• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Metroidvania said:
Maps are being shipped with the H3:R, according to Garnett Lee.
*sadface* I expected them to have the new maps ship with the expansion... but I also expected this to drop earlier. I don't think they can let the MM go that long without a serious map infusion.

MrDaravon

Fall of next year? Really? Really? After all the fuss over the delayed announcement, the very brief teaser trailer, and now it's a year off? Meh. The squad-based stuff needs to work well, it seems like it would be too hard to try to follow up a Halo game where you're not playing as a badass Spartan unless they make it more of a collaborative effort, something like Republic Commando, R6, etc. The fact that we're basically getting a Halo 3 expansion in the form of a ODST prologue two years after Halo 3 ships is pretty disappointing honestly.

Edit: There's no fucking way the new map achievements can be referring to maps shipping with Recon, that would be ridiculous.

TheMWord

Trasher said:
Uhhhh, I think everyone in this thread already knew this too when we watched the trailer for the first time.

Check the date, I said that on July 18. Waaaaaaaaay before the trailer came out (Sep 25).

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
To clarify on the maps being in Halo3:R, Garnett only mentioned that they would ship on the disc....not that they wouldn't be out beforehand.

TDG said:
How can you even say that? We know the name and release date of the game. THAT'S ALL.
We know it's about an ODST (or a group of 'em), we know it's a prologue to Halo 3, and we know it's coming with new multiplayer maps.

Sounds great to me so far, I want to know more, yes, but what are you going to do.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'd hold off on the map thing until we get a Q&A from Bungie themselves, hopefully this Friday. It's all a little confusing for everyone...everyone just take a deep breath, and exhale...that's better

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Awesome news about Halo 3 Recon!

And it's exactly as I posted when the Keep It Clean teaser came up - what happens in New Mombasa through the view of an ODST, as the piece that people wanted to play in Halo 2 but never got to since the Chief left NM...

Fall 2009 huh - I wonder how significant it'll be - probably will be H3R + the five new maps as a DLC retail disc with the option to install to the HDD, not a full game seeing as Halo 3 already has the Achievements ready and waiting for this...

GhaleonEB

Full trailer is up.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=ournextgame

kdighekc.jpg

Metroidvania said:
To clarify on the maps being in Halo3:R, Garnett only mentioned that they would ship on the disc....not that they wouldn't be out beforehand.
Yeah, that's how I read it. I assumed they would release new maps over the next year and have all of the "new" maps on the disc, if you wanted to wait for them. That would make the most sense.

EazyB

Banned
I was hoping their next project was going to be outside the Halo Universe
Was bummed when shown otherwise but at least it looked to be a side-project that wouldn't take to much time
Halo 3: Recon Fall 2009
:(

I hope that doesn't mean this project is really big and thus getting a lot of Bungie's resources.
It's been taking 3 years between previous Halo titles so there's a possibility this game will be Halo-ish sized.

There's always the possibility that they're working on a new IP witch just as much love and manpower as the previous titles but I could be wrong. Crossing my fingers for a Fall 10 release...

Trailer was pretty sweet. Definitely looks darker. SMG with a silencer is pretty interesting. Looks like the Superintendent is going to be guiding you through the campaign. All in all it looks pretty bad ass.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oh man... That trailer is pretty sweet. I just wish Bungie would put environmental effects like that in their games. They haven't done anything quite like that since the last few levels of Halo: CE.

GhaleonEB

Mr Vociferous said:
Trailer was pretty sweet. Definitely looks darker. SMG with a silencer is pretty interesting. Looks like the Superintendent is going to be guiding you through the campaign. All in all it looks pretty bad ass.
Agree. Bummed they went with CG, but the visual style and look is awesome. Playing as an ODST is epic win.

Great new music as well; interesting there wasn't the signature Halo theme in there.

Tashi

that trailer is so weird. Darkness, no real action, rain. It would be totally expected if when the ODST saw the brutes, that he would engage them. He didn't. This game has got a weird and different vibe than what I expected. I'm pretty damn pumped for it.

Frenck

Banned
So the SI will guide the player through the devastated city? This has potential. Maybe he sets off car alarms when Brutes are near the player. A single ODST can't put up much of a fight against a pack of Brutes.

It looks more like a man on mission game than a squad based shooter.

Two things that stuck out the most for me:
125qbec.jpg

New usable weapon? SMG with silence, nice.

v3iphz.jpg

Fatality estimate: 99.99%. Could mean nothing, could mean something.

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
that trailer is so weird. Darkness, no real action, rain. It would be totally expected if when the ODST saw the brutes, that he would engage them. He didn't. This game has got a weird and different vibe than what I expected. I'm pretty damn pumped for it.
It's a teaser; reminds me a bit of the Halo 3 announcement in concept.

We see the setting, what the Covenant are up to, some mysterious AI stuff, the protagonist steps in holding a new gun...and cut.

With fall 2009 the release, we're probably looking at E3 next year until gameplay footage hits. In the meantime, hopefully the Mythic maps fill in the gap. Soon.

Frenck

Banned
Metroidvania said:
Where did we see Silenced SMG's before?

Didn't we see some in some halo 3 concept art/screens?

Halo 2 concept art had both normal and silenced versions of the SMG. I guess the silenced ones were meant for ODSTs.

Trasher

Dax01 said:
Two things that stuck out the most for me:

New usable weapon? SMG with silence, nice.

Fatality estimate: 99.99%. Could me nothing, could me something.
You are right, it could you something, or it could you nothing.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2008/1008-reconpreview.htm

A New Look at the Halo Universe

Published October 8, 2008
Halo 3: Recon Preview

Return to familiar ground on a vital, top-secret mission with a gripping story, co-operative campaign and new multiplayer content. View

To the delight of devoted fans across the world, at the Tokyo Game Show Microsoft debuted Halo 3: Recon, developed exclusively for Xbox 360® by acclaimed developer Bungie. This new chapter in the Halo saga lets you experience events leading up to the epic story told in Halo 3 through the eyes of a new hero in the Halo universe.

The stand-alone expansion, set to release in fall 2009, extends the award-winning Halo® 3 experience with hours of new campaign excursions and multiplayer gameplay. In addition, attendees were given an all-new glimpse of the Xbox 360 exclusive strategy game Halo Wars from Ensemble Studios. The campaign mode provided a thrilling taste of the revolutionary gameplay and new perspective of the Halo universe. Enjoy the full experience when Halo Wars hits retailers in early 2009.
Game Details

This new chapter in the Halo universe includes the following:

• All-new campaign content: The Halo 3: Recon campaign is an intriguing side story that takes place during the terrifying events leading up to the Master Chief’s return to New Mombasa in Halo 3. Experience the fate of Earth from the brand-new perspective of a special forces ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper), adding a unique outlook and new gameplay elements to the events that unfold in the trilogy’s finale. While the feel of this new chapter greatly resembles that of previous Halo experiences, Halo 3: Recon will require you to employ more elements of stealth and cunning than ever before.
  • Prepare to drop: Known for their courage, valor and, at times, insanity, ODSTs are among the fiercest UNSC soldiers, priding themselves on being the first unit deployed into hostile situations. While not as large or supernaturally gifted as their Spartan comrades, these "Hell Jumpers" more than compensate with their ferocious attitudes and unwavering nerve.
  • Expanded multiplayer collection:No Halo experience would be complete without groundbreaking multiplayer content, and Halo 3: Recon gives fans more of what they love. With exclusive new maps and expanded Forge options, Xbox LIVE® Gold members will find more multiplayer content than ever before with Halo 3: Recon.
  • Ever-growing community options: Enjoy all the great Halo 3 technological innovations, including Saved Films, screenshots, Campaign Scoring, and four-player co-op. All of the new multiplayer maps fully support the Forge editor, offering endless gameplay customization possibilities.
By this I'm guessing it's an FPS and that at least some of the new maps (whatever that means) will be exclusive to this game's disc. I hope we at least get a few maps via XBL between now and then. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

radjago

Frenck said:
So the SI will guide the player through the devastated city? This has potential. Maybe he sets off car alarms when Brutes are near the player. A single ODST can't put up much of a fight against a pack of Brutes.

It looks more like a man on mission game than a squad based shooter.
I'm sure he'll meet up with some other characters on his wacky adventures in New Mombasa.

EazyB said:
Was bummed when shown otherwise but at least it looked to be a side-project that wouldn't take to much time

I hope that doesn't mean this project is really big and thus getting a lot of Bungie's resources.
It's been taking 3 years between previous Halo titles so there's a possibility this game will be Halo-ish sized.

There's always the possibility that they're working on a new IP witch just as much love and manpower as the previous titles but I could be wrong. Crossing my fingers for a Fall 10 release...

Bungie said:
Bungie has several projects underway within the studio, one of which is a brand new campaign experience for Halo 3 that we teased two weeks ago.

Seems like they are telling you what you want to hear

DarkJC

If you're looking for the trailer on the marketplace, to find it I went to Genres -> Shooters -> Halo 3: Recon. Right under Halo 3.

The game details over at xbox.com make it sound as if this is going to be a more fully-featured title than I was expecting-- co-op, Forge, screenshots, saved films-- all of the good stuff from Halo 3.

My interest is definitely piqued.

Frenck

Banned
Awesome, so it's confirmed that this is a man on a mission game!

Now I'm really looking forward to this. Something tells me that you will really learn to fear the Covenant in H3R.

Trasher

EazyB said:

You are just mad because you can't wear flight!

I'm happy with this trailer, and it's got me pumped for next year.

Tashi

GhaleonEB said:
It's a teaser; reminds me a bit of the Halo 3 announcement in concept.

We see the setting, what the Covenant are up to, some mysterious AI stuff, the protagonist steps in holding a new gun...and cut.

With fall 2009 the release, we're probably looking at E3 next year until gameplay footage hits. In the meantime, hopefully the Mythic maps fill in the gap. Soon.

Yea I know but in the Halo 3 announcement trailer you've got Master Chief Standing over a cliff with assault rifle in hand, banshee's flying over him, epic music and broad daylight...you've got none of that in this. I'm not saying I want that over the top epic style, I'm really diggin this "teaser" a lot. I have a feeling the game is gonna be totally different than Halo 3 proper and not because of different people or First person vs 3rd person but just the battles, the scale, maybe and hopefully the environments. I'm really looking forward to it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
hmmm, between the xbox.com stuff and the subtitle "recon" i think this may be truly stealth based ala MGS. during the trailer you see the SI flash "keep right, caution ahead" on the billboards warning the odst about the patrolling brutes. maybe he'll play an intricate role in guiding you along and keeping you safe. far more then cortana did for the mc anyways.

cant wait to see real gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom