• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TDG said:
Well, considering that you complained so bitterly about people judging your buying decisions back when you first proclaimed that you can't wait to buy Halo Wars, it's strange to see you indulging in such open hypocrisy.

Um, what?
1. I don't care if you buy the game or not.
2. All I was saying is that reason you gave was a pretty stupid.
3. Go back and find any posts in which I am "bitterly complaining" about people harassing my buying decisions.

The "non-essential" staff who got fired by MS in August, or the "essential" staff who're getting fired by MS once the game ships?
I'd be pretty disappointed if I had spent time working hard to create a game only for a person not to buy it because they disagree with a move made by a certain publisher.

Edit:
EazyB said:
Sigh...
Coupling CE Halo Wars with the maps sorta gives the CE of Halo Wars extra value for those planning on buying it. But there is no reason those maps can't be released simultaneously on XBLMP so that those who can't afford the CE or who aren't interesting it Halo Wars can get the maps.
I'm not disagreeing with you on this. The only thing I am doing is trying to find the positive out of all the negative. I'm going to play a new Halo game on the third and will able to play some new maps. While it is disheartening to see MS treat the franchise like this, there's nothing I can do about it.

"You take the good, you take the bad, and there you have the facts of life."

EazyB said:
No one is hating on the game Halo Wars. Many are upset at how MS has chosen to distribute Bungie's content with the game. It benefits no one other than MGS's pockets.

Exactly. It will be interesting to see how long we have to wait until we are informed of the XBLMP availability of the next map pack now that we have a release date for HW.

EazyB

Banned
Dax01 said:
I'd be pretty disappointed if I had spent time working hard to create a game only for a person not to buy it because they disagree with a move made by a certain publisher.
If I had worked at Ensemble and was fired the last thing I would worry about is whether the publisher that fired me got more money for the hard work I did before being fired.
GM Bullfrog said:
Exactly. It will be interesting to see how long we have to wait until we are informed of the XBLMP availability of the next map pack now that we have a release date for HW.
Judging by how stingy they've been with the Legendary pack and how desperate they are to sell Halo Wars I wouldn't expect to hear anything until after Halo Wars ships.

EazyB said:
If I had worked at Ensemble and was fired the last thing I would worry about is whether the publisher that fired me got more money for the hard work I did before being fired.
So you want me to not play the game that you put so much effort into making? That's a waste.

GM Bullfrog said:
But you can.
No I can't.

TDG

Banned
Dax01 said:
Um, what?
1. I don't care if you buy the game or not.
2. All I was saying is that reason you gave was a pretty stupid.
3. Go back and find any posts in which I am "bitterly complaining" about people harassing my buying decisions.
You don't care whether I buy the game, yet you feel like critiquing my reasons for not buying it? Smh.

And look, I was going to link to the posts then decided not to go there, but since you asked. (3 seperate links where you become more and more defensive and upset that people are questioning you.)
Dax01 said:
Oh bullshit. You'd be more pissed off at Microsoft for aquiring your company then firing you just because they want to make cuts to MGS than anybody here is at MS for this maps shit. And you'd be a lot more busy, you know, looking for a job than you would be wondering if GAF user "TDG" is giving his money to the people who fired you. For fuck's sakes. :lol

vhfive said:
not this shit again

attempts to derail:

stroy time
this motherfucker is so dead
http://i36.tinypic.com/166iqs1.jpg[IMG]

success?
[IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/2zxs2fc.jpg[IMG]

fail
[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/30u6ah1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Good try, I lol'd :lol

TDG said:
You don't care whether I buy the game, yet you feel like critiquing my reasons for not buying it? Smh.

It was a statement, nothing more.

And look, I was going to link to the posts then decided not to go there, but since you asked. (3 seperate links where you become more and more defensive and upset that people are questioning you.)

Holy shit! There is SO much BITTER COMPLAINING about people judging my buying decisions it's crazy!

Dax01 said:
Holy shit! There is SO much BITTER COMPLAINING about people judging my buying decisions it's crazy!

The reason we are "bitter" is because you (and many others like you) are the reason M$ is able to do this in the first place. You can choose to not purchase Halo Wars. You can choose to let M$ know it isn't acceptable. But you are choosing to enable future instances of this by buying Halo Wars CE.

TDG

Banned
Dax01 said:
It was a statement, nothing more.
Whatever bro.
Dax01 said:
You say right in there that you shouldn't have to explain you buying decisions other people, and now you're calling my decision not to buy a game that I barely cared about in the first place "extremely stupid." Now, if you want to argue that you weren't being a complete hypocrite, or that your complaining was, in fact, semi-sweet, not bitter, I don't give a fuck. I'm so tired of splitting hairs with you.

So, are you interested in getting back to that thing where in today's economy, rather than job searching, you'd be worrying about whether I'm going to give money to the company that fired you?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Shishka said:
GAF's a bit familiar with this. Your time on favorites should have taught you what to expect when someone doesn't like your submission. ;)

9de0b5fdf849d8dee30320a48a25629f.gif

Dirtbag

Dax01 said:
Life is full of disappointment. I'd be more disappointed that my studio was closed and I was out of a job.

The designers were paid to do their job, they did it, they got paid. They succeeded. End of story. That's life and business.
You have no idea how many things are created that never see the light of day, and how many people's efforts went behind them. You relish in the journey and they have a product to show for it.

SpudBud

Man I wanted to buy Halo Wars..cause..ya know Halo + RTS makes me happy in the pants but now....

Damn you HaloGAF for ruining my enthusiasm for this fine Microsoft published title!

No really. MS is fucking with the Halo 3 community, so fuck MS. I am not going to give a dime to MS for Halo Wars.

TDG said:
You say right in there that you shouldn't have to explain you buying decisions other people, and now you're calling my decision not to buy a game that I barely cared about in the first place "extremely stupid." Now, if you want to argue that you weren't being a complete hypocrite, or that your complaining was, in fact, semi-sweet, not bitter, I don't give a fuck. I'm so tired of splitting hairs with you.

None of those posts you linked I was bitterly complaining. And even out of those three, you only brought up one in which I didn't even mean to come off as "complaining." I wasn't irritated, dissatisfied, or in a state of resentment. I was making a statement that I shouldn't have to explain my buying decisions to other people. You say you are tired of of "splitting hairs" with me, yet you haven't found one conclusive part in any of those posts in which I am bitterly complaining.

So, are you interested in getting back to that thing where in today's economy, rather than job searching, you'd be worrying about whether I'm going to give money to the company that fired you?
If I do something for a living, it will be because I enjoy it, not for the amount of money I make. You should play the game, and I would want you to play it so you can enjoy it. I can also see how someone would not want another to buy this game for those reasons.

But I guess that's just me, so, whatever.

The reason we are "bitter" is because you (and many others like you) are the reason M$ is able to do this in the first place. You can choose to not purchase Halo Wars. You can choose to let M$ know it isn't acceptable. But you are choosing to enable future instances of this by buying Halo Wars CE.

I want the game, I want a nice DVD case, and I want a comic by Eric Nylund. I had already decided that I was going to buy a Halo Wars CE in the same way I have already decided that I am going to buy an Alan Wake CE if there is one.

Dirtbag

SpudBud said:
Man I wanted to buy Halo Wars..cause..ya know Halo + RTS makes me happy in the pants but now....

Damn you HaloGAF for ruining my enthusiasm for this fine Microsoft published title!

No really. MS is fucking with the Halo 3 community, so fuck MS. I am not going to give a dime to MS for Halo Wars.

Buy it!
Just don't buy the special edition.
I mean if the game is good, it should fall under your same criterion shouldn't it?
Good games deserve good sales, if it's good I hope it does well.

I'm going an extra step further (and skipping the game at retail entirely) just to fight back fire with fire, but I don't think you need to protest the game outright to send the same message.

Azar

The most disappointing thing about this Halo Wars shit is the way it's going to further fragment the community, as someone mentioned. It'd bad enough the Legendary maps have yet to go free. When another map pack comes out with a staggered release, it's going to be even worse.

But you know what? I took a break from Halo for a few weeks, and over the weekend was in two great HaloGAF sessions. Big Team is still fun as shit, and it's not going to stop being fun anytime soon. I can wait for the new maps without too much disappointment.

fin

Shishka said:
I started the CTF entry over a month ago to see what kind of content I could get if I provided a focus for aspiring map makers. The results have been... Unfortunate. To put it frankly, I don't believe enough variants of that meet the quality bar.

It's dissapointing that the Halo community, which I thought there would be a ton of 14-18 year olds churning out maps, can't get something worth while together. But it's also a result of the limitations of the Forge. I've been ranting about community content on here for a while, it just seems like it should work. But I think the cummunity is lacking the proper tools.

Maybe Sandbox will spark the community?

dax said:
If I do something for a living, it will be because I enjoy it, not for the amount of money I make.

I remember thinking like that...those were the days.
:(
But I'm with you dax, Halo Wars looks pretty cool. I'm in for $79.99. The last console RTS I was hooked on was StarCraft
. Believe it or not, my friends and I would play that for hours. So I figure if I liked that I should dig some Halo Wars.

Dirtbag said:
I'm going an extra step further (and skipping the game at retail entirely) just to fight back fire with fire, but I don't think you need to protest the game outright to send the same message.

You can't fight fire with fire without one of these

Dirtbag

Azar said:
The most disappointing thing about this Halo Wars shit is the way it's going to further fragment the community, as someone mentioned. It'd bad enough the Legendary maps have yet to go free. When another map pack comes out with a staggered release, it's going to be even worse.

But you know what? I took a break from Halo for a few weeks, and over the weekend was in two great HaloGAF sessions. Big Team is still fun as shit, and it's not going to stop being fun anytime soon. I can wait for the new maps without too much disappointment.

What I picture them doing, or what they probably should have done all along (short of making the maps free after a certain amount of time): Add the old maps to the new map pack, so there is only one map-pack ever available on marketplace and it's value continues to rise given the increase in total maps, though its price remains the same points value. That way someone won't hit this messy situation we are fast approaching where there are multiple mappacks for purchase but none being mandatory.

Dax01 said:
If I do something for a living, it will be because I enjoy it, not for the amount of money I make.

:)

In the end guys, all you can do is vote with your own wallet. Maybe Dax will be the only one to purchase it and this will never happen again. I would think it's highly unlikely the people who buy Halo Wars CE will even be able to get matched up with anyone in MM. Even with a dedicated playlist, Halo Wars CE will have to sell gangbusters and then have no one bother to play it and go straight back to Halo

I mean seriously. By including the maps in Halo Wars, they are sort of indirectly showing their lack of confidence in Halo Wars multiplayer.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dirtbag said:
What I picture them doing, or what they probably should have done all along short of making hte maps free after a certain amount of time: Add the old maps to the new map pack, so there is only one map-pack ever available on marketplace and it's value continues to rise given the increase in total maps.

Wouldn't work. Heroic DLC required playlists would now require people to buy the Legendary Maps (that would come with the Heroic maps in your scenario).

Unless, of course, every Heroic DLC required playlist became Legendary required as well.

Dirtbag

Domino Theory said:
Wouldn't work. Heroic DLC required playlists would now require people to buy the Legendary Maps (that would come with the Heroic maps in your scenario).

Unless, of course, every Heroic DLC required playlist became Legendary required as well.

You don't include the free pack silly!

Just combine Legendary and Mythic, and continue to call it Mythic.
if you already have legendary maps, too bad. they won't download again. there will be no free code for people who own the legendary map pack already, allowing you to ebay your code should you have it already. One big download. Maybe it auto-detects whether you already have legendary pack, maybe it doesnt and it just saves over the maps.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dirtbag said:
You don't include the free pack silly!

Just combine Legendary and Mythic, and continue to call it Mythic.
if you already have legendary maps, too bad. they won't download again.

Yeah, but you're talking about "one map pack to download on the Marketplace, ever" so that'd have to include the Heroic Map Pack. :p

But I like that idea. Have Mythic be 6 maps (well, 6 for people w/o Legendary in this case) and for 800 points.
Although Mythic was originally supposed to be 6 maps in itself, no? :(

Edit: Whoops, just got your reference with not adding the free map pack. Duh. :lol

Edit2: To be honest, I can see why Microsoft won't make the Legendary Maps free. Do they really need to? Halo 3 had the continued onslaught from Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty: World at War AND Gears of War 2 yet the only outcome was Halo 3 climbing back to the top as the most played game over Xbox Live.

Azar

That sounds like a nice plan. I doubt it'll happen, but it would certainly be a much cleaner way to deal with the situation.

If you guys really want to stick it to Microsoft, mod your Xbox and pirate Halo Wars. There's the ultimate Fuck You!

Until they ban you from Xbox Live.

FourDoor

I'm buying Halo Wars since it's part of the Halo Universe and I am a Halo fan.

I am no longer buying the CE version just to get the maps early in protest of this exploitation.

Bundling the Halo3 beta with crackdown was different... This timed exclusive map bundle takes it to a whole new level.

I just hope the maps don't stay exclusive to Halo Wars for more than a month.

Dirtbag

Domino Theory said:
Edit2: To be honest, I can see why Microsoft won't make the Legendary Maps free. Do they really need to? Halo 3 had the continued onslaught from Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty: World at War AND Gears of War 2 yet the only outcome was Halo 3 climbing back to the top as the most played game over Xbox Live.

Yeah I agree.
It should be free... but in business terms you can make your future sale of Mythic even more appetizing by sweetening the pot with the 3 previously released maps, and perhaps entice someone who was on the fence about $10 for 3 maps into justifying $10 for 6 maps. Added value.

The problem still remains that the DLC maps just don't appear in general matchmaking enough, bungie would have to find/use a new way of match selection for them to appear more often for everyone to be happy. As it stands the biggest supporters (those who've faithfully bought the mappacks day1) are still kind of screwed on playing them. The playlists that don't require certain packs are becoming pretty stale.

FourDoor

Domino Theory said:

If the current maps are switched to free status, there is NOTHING on XBLM that can be purchased for Halo3 since we aren't getting new maps until next year.

My comment on fragmentation of the Halo population due to Halo Wars:

The same 13 year old kids who play Halo 3 do not have the attention span to play an RTS. They will get their ass kicked online 2 times because they don't understand it and sell the fucking game and go back to H3.

My comment on more whining about not seeing the maps in H3 sooner:

MM delicious

My comment on the user created bs:

I'm not even going to try, Lukems or Shiska will see my name on something and immediately click delete, yes they are that petty.

Oh and March 3rd Motherfucker~! DAY ONE!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dirtbag said:
The problem still remains that the DLC maps just don't appear in general matchmaking enough, bungie would have to find/use a new way of match selection for them to appear more often for everyone to be happy.

Hmm, is it possible for matchmaking to do a process where if there is a full party (depending on playlist size) searching in said playlist, that the priority for seaching for opponents would be another full party in which all members of said party have the Legendary Maps?

Dirtbag

Domino Theory said:
Hmm, is it possible for matchmaking to do a process where if there is a full party (depending on playlist size) searching in said playlist, that the priority for seaching for opponents would be another full party in which all members of said party have the Legendary Maps?
I don't know.
Whatever it is doing currently, its not enough.

I don't know if Bungie has ever released the data on what percentage of Halo 3s players has the legendary maps, but why couldn't they instead of having the DLC playlists have non-DLC playlists. Make the legendary maps required for all of the playlists except for a slayer and an objective playlist for the people who haven't picked up the maps. That way the super fans who want to use the maps they paid for
us
would be happy and the people who didn't want to buy the legendary maps could all play together in their playlists.

Captain Blood said:
I don't know if Bungie has ever released the data on what percentage of Halo 3s players has the legendary maps, but why couldn't they instead of having the DLC playlists have non-DLC playlists. Make the legendary maps required for all of the playlists except for a slayer and an objective playlist for the people who haven't picked up the maps. That way the super fans who want to use the maps they paid for
us
would be happy and the people who didn't want to buy the legendary maps could all play together in their playlists.

Sounds good to me.

Captain Blood said:
us

I'm already annoyed enough I can't do Team SWAT without the extra maps. It's sort of a chicken and the egg thing. If I knew I would enjoy Team SWAT, I would get the maps and enjoy myself. But without the maps, I don't know if Team SWAT has the staying power to be worth the maps.

But really, you can't sell a game like this and be like, Multiplayer only fun if you spend 20(ish? I dunno really) extra dollars on top of retail. I mean can you really say to people 'No, you can't play Squad battle for $60! You needs our EXTRA SPECIAL maps to do that!' It's ridiculous, and that would something to be worried about, not this Halo Wars CE stuff.

Johnkers

The fact that they took away Team Doubles from us non-buying heathens is bad enough, now it takes FOREVER for me and a friend to find non-laggy games.

If they took away Team Slayer I'd simply give up on Halo for good :(

Domino Theory said:

Reading that makes me think about getting it, and I haven't played a fighting game since the days of the SNES.

PedroLumpy and Johnkers - What are your reasons for not getting the maps when they come out? Just out of curiosity. If you enjoy playing Halo 3, as I would assume you do since you are still playing it now nearly 15 months after launch, why not pay the money to get the maps?

fin

alisdair said:
In the members-only Bungie.net Atlas group forum, Shishka writes:

Pretty rad idea: combining the awesomeness of Team Flag with community maps. I hope this works out, although there seems to be a very small number of map submissions so far.

Any GAFfers have a CTF map or map idea? Eazy, I think you should submit Smalhalla for CTF Classic.

I get an error when trying this site. Anyone else?

Johnkers

GM Bullfrog said:
Reading that makes me think about getting it, and I haven't played a fighting game since the days of the SNES.

PedroLumpy and Johnkers - What are your reasons for not getting the maps when they come out? Just out of curiosity. If you enjoy playing Halo 3, as I would assume you do since you are still playing it now nearly 15 months after launch, why not pay the money to get the maps?

There's a few reasons really, one is that I'm just not used to paying for maps (PC background), am still happy enjoying the disc maps so I don't have the need to buy more. I also have more games to play/buy so would rather budget my money on for those usually.

However that said, I would still be happy to buy the maps if my friends did too since I rarely if ever play without them.

Shishka

Works for Bungie
fin said:
It's dissapointing that the Halo community, which I thought there would be a ton of 14-18 year olds churning out maps, can't get something worth while together. But it's also a result of the limitations of the Forge. I've been ranting about community content on here for a while, it just seems like it should work. But I think the cummunity is lacking the proper tools.

Maybe Sandbox will spark the community?

I think you're giving the concept of a community a little too much credit.

In every mod community ever conceived, regardless of the power/flexibility/feature set of the tools at their disposal, the vast majority of content created will be awful. Just like how using a certain brand of brush won't instantly make you a better painter, a more powerful editing suite doesn't instill within the user an understanding of form and flow and design. Sitting on ForgeHub learning how to whittle away hours partially submerging boxes with the walls and floor doesn't guarantee that the map will be fun to play Slayer on. Many of the maps I get from people are meant more for looking at than playing in.

Unfortunately, groups latch onto concepts and tricks as the way maps are "supposed" to be made and rebuke any map that does not meet their standard, regardless as to whether or not the map is fun. As a result the community doesn't challenge itself to create better Halo maps, merely prettier ones. Screenshots are in the same boat; the "best" screenshot is a Spartan with a sniper rifle set against explosions and blown out lighting, and if your file share doesn't contain an example of this you are a failure for it.

Sigh.

fin

Domino Theory said:
You need to be a member of the group to view the forum.

I'm slow sometimes...

Anyone wanna get some custom ctf and assualt games going? Test out some maps?

Shishka said:

In every mod community ever conceived, regardless of the power/flexibility/feature set of the tools at their disposal, the vast majority of content created will be awful. Just like how using a certain brand of brush won't instantly make you a better painter, a more powerful editing suite doesn't instill within the user an understanding of form and flow and design. Sitting on ForgeHub learning how to whittle away hours partially submerging boxes with the walls and floor doesn't guarantee that the map will be fun to play Slayer on. Many of the maps I get from people are meant more for looking at than playing in.

Unfortunately, groups latch onto concepts and tricks as the way maps are "supposed" to be made and rebuke any map that does not meet their standard, regardless as to whether or not the map is fun. As a result the community doesn't challenge itself to create better Halo maps, merely prettier ones. Screenshots are in the same boat; the "best" screenshot is a Spartan with a sniper rifle set against explosions and blown out lighting, and if your file share doesn't contain an example of this you are a failure for it.

Sigh.

Most of the time I envy your position at Bungie, other times not so much. I agree with what your saying.

I've been playing LBP a little and the community maps are exactly like you say, 10% worth playing, 10% ammusing, 80% junk. But there isn't someone at Sony searching the internet on there PC looking for levels. Then play testing the shit out of things to make sure it's ok, it all happens after-that-fact.

Sticking with the analogy; I'd argue that the Forge isn't really a brush or a pencil. More like trying to make art with stensils. People have done it, some of the MLG maps and maps that use the glitch to get an unlimited budget are crazy. But the time it takes to do all that geo-modding stuff is crazy. Most people don't have time for that, I don't. Hell, I thought after graduating I'd have lots of time to work on a 'protfolio' lol, not so much. The people that do have time for all this probably are interested in just what you said, having it look cool and the such.

But the people making these maps, the community, would be even more incentivised if they seen some fruits of their, and your labour. This could help the quality of community maps. At the start there will probably be some stinkers. But if it gets people playing Halo more, that the goal right?

I dunno what I'm trying to say, I just want new maps. Broken record, I know, I'm thinking about deleting this post...but what the hey?

Striker

There's a bunch of maps I downloaded from ForgeHub that would work great for Team Flag. They really should use more community maps for the playlists. Not simply MLG. While many of the created MLG maps I've seen are great, those same creators can still make excellent non-MLG maps just as well.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Shishka said:

Sigh.

Hey, I have a crazy proposal. How about you select a few groups (preferrably groups that have already been on Bungie Favorites such as ourselves) and have said groups compile a bunch of Objective maps and give them to the organizer (if referring to our group, then that'd be me) and then have said organizer submit those maps to you?

To me, that'd be a lot easier than creating one group and have the random people in that group submit theirs maps. So it would be you telling the other groups "Hey W, X, Y, and Z, I want you guys to tell your group members to submit their Objective maps to you, then you'll submit them to me."

It'd really be a shame to let this temporary CTF playlist idea go.

FourDoor

fin said:
Anyonw wanna get some custom ctf and assualt games going? Test out some maps?

I'm up for some customs tonight early on. Who has the latest and greatest maps thats the buzz of the forums right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom