• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourDoor

MLG forged maps got accepted since they were pushed by a large community that have tweaked and refined the maps they have come up with. Outside of the MLG I don't see any other organization/group having that much say and being that vocal to get their views accepted by most of the masses.

As large and as loud as the Bungie.net community is, it is completely unorganized without one central voice/direction telling Bungie what they really want because in reality, they do not know what they want.

fin

Domino Theory said:
Hey, I have a crazy proposal. How about you select a few groups (preferrably groups that have already been on Bungie Favorites such as ourselves) and have said groups compile a bunch of Objective maps and give them to the organizer (if referring to our group, then that'd be me) and then have said organizer submit those maps to you?

To me, that'd be a lot easier than creating one group and have the random people in that group submit theirs maps. So it would be you telling the other groups "Hey W, X, Y, and Z, I want you guys to tell your group members to submit their Objective maps to you, then you'll submit them to me."

It'd really be a shame to let this temporary CTF playlist idea go.

Check out the ATLAS group on BNET. It's looks like they're attempting some of what you've said. But yeah see my earlier post for my thoughts...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
fin said:
Check out the ATLAS group on BNET. It's looks like they're attempting some of what you've said. But yeah see my earlier post for my thoughts...

From what I know (keep in mind I'm not part of the Atlas group), it seems like whoever signs up for the group and gets accepted can submit content. I'm talking about Shishka talking to the leaders of past and present Bungie Favorites' groups and have them talk to their respective group members to submit their content.

It's like Shishka is the president and he's telling the other 50 governors to submit a review sheet instead of the president himself going to all 50 states and getting review sheets.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Captain Blood said:
I don't know if Bungie has ever released the data on what percentage of Halo 3s players has the legendary maps, but why couldn't they instead of having the DLC playlists have non-DLC playlists. Make the legendary maps required for all of the playlists except for a slayer and an objective playlist for the people who haven't picked up the maps. That way the super fans who want to use the maps they paid for
us
would be happy and the people who didn't want to buy the legendary maps could all play together in their playlists.
Then everyone who didn't want to buy the maps would complain that they pay $50 a year and are limited to two playlists.

fin

FourDoor said:
I'm up for some customs tonight early on. Who has the latest and greatest maps thats the buzz of the forums right now?

I've downloaded a few of them.

Domino Theory said:
From what I know (keep in mind I'm not part of the Atlas group), it seems like whoever signs up for the group and gets accepted can submit content. I'm talking about Shishka talking to the leaders of past and present Bungie Favorites' groups and have them talk to their respective group members to submit their content.

It's like Shishka is the president and he's telling the other 50 governors to submit a review sheet instead of the president himself going to all 50 states and getting review sheets.

Check out the group, see the forum, get some maps. Some of them look pretty cool.

Cocopjojo said:
Then everyone who didn't want to buy the maps would complain that they pay $50 a year and are limited to two playlists.

That is why I am curious what the breakdown is for the amount of people who did purchase the Legendary maps and who didn't.

Shishka

Works for Bungie
fin said:
But the people making these maps, the community, would be even more incentivised if they seen some fruits of their, and your labour. This could help the quality of community maps. At the start there will probably be some stinkers. But if it gets people playing Halo more, that the goal right?

Yes and no. There are people who make content specifically because they want/expect some kind of reward for it. That reward could be recon, internet-fame, a handjob from Urk, some form of personal recognition.

The reality of it though is that even that doesn't make someone a good designer. Just a busier one. How many people do you think believe they can get recon if their screenshots are put on Bungie Favorites, and how many of those people do you think message me on a daily basis with their screenshots, and how many of that group of people actually take quality screenshots? You've met the internet, so I'm sure you can do the math.

Ultimately, this is a situation I blame myself on. I'd have loved to have spent more time with Foundry, for example, producing some different maps and giving people some frame of reference. Sure, people might've scoffed because I didn't merge two boxes, or because "omg he used rockets in Foundry map is for nubs lawl," but the people that have potential to make quality maps would have a frame some frames of reference for how to place spawns, respawn zones, and how to use these in conjunction with objectives and item placement to direct movement through a map. I have a plan to rectify this, but it will be some time before that plan is exacted upon the world. Until then, I have Atlas, which allows me to provide some direct feedback, make clear my expectations, and at the same time, provide the community a place that is clique-agnostic to post their maps without having to worry about being told my someone that their map is inferior because it doesn't use the right assortment of tricks. For now, I hope that the combination of Atlas' guidelines and my own feedback (which I leave in threads on the forum) helps give people an idea as to the standard I hold map submissions up to.

I dunno what I'm trying to say, I just want new maps. Broken record, I know, I'm thinking about deleting this post...but what the hey?

I hear you. At least you know they're coming, right?

Domino Theory said:
Hey, I have a crazy proposal. How about you select a few groups (preferrably groups that have already been on Bungie Favorites such as ourselves) and have said groups compile a bunch of Objective maps and give them to the organizer (if referring to our group, then that'd be me) and then have said organizer submit those maps to you?

To me, that'd be a lot easier than creating one group and have the random people in that group submit theirs maps. So it would be you telling the other groups "Hey W, X, Y, and Z, I want you guys to tell your group members to submit their Objective maps to you, then you'll submit them to me."

It'd really be a shame to let this temporary CTF playlist idea go.

It's been brought up, but ultimately it's not easier for me because, frankly, I don't feel there's a group I can trust with such a task. A similar experiment was done with Halo 2. Make a playlist dedicated to community-made gametypes, and give it to a different group after a given period to populate how they'd like to do it. The result was mostly a goat rodeo, and I believe the playlist died after the second or third group to have a stake in it. The players didn't like the list, the groups had trouble adding value to the list or making it particularly different. We had three or four groups that we didn't even get to because their gametypes were all virtually the same, yet those same gametypes already existed in similar form in Matchmaking in hoppers that were not doing well.

On top of considering community specific issues, I also have to keep in mind that, hey, Team Objective, which is almost 40% CTF gametypes, is not doing well. As Eazy pointed out, taking a couple objective gametypes out of the lineup might not necessarily make the playlist MORE popular. The risk involved in making longer-than-a-weekend objective hopper while an established hopper is struggling is pretty apparent, imo. I'd rather prioritize ensuring that the full time playlists are solid before adding extra timed playlists that may end up being redundant. Like, imagine if right before RBTB retired had I added a RBTB double EXP playlist that occurred every weekend? It would have done more harm than good to the full time playlist which was on its last legs to begin with.

TO is an interesting quandry. It's hard to identify what exactly the problem is, outside of the fact that most people just want to play slayer. Ask different people, get different answers. Ask Luke, for example, and he'll complain that certain gametypes (that are not, and have never been in the hopper to begin with) need to be removed. Further, those same gametypes are in the social version of that hopper, which is doing just fine.

Dirtbag

well a big part of what's wrong with all the ranked objective playlists....

objective games will never be as popular as slayer games and because of this fact,
once you hit mid-levels, or your group has such a nice range in skill levels - it takes entirely too long to find a match. If your group has anyone in the 40's, we are pretty much forced to play the really popular or social gametypes, or risk waiting 5+ minutes finding matches. Its hard to keep a group happy or in the mood to play for long when you spend lots of time searching for matches. I know after halo 2 and 'getting host' I've pretty much lost the patience to wait for so long.

I remember in halo 2 when we would usually spend around 20 minutes between rounds just trying to get host so we wouldnt get cheated. Who wants to do that again? I know I surely don't.

fin

It's definately an interesting situation. I see why Shishka gets paid for what he does, people get a different, clearer view on things when it's there job, not just a hobby. Thanks for the post Shishka.

LukeSmith

Shishka said:
TO is an interesting quandry. It's hard to identify what exactly the problem is, outside of the fact that most people just want to play slayer. Ask different people, get different answers. Ask Luke, for example, and he'll complain that certain gametypes (that are not, and have never been in the hopper to begin with) need to be removed. Further, those same gametypes are in the social version of that hopper, which is doing just fine.

Phantom Pistols on Lockout were in Team Slayer, dude.
I swear.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Shishka said:
It's been brought up, but ultimately it's not easier for me because, frankly, I don't feel there's a group I can trust with such a task. A similar experiment was done with Halo 2. Make a playlist dedicated to community-made gametypes, and give it to a different group after a given period to populate how they'd like to do it. The result was mostly a goat rodeo, and I believe the playlist died after the second or third group to have a stake in it. The players didn't like the list, the groups had trouble adding value to the list or making it particularly different. We had three or four groups that we didn't even get to because their gametypes were all virtually the same, yet those same gametypes already existed in similar form in Matchmaking in hoppers that were not doing well.

Hmm, my idea wasn't more about having a specific group be in charge of the playlist, but rather have each group round up a handful of maps, then submit them to you, and thus you are the sole person to be in charge of the playlist. My idea was more towards rounding up a huge quantity of content rather than controlling a playlist (which sounds too ambitious :p).

Shishka said:
On top of considering community specific issues, I also have to keep in mind that, hey, Team Objective, which is almost 40% CTF gametypes, is not doing well. As Eazy pointed out, taking a couple objective gametypes out of the lineup might not necessarily make the playlist MORE popular. The risk involved in making longer-than-a-weekend objective hopper while an established hopper is struggling is pretty apparent, imo. I'd rather prioritize ensuring that the full time playlists are solid before adding extra timed playlists that may end up being redundant. Like, imagine if right before RBTB retired had I added a RBTB double EXP playlist that occurred every weekend? It would have done more harm than good to the full time playlist which was on its last legs to begin with.

Agreed. Adding that twist to Team Objective would certainly increase its popularity.

Now when you talk of the social version of Team Objective (Social Skirmish, yes?), that playlist could use a "Flag only" scenario and/or community-made maps. It would be nice to see games such as One Flag on Construct and Guardian or Multi-Flag on Boundless and Epilogue.

Right now, we have gametypes like VIP, 1 sided VIP, and Land Grab being a part of the playlist which, honestly (and I'm sure you've heard this enough), people do not enjoy. Social Skirmish could be something great if it was our "Social Flag" or Flag (heavily weighted) with a little Bomb and Territories (which is actually pretty fun to play on maps like Last Resort and High Ground)

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up The Art of Halo 3 today. To say this it is impressive would be an understatement. The artists at Bungie are amazing. Everyone who likes the game's visuals even a little should buy this.

Striker

It's been overly discussed how disliked VIP is. Perhaps if things get modified (elimination style, no icons, etc.) it could improve. But that will only happen by experimenting with it first in Social Skirmish. Get good results from positive feedback, and then it could be included for Team Objective again. It's not a fun gametype, IMO, and many here would agree. Until then, I really like Team Objective based off Neutral Bomb, Multi Flag, 1 CTF, Oddball, and a small dab of King of the Hill and One Bomb.

As for using a group from Bungie Favs -- many maps from the Bungie Favorites haven't exactly been very good, let's be honest. Maps are needed for balance, competitiveness, and enjoyment. Add some yourself from ForgeHub and highlight the most popular, or downloaded, maps in general.

Thermite

Cocopjojo said:
Picked up The Art of Halo 3 today. To say this it is impressive would be an understatement. The artists at Bungie are amazing. Everyone who likes the game's visuals even a little should buy this.

My copy of this should be here either tomorrow or, by the latest, Wednesday. I can't wait to start gawking and drooling at all the artwork. :D

I really liked the first Halo artbook, "The Art of Halo: Creating A Virtual World", so I'm really looking forward to this one. Halo 3 just has so much freaking amazing art. (Also, this can't be stated enough: hardcover = instant orgasm.)

Edit: How much environmental art is there, Cocop?

EazyB

Banned
Shishka said:
TO is an interesting quandary. It's hard to identify what exactly the problem is, outside of the fact that most people just want to play slayer. Ask different people, get different answers. Ask Luke, for example, and he'll complain that certain gametypes (that are not, and have never been in the hopper to begin with) need to be removed. Further, those same gametypes are in the social version of that hopper, which is doing just fine.
There are too many variables to determine what's really hurting TO. Also, comparing hoppers from ranked against social ones is a tricky deal. It's fairly obvious that most of the hardcore players don't like VIP and to a lesser degree Land Grab and Territories but the casual Halo player love some strange stuff and they make up the majority of the Halo 3 player base.

I have only the faint idea of what tools you have to analyze matchmaking/veto data but if possible, it would be cool to split a playlist in two for a week (lets say Social Skirmish into Social Skirmish X & Social Skirmish Y) with different (and clearly defined) gametypes in each. OF course splitting a playlist can be a bad thing but making it temporary would let you narrow in on what makes an objective playlist popular and spice things up for the players. Of course this seems like a lot of work and the payoff may be pretty insignificant.

If anything I'd rather have fresh new playlists as opposed to fixing crippled ones. Anything to make the wait for new maps easier.

Cocopjojo said:

Amazon.com has it for 19 bucks too, I have some gift certificates saved up too, but I don't know if I want to use them up just yet.

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
It's wrapped and under my sparkling tree. I have caressed it.

GM Bullfrog said:
PedroLumpy and Johnkers - What are your reasons for not getting the maps when they come out? Just out of curiosity. If you enjoy playing Halo 3, as I would assume you do since you are still playing it now nearly 15 months after launch, why not pay the money to get the maps?

Forgive the late reply, was busy this evening.

I should tell you, you probably assume I enjoy Halo multiplayer more than I do. I still love single player, and I still lurk in this thread for news, and for the hope that one day I will find my niche in the Halo community. But I do not play the multiplayer regularly anymore. I've really tried a couple times to enjoy it, but I haven't. Getting into the mechanics of what bothers me would be self-centered tripe, suffice to say that it's not for me. Hence I did not buy the maps, since I don't play online much. But it did REALLY annoy me when Team SWAT was made Legendary only because I thought that might be the gametype for me. I only got to try it once in double EXP weekend, and while I enjoyed it, I only got in a couple matches so I couldn't find out if this would carry me for a long period of time, thus making the maps a worthwhile purchase.

Also, I have played FPS's for a long time on the PC, and hence I have some resistance to the concept of paying for maps. You should see my time played on COD4. I played the fuck outa that but never even considered buying the maps.

Quick question, other than filing a complaint via XBL and the aviod/prefer player options are there more official measures you can take in order to report racist behaviour ? I'll put up with a lot but being called a "F*cking N*gger" is one giant leap across the line, so much so that this particular individual can't even see the line. I'd like MS to perhaps get off their ass and start sorting this kind of crap out, I know they can't police the entire system constantly but if there is an official reporting thingie then I'd be obligied if someone could point it out to me, cheers.

TheBlackLodge said:
Quick question, other than filing a complaint via XBL and the aviod/prefer player options are there more official measures you can take in order to report racist behaviour ? I'll put up with a lot but being called a "F*cking N*gger" is one giant leap across the line, so much so that this particular individual can't even see the line. I'd like MS to perhaps get off their ass and start sorting this kind of crap out, I know they can't police the entire system constantly but if there is an official reporting thingie then I'd be obligied if someone could point it out to me, cheers.
From what I know, filing a complaint is the official reporting thingy.

A quick search finds this article about where complaints go, but its rather ambiguous. It just says "every complaint is seen and dealt with," so I guess its your best option.

Just realize that there will always be assholes on Xbox Live, but Halo 3 has the beautiful voice setting option of Team and Party Chat only. It makes the multiplayer so much more enjoyable.

TheBlackLodge said:
The amusing (well if you can call it that) thing was that he was on my team......Thanks for the linkage though :)

It is also very easy to mute a player in game if needed. Hold down back button, use the right analog stick to highlight the person's name and then press X. Viola!

Shishka

Works for Bungie
TheBlackLodge said:
The amusing (well if you can call it that) thing was that he was on my team......Thanks for the linkage though :)

You're also able to mute people individually by bringing up the scoreboard, selecting their name, and hitting X.

FourDoor

Unfortunately when it comes down to trash talking and racist comments made during the game, the file a complaint system doesn't quite have the same affect as if the same player actually wrote some of those comments in their profile/bio. Your best bet is to hope that same the ignorant player also has an "offensive" gamertag, bio, etc that you can report via the Complaint system as there is physical proof there that MS can see of the offense.

Think about it this way. The racist comments during the game are not recorded. It's a he said she said situation. MS has no way of proving that your complaint against said offender is true. Flip it around and say you just owned an entire team of douche bags. They file a complaint against you for trash talking because they are sore losers saying that you were saying racist comments. The complaint system won't do anything since MS has no proof. The racist comments have to then be funneled through the rep system where at some point (a magical thresh hold) is met when enough negative feedback is sent to the player that action is taken.

Remember, offending content on profiles that have a complaint filed to them are typically reviewed within 24hours which result in instant bans as opposed to the rep system which needs a certain number of negative feedback before action is taken.

FourDoor said:
Unfortunately when it comes down to trash talking and racist comments made during the game, the file a complaint system doesn't quite have the same affect as if the same player actually wrote some of those comments in their profile/bio. Your best bet is to hope that same the ignorant player also has an "offensive" gamertag, bio, etc that you can report via the Complaint system as there is physical proof there that MS can see of the offense.

Think about it this way. The racist comments during the game are not recorded. It's a he said she said situation. MS has no way of proving that your complaint against said offender is true. Flip it around and say you just owned an entire team of douche bags. They file a complaint against you for trash talking because they are sore losers saying that you were saying racist comments. The complaint system won't do anything since MS has no proof. The racist comments have to then be funneled through the rep system where at some point (a magical thresh hold) is met when enough negative feedback is sent to the player that action is taken.

Remember, offending content on profiles that have a complaint filed to them are typically reviewed within 24hours which result in instant bans as opposed to the rep system which needs a certain number of negative feedback before action is taken.

IAWTP. If someone is overly offensive, I will check their profile/bio for things that M$ will reprimand.

Shishka said:
You're also able to mute people individually by bringing up the scoreboard, selecting their name, and hitting X.

:D Is there an echo in here?

Chinner

Banned
A very large and loyal userbase. All the other games in the top 5 have just been released in the last month so the have a newness aspect to them. So you'll get a rush of players for the first week but once they're bored or a new game comes out they'll swap over leaving the fanbase.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
EazyB said:
Can't think of anything that could bump it off for quite a while now.

Nothing can and amen to that. Good game up top; faith in LIVE's humanity +10.

Although COD: World at War beat Gears 2 pretty easily for the #2 spot. :lol

Dirtbag

EazyB said:
Can't think of anything that could bump it off for quite a while now.

I think Left 4 Dead is the first shooter I think is worthy of bumping halo since COD4 and wouldnt have minded seeing it give Halo a run for its money. Gears 2 just doesn't have the polish.

Kibbles

So how many people got Recon for playing last week? I would've played, I bought the map pack when it came out, but of course, I don't have a working Halo (or Xbox for that matter, I get 2 red lights here and there now), and yes my 360 is well ventilated *shrug* Missed opportunity. I haven't experienced the 2 red lights at all today, but if my Xbox fails eventually, I may just get an arcade around Christmas. I'd rather pay $199 for a new reliable 360 with the new chips and stuff than get mine refurbished for $180 :lol I'll just plug my HDD in the arcade, and boom. I'd be nice because my DVD drive also doesn't work for shit on my current xbox.

fin said:
New 360 owners? Or people sick of Gears and COD?

alot of teams are practicing for mlg opener in meadowlands since its the offseason now. that couldve contributed a little. i know alot of people who quit and are coming back for the 09 season

vhfive

sixthsubset said:
alot of teams are practicing for mlg opener in meadowlands since its the offseason now. that couldve contributed a little. i know alot of people who quit and are coming back for the 09 season
?

vhfive said:

he was wondering how halo 3 placed number 1 this week for xbl activity. i said that something that couldve contributed to it is an increase in the number of mlg players practicing for the 09 season.

fin

Dirtbag said:
I think Left 4 Dead is the first shooter I think is worthy of bumping halo since COD4 and wouldnt have minded seeing it give Halo a run for its money. Gears 2 just doesn't have the polish.

Combining 360 & Steam users would probably take Halo 3s spot. Whenever I'm on Steam there are like 100 people playing it on in the NeoGAF group alone. Not sure what the number of uniques is on Steam, it must tons though.

TDG

Banned
I wanted to mention that I'm not going to buy the map pack when it comes out either, as I've been saying for awhile. My reasons are a bit different than PL's and Johnkers', I don't play the niche playlists very often, (I don't even play Halo 3 MM very often these days,) so it won't really be worth it to me to buy the maps since I won't see them. I feel like I made a mistake buying the first two map packs, though Bungie did a good job of trying to get people to buy them and creating space for people with the maps to play them, so I'm going to wait on these at least until they're required for LW, TS, and Doubles. Plus, I'm buying Recon (which I expect to have an inflated price with the map packs being justification,) so I wouldn't buy a map pack twice, especially when I'm not going to use them after my first purchase.
EazyB said:
MLG is solely responsible for Halo's success. Want proof, check out the MLG playlist population.
:lol

In before the MLG-worshipping fish take the bait (with hostility.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom