• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GhaleonEB said:
IMG_1322.jpg

And system number two goes down. Hopefully I get another new one, with HDMI this time.
I said Woh-oh out-loud. Sorry to see that, Ghal. My Halo 3 360 is still going strong! *knocks on wood*

GhaleonEB said:

And system number two goes down. Hopefully I get another new one, with HDMI this time.
Yeah, you should. I've been through four units myself, the most recent had HDMI and was the newest version -- haven't had any overheating since. Speaking of HDMI, I finally got a cable because I moved the Xbox to the master bedroom's HDTV. A really decent upgrade from the blander colors of VGA my desktop monitor was offering. I think you'll dig it.

And before...

GhaleonEB said:
I'm sure there will be plenty of new content. We know at least one new weapon (silenced SMG). Bungie will push their engine pretty hard.
  • M6D Sex Pistol.
  • Sangheili Enemies.
  • This.
  • Moar Violence!

Nutter

Domino Theory said:
Wow, Ghaleon, Bladed and I go down in the span of 24hrs.

Conspiracy against HaloGAF confirmed.
You know what would make this a bit more bearable? If MS actually did a redesign of the console, then it wouldnt be such a bad idea to just buy another 360, but having to rebuy the same shit everytime is just a pain in the ass. The Next Xbox needs to have a better design and longetivity compared to the 360.

EazyB

Banned
-ARNiE- said:
Shiska, if I choose DLC Big Team, I want to play my Legendary maps, not Team Splockets on Rats Nest (Vomits).

Just Sayin

However with the consolidation of this playlist into something less weighted towards the Legendary Maps i can only see this problem worsening. Damn whats the point of buying the new maps on release, why isn't there a straight up Legendary playlist like there was for Heroic?
DLC BTB has been nothing but Avalanche. I've played so many matches of Multi-flag Avalanche that I wanna drive a rusty needle down my urethra. The playlist has been up for 3 months now and I for one am dying to have my Valhalla and Sandtrap back. If you aren't sick of Avalanche and feel you haven't gotten to play it enough, then you simply haven't played DLC BTB enough.

Here's a continuous snippet of my DLC BTB game history:
LegendaryAmCry.jpg

I wouldn't mind if I never saw Avalanche again.

And before then it was very prevalent in DLC Objective and even though it was limited to 6v6, it held up just fine. I won't waste my time posting my entire game history from that playlist but this should give you a taste of how many times I've played these Legendary maps over the 6 months the playlist was up:

Rubbingitin.jpg

You've had your chance to play the Legendary maps in DLC hoppers and until they are made free and required across all playlists I don't want to see anymore playlists solely dedicated to force-feeding them down my through. The new BTB will be a thing of glory, variety, and awesomeness.

GhaleonEB

KevinRo said:
What? Am I reading this right? This is Halo Wars you are talking about right?
It's from a podcast last year. But then, since ODST wasn't concieved and ramped up until this spring, Ryan was probably talking about something else.

KevinRo said:
Don't tease me.

If he really said that then I am officially interested in the expansion, but I'm sure he was talking about Halo Wars.
Why would he be talking about Halo Wars? Bungie isn't making that game.

GhaleonEB

KevinRo said:
Don't tease me.

If he really said that then I am officially interested in the expansion, but I'm sure he was talking about Halo Wars.
I don't think Bungie would be teasing content in other developer's games. But that was over a year ago, and if anything we know that development can change plans. Heck, he may have been talking about Chronicles, which Bungie was working on at the time but has since been handed off to MS. I was more just riffing off Voc's post. Don't get too excited.

Eazy: my DLC history is similar, with respect to Avalanche. I love the map, but I miss more games on Valhalla. I definitely go my money worth, so I'm fine with it being balanced out in BTB.

Sad times for the halo thread with downed 360s. I am still waiting on my old unit to get back so I can sell it. Hopefully those of you not buying a new jesper unit will get one from MS instead of an old referb.

KevinRo

I swear I read somewhere that it will be returning in Halo Wars. Either that or I mis-heard the info.

*edit*
just read the armaments description on the halo wars website. :'( poo

KevinRo said:
Don't tease me.

No tease. It could be nothing at all, but...
  • Jarrard and others have said there's more surprises they're saving for down the road.
  • During the lost podcast, Staten said he had a list of things he couldn't talk about.
  • H3O is being developed, in part, by a handful of people who worked on Halo: Combat Evolved and it has been decidedly labeled by Staten as a labor of love that some people in the office have been wanting to do for a very long time.
  • Smith, rather than just flatly saying no M6D for H3O, he had a pretty cagey answer here. Jarrard's follow-up to the question is cagey and a bit diversionary as well.
  • The main gripe previously from Bungie about the pistol was its abuse in multiplayer. H3O is not multiplayer, but campaign only.
  • Of course, there's the Ryan quote which everyone was questioning before, but with the announcement of H3O, it brought some shockingly clear possibilities to the table.
Now for some wild speculation:

For months after the "Starry Night" trailer, which first debuted the now referenced M6G, I thought for certain that the weapon used by the Chief in the trailer was the M6D. It obviously looked identical and even had the pronounced electronic sight, anyone who is familiar with the first Halo game has come to cherish. And even during the launch of Halo3.com, the weapon description which initially hit MS' servers was akin to the M6D and not our present M6G variant. This happened for about 6-8 hours and who knows how many phone calls between Bungie and MS -- most of us on GAF watched it all play out here back in early '07.

md6-h3.jpg

Knowing how beloved the pistol is, why pray tell would there be a snafu like that? Why would MS have the wrong description of the weapon? Why would both Frank and KP at the time of the "Starry Night" trailer state repeatedly that certain elements of it would be "familiar" and "intentional", seemingly referencing the pistol itself which the Chief pulls out for no reason other than to show it off (awesome btw).

If they had no intention of delivering the real M6D in the first place, all of this rings pretty cruel. My guess, however, is that the initial plan WAS to have the M6D in Halo 3, like so many other things which returned from the first game. I think there were some heavy internal arguments with well-founded opinions thrown around and I think that ultimately the M6G, in its current inception, is what we got. I dig the M6G, don't get me wrong, but I and legions of other people who really connected with that element in the first game wanted the M6D in Halo 3.

H3O is an interesting opportunity to include it and there's some circumstantial evidence. Now don't grab a pitchfork if I'm wrong -- it could be in there now and get changed or I could simply be wrong (which is likely). Obviously a huge caveat should be lowered stating that I personally have no idea at all, nor any insider information.

GhaleonEB said:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/IMG_1322.jpg[IMG]

And system number two goes down. Hopefully I get another new one, with HDMI this time.[/QUOTE]

Thats 3 of us over a period of about 24 hours...:(

Its an epidemic

GhaleonEB

Mr Vociferous said:
No tease. It could be nothing at all, but...
  • Jarrard and others have said there's more surprises they're saving for down the road.
  • During the lost podcast, Staten said he had a list of things he couldn't talk about.
  • H3O is being developed, in part, by a handful of people who worked on Halo: Combat Evolved and it has been decidedly labeled by Staten as a labor of love that some people in the office have been wanting to do for a very long time.
  • Smith, rather than just flatly saying no M6D for H3O, he had a pretty cagey answer here. Jarrard's follow-up to the question is cagey and a bit diversionary as well.
  • The main gripe previously from Bungie about the pistol was its abuse in multiplayer. H3O is not multiplayer, but campaign only.
  • Of course, there's the Ryan quote which everyone was questioning before, but with the announcement of H3O, it brought some shockingly clear possibilities to the table.
Now for some wild speculation:
I think the website snafu was a genuine mistake. We saw in the leaked Alpha footage that Bungie was tinkering with a pistol somewhere between the Halo 2 and eventual Halo 3 version. I do think you're on track with the other stuff though - not having a MP component to ODST does free them up. And since we're not playing a Spartan in ODST, the gameplay is going to be very different. They've touched on and hinted at some ways to balance out a weaker player character, but giving him a hand cannon like the M6D sure would be one way to do it. And it would fit in nicely with the fan service nature of the game.

GhaleonEB said:
I think the website snafu was a genuine mistake. We saw in the leaked Alpha footage that Bungie was tinkering with a pistol somewhere between the Halo 2 and eventual Halo 3 version. I do think you're on track with the other stuff though - not having a MP component to ODST does free them up. And since we're not playing a Spartan in ODST, the gameplay is going to be very different. They've touched on and hinted at some ways to balance out a weaker player character, but giving him a hand cannon like the M6D sure would be one way to do it. And it would fit in nicely with the fan service nature of the game.
Yeah, I think the thing that sticks with me about the M6D name and description being part of Halo3.com the most is that MS really doesn't generate that content. The content (written word) has to have been fashioned by Bungie internally and passed to MS for its addition to the site itself. I definitely agree it was a genuine mistake to put it up, but why would MS have any info on the M6D to begin with, right? They're not making the weapon, they're only providing the information they received in this particular instance. I'd guess that they received the information a ways before the site went live and Bungie made the modification during that time, contacted MS and for some reason, likely an accident, MS's design team used the old and now incorrect information.

I know a lot of people wondered why the M6G has an electronic scope on its barrel when in fact it is never used in the game. I'd guess it's because it wasn't the M6G when they first designed it for H3. But who knows. It's probably a wild goose chase and between the Mythic Maps and what we already know about H3O, I'll gladly fork over the necessaries this coming fall.

KevinRo said:
I swear I read somewhere that it will be returning in Halo Wars. Either that or I mis-heard the info.

*edit*
just read the armaments description on the halo wars website. :'( poo
There is a timeline of the history of the Human race from 2160 to 2552 with fantastic art alongside it.

Arnie

EazyB said:
I can see your wish to never play Avalanche again going from your match history, however currently the two DLC playlists are my only hope of consistently finding Avalanche, a map I have rarely played. I have no problem finding games of Blackout and Ghost Town as they are pretty common in TS and TSwat as I usually play with a group of people all of whom have purchased the Legendary map pack. My problem is that lately I have been entering DLC Big Team in search of playing Avalanche, only to be greeted by some variation of Standoff, Rats Nest or Sandtrap, maps that I have played for some time since launch on the previous Big Team social playlist and more recently Squad Battle. I agree that Avalanche is common in the playlist, in my case usually after the first Veto. I don't see how Bungie can't include a playlist which contains only variants of the Legendary maps, as I don't want to play the older maps when i enter this playlist no matter how rare they appear.

Perhaps i'm not really excited for Valhalla as it is probably my most played map in Team BR's on Ranked Slayer, along with Construct. It seems that you will be very happy come mid January judging by your previous post anyway. I just hope that with the Mythic Map Pack, Bungie support it more for players who can't create custom matches on a regular basis and who rely on Bungie to make our matches.

GhaleonEB

Mr Vociferous said:
Yeah, I think the thing that sticks with me about the M6D name and description being part of Halo3.com the most is that MS really doesn't generate that content. The content (written word) has to have been fashioned by Bungie internally and passed to MS for its addition to the site itself. I definitely agree it was a genuine mistake to put it up, but why would MS have any info on the M6D to begin with, right? They're not making the weapon, they're only providing the information they received in this particular instance. I'd guess that they received the information a ways before the site went live and Bungie made the modification during that time, contacted MS and for some reason, likely an accident, MS's design team used the old and now incorrect information.

I know a lot of people wondered why the M6G has an electronic scope on its barrel when in fact it is never used in the game. I'd guess it's because it wasn't the M6G when they first designed it for H3. But who knows. It's probably a wild goose chase and between the Mythic Maps and what we already know about H3O, I'll gladly fork over the necessaries this coming fall.
Good points all around. The scope is a dead give away, though they could have been tinkering with a scoped version that wasn't the elephant killer that the M6D was. And we know Halo's Story Bible and it's components cover much more than what is released, so they may have just sent the wrong weapon file over. But we're getting into a lot of woulda coulda's. Something is up.

I miss Halo 3 already, and my system has been dead for three hours. :\

KevinRo

All this talk about the pistol, how the hell can bungie rationalize using a downgraded model of the pistol in the sequals?

Just someone explain to me how this fits into the storyline. If I was going into battle I would pick the M6D pistol not M6- ...

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
KevinRo said:
All this talk about the pistol, how the hell can bungie rationalize using a downgraded model of the pistol in the sequals?

Just someone explain to me how this fits into the storyline. If I was going into battle I would pick the M6D pistol not M6- ...
Well, the alternative is placing a weapon in their video game that they don't want there just because it doesn't fit into the storyline.

vhfive

Tashi0106 said:
yo fuck the Halo 1 pistol. I'm tired of that shit.

kinda agree with you i mean wasn't that why the br was created

personally i like the halo 2 pistol
the one in 3 shoots to slow

KevinRo

Cocopjojo said:
Well, the alternative is placing a weapon in their video game that they don't want there just because it doesn't fit into the storyline.

No, the alternative is keeping the same name.

Who needs a pistol when you have rockets?

yeeeaaahhh

The rockets double exp playlist is a lot more fun then I anticipated. It seriously kicks ass.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Everybody should check out Inside Xbox. There's an OXM Report where OXM visits Weta as they show off the real-life Warthog they made. Pretty cool. :)

scoobs

Halo:CE pistol is the reason the multiplayer hooked so many people. In fact my roommates are having a Halo LAN back in my hometown tonight :) Sucks I'm not gonna make it cuz I was a beast with pistol/sniper

Kibbles

Mr Vociferous said:
Yeah, you should. I've been through four units myself, the most recent had HDMI and was the newest version -- haven't had any overheating since. Speaking of HDMI, I finally got a cable because I moved the Xbox to the master bedroom's HDTV. A really decent upgrade from the blander colors of VGA my desktop monitor was offering. I think you'll dig it.

And before...

• M6D Sex Pistol.
    [*]Sangheili Enemies.
  • This.
  • Moar Violence!
I so want this, but in the concept art flashback they show Brutes still =\ I thought that was one of the reasons they said the E3 demo was cut from the game, because Brutes weren't on Earth at the time. The Flashback is from earlier in the day, is it not? Did all the elites just suddenly get a text message saying they were on the humans side? :lol

TDG

Banned
Dax01 said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not.
As long as we're using better to mean, "the more useful weapon; the more powerful weapon; the weapon with the fastest firing rate," then it is an indisputable fact that the Halo 2 pistol is better than the Halo 3 pistol. Now, if it is somehow your (wrongful) opinion that the opposite is true, then you're entitled to your opinion. But keep this in mind:
Opinions are like assholes. We all have them, and they all stink.

Azar

Dax01 said:
The pistol in Halo 2 sucked. The M6G is far better.
You must not have played Halo 2 pre-patch, then. The magnum raped. It was still pretty decent afterward if you were accurate enough with it.

Azar said:
You must not have played Halo 2 pre-patch, then. The magnum raped. It was still pretty decent afterward if you were accurate enough with it.

Pre patch dual magnums were basically like having rockets.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Azar said:

SMG and pre-patch magnum, sooo beastly. The patch really killed dual wielding if you think about it. Weakened magnum and the increased beat down strength gave way to the BXR.

Chernobyled said:
Yeah, uh dude, you're wrong.
south_park_wow.jpg

Yeah, uh dude, you're wrong.
See, I can do it too. We can keep on going back and forth like this if you like.
TDG said:
As long as we're using better to mean, "the more useful weapon; the more powerful weapon; the weapon with the fastest firing rate," then it is an indisputable fact that the Halo 2 pistol is better than the Halo 3 pistol. Now, if it is somehow your (wrongful) opinion that the opposite is true, then you're entitled to your opinion. But keep this in mind:
Opinions are like assholes. We all have them, and they all stink.
More powerful? Have you played Halo 2 recently? And one weapon being more useful over the other is debatable.

Azar said:

It was patched and made weaker. I never played Halo 2 pre-patch, but in it's current state, it isn't as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom