• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Pistol.jpg

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
When does the January MM Update arrive? Tomorrow? Next Tuesday?

Please be asap. In desperate need of DLC Slayer's hot sister, Team DLC. :D

Oh and while we're on that subject, will Cold Storage be in Team DLC, Shishka?
BWU said:
The January update has been pushed from the normal beginning-of-the-month cycle to being more of a middle-of-the-month update due to limited resources (specifically, time to test some of the changes we’ve cooked up).
Mid-moth would be 13-19 ish?

And 5v5 on Cold Storage would be the worst thing since 6v6 Squad Battle on Construct.

EazyB

Banned
Self Induced said:
Both of those sound genuinely awesome.
There should be a playlist dedicated to putting too many players on too small of maps. I mean the spawning system is near perfect as it is with a normal amount of people; it's about time we give it something of a challenge. 6v6 on Guardian, 8v8 on Blackout, and 10v10 on Narrows. Call it Team Clusterfuck of Fun.

EazyB said:
There should be a playlist dedicated to putting too many players on too small of maps. I mean the spawning system is near perfect as it is with a normal amount of people; it's about time we give it something of a challenge. 6v6 on Guardian, 8v8 on Blackout, and 10v10 on Narrows. Call it Team Clusterfuck of Fun.
You know what a man wants, Eazy.

Shishka

Works for Bungie
EazyB said:

Team Clusterfun?

Yeah, pretty sure I couldn't get away with that.

fin

So I "can't retrieve information for Halo 3 servers"
Anyone know how to fix this? It worked last week...

So who's down for some Halo 2? GT = Finjitzu

xxjuicesxx said:
16 player FFA Ball Epitaph playlist.

Foundry would be better. Actually 16 player FFA Rocket Ball on Foundry would be the best ever. I love when people camp in the back room with the ball in a bubble shield and you can't even make it halfway to the ball before getting rocketed. Man, I love Foundry.

EazyB said:
Mid-moth would be 13-19 ish?

And 5v5 on Cold Storage would be the worst thing since 6v6 Squad Battle on Construct.

I know I am in the serious minority around here but I really like the way 4v4 construct plays with radar. I personally think with radar 6v6 construct can be camped way to easily. For me 4v4 Construct with radar is up there with the pit for my favorite slayer maps that Halo 3 shipped with, 6v6 Construct with radar = an absolute mess, 6v6 Construct without radar = back to fun.

backflip10019 said:
Foundry would be better. Actually 16 player FFA Rocket Ball on Foundry would be the best ever. I love when people camp in the back room with the ball in a bubble shield and you can't even make it halfway to the ball before getting rocketed. Man, I love Foundry.

me drools.

vhfive

Dax01 said:
I never said anything about long range, and the pistol is useful at medium range, you just haven't used it enough.

What is with you and over-exaggerating things?

Jesus you're cranky.

:lol Because it isn't. It takes a full clip + an extra bullet to kill with Halo 2's pistol, couple that with the time it takes to reload, and you're looking at the worst pistol of the two. Firing twelve bullets, reloading, then firing an extra bullet takes about four seconds. It takes HALF that time for the M6G to kill you. And this is only headshots.

Incorrect: both take about the same amount of time to fire that many bullets.

your argument only works if you are not dual wielding and if your not dual wielding the halo 2 pistol you're doing it wrong.
the reason why its good is because of how fast it shoots and its ability to headshot. take down the shields of your opponent with your other weapon (either plasma) then a quick shot to the head. this is what made halo 2 pistol better then the one in halo 3

sorry for bringing this back up

Insaniac

I remember before they nerfed the halo 2 pistol, I had dubbed dual pistols "hero sticks" and was having a glorious time owning up with it.

vhfive said:
your argument only works if you are not dual wielding and if your not dual wielding the halo 2 pistol you're doing it wrong.
Doesn't matter. The Halo 2 pistol by itself, the M6G is better. You don't need to duel-wield the M6G to kill someone effectively, unlike the Halo 2 pistol.
the reason why its good is because of how fast it shoots and its ability to headshot. take down the shields of your opponent with your other weapon (either plasma) then a quick shot to the head. this is what made halo 2 pistol better then the one in halo 3
Then you duel-wield the M6G.

Shishka

Works for Bungie
fin said:
So I "can't retrieve information for Halo 3 servers"
Anyone know how to fix this? It worked last week...

Sounds like you're not the only one that has run into this problem. Mind giving me a few stats? Stuff like:

1. What model 360 do you use?
2. How much hard drive space is remaining on the drive?
3. Do you play Halo 3 from the disk or do you have it installed to your hard drive?
4. Do you have your 360 set to boot to the dashboard, or does it boot directly to the game in the drive?
5. What kind of connection do you have to the internet?
6. Who is your service provider?
7. Have you tried bypassing your router and connecting the 360 directly to your modem?

You can PM me if you'd rather not share this info with the public. If anyone else is experiencing issues, please let me know as well. I will point out that some users that are having difficulty connecting when their box boots directly to the game are having luck by starting from the dashboard and then manually starting the game. If that scenario might apply to you, try it out.

vhfive

Dax01 said:
Doesn't matter. The Halo 2 pistol by itself, the M6G is better. You don't need to duel-wield the M6G to kill someone effectively, unlike the Halo 2 pistol.

Then you duel-wield the M6G.

uh...
not really true
i mean it loses to the ar almost every time. it really is only good for kill stealing and mopping up.

personally i think both halo 2 and 3 pistols are pretty much worthless unless dual wielding (with some type of plasma weapon) but this argument isn't going anywhere so i'll leave it at that.

Jonsoncao

Banned
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=news&cid=16770
When we envisioned the "Average Joe" series for Bungie.net, it's people like GhaleonEB that were foremost in our mind. This one-time HBO newsman, and peer-appointed, Halo-related thread curator over at NeoGaf ("You're not Ghaleon!"), has made his mark on the community not only with his love of the game, but also for his clear-thinking, honest assessments of gaming at large. Chances are, if you've run into him, he's made a lasting impression on you too. He's good people. And though he's kept himself busy by donning a brilliant array of hats within the Bungie community, and though he typically chooses to keep to himself, we caught up to him and convinced him to donate a few moments of his time. Read on to learn more about him in his own words.

Q. Who are you and what do you do?

A. I go by Ben when I’m not on the internets, and I’m a financial analyst at a tech company. Which is to say, I stare at spreadsheets all day and contemplate how $500k could possibly be considered so little that it gets rounded off. I don’t round pennies off of my income.

Q. And the gamertag?

When I registered for my first online forum back in the day, before most of the b.net users were born, I picked Ghaleon from the old Lunar games on the Sega-CD. That was taken though, so I tacked “EB” on the end for Eternal Blue, the name of the second Lunar game and still a favorite of mine. I just kept it as I moved around the web, and people have been confused about what it meant ever since. The best theory as to the meaning was that the last three letters are my real name spelled backwards, and I just have weird thing for internal capitalization.

Q. Where does your movement around the web take you?

A. I used to post at IGN and a few other community sites, but that was gradually whittled down to just The NeoGAF, though I’ll roll into the HBO and – with trepidation – the bungie.net forums on occasion. NeoGAF has a pretty large number of industry folks swimming with the proverbial forum sharks, so so it’s not uncommon to run into someone working on the game you’re trolling there. Word is Bungie is now using posts there to hire their web team (Editor's Note: LOL - LS), so every post is an application of sorts.

The epic Halo thread I spawned over there has become its own sub-forum and community, with its own resident eccentrics and theatrics. I briefly considered starting up my own blog, but then realized I don’t have anything interesting to say. And here I am, saying it. Hi guys.

Q. Oh. Hello. Are there specific areas of the community that you find more interesting than others?

A. My love of Halo is tied pretty closely to the games themselves, so I’ve never paid much attention to fanfic and the like. Most fanfic is rather horrifying, and what little I’ve read left me scarred. It’s all about the game, so I look for videos of impressive or just plain wacky play. In particular, the top 10 compilations that MLG puts out usually leave my jaw on the desk.

Q. What compels you to game? Do you game with friends and family? Co-workers?

A. I’m old enough that gaming is part of my DNA at this point; I’ve been gaming for a good 25 years or more. The reasons have shifted over the years, but it comes down to a love of interactive rather than passive entertainment. I’m attracted to mediums that are malleable in some way, which means I haven’t regularly watched TV for a good 15 years now. This has the side effect of making me hopelessly out of touch with today’s popular culture outside of gaming, but let’s keep that between us.

I live in a little podunk town outside of Portland, so I don’t have many social gaming opportunities, which is where Live comes in. I have managed to get my wife hooked on some XBLA games, and my older daughter is becoming quite the little gamer. In her first ever online Halo 3 game – just messing around with some fellow GAFers – she went straight for the shotgun to “shoot someone in the face”. She does her father proud.

Q. What was the first Bungie title you played? How did you discover it? What was is specifically that sucked you in?

A. Okay, one at a time.

[Editor's Note: sorry, caffeine. -U]

The first Bungie game I saw was Marathon on the Mac, but it was on my brother’s computer, which I was forbidden to touch under pain of death. I’m still alive, which means I didn’t touch it.

The first Bungie game I actually played was Halo on the Xbox, which I bought as part of a bundle deal. I got the system for Panzer Dragoon Orta, and Halo was a freebie, one I had heard of but otherwise had no interest in. Until I played it, that is. I haven’t stopped playing the Halo games since.

I did try to play Marathon 2 on XBLA, but alas. Vomiting. [Editor's Note: The dudes at Freeverse did issue a patch that softened some of the nausea inducing elements for in this game - LS]

What initially pulled me into Halo was the art and story; it’s a pretty compelling universe, with interesting nooks and crannies throughout. What keeps me coming back is simple: is it’s a fun sandbox to play in. I can play campaign encounters over and over, trying different tactics and am still impressed with how the AI and encounter design flexes based on my approach. Usually resulting in my death regardless, but the variety is in the number of ways I can attempt to avoid it.

My multiplayer time is spent almost exclusively in the BTB hoppers, partly hoping I can find a decent team to carry me, and partly because I get a kick out of vehicular shenanigans. It’s not really Halo without a Warthog careening about. I see a lot of broad humor in Halo’s MP. My kids have been getting into Looney Tunes lately, where anvils, rockets and boulders are employed and often backfire in spectacular fashion. I find BTB to be equally hilarious, but with lasers, warthogs and trip mines. In most games there’s at least one catastrophic pile-up that just begs for a saved film. Halo 3 has set the bar for social feature sets (in console games, at least); I’m honestly surprised screenshots and saved films are not becoming a standard feature in action games.

Q. Are you surprised by your level of community involvement?

A. I’m surprised that I actually have any community involvement, really. I’m generally pretty self-aware, but I didn’t realize I had become known for being such a Halo fanboy on The NeoGAF until shortly before Halo 3 launched and I inadvertently attracted some attention. It’s been an interesting experience. The craftsmanship that goes into Halo and Bungie’s community emphasis has created a diverse and lasting community; it’s fun to be a part of it.

Thanks to Ben for the time. We agree, it is a fun to be a part of this community. You can have a bite of my French Toast anytime.

you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!check this out!!!!!!!

Smokey

While you guys are arguing about shitty weapons, I'd love to hear an argument on how the CARBINE is a worthwhile weapon in Halo 3 MP.

thnx

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Smokey said:
While you guys are arguing about shitty weapons, I'd love to hear an argument on how the CARBINE is a worthwhile weapon in Halo 3 MP.

thnx

I've found it handy to pummel an enemy from afrar with multiple hits to distract the shit out of them. Works perfectly, and I have a nice amount of kills to compliment it's use. I will always pick this up if I can lay hands on my BR, in High Ground non-BR starts, it's always proven it's worth.

=)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Smokey said:

thnx

It absolutely is. It's definitely a harder weapon to master but it has the fire power to go against the BR. The thing is though is that it's more difficult to use than the BR. At least for me it is. I don't know why but it's pretty difficult for me to get the first 8-9 shots (???) to kill someone. It's still a great gun and very under used in BR start matches.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I got around to playing ~50 matches online, it was pretty good fun. I do well, but against rank 24 and up I get my butt whooped. It's annoying to have been playing TF2 where it's all balanced, then hop on a "find weapon and whore it" console shooter, but I still had a lot of fun.

Then ran through Campaign on Heroic with a buddy straight until 4am :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hazaro said:
So I got around to playing ~50 matches online, it was pretty good fun. I do well, but against rank 24 and up I get my butt whooped. It's annoying to have been playing TF2 where it's all balanced, then hop on a "find weapon and whore it" console shooter, but I still had a lot of fun.

Then ran through Campaign on Heroic with a buddy straight until 4am :lol

you sure we're talking about Halo 3 here?

Smokey

Tashi0106 said:
It absolutely is. It's definitely a harder weapon to master but it has the fire power to go against the BR. The thing is though is that it's more difficult to use than the BR. At least for me it is. I don't know why but it's pretty difficult for me to get the first 8-9 shots (???) to kill someone. It's still a great gun and very under used in BR start matches.

Maybe I suck ass. But if it's a head to head between the BR and Carbine 9.5/10 times the Carbine will lose. I used to love using the Carbine in H2, but H3 :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tashi0106 said:
you sure we're talking about Halo 3 here?
Yeah pretty damn sure since I've played it the past 3 days.
It's mainly the higher up levels that just grab the good guns and hide in a corner, really pisses me off.

That's probably one of the better reasons I love TF2.

I haven't played any other online console shooter since Resistance Online so :lol

Either way could you elaborate on what you meant?

Kibbles

Awesome read, but hopefully this doesn't attract too many people here, I like the relatively small group of people that post here. :lol

Kibbles said:
Awesome read, but hopefully this doesn't attract too many people here, I like the relatively small group of people that post here. :lol

Oh hey guise, I hear GaleonEB posts here!
I signed up to post too, and am bringing all my friends from the 6th grade!
Wort!!

Kibbles said:

In theory we had some time between getting profiled on Bungie.net and things getting watered down here due to the account approval process.

EazyB

Banned
Hazaro said:
Yeah pretty damn sure since I've played it the past 3 days.
It's mainly the higher up levels that just grab the good guns and hide in a corner, really pisses me off.

That's probably one of the better reasons I love TF2.

I haven't played any other online console shooter since Resistance Online so :lol

Either way could you elaborate on what you meant?
In my experience it goes like this. Levels 1-10 are just getting used to the game, learning the strengths of the power weapons.

From 10-30 these players are convinced the key to success are these weapons: The sword, hammer, and shotgun are one hit kills that require little aiming. The rocket makes for a nice short to medium range weapon as well. These weapons are also great at this level because people in this range generally go for the close range AR spray to beat down tossing their grenades haphazardly until they can get close. This makes the melee-range weapons killing machines and when you couple that with their predictable movement path the rockets become a guaranteed kill.

With experience players start to gravitate towards medium-long range combat. Think of it as the strategy revolution; the outcome being a unhealthy lust for the BR. Learn to cherish this weapon. Learn to 4
-ish
-shot; track their noggins with the reticule like you life depends on it (because oftentimes it will).

As you develop this ranged strength learn how to minimize the old close range traps. Learn to love to wide open, avoid the corners campers may hide in, if you can't avoid them, learn to approach unkown corners as I do. If I suspect there may be someone hiding in the corner, bounce a nade off a wall or floor and into the corner, if someone's crouching there they may get scared and move or the nade will force them too; revealing them on your radar. At this point you can either choose to avoid them or if you think you took their shields down turn the corner quickly and BR in the face. If fall into an unfavorable position try running and lying nades in your path. They work as a defensive toll as much as they do an offensive tool. Either their pursue you and drop their health so you can headshot them or they'll back off and you can regain your shields.

You'll find great success if you do these things and you'll find Halo to be one of (if not the most) balanced shooter out there. I've played the shit out of this game and as you can see by my stats, power weapons play a very little role. If you're lucky enough to get a gametype that starts with BRs you'll find little need to hunt down any weapons, you'll get stuck with AR starts a lot though which turn into "find a BR before someone kills me with one and before I get to actually play" which is a shame. In those cases it pays off to memorize the spawn points of the BRs.

Hope my advice works out for ya.

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:
:lol Neat

Dropped the "N" bomb quite a bit though
"NeoGAF"
, if even one Bungie.net forumer hops over it's on your hands, Ghaleon.
Well, that's where I roam, digitally speaking. Though I did mention it too often; I edited them down from the first draft but should have only mentioned it once. Whoops.

TDG

Banned
Great job letting everybody know about our secret club here Ghaleon. You'd better clean up your mess or we'll remove you from being Club President and tell everyone your secrets and not let you sit with us at lunch. Cootie-brain.

GhaleonEB

Stormtrooper30 said:
Was that a PAX refference from earlier in the thread or am I retarded?
Yeah, it's a PAX reference. I would note that since I've munched off of Urk's fork, that means I've technically exchanged bodily fluids with him, and slept with Louis Wu. Both platonically, of course. GAFers are a tight knit bunch.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Grats, Ghaleon.

thnx

Unfortunately, it got nerfed from the beta, where it was awesome. Nowadays, though, I'll still take on on High ground any chance I can get...it's just fun to use, and it is an acceptable substitute.

Come to think of it, what other maps is it on besides high ground, guardian, and epitaph?

vhfive

Metroidvania said:
Grats, Ghaleon.

Unfortunately, it got nerfed from the beta, where it was awesome. Nowadays, though, I'll still take on on High ground any chance I can get...it's just fun to use, and it is an acceptable substitute.

Come to think of it, what other maps is it on besides high ground, guardian, and epitaph?
snowbound/boundless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom