• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
backflip10019 said:
And go figure, the next game I play of MLG, I'm matched up with this fucking douchenut named ObamAmerican who doesn't cease to call me a "fucking fag" for a couple of minutes. I shoot him a few times and my entire team quits. It's awesome how great the masses of the Halo 3 community are.

Well look at the name, you should of seen it coming (no, I really hate people who do that, get in a game and start shouting out names or shooting you, then they kill you can you can't boot them. Sucks that your whole team quit on you though.) :(

Grimm Fandango said:
Set search option to quickest connection = problem solved?

As a
dirty
Brit, I can tell you that this only works some of the time. I often get matched against East coast Americans. Its certainly playable (thanks to the good Netcode) but its no LAN, thats for sure.

FourDoor said:
I played for the first time again in almost 2 weeks and we ran into so many international players who had some of the worst host advantage I have ever seen in a while. We played some Australians, Brits, Canadians, and Frenchies but the worst match was a combo of the team having some dudes from Canada and the UK at the same time. The UK dude was apparantly BR'ing our entire team before he even comes around a corner.

It's just no fun getting 2shotted from across the map when you have full shields and facing off against just one guy.
Point 5 (and this is the most important point): what you have described forms the minority of your experiences. For those of us on the other side of the Atlantic, it forms the vast majority.

Having come off months of playing Left 4 Dead on dedicated servers with other Europeans, coming back to Halo 3 and having to accept all over again that every decision is made at least a fifth of a second later than the players I'm playing against is torturous. It makes Grifball unplayable almost all the time, and it gives me a distinct disadvantage in every melee battle (every melee battle).

If you live on the west coast of the USA, you do not get to complain about latency. Ever.

Shake Appeal said:
Point 5 (and this is the most important point): what you have described forms the minority of your experiences. For those of us on the other side of the Atlantic, it forms the vast majority.

Having come off months of playing Left 4 Dead on dedicated servers with other Europeans, coming back to Halo 3 and having to accept all over again that every decision is made at least a fifth of a second later than the players I'm playing against is torturous. It makes Grifball unplayable almost all the time, and it gives me a distinct disadvantage in every melee battle (every melee battle).

If you live on the west coast of the USA, you do not get to complain about latency. Ever.

This, this and if I'm not mistaken, THIS

neoism

backflip10019 said:
It's a shame that the rockets don't actually stay above camo, but rather just fall right into it. Happened 2 or 3 times during my playthrough of the map.
Yeah, I just checked it out, I was disappointed it didn't have the rooms on the bottom on the left side! It's an OK try, but hopeful he'll fix them! Prisoner is still my favorite map in halo EVER!

GhaleonEB

Finished the geometry and weapon placement on Sandstorm.

Normally, I don't put sniper rifles on my maps. I have an aversion to them. Or rather, I don't like getting shot by them. But since I made this for GAF Saturdays, and GAF loves sniper rifles, I put'em in. The map can accommodate them pretty well with the elevation and ample cover.

Just don't shoot me with them, please. They hurt.

FourDoor

Shake Appeal said:

Well if I played during "normal" times like you guys, I definitely do have a decent playing experience. The problem with international players however get exponentially worse as the night goes on. I typically don't log on till 10 or 11PM PST and by around midnight or 1AM, we start seeing the connections from Japan and Australia hit us. Then the Europeans jump in. And if people think lag across the pond to the Europeans are bad on the East Coast, think how much worst it is for us on the West Coast when they get host.

I'm just bitching to bitch because you guys aren't arguing about BR vs AR today.
I know the true reason why I myself run into this issue is because I play late online when the hoppers are relatively smaller than primetime and matchmakings best options for my party is to hook up with international players.

Brainboy

Shake Appeal said:

Grifball is truly horrid every time I try to play it. There is no rhyme or reason to anything that happens in that game mode. By now I've gotten used to all the other stuff, but the Hammer is just ridiculous.

TimeLike

Yeah those hammers and swords are a total sham. I just sit in a corner whenever that gametype comes up. There is ALWAYS one person whose k/d is +15 while everyone else hovers in the -5 to +5 range. It's fucking stupid. You mite as well run up and throw twinkies at each other.

FourDoor

Dax01 said:
I used to like Grifball, but not so much anymore. Gravity hammer vs. gravity hammer is too unpredictable.

Which probably makes it the most popular double exp weekend for when the casual Halo3 player is playing 4player split screen with his friends.

kylej

Banned
I will be taking a brief hiatus from this thread as John Hopkins wants to use my BR to perform a heart surgery. The doctors hands aren't steady enough.

Brainboy

Hahaha, wow. I was just watching Germany's Next Top Model (don't ask), and while one of the girls was being told about her performance, they played the Wake Me When You Need Me song in the background. I guess someone in their production team is a Halo fan! :lol

Trasher

Brainboy said:
Hahaha, wow. I was just watching Germany's Next Top Model (don't ask), and while one of the girls was being told about her performance, they played the Wake Me When You Need Me song in the background. I guess someone in their production team is a Halo fan! :lol
I'm going to.

Why?

:)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
Whats the deal with living dead max 1 when its a ffa social? Kinda weird.

wow then what the fuck is the point of playing it? Are they really that worried about experience boosters? Also...Double Exp just continues to disappoint week in and week out.

Shishka I have a gametype called Instagib, it will be a good dbl exp weekend, you don't really have to rack your brain I'll save you the trouble.

In my fileshare is 3 random games of it, and the gametype.

I'm not gonna go and do any of that Atlas bullshit k.

Trasher and I are arguing about this right now and it needs to be resolved :lol Do you guys feel that lag and host were more of an issue in Halo 2 or in Halo 3?

EazyB

Banned
Captain Blood said:
Trasher and I are arguing about this right now and it needs to be resolved :lol Do you guys feel that lag and host were more of an issue in Halo 2 or in Halo 3?
Halo 2 was perfect and had no lag. The previous statement was not a product of my unrational nostalgia.

Hope that helps.

Captain Blood said:

I have to say Halo 2, had some really bad laggy games and I thought host was much more noticeable, aka: shotguns on warlock

FourDoor

Trasher said:
I'm going to.

Why?

:)

<insert pic of Shiskira here> :D

Captain Blood said:

Lag in H2 was much worse. BTB was pretty much unplayable 50% of the time. Then throw in the standbyers, that made the game unplayable 80% of the time.

With H3, games are only unplayable to me personally 15% of the time due to lag. So 1 out of every 5 games or so is when I hit some bad connections.

GhaleonEB

Lag in Halo 2 was much, much worse than Halo 3. It's not even a question. BTB was miserable about half the time. I play nearly all BTB now and it's rock solid ~90% of the time.

It depends.

I think Halo 2 had more LAG. and Laggy games.

But when the connection was decent latency effects halo 3 worse than halo 2.

IMO and shit in your mouth.

Merguson

Banned
DualX2 said:
Gentlemen.

I believe I am done.

*loads of pictures*

The map has not been playtested, so I hope to see it used in our games this Saturday. I'm sure it needs it.

Looks good from the pictures, we will know from a playthrough of the map.

Trasher

Well...I just got the RROD. This is my second time. The first time it happened was 2 years ago. I can't send it in to get fixed anymore can I?

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Whats the deal with living dead max 1 when its a ffa social? Kinda weird.

I bet Shishka put at least 2 hours of work into this weekend. You don't realize how hard he works. Go away troll.

Trasher said:
Well...I just got the RROD. This is my second time. The first time it happened was 2 years ago. I can't send it in to get fixed anymore can I?
Damn, dude. Sorry to hear that. You were owning in a couple of those Snipers games, too.

TimeLike

Why is betrayal booting disabled in Living Dead? Doesn't that just encourage assholes to rack up as negative a score as they can? Kinda hard to focus when frank rizzo keeps shotgunning me in the back. :(

GhaleonEB

And done. Sandstorm 2.0

Major final touch were the tunnels on the sides of the top level.

Done1.jpg

Done2.jpg

Ze snipe gun, outside the base. Rockets in similar location, on the column in the distance.

Snipe.jpg

No idea how it plays, but it was a lot of fun to make and to drive around on.

Trasher

Domino Theory said:
http://support.xbox.com/support/en/...en/us/xbox360/registerdevice.aspx?step=repair

Hit "Repair Your Console" on the left. It should tell you if you're still covered under the warranty, afaik.
I did my repair registration over the phone last time so I never registered my console online before. But now when I try to register it it says that my console has already been registered. It says that if you did it online then use the same address information that you used over the phone, and I tried all of that and it is still saying the same thing. Fuck... I can't afford a new 360 right now!

backflip10019 said:
Damn, dude. Sorry to hear that. You were owning in a couple of those Snipers games, too.
Apparently my Xbox couldn't handle all the pwning. :(

NG28

GM Bullfrog said:
Just keep in mind that working with a "canvas" on Sandbox isn't a good idea.

Why isn't it a good idea?

I was getting all pumped today when I had an original (and when I say original, I mean everyone probably had this idea before me) idea of recreating "Stack" from Goldeneye, until I realized you can't submit maps from other games. I cried, but then remembered that Microsoft owns Rare! (One can dream) And then I remembered that Bungie split from Microsoft. :(

Nutter

Trasher said:
I did my repair registration over the phone last time so I never registered my console online before. But now when I try to register it it says that my console has already been registered. It says that if you did it online then use the same address information that you used over the phone, and I tried all of that and it is still saying the same thing. Fuck... I can't afford a new 360 right now!

Apparently my Xbox couldn't handle all the pwning. :(
Call them up, and speak to a supervisor. I am sure you can get them to repair it for free.

Trasher said:
Same exact thing happened to me. Call them up and hopefully you'll still be under warranty.

And Ghaleon, downloading Sandstorm now. Looks very solid.

Ghaleon do you mind if I use your Sandstorm basic layout for a map of mine? I'd like to make a map quite like that but I always give up when making the second layer floor, its like mind numbing to do that in forge.

Cocopjojo said:
Monkey Cage is way cooler of a name than The Green Wall. Just my two cents.
GhaleonEB said:
Okay noted :)
For the most part it's done, but I keep going back into forge and looking for things that could be changed. On one flag, for instance, it's far too easy to drop down and cut through the tunnel in the wall, so I added a fence wall to prevent the jump. Unfortunately, the fence uglifies the map in my opinion. So I'm just trying to mess with little things like that.
Once I get it to where I'm totally happy, I'll rename the map back to Monkey Cage, but for now it's Monkey Cage2.

Kujo

BladedExpert said:
I know exactly what you mean because its usually on the other foot. Half the matches i play, if not more, I'm green but not full green. It sucks for sure :/
Yeah, I'm from Australia and it's even worse, over half the games I play I get a yellow bar. Still manage to win most of the time anyway, but in lag sensitive games like Swords, it's pretty much broken.

I seemed to get more green bars with Halo 2 (on a worse connection), but maybe its just a difference in the way the games report the lag.

Captain Blood said:
Definitely Halo 2. A really solid BTB battle was in the minority of occasions.

Striker

NG28 said:
Why isn't it a good idea?

I was getting all pumped today when I had an original (and when I say original, I mean everyone probably had this idea before me) idea of recreating "Stack" from Goldeneye, until I realized you can't submit maps from other games. I cried, but then remembered that Microsoft owns Rare! (One can dream) And then I remembered that Bungie split from Microsoft. :(
You "save" more by using templates, I suppose you can call them, rather than blanking the entire state and starting from a canvas.

Also, you can always "reimagine" the map, Stack, if you wanted. Maybe not recreate the exact replica, and not call it that very name, but there's a way around that.

Ramirez

I could 4 shot on the regular in Halo 2, most of the time it takes 6 shots in Halo 3. It's weird, I know the net code is better in 3 with things like snipers/shotguns, but with the BR it's like night and day. This is probably due to the random spread I suppose.

EazyB

Banned
Due to my brief absence from the thread :p I missed the news about Utah and Punishment being accepting through Atlas. My brief experience with Utah was lukewarm and having run through Punishment there's a bit that could be cleaned up in forge. That said, it's great to see two decent maps being accepted. Hopefully the methods of testing and making acceptable maps will only improve so we'll see even more than 2 map variants a month introduced.

And speaking of custom map variants...

------------------------------------------------------------
Latest Changes:

4.23 Ghaleon's Sandstorm 2.0
4.23 EazyB's Brouhaha v1
4.23 Ghaleon's Entrenched 1.2 updated
4.17 Striker's Access and Access (Snipers)
4.17 DeputyMoonman's Goldmine updated to v1.5
4.13 Silly.Mikey's So High
4.12 Bladed Expert's Mage - updated to v2.2

Sixthsubset's GAF map blog.

Map maker - Map(s)
Alisdair Bnet - Aspirite v2
Bladed Expert Bnet – Mage v2.2
Butane123 Bnet - Neosho 1.2
Dax01 Bnet – Outskirts, Geminie
DeputyMoonman Bnet - Goldmine v1.5
EazyB Bnet- Brouhaha v1, Ber Ber Creek, Ber Ber Customs, Rise v3.1
Exfixate Bnet - Gangplank Galley
Fin Bnet - Refuge v1
FourDoor Bnet - Air Stream 0.2
Ghaleon Bnet - Sandstorm 2.0, Centrifugal, Entrenched 1.2
GM Bullfrog Bnet – Kulkukan
Grimm Fandango Bnet – Turf II v 2.1
Havok Bnet - Agartha, Phaeton
Insaniac Bnet - Sky Perch
Metroidvania Bnet - Mountain 1.03
Merguson Bnet – Firmament v1.2
Nokyard Bnet - Grifball High, Grifball Palace
Oozer Bnet - Remnant a1.0
Silly.Mikey Bnet - So High
Spirit Bnet– Pitfall V2, Worship
Spudbud Bnet - gave up on life
Striker Bnet - Access, Access (Snipers)
Vhfive Bnet - Platform, Sanctum, Flying Dutchman
Vociferous Bnet - Abaddon

Tools
Fourdoor - All default objects moved to crypt
Nokyard - Girfball High can be modified to take advantage of it's existing flat flooring in the sky bubble.
Vociferous - All objects on the ground moved aside so that they aren't in the way.
Vociferous - All default objects moved to the skybubble
------------------------------------------------------------

I think I'll also highlight non-GAF maps I find interesting because there's a lot of good stuff beginning to accumulate on the internet. This time I'll just bring attention to the two maps that were approved from Atlas and will be hitting MM next month. It's important to note that both maps are not necessarily in their final state at this point. For those forging it may also be useful to look at these maps to see what a MM-worthy map looks like, it's spawns, and other things.

Utah Mambo
Punishment v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom