• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Vociferous said:
Wow, that looks awesome.

Out of curiosity, has anyone pulled off a reasonable Ivory Tower remake yet?

This. Ivory Tower was a great map and it is totally possible to be made in Forge, albeit very complicated. I was hoping for a some Ascension remakes in the sky bubble too, but all the ones that I've seen so far have been really bad.

Thermite

EazyB said:
I've got the first playable build of my BTB map done. It's not like anything I've done before so I'm really unsure about how it'll play.

Brouhaha

*images everwhere*

Welcome back, d00d. :)

Nice looking map there, btw. Definitely have to get some games in on it..

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
word and we gotta play on that prisoner this weekend too....and in other news...I finally got my 50 in MLG. what a relief

Tashi0106 said:
word and we gotta play on that prisoner this weekend too....and in other news...I finally got my 50 in MLG. what a relief
CONGRATS MAN! Nice work, I know you've been going for it for quite a while.

Now to get me my 50

Oreoleo

I just got bit by a curiosity bug, so I pose a question to you all:

Which playlists do you feel are the easiest/hardest get level 50 in?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tashi0106 said:
1v1 RIGHT NAOOOO N000B!!!!!!!11 FUCK1N RAND0M!!!!!!11

thanks

LOL for a second there I thought it was Trasher saying that and I was like "there's no way that BK could get a 50, in MLG of all places". But it r u.

Nice job.

Trasher

Domino Theory said:
LOL for a second there I thought it was Trasher saying that and I was like "there's no way that BK could get a 50, in MLG of all places". But it r u.

Nice job.
Nice gold bars scrub.
IDIOTTTTT

Tashi

Thanks peeps

and yo backflip, I have that other account now so we can get your 50 if you like.

Orellio said:
I just got bit by a curiosity bug, so I pose a question to you all:

Which playlists do you feel are the easiest/hardest get level 50 in?

Any playlist where you have to rely less on other people with the exception of Lone Wolves. I first got it by playing a bunch of 3v3's in Team Slayer with some of my friends...I carried really hard. Lone Wolves is a weird one because you can get a 50 by getting 3rd place in every game but FFA by nature requires a lot of luck.

To me the hardest has got to be MLG. The competition in that playlist is soooo much better than in any other playlist I've played in. Also, it's a mix of Slayer and Objective. It's fast paced and at 45 and higher you start to play against semi-pros and pros sometimes and people who know what they're doing. Most of the people that high up in that playlists are already 50's in other playlists. It requires fast thinking and team oriented decision making. Most of the people that high up time all of the weapons so they know when they're going to respawn. There are common and well known setups and positions that are expected to be known from each teammate. Of course they need to be executed as well. You need to be able to accurately make call outs on enemy positions and be able to team shoot.

The craziest part is that it's probably best to go in with a team of 3 or 4 with people you know but you only get matched against others teams of 3 (and maybe with 1 random guy) or another team of 4. One simple mistake such as missing a flag throw can be the difference between a win or a loss.

GhaleonEB

Nice to have you back, Eazy. Your map looks pretty interesting. One-sided maps are much harder to design than symmetrical ones; I've started a few and abandoned all of them. So I admire anyone who sees one that complex through to completion. Hopefully we can give it a run on Saturday.

Just about done with Sandstorm 2.0. Lots of small changes, a couple of big ones, and the entire top level ironed out so it's playable for infantry. Probably 95% of the geometry done, and then to finish up the weapons and spawns.

Overview:

75379194-Full.jpg

(Missile pod tucked in the front of the base, behind the inward facing ramps.)

One side view down the map:

75379227-Full.jpg

And the other:

75379253-Full.jpg

Center:

75379284-Full.jpg

Profile:

75379332-Full.jpg

Compared to the first version, it's much easier to get to the second floor from the sides now, there's more room for vehicles on the second floor, bases are tweaked (but not yet done), weapon placement redone, some cover added down below. Still some more to do, but I'm liking how it "feels". Should be ready for the GAF weekend.

fin

Mr Vociferous said:
Wow, that looks awesome.

Out of curiosity, has anyone pulled off a reasonable Ivory Tower remake yet?

The map I did Refuge has an Ivory Tower vibe to it, a red-headed step child vibe. But if I were to do it all over again I would've done it in the Crypt. I just don't have the time these days to sit down and dedicate whats needed to make a well constructed map. It may work layout-wise but the map isn't up to snuff esthetically.

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=68441961

Has any gaffers tried this yet? I can do some cleaning to it and have it ready for saturday...

MIMIC

Banned
I got my very first Extermination EVER....on Orbital :D (Team Swat). As soon as I heard "Triple Kill!" I knew that either a) I was about to hear the announcer say something that I've never heard him tell me or b) I was gonna smash the controller.

Orbital is proving to be a lucky map for me. I played Team Mythic for the first time ever tonight and in my very first game (Orbital), I got a Running Riot and almost got a Perfection....another emblem I don't have yet. I was targeted in the end, though. :(

And I'm handing out Kill Joy achievements like it ain't shit :lol And I myself have yet to get one.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Quick tips, Eazy: Increase regen respawn time, remove the turret (although I'm assuming it'd be good for One-sided objective games since we only played some small Slayer FFA on it) and increase the camo's respawn time by..a lot.

MIMIC said:
I got my very first Extermination EVER....on Orbital :D (Team Swat). As soon as I heard "Triple Kill!" I knew that either a) I was about to hear the announcer say something that I've never heard him tell me or b) I was gonna smash the controller.

Orbital is proving to be a lucky map for me. I played Team Mythic for the first time ever tonight and in my very first game (Orbital), I got a Running Riot and almost got a Perfection....another emblem I don't have yet. I was targeted in the end, though. :(

And I'm handing out Kill Joy achievements like it ain't shit :lol And I myself have yet to get one.
Got my extermination on Orbital too, as well as the perfection achievement.

Orbital has been kind to me.

TimeLike

Dax01 said:
Got my extermination on Orbital too, as well as the perfection achievement.

Orbital has been kind to me.

Damn all you perfection having people. Damn you all! It will never happen to me. sadface.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I got 20 kills and 1 fucking death on orbital the other day. 1!

I wasn't even trying for a perfection either :( I didn't even know it was an achievement actually.

DualX

Gentlemen.

I believe I am done.

75391796-Full.jpg

Even though I kept the same general layout, I wanted to go ahead and added nice hardwood flooring.
75391833-Full.jpg

The "highway" splits into two paths. One for the direct approach to the base, and this picture shows us...
75391893-Full.jpg

..that this path takes us a more "Warthog" centric trail to the backside of the base.
75391924-Full.jpg

Underneath the middle portion of the map.
75392086-Full.jpg

This is the "Garage" located next to the Offensive base.
75391951-Full.jpg

Garage Overview.
75392023-Full.jpg

Nice view of the Defensive base.
75392097-Full.jpg

Once you finally have the flag, you can take the Warthog all the way around for a nice jump back to your base!
75392181-Full.jpg

The map has not been playtested, so I hope to see it used in our games this Saturday. I'm sure it needs it.

Louis Wu

MIMIC said:

I was playing SWArbital with my son last weekend, and one of the other team's players was afk. I took out the three moving players at one point... and started turning towards the afk guy, who was standing nearby. Before I could get the Overkill Extermination, though my son shot him. :(

Good job on the Exterm. :D

God fucking dammit, I am so fucking sick of Bungie's shitty netcode, hit detection, etc. I fucking put 4 fucking shots into someone after he was shot twice by me and another teammate and I fucking get out BRed because my shots apparently don't hit. This happens all the fucking time in games with more than 4 people. Fix your fucking shit Bungie. For now, I'm boycotting your fucking piece of shit of a fucking game. Fuck.

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=75402595

backflip10019 said:
God fucking dammit, I am so fucking sick of Bungie's shitty netcode, hit detection, etc. I fucking put 4 fucking shots into someone after he was shot twice by me and another teammate and I fucking get out BRed because of fucking lag. Fix your fucking shit Bungie. For now, I'm boycotting your fucking shit of fucking game. Fuck.

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=75402595
Can we be clear here? You're asking Bungie to... fix the Internet?

Shake Appeal said:
Can we be clear here? You're asking Bungie to... fix the Internet?
I'm asking them to fucking stop sucking.

Edit: Ugh, ok I'll try being more civil. Every time I play ranked games, I'm matched up against a team whose connections make me think that they're playing in Australia or something. Isn't there a way to pit these shitty connection teams against each other? I'm aware that there is an option to sort by connection/language, but that option really doesn't ever work. UGH I'm frustrated.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
backflip10019 said:

Edit: Ugh, ok I'll try being more civil. Every time I play ranked games, I'm matched up against a team whose connections make me think that they're playing in Australia or something. Isn't there a way to pit these shitty connection teams against each other? I'm aware that there is an option to sort by connection/language, but that option really doesn't ever work. UGH I'm frustrated.

That would be the internet. Bungie's netcode is fairly awesome, even objectively.

backflip10019 said:

I think it was just a case of you playing my friends and I (UK) and us having the host (or at least someone in the EU). I know exactly what you mean because its usually on the other foot. Half the matches i play, if not more, I'm green but not full green. It sucks for sure :/

GhaleonEB said:
I'm pretty sure he was playing slayer.
:lol :lol :lol

And Bladed, sorry for quitting out of that match. I honestly had had it.

And go figure, the next game I play of MLG, I'm matched up with this fucking douchenut named ObamAmerican who doesn't cease to call me a "fucking fag" for a couple of minutes. I shoot him a few times and my entire team quits. It's awesome how great the masses of the Halo 3 community are.

I still don't understand why Bungie hasn't incurred some kind of greater penalty for quitting, like not being able to start a new game for a couple of minutes.

NG28

Can anyone tell me the starting budget for a completely gutted sandbox? I swear after I gutted it and saved it I had 1800, but now when I open it I only have 1500 to work with.

backflip10019 said:
:lol :lol :lol

And Bladed, sorry for quitting out of that match. I honestly had had it.

And go figure, the next game I play of MLG, I'm matched up with this fucking douchenut named ObamAmerican who doesn't cease to call me a "fucking fag" for a couple of minutes. I shoot him a few times and my entire team quits. It's awesome how great the masses of the Halo 3 community are.

I still don't understand why Bungie hasn't incurred some kind of greater penalty for quitting, like not being able to start a new game for a couple of minutes.

No probs man, we'd lost already lol.

Ive always said that would be a good measure. 2 mins cool down time after quitting. If you have some reason to quit (babies crying ect) you don't mind waiting.

Louis Wu

backflip10019 said:
I shoot him a few times and my entire team quits. It's awesome how great the masses of the Halo 3 community are.
If your online persona is ANYTHING like your GAF persona, I'd consider quitting if I ended up on a team with you. (And I NEVER quit - I've had 10 EXP penalties, and 9 have been power outages/random disconnects, with the last one being my son, the first time he ever started getting beaten. I told him if he ever did it again (while on my connection), it would be the last time he played with me.)

You... grate on my nerves.

NG28 said:
Can anyone tell me the starting budget for a completely gutted sandbox? I swear after I gutted it and saved it I had 1800, but now when I open it I only have 1500 to work with.

Try placing a new object and then deleting it. The budget should go back to 1800. Just a small glitch if this is the case.

Louis Wu said:
If your online persona is ANYTHING like your GAF persona, I'd consider quitting if I ended up on a team with you. (And I NEVER quit - I've had 10 EXP penalties, and 9 have been power outages/random disconnects, with the last one being my son, the first time he ever started getting beaten. I told him if he ever did it again (while on my connection), it would be the last time he played with me.)

Thanks?

And yeah, I'm much more amiable online than I am on GAF. I feel like I just use this thread to rant about BS.

Louis Wu said:

Wu, is it at all possible we can play some games together? Maybe later this week?

NG28 said:

Just keep in mind that working with a "canvas" on Sandbox isn't a good idea.

Sai-kun

Banned
Dax01 said:
Wu, is it at all possible we can play some games together? Maybe later this week?

No.

:D

Anyways, why doesn't Grifball come up more often in Mythic! :( it's so much fun. But 3v3 Grifball just doesn't work. It's weird.

Sai-kun said:
Anyways, why doesn't Grifball come up more often in Mythic! :( it's so much fun. But 3v3 Grifball just doesn't work. It's weird.
Eh, I dunno. Personally, I like the Foundry Grifball map. The Sandbox version that we have now is too big.

Also, anyone with an alt (Tashi, Bladed), how do I get the maps to work with my new account? It says that I don't have them. Do I have to redownload?

Sai-kun said:
No.

:D

Ugh, I hate Grifball, mostly because I am SOOO terrible with the hammer. :( No gametype makes me feel more useless.

Sai-kun

Banned
backflip10019 said:
Also, anyone with an alt (Tashi, Bladed), how do I get the maps to work with my new account? It says that I don't have them. Do I have to redownload?

I think so.

Revengeance said:
Ugh, I hate Grifball, mostly because I am SOOO terrible with the hammer. :( No gametype makes me feel more useless.

Grifball is like the one gametype where I don't lag at all. It's really strange. I'm pretty lucky with the hammer. :D

Tashi

backflip10019 said:
Eh, I dunno. Personally, I like the Foundry Grifball map. The Sandbox version that we have now is too big.

Nah you gotta sign in with the name you bought them on, and then with a second controller sign in with your alt and then sign out the original. That should do it.

And yo, the more you run into matchmaking alone the worse the experience is going to be. I really don't go into MLG alone anymore. If no one is on and I wanna play, I'll go into snipers and I just don't even talk to anyone. I just dookie on people. Or I'll even switch to my alt and play some MLG there. (And also dookie on people there)

Wow I just went on to Bnet and the line at the top says "Pretend it's a Popsicle!" That's pretty funny.

MIMIC

Banned
Louis Wu said:
I was playing SWArbital with my son last weekend, and one of the other team's players was afk. I took out the three moving players at one point... and started turning towards the afk guy, who was standing nearby. Before I could get the Overkill Extermination, though my son shot him. :(

Good job on the Exterm. :D

oh2qhh.gif

GhaleonEB said:
I'm pretty sure he was playing slayer.

lolz

OuterWorldVoice said:
That would be the internet. Bungie's netcode is fairly awesome, even objectively.
Kids today. Such a sense of entitlement.

backflip, do you realise how miraculous it is that you can press a button on your controller and affect someone's game being played in the same city, let alone the same country, let alone the world? Before you even begin to talk about 'netcode', the fact that there exists an infrastructure (series of tubes) that allows your Xbox 360 (itself a marvel of engineering) to talk to other Xbox 360s is fucken magical. It's the happiest ending to the greatest Disney movie your childhood self never saw. And to think that multiple players can press buttons, all at once, and have those inputs affect their shared experiences simultaneously, around the world, in a matter of milliseconds... it's beyond the comprehension of any single individual. It has taken millennia for us to develop and implement the technology that allows you to post on this messageboard, and yet here you are using it to complain about how you can't four-shot "bad kids".

For shame, son. Go sit in the yard.

Tashi0106 said:
Nah you gotta sign in with the name you bought them on, and then with a second controller sign in with your alt and then sign out the original. That should do it.

You should only have to do that though if you are not playing on the machine you bought them on. If you are not then you could always do a license transfer. But you can only do that once every 12 months.

Shake Appeal said:
... is fucken magical....

Nah, it's Science! :lol

ron-burgundy.jpg

Shake Appeal said:
Kids today. Such a sense of entitlement.

backflip, do you realise how miraculous it is that you can press a button on your controller and affect someone's game being played in the same city, let alone the same country, let alone the world? Before you even begin to talk about 'netcode', the fact that there exists an infrastructure (series of tubes) that allows your Xbox 360 (itself a marvel of engineering) to talk to other Xbox 360s is fucken magical. It's the happiest ending to the greatest Disney movie your childhood self never saw. And to think that multiple players can press buttons, all at once, and have those inputs affect their shared experiences simultaneously, around the world, in a matter of milliseconds... it's beyond the comprehension of any single individual. It has taken millennia for us to develop and implement the technology that allows you to post on this messageboard, and yet here you are using it to complain about how you can't four-shot "bad kids".

For shame, son. Go sit in the yard.
Cool. Yeah, it's certainly neat, but still it should work the way it's supposed to.

Trasher

Louis Wu said:

Backflip is a cool dude. Don't hate on him, Wu! He's a good guy to play with.

FourDoor

Point 1: Bungie = USA

Point 2: FourDoor and his friends are from the USA

Point 3: Nobody outside of the USA should be getting host in games because of said points 2 and points 3

Point 4: Addendum to point 3: If all players are from the USA, the host should never be outside of the West Coast! :D

I played for the first time again in almost 2 weeks and we ran into so many international players who had some of the worst host advantage I have ever seen in a while. We played some Australians, Brits, Canadians, and Frenchies but the worst match was a combo of the team having some dudes from Canada and the UK at the same time. The UK dude was apparantly BR'ing our entire team before he even comes around a corner.

It's just no fun getting 2shotted from across the map when you have full shields and facing off against just one guy.

PS: Dual, the map looks sweet! Link to the fileshare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom