• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
6 V 6 on Foundry is an abberation - the map is not generally intended for that kind of madness, but it's a decent compromise for the DLC Hopper.

Stinkles said:
6 V 6 on Foundry is an abberation - the map is not generally intended for that kind of madness, but it's a decent compromise for the DLC Hopper.

Its easy to see it wasnt intended for more than 8 players but it played ok with 12. Little crazy but enjoyable nonetheless. Cant wait to play some 4v4 slayer and maybe some Hardcore on that one.

On a lighter note i made a racetrack on Foundry earlier. Its not quite up to scratch yet but once it is its going in the fileshare fo sho!! The Corridor of Doom and Pit of Eternal Suicide are the stand-out sections in my humble opinion, and more of a challenge than your opponents could ever be! Forge FTMFW!! :D

AdmiralViscen said:
Does Foundry ever appear in Matchmaking?

And is Standoff only for Big Team?

I had a game on Standoff in Team Slayer. Team BR's i believe it was. Not sure about Foundry, ive not had it outside of DLC hopper yet

Ajemsuhgao said:
We remade Wizard/Warlock :D

It turned out far better than I expected. It plays, and feels EXACTLY like the originals. With the added equipment, it's really fun.

B.net fileshare thread, and map variant download.

Kudos, this map is brilliant!!

Only potential problem: you can get up to the third level of boxes with a grenade jump, and from there into the back areas. You can probably fix it by putting more stuff up there, but I haven't tried it.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
AdmiralViscen said:
Is matchmaking Foundry just the big empty space, a default layout, or do they have a selection of layouts that you can land?

Default Bungie layout.

Frenck

Banned
Yay!

My first Forge map variant is finally playable.

A slight warning: It certainly isn't a looker :lol

I've tried to recreate the essence of soccer (not simply deathmatch with a ball) and I haven't seen any other soccer variants so far so I had to be creative.

This variant is played with 75% gravity, 75% speed and Gravity Hammers only. Players are able to pick up instantly respawning gravity lifts for Ronaldinho-esque shenanigans and that's it. Everyone is invincible and it is possible for the ball to get out of play, if that happens the players have to wait for it to respawn as throw-ins proved to be rather complicated to implement with only 4 stationary gravity lifts available to the player.

I decided early on that I wanted to have an air game with crosses and longe range shots from midfield. That means man-cannon galore and I had to design the goals differently (more like basketball). Additionally I had to build a stadium or rather an arena because I wanted the ball to be able to go out of play.

The gameplay is quite simple, to dribble you simply walk against the ball, this is the recommended way of crossing too, you simply push the ball onto a man-cannon and if you hit it at the right angle with the right velocity it can be a cross, a shot on goal or the ball goes wide and you'll have to wait for it to respawn.

Another way of scoring is to use the gravity hammer which is quite inaccurate and can easily result in chain reactions that can actually lead to own goals.

There are 4 man-cannons in either half, 2 for crosses or long-range shots, one for goal kicks and one for a direct shot at the goal (it's a pretty much a guaranteed goal). The middle one for direct shots is hard to reach though as you have to navigate around some strategically placed shield doors.

There is a random element to it that makes it somehow entertaining.

The main problem is that the map is ugly as sin. I'm no Forge maestro and the map looks as if someone shat it out.

Soccer1.jpg

The Thunderdome :D

Soccer2.jpg

Remember: The ball can't pass through shield doors, if it touches a shield door it bounces around like a pinball

Soccer3.jpg

Me scoring a goal

Soccer4.jpg

A long range shot hits the "woodwork" (in this case one of four gravity lifts)

Soccer5.jpg

A goal scored from one of the outer man-cannons (players can pick up the gravity lift here)

Revengeance said:
Kudos, this map is brilliant!!

Only potential problem: you can get up to the third level of boxes with a grenade jump, and from there into the back areas. You can probably fix it by putting more stuff up there, but I haven't tried it.

Yeah, there were one or two problem areas. We tried to fix them all, but I think we had maybe $2 left after finishing everything.

LukeSmith

Insaniac said:
Anyone want to dl my foundry map "Great Wall" and try it out with their friends or with me? I am looking for some feedback on balance and overall gameplay (suited for 2-team based matches, especially CTF)

here are some screenies:

And here is my Fileshare. It is the file "Great Wall"
http://www.bungie.net/stats/Halo3/FileShare.aspx?gamertag=Lintendo64

Looks awesome, I'm gonna download it today from work. Later today we're putting up a printable pdf of Foundry for folks to do some paper drawings on, it'll all be to scale so folks can doodle and kill time when they should be working.

LukeSmith said:
Looks awesome, I'm gonna download it today from work. Later today we're putting up a printable pdf of Foundry for folks to do some paper drawings on, it'll all be to scale so folks can doodle and kill time when they should be working.

Awesome, I was actually just looking for a printout of Foundry overhead to start working on a map I have in mind.

LukeSmith said:
Later today we're putting up a printable pdf of Foundry for folks to do some paper drawings on, it'll all be to scale so folks can doodle and kill time when they should be working.

Oh, awesome. That'll definitely help.

GhaleonEB

LukeSmith said:
THANK YOU. I doodled out the design I was working on last night on paper, but my drawing skills are roughly in line with my sniper skills. A template will help.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, all this Foundry stuff looks fun as all hell. Better get started fillin' up my DL queue.
And it's day one.

TDG

Banned
Insaniac said:
That looks awesome. I'll DL it as soon as I get a chance.

Dirtbag 504 said:
EDIT:ALSO, would have been the map to finally break out the gauss hog. Given the line of sight on the map, I think people on foot would stand a pretty good chance against it, and I know alot of us love playing around in the Guass Hog. Maybe that can come in a future iteration of the map.
I don't really agree with most of the stuff you said about Rat's Nest, but I agree with this 100%. It would speed up the game, as two warthogs shooting each other with the turret slows things down a bit and feels sort of unsatisfying.

But only one Gauss Hog, the rest should stay as they are.

Cocopjojo said:
Hooray!

I wish Marty was my father. Or son. Or some sort of good friend.

GhaleonEB

Diablohead said:
Some fun and amazing foundry edits so far, hope sometime in the future theres a foundry only playlist... hint hint.
I'd love to see a Community Playlist, comprised entirely of maps and gametypes pulled from user creations, and updated regularly.

Insaniac

GhaleonEB said:
I'd love to see a Community Playlist, comprised entirely of maps and gametypes pulled from user creations, and updated regularly.

Yes, with the release of foundry, I wish there was a way to create a online lobby for random people to join your forge maps. It's hard to gather up enough people to get a good game going often.

ShinAmano

GhaleonEB said:
If this is not done it would be a HUGE disappointment...I would even go so far as hope that in the next map pack there is a second build your own map...map that could add to this playlist. :D

GhaleonEB

ShinAmano said:
If this is not done it would be a HUGE disappointment...I would even go so far as hope that in the next map pack there is a second build your own map...map that could add to this playlist. :D
Agreed. In fact, they could use Bungie Favorites as a way to find the stuff to add into the playlists - just pick the items that are most popular and most frequently downloaded.

I'd like to see another "blank slate" map as well, this time in a larger outdoors environment. Foundry is very cool, but it's more tailored toward on-foot combat and smaller groups. Something like Sandtrap sans the ruins, and with a collection of larger parts to build geographical features could be very interesting. It's probably harder to manage the budget that way; Foundy has a pretty generous limit, which I'm assuming is partly a result of the enclosed nature of the map. But still, it's clearly a hit with the community so more like it would be great.

Side note: the details on Foundry are wonderful. I was especially delighted that the vacuum lying on the floor is actually running, and makes a nice slurping/sucking noise when you get close to the end of the hose. :lol

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
So tomorrow I will be at Disneyland wishing I was in front of my HDTV playing Halo 3. I am a sad person.

Kuroyume

Banned
Nutter said:
It has to be ranked FFA.

p.s Someone needs to make a good Midship variant from foundry!
*Unless a Midship remake is coming? (please make it bungie)!!! :p

Thanks for pointing that out to me. :x

DeadCell

Is it possible to have the most popular Foundry variants show up in social matchmaking along with the default layout? This map is designed specifically with Forge in mind, it'd only be fitting for it to have multiple layouts for people to mingle in... at least in social matches.

Also, great job on the map Insaniac... CTF would be epic on it.

Mau ®

I just finished Halo 3. I just named Half Life 2 my favorite FPS of all time but after finished Halo 3 I am seriously questioning my decision. Its THAT good.

Strange... because I though Halo 1 was OK and Halo 2 was pretty good but Halo 3 is like AMAZING.

Cant wait for Halo 4... if it happens.

Stabby McSter said:
asdl;mfdmaklbaflkmds

forge is the most tedious thing ever

i'll never recreate foundation :(

Yeah, Foundry is far too small to remake Foundation.

Midship can be remade, but it would have to be pretty blocky.

My friend and I(same one that helped with Mage(wizard/warlock remake) tried to redo Derelict. We got almost the entire lower level done, and kinda walked around a bit, and realized that it would be far too small to play well. :(

I still want to do Longest, but Foundry's just too narrow. Oh well, I'm happy with our Wizard remake(and apparently so are 546 other people :lol)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ajemsuhgao said:
Yeah, Foundry is far too small to remake Foundation.

Midship can be remade, but it would have to be pretty blocky.

My friend and I(same one that helped with Mage(wizard/warlock remake) tried to redo Derelict. We got almost the entire lower level done, and kinda walked around a bit, and realized that it would be far too small to play well. :(

I still want to do Longest, but Foundry's just too narrow. Oh well, I'm happy with our Wizard remake(and apparently so are 546 other people :lol)

Wait 'til you see some of the original stuff, like The Great Wall.

Stinkles said:
Wait 'til you see some of the original stuff, like The Great Wall.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to original Forge creations, but having some of the old Halo CE classics would be great. I didn't realize how much I missed some of those maps, until I started to really think about them again.

HugBasket

Banned
I've been working on a map on Foundry (OMG!) and I've got the basic layout done. Just got to think of some weapon placements and minor details.

My File Share

The Map is Changes 001. Any input would be great.

Stinkles said:
fix melee, bitch

TRUTH! Oh wait...After starting to get back into Halo 3 after a semi-hiatus now that I'm not binging on it, the melee doesn't bother me as much. Granted it's still "messed up" it's not causing as much frustration after spending so much time split between school, work, CoD4, Mass Effect, TF2 and now back to Halo 3. It's about fun. What it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom