• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

helava

Looking forward to Mass Effect on the iPhone, but that's more because I hope there's more story. I couldn't really care less (in this case) about the combat... ha.

But man... I dunno what it is with Tower Defense and the iPhone. I've got the Creeps, GeoDefense, and Fieldrunners - at this point, a TD game has to be better than all three of those combined to be worth getting, and it has to somehow solve the problem of having to play 30 waves just to be killed by the 31st, or I'm just not going to bother anymore.

Good luck to you, Bliddo - Star Ride looks beautiful.

RPS37

Stoney Mason said:
Isotope: A Space Shooter

A quite polished and solid take on the Geometry Wars formula. Sort of reminds me of Blue Attack. Only the lite version is up at the moment so I'll do a bump when the full version comes out.

Lite Version
Video

2wqvgp1.jpg

345ho61.jpg

mutzpu.jpg

Just got the demo. Kind of digging it.
If the full version is <$5, it's probably as good as bought.

Twig

Banned
Alpha_eX said:
This is very similar to the one on Orisinal.com, I wish they'd release all their games for iPhone, i'd buy a few.
Yeah, Winter Bells.

I love Winter Bells. A large part because of the music!

Orisinal is pretty awesome, all in all. I agree.

Bliddo

Tranced Shadow said:
Congrats!

I'd buy but... iTunes says it works with the 2G Touch only (I've got the first one)? Is this true? :(
Yes, I had to use some API calls only available in 2.x to make sure the game was compatible with iPod background in both firmare 2.0 and 3.0. I'm not happy with that choice but I had no alternatives.

Yep, Orisinals' Winter Bells inspired me a lot in the making of Star Ride. Orisinal's game are gorgeous and creative, they should really port their work to iPhone.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, much appreciated.

Bliddo

Tranced Shadow said:
Congrats!

I'd buy but... iTunes says it works with the 2G Touch only (I've got the first one)? Is this true? :(
Sorry, I just realized that th appstore meant second gen, that I associated with 2.x firmware.
The app works on 1st gen ipods, I tested it myself.
That's a mistake, I'll fix it.

dock

I am travelling this weekend and I find myself wishing there was a 10mb or less filter option on the iphone app store. In fact it would be nice to see how large they are in general.

bdouble

60_gig_PS3 said:
it's the first game Ive played with virtual d-pad that feels pretty good.
I think tthis is due to the size of peoples fingsers and the "dead" zone or spacing in between the keys. What they need to start implementing is a customized dpad. So you can change the position, distance between the directions and position. I had no problems with the iDracula controls.

Or Apple just needs to release an accessory to frame the device with a joystick and some buttons but I don't think that is going to happen.

bdouble said:
I think tthis is due to the size of peoples fingsers and the "dead" zone or spacing in between the keys. What they need to start implementing is a customized dpad. So you can change the position, distance between the directions and position. I had no problems with the iDracula controls.

Or Apple just needs to release an accessory to frame the device with a joystick and some buttons but I don't think that is going to happen.

A joystick/button device add on with wide acceptance isn't going to happen. It's first and foremost a phone or a multi-media device in the case of the touch. They aren't going to split the market in that manner.

As far as the virtual D-Pad some simply are better programmed than others. I've used some that are pretty good and some that are awful. This one is nice because it re-centers itself where ever you place your fingers which is a better approach than the one location fits all approach most apps take. It also has a bunch of other control options which is nice.

RPS37

Isotope may have just became my favorite iphone game thus far.
I really like the graphics, the controls aren't giving me trouble yet, the cash/xp systems make it addictive and it's Geometry Wars for iphone.

Survival mode is basically Evolved mode and you can use to grind for cash.

Just found Glass Tower... Boom Blox style game

Glass Tower is a game with physical collisions and gravity simulation.

This game is made to give You a lot of fun, in it's developement process we always think about interesting and theoretically endless gameplay.

Due to phisical-based engine every level can be passed in many different ways, also amount of levels is unlimited, when You pass predesigned levels others are generated randomly.

Your game progress is always saved, so You can continue playing last level you reached any time.

And finally we have many new ideas to implement in next updates to make the game more dynamic and interesting.

- real-like physical simulation
- endless gameplay
- fast game engine with many effects
- bright and clear graphics
- pretty sounds and music
- different backgrounds to choose

28cizgx.jpg

Tap on the block to shatter it, but be carefull - the tower can loose its balance and fall down.

Your mission is to destroy all blue blocks, and to save as much red blocks as possible.

Blue blocks add a score. Its amount depends on the size of the block.

Red blocks subtract your score. Blue blocks that fall outside platform give You a half more scores.

Red blocks subtract twice more.

If Your score falls below zero the game is over.

iTunes link
($0.99)

Flunkie

Banned
Star Ride and Isotope are fucking awesome.

I wish the iPhone/iPod would have got more coverage at E3 though. I say that like it's over already, but it doesn't look like it's going to get any love. :(

Mar

Phoenix said:
Now you can take your addiction with you. Worker productivity will drop for months to come.

I just told my wife about it. She's been waiting for this game for a while. A personal megaton for her, she'll be getting it this afternoon.

I may never see her again.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Phoenix said:
Now you can take your addiction with you. Worker productivity will drop for months to come.

My boss is off tomorrow, so I am thinking I will be playing this all day.

Twig

Banned
This isn't at all game related, but is there any way to put photos on an iPod Touch at full-res? iTunes "optimizes" any images I put on there. AKA I tried putting some Tokyo train maps on my iPod and they're totally unreadable. ];

Jonnyram

TheOneGuy said:
This isn't at all game related, but is there any way to put photos on an iPod Touch at full-res? iTunes "optimizes" any images I put on there. AKA I tried putting some Tokyo train maps on my iPod and they're totally unreadable. ];
Have you tried sending it by email and saving to your images folder?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Sims 3 is pretty good, no building mode but it's telling me to "Plant Crops" and I can't. Drained the battery like a mother fucker.

dskillzhtown

VOOK said:
Sims 3 is pretty good, no building mode but it's telling me to "Plant Crops" and I can't. Drained the battery like a mother fucker.

Outside of building mode, is the game full-featured? Meaning not feeling gimped?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
dskillzhtown said:
Outside of building mode, is the game full-featured? Meaning not feeling gimped?

It's pretty much the Sims, people don't seem to come to your house, there is goals and wishes out of Sims 3, but yeah pretty fully featured. Not a lot of furniture options though or clothes for that matter.

dskillzhtown

VOOK said:
It's pretty much the Sims, people don't seem to come to your house, there is goals and wishes out of Sims 3, but yeah pretty fully featured. Not a lot of furniture options though or clothes for that matter.

Cool. I am sure the clothes and furniture are being saved for 3.0 and the DLC options.
I'll pick this up shortly.

Remy

http://toucharcade.com/2009/06/02/flight-control-addicts-mash-update-now/

The 1.2 update for Firemint's brilliant pick up and play classic, Flight Control just landed at its destination. If for some strange reason you don't have Flight Control yet, it's a devilishly simple game where you have a single task: successfully land as many aircraft as possible. Different planes and helicopters fly in from the side of the screen, you tap them then draw a path to lead them to their runway or landing pad without colliding with anything else.

The beauty of Flight Control is its simplicity. It's like Tetris in that it only takes a second to learn to play, but standing a chance at a competitive high score takes true aircraft pathing mastery. 1.2 features two new airfields, the beachside resort (seen above) and the aircraft carrier. Each new airfield also comes with new aircraft, such as the seaplane and the navy jet. Also, if you find the pace of Flight Control to be a little too slow, there's also a fast forward button now.

While the two new airfields are cool, neither compare to how awesome the new scoreboards and online leaderboard systems are. Using their tagging system and Firemint's Cloudcell technology you can follow users, create custom leaderboards, and all kinds of other crazy things I never would have expected in a 99 cent game.

Once you get your Flight Control updated, be sure to log in to the Cloudcell and set your tag to TouchArcade, doing so will list all your scores with other Touch Arcade members!

I just tagged myself with "neogaf". Here's our scoreboard!

helava

img_0002.png

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=316087672&mt=8

Alright - to celebrate Taxiball getting featured as "New and Noteworthy" on the App Store (on the Games page), we're cutting the already-low introductory price to a ludicrous $0.99 for a limited time only! Seriously! This sale goes ONLY until 6/5/09, then after that, the game goes up to full price!

If you've already picked up the game, we're prepping our first update, which adds a new bonus level - and you have our eternal gratitude. We couldn't have gotten featured without you, and are immensely grateful for your support.

If you've been on the fence, now's your chance to pick up the game reviewers have been raving about:

----

Even though I own a lot of apps and I have to sort through some crap, Taxiball deserves to be pushed to the top, it’s crazy tilting fun... you’ll thank TheAPPera.com for uncovering this gem for you!" - theAPPera.com

"One look at Taxiball and it's clear that the developers had fun creating the title... The game has a wonderful sense of humor and is engaging on all fronts. Taxiball is a great value." - slidetoplay.com

"If you're tired of ball-rolling games not quite living up to expectations on the iPhone then it's your sworn duty to go and grab this. Games and developers of this calibre are what's needed to stem the flow of rubbish shovelware that seems to be creeping onto the iTunes store. Indulge yourself with a truly classy roll-'em-up game destined to become a cult hit, and deservedly so." - allaboutthegames.co.uk

"...you can finally take Labyrinth off your phone’s app rotation, Taxiball is here and ready to blow you away... Taxiball is an exceptionally fun game that will keep you entertained for hours." - iphonegamenetwork.com EDITOR'S CHOICE

----

Thanks, GAFers - I'm hoping with this push, we can tear past Labyrinth, and never look back. :) That said, the sale's only 'till Friday, so I hope you'll grab it while it's cheap!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=316087672&mt=8

Cheers!
seppo
www.selfawaregames.com

EDIT: For a version of the announcement that must be read AS IF YOU WERE THE POWERTHIRST GUY:
http://www.selfawaregames.com/blog/?p=78

helava

(and just so there's less confusion, the sale's been started, but it takes a little time for Apple's servers to all update, so if it's showing up as $1.99, just wait 'till morning, and start your day off with cheap Taxiball!)

Thanks!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yo yo yo, Knights Onrush from Chillingo is up. $4.99 but it looks like it has tons of content and there's a lot more free stuff on the way in the next update (bosses!) It's a Defend Your Castle clone on steroids, looks like awesome pixel art, campaign mode with 12 castles, etc.

App store link

2v9ptnp.png

Took the bite and downloaded; it seems good so far, slick production values, the hook to hang take-out for the dragon is hilarious :lol

Twig

Banned
Kaijima said:
Yo yo yo, Knights Onrush from Chillingo is up. $4.99 but it looks like it has tons of content and there's a lot more free stuff on the way in the next update (bosses!) It's a Defend Your Castle clone on steroids, looks like awesome pixel art, campaign mode with 12 castles, etc.

App store link

http://i39.tinypic.com/2v9ptnp.png

Took the bite and downloaded; it seems good so far, slick production values, the hook to hang take-out for the dragon is hilarious :lol
Whoa, pretty.

LordGek

dream said:
God, this fucking game is SO good. With all the upgrades and leveling system, I almost want to say it's better than Geometry Wars Galaxies.

Heck yeah! Shitloads of depth and so many unlockables that you are completely free to determine how you wrok your way through it all (grab everything you can, save up for one of the ultimate ships and or modules, it's all your call).

A key aspect many folk seem to miss in this game so I might as well cover it here, remember that your CPU stat is the main determinant of how many modules and abilities you can add to your ship. So as fun as just maxing out your firepower sounds, if you want to use your wacky newly gained abilities you'll need to pump something into your CPU stat.

Real Racing has been sent to apple, we should see it up next week :D omg!

img_011.png

img_04.png

toucharcade said:
This game is unlike any racing game I've seen on the iPhone. In fact, to accurately compare it to another racing game I'd need to look to the PSP or PlayStation.

Firemint has asked that we limit ourselves to publishing hands-on first impressions until the game is released, so I really can't go in to too much detail about the game other than to say it has completely exceeded my expectations. The tilt controls of the iPhone seem to naturally translate to the motions of a steering wheel, so there is no shortage of iPhone racing games, there are just none that are as technically impressive and full featured as Real Racing.

I will make a gaf thread around the time of release, gaf deserves to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom