• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

the•rebel said:
After watching an amateur fisherman catch 5 blue fish at the beach, I have an urge to do the same.

Anyone care to recommend an in-depth fishing game?

It might not have the depth you're looking for but Fishing Kings is a fairly competent knockoff of Sega Bass Fishing.

Higgy

Does anyone have Words with Friends and Scrabble? I'm wondering if Scrabble does anything really well that Words doesn't which would make it a worthy purchase. The one thing I did notice is that it has a vs. computer mode which Words doesn't.

japtor

Higgy said:
Does anyone have Words with Friends and Scrabble? I'm wondering if Scrabble does anything really well that Words doesn't which would make it a worthy purchase. The one thing I did notice is that it has a vs. computer mode which Words doesn't.
I have some friends that have both. I don't remember the details but there was a bunch of stuff in WWF that bugged them, like the dictionary was questionable, I think the board layout isn't balanced well, and probably something about the ability to keep trying bullshit words until one works without penalizing you.

On the minus side I'm guessing it runs slower, but the main thing that kept me away has been them using Facebook as the only matchmaking setup (last I checked at least). I'll add random people online for games in game lists, but I don't want them on Facebook. My friends got around that by making fake Facebook accounts but the hell with that. They have their own online system already, use that!

hyp

"The Incident" is out today $1.99 for iPhone/iPad (Universal)

theincident01.jpg

theincident02.jpg

the_incident-dream-1024.png

Jonnyram

Lovely Salsa said:
What does everyone see in espgaluda 2? I just purchased it and I feel completely ripped off. Repetive and too easy..
Too easy? :lol
Play on a harder difficulty mode then.

And yes, The Incident is awesome.

Minsc

Gold Member
Lovely Salsa said:
I played it on Normal...I guess I can try the hardest mode but I doubt it will change the repetitiveness.

Did you play the iphone mode or arcade?

You should be doing the arcade, iphone is simpler. Also, do hard (normal disables some of the controls and puts it as a two button game instead of 4 doesn't it?), and it's not about beating it (as you get unlimited continues, so you really can't die), it's about scoring 1,000,000,000,000+ points by turning all the bullets in to coins, and the coins in to more bullets and the more bullets in to more coins and having a 50x multiplier in effect so you get a ridiculous number of points.

I haven't made it very far myself, and was similarly disappointed, but for a lack of shop/world map, but that's what I've learned from reading about it.

japtor

To be fair if you aren't going for score and ultimately not getting the rank up, then it's actually not too hard to 1CC (on normal, haven't tried playing for completion on hard).

the-iek said:
Blatant rip off, but still a good game. Some of the minigames are really annoying though.

Yeah they are! I am still stuck on the "flight control" one, I was never good at Flight Control, so this one has put the game on a grinding halt for me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Acheteedo said:
Does it have tutorials? I've been considering picking this up for some time, but I gather the game rules are quite complex.
Carcassonne is about as complex as dominoes. The only slightly confusing rule is farming but it's easy to pick up how it works after a round or two.

hyp

cabel said:
Hey, I came in here to tell you guys about The Incident, but you found it already. Awesome!

If you have any questions about it, let me know!
did you help develop it? it's a great game. the soundtrack is worth buying it alone!

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
PikPok is giving away a bunch of promo codes for Bird Strike Gold Edition on TouchArcade here. Version 1.5 update was released for it a couple of days ago too.

Retina upgrade plus iOS4 fixes update for Flick Kick Football being submitted in the next couple of days.

cabel

hyp said:
did you help develop it? it's a great game. the soundtrack is worth buying it alone!

Yay! I made that soundtrack!

I'm really happy to hear you liked it. It was my first crack at using Famitracker for that authentic NES sound. I only wish I had more time to write more -- one for each level would be the dream, but man it's hard to find time -- but there is at least an epic piece of music during the end sequence that'll make finishing it worthwhile, I hope!

hyp

cabel said:
Well, I made the soundtrack!

I'm really happy to hear you liked it. It was my first crack at using Famitracker for that authentic NES sound. I only wish I had more time to write more (one for each level would be the dream, but man it's hard to find time), but there is at least an epic piece during the end sequence that'll make finishing it worthwhile!
you're my hero dude. awesome chip tunes!

Reese-015

Wow, just finished Twin Blades. Last boss was awesomely challenging and very satisfying. Ending was simple but cool. Might keep playing the 'open world' now to up my score or try the game on 'hard' (shit that must be hard).

bedlamite

Big pricedrops on iD software's iPhone games in honor of Quakecon:

Doom Classic $6.99 -> $1.99
Doom Resurrection $6.99 -> $1.99
Doom II RPG $3.99 -> $.99

Jonnyram

Loads of Square Enix games are on sale to celebrate the launch of Chaos Rings for iPad.
Not great reductions, but still not bad if you've been holding out.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
^ Wolfenstein as well (59p / 99c)

The Incident is incredible. I keep saving screenshots of the ridiculous shit I die from. Death by Midcentury-Modern Door is a firm favourite.

Jonnyram said:
Loads of Square Enix games are on sale to celebrate the launch of Chaos Rings for iPad.
Not great reductions, but still not bad if you've been holding out.
Sliding Heroes is free, Chaos Rings is 9.99 and Song Summoner is half price at 4.99. Seem like the best deals, everything else is a dollar or two off at most.

SmokyDave

The id sale got me excited. Ended up grabbing Doom, Doom 2 RPG, Doom Resurrection and Wolfenstein.

Sadly, I also got excited and bought Duke Nukem 3D. The controls are just crap. Slider or stick, they're crap. I know FPS ain't easy on the iPhone (although NOVA with gyroscope controls is awesome) but Duke is even worse than normal.

Oh well, I didn't want a can of coke today anyway so no money lost.

Minsc

Gold Member
toythatkills said:
Sliding Heroes is free, Chaos Rings is 9.99 and Song Summoner is half price at 4.99. Seem like the best deals, everything else is a dollar or two off at most.

Song Summoner is awesome, pick it up if you've been waiting for a sale, you won't regret it!

The FF's and Tower Defense games are a little more bearable at $7 than $9, but it would have been nice to see those drop to $5 as well.

I'm finding Chaos Rings to be a little bland (great engine though), but I'm only a few hours in, maybe it picks up a little later on.

Minsc

Gold Member
Frankfurt said:
It does get quite a bit better.

My problem is mainly with the auto-HP regen, the combat seems trivial. I mean, I know from the start I win, and there's no real need for mixing anything up with spells since there no consequence to taking damage, just pick paired attacks, kill the enemy, and get 1/10th of my level's XP (which there's no fun leveling mechanism either, so that's kinda lame).

Hopefully it gets 100% dependent on magic/genes later on, because being able to not cast spells and still dominate every battle destroys the balance of the combat, there's no consequence to taking damage since it is all auto-healed. Would be great if that went away later.

The graphics and pre-rendered backgrounds with effects overlaid on them are amazing though, and the puzzles are enjoyable, probably the most challenging thing of the game so far.

Not sure why they had to rename all their standard items either, I much prefer the potion/ether/tent naming scheme, now there's chocolate and white chocolate and other non-sense! The elementals are a little confusing too, and using identify on enemies isn't permanent which is annoying too.

What's the point of the levels 1-10, 11-20, 21-30 when you pick a stage? I missed out on the explanation, but I guess there is hope, since I picked a 21-30 now that I remember, and got slaughtered in the first fight! :lol

I'm very happy I have the means to try games like the Incident before I buy them.

Concept, artwork and presentation are great but as soon as a game uses tilt controls, I'm out. The only one I forgive is Tilt to Lie, but even that I'm not a massive fan of.

Debating whether to get the iPhone or iPad version of Chaos Rings. 9.99 seems like the perfect price while $15.99 seems a little steep even for an iPad game.

SmokyDave

Brewster's Wallet said:
I'm very happy I have the means to try games like the Incident before I buy them.

Concept, artwork and presentation are great but as soon as a game uses tilt controls, I'm out. The only one I forgive is Tilt to Lie, but even that I'm not a massive fan of.
Heaven forbid you waste £1.19!

There's no lite version on the UK store and I'm loving the screenshots above so I took a punt on it. Must resist temptation to try it until after work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom