• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any games in a similar vein to Every Extend on the iPhone? Specifically the original, where you could actually die (e4 ruined the gameplay by making you nearly invincible). Any suggestions would be welcome!

Also, how is song summoner? Will it look good on the retina display?

AstroLad said:
just found out tonight on the plane that you can't even play words with friends locally against a friend if you don't have a connection. for as hard as it is to fuck up scrabble, words with friends really impresses with its effort. pretty confused as to all the love it gets

Did you do the Pass and Play?

Minsc

Gold Member
catapult37 said:
Are there any games in a similar vein to Every Extend on the iPhone? Specifically the original, where you could actually die (e4 ruined the gameplay by making you nearly invincible). Any suggestions would be welcome!

From what I've played (just a few hours) I love the style of the game and it looks amazing, whether it's optimized for the display or not (I actually don't think it is), it looks great. I don't really notice the pixels in the game, unless i'm really closely looking at the text or something. Grab it while it's on sale for sure, if you like sRPGs.

Dark Nebula kinda reminds me of Kirby: Tilt 'n' Tumble, at least more so than any other tilt-controlled game I've played from the App Store so far. They're both top-down, tilt-controlled platformers with actual level design.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
If anyone is interested, I just finished the first gameplay trailer for my upcoming iPhone game "Wispin". You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWFe4D-tnQ&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Worked hard on it and was excited to share with GAF, so I hope you guys like it. Also, some new artwork!:

Wispin_Artwork.jpg

Minsc said:
Here are the stand outs as I see them:

Plants vs Zombies - Even without the MJ zombie, it still is amazing, and extremely fun.

Defender Chronicles - SOOOOO much content. There's like 200 hours of gameplay here if you enjoy grinding the high-level RPG content out, and a good 20 even if you don't. Visually gorgeous fantasy themed with tons of units at once (probably most of any TD game ever). Good sound/music as well.

GeoDefense (& swarm) - Very pretty, prefer the original because of the more unique gameplay than swarm, but TD has never looked so nice in space.

Elemental Monster TD - Mixes a lite-CCG aspect in to the game, another huge looking game.

Towers in Space - Another huge amount of content here, extremely awful VA aside, you have a very component TD game here, with 50+ types of creeps, and for the price I picked it up for (free), it's way surpassed my expectations.

Crystal Defenders - Squaresoft Final Fantasy TD, guess if you're a fan of FF, seeing the little enemies running by your screen may hold enough charm to push this up in to the consider category. Expensive though :(

Other not-so-worthy but still mentionable titles: 7 Cities (boat TD), Garden War (garden TD), Fieldrunners (original iPhone TD hit), Creeps (nightmares attacking your bed TD).

Awesome, great list. I'll be sure to check it out when I get home tonight. There was this one TD game on Armor games that had 3 basic units (grass, fire, ice) that I wish was ported to the iPod so much, but I'll be sure to check these out! :D

MrCheez said:
If anyone is interested, I just finished the first gameplay trailer for my upcoming iPhone game "Wispin". You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWF...re to watch this when I get back from work :)

th3dude

MrCheez said:
Thanks so much for the kind words, guys!

Myself and a small team of (very talented) industry friends. Our startup is called Grumpyface Studios :)

Very nice! I very much aspire to do something like this myself.

Any tips/links/advice to get started in iPhone dev? I'm a Java dev by day, if that helps. PM me if we shouldn't clutter this thread :D

japtor

sn1pes said:
Very nice! I very much aspire to do something like this myself.

Any tips/links/advice to get started in iPhone dev? I'm a Java dev by day, if that helps. PM me if we shouldn't clutter this thread :D
Probably the getting started/introduction stuff on http://developer.apple.com/iphone/
Maybe this one in particular: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/l...GettingStarted/Learning_Objective-C_A_Primer/
Otherwise there's a bunch of Obj-C, Cocoa, and iPhone dev books out there, and probably a bunch of other free resources online.

I've heard if you know Java, learning Obj-C isn't too hard but ymmv.

Diglet

Neo Member
I havent found much on objective-c online. Your best bet is books. I find the syntax really annoying. I gave up :lol Ill try again eventually.

Anyway I have been playing Angry Birds and im stuck on the train level, forgot which one exactly. Any tips?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
japtor said:
I've heard if you know Java, learning Obj-C isn't too hard but ymmv.
Gotta watch out for memory management though (retain/release and malloc/free have no place in Java).
Diglet said:
I havent found much on objective-c online. Your best bet is books. I find the syntax really annoying. I gave up :lol Ill try again eventually.
You can mix C and C++ in, if that's more your thing. That way, you only need an ObjC frame.

Isn't fun though. Objective C is pretty cool, actually!

Edit: And there's shittons of tutorials and stuff online. Problem is though that they're usually sub-par. Best bet is to learn the language with background in at least one other language, like japtor indicated.

Sorry to repeat myself, but my question got pushed to the previous page. If anyone knows of any good iPhone games similar to every extend, that would be sweet. Thanks!

Diglet

Neo Member
wmat said:
Gotta watch out for memory management though (retain/release and malloc/free have no place in Java).

You can mix C and C++ in, if that's more your thing. That way, you only need an ObjC frame.

Isn't fun though. Objective C is pretty cool, actually!

Edit: And there's shittons of tutorials and stuff online. Problem is though that they're usually sub-par. Best bet is to learn the language with background in at least one other language, like japtor indicated.

Yeah, cocoa dev central exists. The stuff on it isnt that helpful. I may just go to lynda.com.
Its on hold though because im learning AS3 now :D

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
butzopower said:
Not sure if these links still work, but Stanford shared the resources (videos of lectures, projects, etc) from their iPhone class: http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs193p/cgi-bin/drupal/downloads-2010-winter
These are also pretty good for introductory material. I forgot all about them! If you're not an API-reading self-learner, this should bring you up to speed real fast. Like, in a couple of weeks.

Don't dismiss the potential overhead of learning the OpenGL and OpenAL APIs though, that's usually part of the deal if you're making a game.

xbhaskarx

I just played Guns'n'Glory, a new tower defense game that is set in the wild west. It's a bit expensive at $3 but I really enjoyed it.
Your towers are bandits that kill pioneers :lol and they are not stationary, you can move them around at any time. There are crates you can pick up, and later your units can even be upgraded, although not from the beginning for some reason. Tower defense fans should check it out.

asdad123

Soooo I know this has happened like 10290491 times already, but I'm ready to start putting my Iphone to good use.

What are the must have games and apps to download? Running a jailbroken Iphone 4

SmokyDave said:
There's a few Kenta Cho / ABA games shooters up. 2 versions of Rrootage, Tumiki Fighters and Noiz2SA off the top of my head. Definitely need more though.
for anyone wondering: tumiki fighters looks like it's been removed from the u.s. app store?

there's a free app called tumiki training night. it's TF, but a lite version. when you click "buy full game" a broken itunes link comes up.

searching itunes comes up empty as well :/

you think the publisher of the wii version forced all the u.s. apps to be removed?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
catapult37 said:

That'd be awesome. Sounds like my next iPhone project.

Ninja Dom

Great news from Cave!!

Well, you know we wanted to have “Dodonpachi Resurrection” out by the CAVE Matsuri date….but after some trial and error and applying some final touches, the release date was delayed a little bit, sorry. I know that our fans are looking forward to this release and I think “Resurrection” will live up to your expectations. We’ve already submitted the game to Apple, so really this time, “just a little bit longer!”

Some people may already be aware of this, but we also have another title in the works. It’s about hmm…60% complete I’d say. We’re going to push through the summer heat and work hard on this one! I think we’re going to be able to let you know about this new game at the same time as the release of “Dodonpachi Resurrection”, so stay tuned!

SmokyDave

Ninja Dom said:
Great news from Cave!!
Oh god YES. I hope the other title is Dangun Feveron but I'll take whatever they give me.

Bought Pinball HD yesterday. It's okay. I'm no pinball expert by any means but from what I can tell the ball physics are good, the graphics & sound are nice and it runs smooth as silk on the iphone 4. Good for quick blasts on the go.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
hmm in this time and age is it worth it to get a cheap iphone 3G for gaming? mobile company is offering me one really cheap (no they dont have 3GS o 4), also I have an iPod touch 3g

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
dgenx said:
hmm in this time and age is it worth it to get a cheap iphone 3G for gaming? mobile company is offering me one really cheap (no they dont have 3GS o 4), also I have an iPod touch 3g
I'd recommend going with a 3GS at least, the performance difference is significant.

Acheteedo

Has anyone played an RPG that uses the iphone interface properly? By that I mean it DOES NOT use an on screen d-pad and buttons, so I guess for instance you would click on places in the overworld where you want your character to go.

I just bought Zenonia and was cripplingly disappointed to find out that it's a mess trying to move around. That'll teach me to not try out the demo first.

Jonnyram

Acheteedo said:
Has anyone played an RPG that uses the iphone interface properly? By that I mean it DOES NOT use an on screen d-pad and buttons, so I guess for instance you would click on places in the overworld where you want your character to go.
Yeah, Crimson Gem Saga :lol
Just kidding. It's pretty hellish, but the game's not bad.

Minsc

Gold Member
Acheteedo said:

I just bought Zenonia and was cripplingly disappointed to find out that it's a mess trying to move around. That'll teach me to not try out the demo first.

Chaos Rings does it properly, and it uses an analog stick that appears wherever you press on the screen, with a single button only active when you need to activate something. It's a slower paced RPG, not real-time, but moving around is perfect. I imagine that style of control would also translate much better to Zenonia and other games, since, well, it is significantly more precise.

Other than that, a lot of good games use the dpad, just takes some getting used too. Across Age is similar to Zenonia, but more Zelda-like, and well regarded, you just need to use short taps when you need a precise movement.

xbhaskarx said:
I just played Guns'n'Glory, a new tower defense game that is set in the wild west. It's a bit expensive at $3 but I really enjoyed it.
Your towers are bandits that kill pioneers :lol and they are not stationary, you can move them around at any time. There are crates you can pick up, and later your units can even be upgraded, although not from the beginning for some reason. Tower defense fans should check it out.

Thanks for the info. Love TD games <3.

Another new entry to check out a little cheaper $1, is Save Sylva, it's actually visually close to PJ Monters, and is supposedly VERY HARD, which makes it fun. Played the first two worlds on easy, and well they were easy, but the review said it's impossibly hard on higher settings.

The unique thing about this one is it is more laid back and has a TON of upgrades. There's only 4 tower types, so that's nice, but there's 18 upgrades for each tower, so you have a lot of choice over how to create your towers. Waves are entirely separate so far, and don't start the next one until they are cleared, and it is very easy just to upgrade between waves, so it's not too hectic.

Very fun and worth checking out imo.

Also GeoDefense got upgraded to support Retina display, but I don't notice any difference, heh.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Solipskier is my new favorite iPhone game. Absolutely worth the 3 bucks, if you take the time to learn how the scoring system works.

I'm on the leaderboards in 33rd place with a score of roughly 187million. I'm in 6th place in best jump. :)

It's awesome. Get it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dacvak said:
Solipskier is my new favorite iPhone game. Absolutely worth the 3 bucks, if you take the time to learn how the scoring system works.

I'm on the leaderboards in 33rd place with a score of roughly 187million. I'm in 6th place in best jump. :)

It's awesome. Get it.
Not only is it a blast to play, but it runs at a silky smooth 60 fps with a neat blur effect on the background. Also supports the iPhone4 and iPad displays properly. Impressive!

burgerdog

dgenx said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the iPod touch G3 an iPhone 3GS tech-wise? Also, why would you want something as sluggish as a 3G iPhone when you have a third gen touch?

Echoes

EpicWin is rolling out to appstores. NZ got it first it seems. File size is 11MB, so happy for that since I'm staying at the hospital for a couple more days but will be able to download it via 3G.

Zachack

Acheteedo said:

The iPhone interface that you're describing isn't suited for most types of RPGs. Sword of Fargoal doesn't have a d-pad, but plays like it may as well; the other rogue-likes I've played were the same. Wolfenstien RPG has a d-pad. Undercroft has an interface which is basically a d-pad.

The closest I can think of is TNA Wrestling, which is closer to a (hilarious) choose-your-own-adventure with stat-based fights and various gesture actions for more powerful moves. But it doesn't have any "traditional" RPG movement. RPGs are almost by definition stat-based to some extent, and that tends to exert a strong push towards at least moderately-controlled/defined movement.

That said, if what you really want is an RPG that isn't a mess like Zenonia, then the ones I listed are decent options. Undercroft and Wolfenstein play more or less like Eye of the Beholder or Wizardry. Fargoal is a good rogue clone. TNA Wrestling is fun (and I don't watch wrestling, it's just bizarrely funny).

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
burgerdog said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the iPod touch G3 an iPhone 3GS tech-wise? Also, why would you want something as sluggish as a 3G iPhone when you have a third gen touch?
The 3rd generation iPod Touch is as powerful as an iPhone 3GS, hence it's nicknamed "iPod Touch 3GS". That isn't what the product is actually named though.
Rule of thumb: If you go into an Apple Store and buy an iPod Touch with less than 32GB storage capacity, you've got a 2nd generation iPod Touch, which is significantly less powerful. If you buy an iPod Touch with 32GB capacity or more, then you've got a 3rd generation iPod Touch because the 2nd generation iPod Touch with 32GB capacity has been replaced with this one.
If you buy an iPod Touch with 64GB capacity, it is always 3rd gen, even if it's used because that's the only iPod Touch with that capacity.

The 3rd gen iPod Touch has a faster processor, a faster graphics component with more capabilities and more RAM.

Shaneus

Jonnyram said:
EPICWIN is pure win :)
Set myself a few tasks for today. Not far off my first waypoint.
Same! The instructional tasks are a good way of kicking off the game and getting you started. I'm about to go for my lunchtime walk! Stamina, 100 points :D

Dacvak

Epic Win isn't in the US store yet. At least not for me.

In other news, I formally challenge ALL OF GAF to try and beat my Solipskier score of 256,000,000. Currently number 16 on the leaderboards.

Also, now's as good a time as any to request friend invites on OpenFeint. Is there an OpenFeint thread anywhere?

Dacvak

EpicWin is up in the US.

It's pretty cool so far, but I definitely expected more.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Dacvak said:
EpicWin is up in the US.

It's pretty cool so far, but I definitely expected more.
I agree. Just bought it blindly. The first thing they need to implement next is a desktop TODO list editor, or a webapp. That is the very least.

Maybe I'll turn around after using it for a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom