• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
HalfbrickPhil said:
Hey guys, I'm super excited to announce our new game here (many of you have already picked up that it's out). After Fruit Ninja we wanted to do something a little bit more game-y, and added our spin of innovation on an established genre to come up with Monster Dash. It's a playground for our creativity and super easy to update with new level, weapons, monsters and more!

I hope you guys enjoy it!

iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/monster-dash/id370070561?mt=8

Website (including trailer): http://www.monsterdashgame.com

Just bought it, 59p it would be rude not too. Works great on the ipad on x2

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Damnit, every time I see this thread bumped I hope it's because Dodonpachi was approved (they submitted it to Apple a few days ago)

OMG Aero

I'm surprised that a lot of people are complaining about Epic Win not having sound effects but hardly anyone has mentioned the fact that you can't listen to music while using it. If you are, the app stops the music and you can't resume until you leave the app.
That's a much bigger issue for me.

.la1n

HalfbrickPhil said:
Hey guys, I'm super excited to announce our new game here (many of you have already picked up that it's out). After Fruit Ninja we wanted to do something a little bit more game-y, and added our spin of innovation on an established genre to come up with Monster Dash. It's a playground for our creativity and super easy to update with new level, weapons, monsters and more!

don't suppose you guys ever got around to updating the fruit ninja icon to where it doesn't look like ass on the retina display?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
OMG Aero said:
I'm surprised that a lot of people are complaining about Epic Win not having sound effects but hardly anyone has mentioned the fact that you can't listen to music while using it. If you are, the app stops the music and you can't resume until you leave the app.
That's a much bigger issue for me.
dunno if it helps you, but using the iphone headphones play/pause button it works fine for me (i have 3p headphones but they have those controls too)

Gowans

In Monster Dash they are total sons of bitches with the hearts, teasing you to jump for them and then you realise your gone end up falling off a cliff.

I'm 3434 at the mo, in top five on my friends leaderboard. Bring it! I'm going for #1 ;)

Fusebox

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
I just played Guns'n'Glory, a new tower defense game that is set in the wild west. It's a bit expensive at $3 but I really enjoyed it.
Your towers are bandits that kill pioneers :lol and they are not stationary, you can move them around at any time. There are crates you can pick up, and later your units can even be upgraded, although not from the beginning for some reason. Tower defense fans should check it out.

I just read this is actually a universal app, so checking it out now!

SickBoy

I can't stand it when developers don't put at least one "full frame" screenshot of their game in the app store, instead choosing to put crud/borders/type around all of them.

Really reduces my chance of buying.

Most recently, I'm looking at you, Halfbrick!

Aaron

I'm enjoying Monster Dash right now, but I REALLY HATE how falling off a cliff is instant death no matter how many hearts you have left. The lack of true buttons makes me a little jumpy, and and I have missed jumps that aren't really my fault. I never get very far because of this, and so it's probably a game I'll give up on in frustration.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Soul_Bubbles_HD.png

*Climaxes*

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
McBacon said:
http://www.pockett.net/jeu_video/iPhone/Eurocenter/Soul_Bubbles/Soul_Bubbles_HD.png[IMG]

[URL="http://www.pockett.net/n7708_iPhone_Soul_Bubbles_arrive_sur_iPhone_et_iPad_dans_quelques_semaines"]*Climaxes*[/URL][/QUOTE]
Retina and iPad support, out in October. Hell yea. :D

X-Frame

I wish I waited to buy EpicWin - it's pretty useless now. It's a super-basic ToDo and half a game.

Hopefully they have big plans to expand both areas.

Minsc

Gold Member
X-Frame said:
I wish I waited to buy EpicWin - it's pretty useless now. It's a super-basic ToDo and half a game.

Hopefully they have big plans to expand both areas.

Their website says they have lots of plans to expand it. I think a tell-tale sign with this stuff is if we see the app updated weekly or at least every month, or semi-annually.

I personally feel from what I've read, there's so much missing from the app they could update it daily for the next 365 days and basically just be about where it should ultimately be. I'm hoping they have big plans.

I want to see the game portion expanded and the task portion on par with the better task apps. See 100x more unlockable things, see dungeons with monsters and bosses with unique random gear that you need to gain levels and progress through by completing tasks, hell they could put factions in and have a global sense of community somehow, and maybe an arena to play games out, and throw some politics/sides at conflict in the mix too. They could have special hardcore tasks, that are pre-valued and already made up, with cooldown timers so you can't cheat (for stuff like exercising, weeding, or any other really troublesome task that takes considerable time), that earn you a different currency to buy unique stuff with.

I get the feeling the game's at like 1/100th of it's potential, and hope that if they don't pick up the ball in a timely fashion, someone else does. Because there's definitely a large amount of money to be made by this kinda app.

BKXB

Economist
Hi GAF,

Any recommendations on games for kids? I have a 4 year old and 2 year old niece/nephew, so I'm looking for pretty basic games.

Benedict

Monkey Preschool LunchBox
Giraffes PreSchool Playground

The Paint App: Kids Paint + was free yesterday, might still be free.

Edit: I'm a bit surprised that the Dora DS games and similar have not been released on the iPhone/Touch. Would be a perfect fit. And it seems that there are quite a lot of younger kids who play on their parents iPhones.

We'll see a new generation of gamers whose first gaming experience will be the iPhone.

xbhaskarx said:
How is it?

pretty fun, not all that deep. Pretty arcadey (you get "special" shots, controls are fairly dumbed down). It's very fast paced.

Made by the same folks who brought you BaseBall Superstars (also a good series).

worth the $1, IMO

Sh0k

Just added Gowans007 and SmokyDave to my Openfeint account.

Currently at 4166m in Monster Dash

Openfeint : Choclito

I'm hooked in Archetype, can't stop playing it!

My only complaint is that the map time is too short, the game ends too quickly and they need to fix the controls (not a big problem tho)

Are there any more online shooters like this?

Epic Win is a huge disappointment for me. It seems like they squandered all the humor and personality on their pre-launch trailer. As it is, it's a semi-functional to-do list and not much else. Also I think it's hard to use, my chores are getting all screwed up- things I marked for every day aren't coming up anymore, and completed chores are showing up as overdue.

This thing really needs some patching.

Did I miss someone mention Zombie Escape? I just downloaded it this morning: it's a path drawing game in which you rescue people from zombies. The twists (for me anyway): power-ups to kill or distract the zombies; rescue points move (helicopters land, fill up, take off); and different sorts of zombies (just getting to them). It's $0.99.

Aaron

BKXB said:
Hi GAF,

Any recommendations on games for kids? I have a 4 year old and 2 year old niece/nephew, so I'm looking for pretty basic games.
Tozzle, Balloonimals, Quizzing, Hatch!, and Make Princess (for girls) are all good games for young kids in that age range.

japtor

Benedict said:
Monkey Preschool LunchBox
Giraffes PreSchool Playground

The Paint App: Kids Paint + was free yesterday, might still be free.

Edit: I'm a bit surprised that the Dora DS games and similar have not been released on the iPhone/Touch. Would be a perfect fit. And it seems that there are quite a lot of younger kids who play on their parents iPhones.

We'll see a new generation of gamers whose first gaming experience will be the iPhone.
Seconding the Giraffes stuff, my nephew and niece played the free matching one a bunch. As for Dora and the other big name kids stuff, maybe money or contractual stuff.
Neuromancer said:
Epic Win is a huge disappointment for me. It seems like they squandered all the humor and personality on their pre-launch trailer. As it is, it's a semi-functional to-do list and not much else. Also I think it's hard to use, my chores are getting all screwed up- things I marked for every day aren't coming up anymore, and completed chores are showing up as overdue.

This thing really needs some patching.
I was going to get it but some of the stuff just seemed half assed. The main things I'd want are calendar integration and automatic point assignments. Seems a bit pointless for the 'game' element if you can just assign points yourself, and just an extra inconvenience when entering in tasks.

yophlow

Banned
I'll basically just post what I posted on Touch Arcade, as it still definitely represents our current situation!

We just reached an achievement that really hits home. Monster Dash is now the #1 paid app of any kind in the Australian store. It's something we always wanted to do - obviously we don't make nearly as much as other markets, but to be recognised as the best in our home country really means a lot. We've been at #2 pretty much since Fruit Ninja was released, never overtaking Angry Birds. Monster Dash took us to the line!

To celebrate, we've been drinking awesome German beer and eating roast pork. It's amazing.

We have a lot of respect for Angry Birds, just very glad to see Monster Dash at #1, at least for now.

Current ranks in all paid apps:

#1 in Australia (Fruit Ninja #3)
#1 in Peru
#1 in Russia
#2 in USA (Fruit Ninja #6)
#2 in UK (Fruit Ninja #7)
#2 in Canada (Fruit Ninja #9)
#2 in Sweden

We are eternally grateful for everyone's support. All we want to do is make awesome games and have players all over the world, and thankfully we have now achieved that. You guys rock!

burgerdog

HalfbrickPhil said:
I'll basically just post what I posted on Touch Arcade, as it still definitely represents our current situation!

We just reached an achievement that really hits home. Monster Dash is now the #1 paid app of any kind in the Australian store. It's something we always wanted to do - obviously we don't make nearly as much as other markets, but to be recognised as the best in our home country really means a lot. We've been at #2 pretty much since Fruit Ninja was released, never overtaking Angry Birds. Monster Dash took us to the line!

To celebrate, we've been drinking awesome German beer and eating roast pork. It's amazing.

We have a lot of respect for Angry Birds, just very glad to see Monster Dash at #1, at least for now.

#1 in Peru
#1 in Russia
#2 in Sweden

We are eternally grateful for everyone's support. All we want to do is make awesome games and have players all over the world, and thankfully we have now achieved that. You guys rock!
Love the game, only complaint is no retina display resolution given that it's a new app. Are you guys thinking about adding it?

HalfbrickPhil said:

#1 in Peru
#1 in Russia
#2 in Sweden

That is impressive. You give new developers hope.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
cjelly said:
Flick Kick Football/Soccer update is out.

Universal for iPad and Retina support. :)

Also has some enhancements to Practise Mode so you can practise the last Arcade Mode shot you failed, and can also shuffle defenders.

Not sure what I think of Monster Dash yet. I like the idea but the jump is way too high and I sort of feel like the spikes don't hurt me. I never got hit by them but I think I ran into them. Also, it would be nice to slow it down some. I kind of zoned out on all the detail and just jumped and shot my way through. A game like Canabalt has that frantic look to it but I would be fine if this game was a tad slower. Still a fun game though. Recommend it for .99

HalfbrickPhil said:

#1 in Peru
#1 in Russia
#2 in Sweden

Phil, so you guys might be bringing Age of Zombies to iPhone/iPod Touch? While it would be interesting to see how the controls turn out, I definitely enjoyed it on PSP and would happily double dip.

yophlow

Banned
Shaneus said:
Congrats, Phil! As some kind of reward, any chance we could get some Fruit Ninja/Monster Dash wallpapers?

Yeah, I've been meaning to get to that - I'd say expect some next week. I'll get a full package for both Fruit Ninja and Monster Dash. We're also launching a brand new Halfbrick website sometime next week, so I'd say I can just set up a direct download to the files from there!

Rahk

Pretty much everything has been said.

Epic Win is disappointing for the price, but it has heaps of potential, so hopefully they update it. I'll still use it either way.

Monster Dash is awesome and a must buy.

Rahk said:
Pretty much everything has been said.

Epic Win is disappointing for the price, but it has heaps of potential, so hopefully they update it. I'll still use it either way.
Supposedly the creator already has a patch in to Apple for certification, not sure what issues it'll fix though.

Dragnet

animlboogy said:
Anybody else having crashing issues with EpicWin? It goes to the splash screen and pops back to the springboard for me.

I had that, had to delete then re-install. it was fine after that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
animlboogy said:
Anybody else having crashing issues with EpicWin? It goes to the splash screen and pops back to the springboard for me.
Weird I'm getting this too now even though it worked fine for days.

If you delete does it keep your data?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
animlboogy said:
I deleted it from the phone and re-downloaded, which did not save my progress. If you aren't impatient and you take it off your phone, then put it back on, maybe that will work just as well? I only lost one day. I wouldn't want that to happen again, though, with how slow leveling is.
gaah so i'll lose all the tasks i've already created too? :/

Psy-Phi

BKXB said:
Hi GAF,

My cousins youngsters (about the same age as the two you're talkin, 5 and 3, the older one's a boy.

Pig Rush
Leap Sheep
Sneezies
Mr. AahH!

Also, not a game, but an absolute riot for the kids is Smack Talk, a voice modulator with cutesy animals representing default sounds. Like a gerbil, chihuahua, kitten, etc...

None of those games, besides Smack Talk, are of the level the 3yo can really grasp. But she enjoys them all the same because she doesn't care if she loses. It's best to sit there with her and play though. The 5yo is good at Pig Rush and Mr. AahH, Sneezies is too "kiddy" for him he says :p

I believe Alphabetic may still be free, it's not an app that I've been able to get the 5yo to get into, but it seems perfect for someone just starting Kindergarten. Hopefully the next time I see him, he'll be more enthusiastic about it. It's a pretty simple game, you just have to tap the correct letter in order, but they're flying about the screen in different patterns and sizes.

Minsc

Gold Member
Neuromancer said:
Supposedly the creator already has a patch in to Apple for certification, not sure what issues it'll fix though.

EpicWin said:
Hi guys! The Update is now with Apple. Again, this FIXES THE CRASH on startup for some people. Other fixes inc. Basic SFX, iPod Music Playing, Fixed Text In Magnifying Glass, Attribute XP graphical progress, locked loot descriptions, Twitter login fiddle + some bits & bobs ;)
Also Thanks for all the great feedback. I've now got a great... idea of next steps to improve this! (repeats & new page for completed tasks)

Really just a minor update imo, but given it was submitted like the day after the app was released, I guess you can only expect so much. He needs to be doing like weekly updates to get this program in order.

He confirmed retina display support is on the to-do list as well.

Ryuukan

The FirstWords apps from Learning Touch are great for young kids. My 2 year old loves it in between ocarina and kidspaint sessions.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone give this a whirl? Reiner Knizia's Samurai, a pretty classic designer board game (I haven't played it before though). Five bucks for now but has some really cool features so I'm going to give it a whirl:
Description
==============
WELCOME
==============

It's a time of strife in feudal Japan and you dream of one day becoming Shogun and eventually Emperor.

Your goal is to gain the most influence from the 3 major castes: the Samurai, the Clergy, and the Peasant in this popular turn-based strategy game designed by award-winning game designer, Reiner Knizia.

==============
FEATURES (1.0)
==============

- Battle against the AI.

- Pass n Play with your friends.

- Internet multiplayer with Push Notifications.

- Full featured online profiles with ELO ratings, global ranking, achievement levels, and game statistics.

- In-depth tutorial.

==============
FAQ
==============

How about iPad?

Soon after the iPhone/iPod release, Samurai will be a universal app with native iPad support.
mzl.elrvcauz.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.mlfgibhb.320x480-75.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom