• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnyram

Gah, they have to fix the multi-tasking settings on iOS4. It should be like notifications where you can enable/disable it per app. There are some apps which I simply don't want to leave in memory, ever. If I'm not careful, sometimes I end up with 30-40 apps open :(

dream

Jonnyram said:
Gah, they have to fix the multi-tasking settings on iOS4. It should be like notifications where you can enable/disable it per app. There are some apps which I simply don't want to leave in memory, ever. If I'm not careful, sometimes I end up with 30-40 apps open :(

Why is that a problem?

(and you probably don't have 40 apps in memory)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
App states are serialized onto disk. RAM remains are the exception, an example being background music playback. So the upper bound is your free disk space, not your RAM.

However, I completely agree with the sentiment. Probably a neat app idea! I'm sure someone's already done it, if it's possible to kill apps from other apps, that is (haven't checked yet).

Edit: The best of both worlds would be an in-app configuration option for not backgrounding when the Home button is pressed (or whatever that thing is called). I'm gonna keep that in mind!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Jonnyram said:
Main reason behind my jailbreaking.
Backgrounder + Remove Recents + MultiFl0w = BLISS
On top of that, a quick swipe will bring up SBSettings, which has the Processes command that allows me to mass-kill resident apps and has a button for freeing up RAM.

LCfiner

Jonnyram said:

No, the apps in the tray aren't open. you don't have 40 apps eating resources. the tray is just a recently used list of apps. that's it.

iOS will dump out the memory cache of the least recently used app. You don't need to do it ourself.

The apps can't actually DO anything in the background except for playing audio, running GPS, running a VOIP call or completing a short task initiated by the user before quitting.

you're over thinking it. really.

The only reason you would want to "kill" an app from the tray is if you want it to reset to the default "first run" state. but that's not exactly what most people want as the default, which is why it's an option.

Jonnyram

LCfiner said:
The apps can't actually DO anything in the background except for playing audio, running GPS, running a VOIP call or completing a short task initiated by the user before quitting.
Yes, I am overthinking it somewhat, but the examples you listed, particularly GPS and VOIP, drain the battery a lot. Music's not such a big deal. FWIW, sometimes I don't notice the massive battery consumptions and other times I do. It's one of those mysterious iPhone things, I guess.

dream

Jonnyram said:
Some of them drain CPU, I think.

I have 23 right now and I killed a bunch earlier today.

Are you counting the icons in the task switcher tray? Or are you using something like SBSettings to list your active apps?

Minsc

Gold Member
LCfiner said:
No, the apps in the tray aren't open. you don't have 40 apps eating resources. the tray is just a recently used list of apps. that's it.

iOS will dump out the memory cache of the least recently used app. You don't need to do it ourself.

you're over thinking it. really.

The only reason you would want to "kill" an app from the tray is if you want it to reset to the default "first run" state. but that's not exactly what most people want as the default, which is why it's an option.

Either Rock Band or Guitar Hero has given me in game warnings of "low memory" before, and was not able to initialize the play field for the song. Then I proceeded to close out 3/4s of the recently used apps and it works fine.

So now I usually just close games after I'm done with them.

LCfiner

Jonnyram said:
Yes, I am overthinking it somewhat, but the examples you listed, particularly GPS and VOIP, drain the battery a lot. Music's not such a big deal. FWIW, sometimes I don't notice the massive battery consumptions and other times I do. It's one of those mysterious iPhone things, I guess.

the difference is that you KNOW about the VOIP or GPS or music playing apps taking up resources because you SEE the icons or you're on a call and you know that it's active. there's no added mental gymnastics needed to keep track of those things since you'd be actively using them while they're in the background.

worrying about all the other apps in the task tray is going to get you pretty much nothing in return but white hairs.

Minsc

Gold Member
Forgot to post earlier TowerMadness is free today, was heavily recommended earlier in this thread. It's an older TD game (with over 20,000 ratings).

Free + in-app purchasing seems to be the rage these days (this game being no exception), I was skeptical buying it before since there were so few maps (and TD games where you have to create the path with towers I find less enjoyable), but I'll check it out now.

japtor

Mejilan said:
Is there an app (official or otherwise) that allows one to periodically (say on a monthly) basis wipe my iPhone's usage stats?

BiteSMS allows us to reset our SMS count automatically, and now I'm looking for something similar for the rest of my usage stats.

Creating a calendar alert to remind me to wipe the usage stats myself is kind of tedious.
I don't think an official app would be allowed to do that...I've just been using a calendar reminder that repeats monthly. A bit annoying but not all that tedious since you only have to set the reminder up once ever, and do the manual reset 12 times a year.

RBH said:
2K Sports NHL 2K11 for the iPhone: Launch Day Special, Only $1.99 for a limited time:

273637.png

http://www.appshopper.com/games/2k-sports-nhl-2k11

2K Sports NHL 2K11 Lite: Try the Lite version for free:

278405.png

http://www.appshopper.com/games/2k-sports-nhl-2k11-lite

This actually plays a pretty good game of hockey. Recommend.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
japtor said:
I don't think an official app would be allowed to do that...I've just been using a calendar reminder that repeats monthly. A bit annoying but not all that tedious since you only have to set the reminder up once ever, and do the manual reset 12 times a year.
Yeah, I set up the calendar as well. But I yearn for a more elegant solution. That's why I also asked about unofficial apps!

Oyashiro

I bought Hellsing's Fire last night and have been playing it pretty much non-stop. It's really good! I just finished beating the first boss and it's definitely money well spent.

japtor

DoctorWho said:
This actually plays a pretty good game of hockey. Recommend.
One thing for older iPhone/iPod owners:

*NOTE: Not compatible with original (1st generation) iPhone, iPhone 3G and original iPod Touch

No clue if they meant to include the 2nd gen iPod touch or if that extra CPU speed it has makes it playable.

I played with the lite one for a short bit on my iPad and it seems alright, although it feels like it takes a while to start up, including a short presented by Geico video. Not that I've played any hockey games in many years to be much of a critic of them. I couldn't figure out how to set up a pass->shot (not sure if there's an actual hockey term for this) but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm just not doing something right. Uses plain on screen analog and buttons, works enough I guess, although it never mentions what the lightning bolt does (deke maybe?), and for passing it always goes in the direction of the analog it seems. Not too hard to adjust to but it's caused me to do a few passes to no one while trying to move up the ice.

Minsc

Gold Member
I didn't see it posted in here yet, but Phantasy Star II is due out this thursday, it will probably get way over-shadowed by the Cave game, but before that happens, anyone play them?

Are they still playable today if you are fine with games like FFI? Why start with the second title and not the first?

My only experience with the series was on the Dreamcast with Phantasy Star Online, never played any of the originals.

Minsc

Gold Member
Thanks! & yes, all UI has been redone for retina in the 2nd update, there's a few enhancements to be coded & then will be submitted

Looks like update #2 is almost done and ready to be submitted for EpicWin, lol, and apple's still making everyone wait to download the first update. I guess Apple's moral of the story is don't release unfinished, buggy software, or your app and users will suffer because it takes forever to get bugs fixed.

All UI being redone for the retina display is a big one for a few of people, hopefully now he can focus on tidying up the app and game portions.

Minsc said:
I didn't see it posted in here yet, but Phantasy Star II is due out this thursday, it will probably get way over-shadowed by the Cave game, but before that happens, anyone play them?
I played Phantasy Star II on the PSP Genesis Collection. It has some nice features for its time, like an auto-battle system and a unique (if sparse) setting and story, but overall it's really difficult to go back to. You have to grind for ages to get enough money to buy the latest equipment and dungeons are a pain to navigate, even if you're looking at a map. I have difficulty playing FF1, so you may have a higher tolerance level for these sorts of things, but I think it's one of the most tedious entries in any classic RPG series.

jambo

Neo Child said:
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on my game I'm working on for the iPod - Theres No Place Like Homeless. It's a platformer/stealth game where you play as a Bum hiding in shadows & trashcans all while running away fron Catchers and Spotters who try to arrest the Bum (set in the year 20XX in Somewhere City where by being homeless you are brekaing the law).

nplh.gif

http://supercuriosityblog.blogspot.com/
Day 1!

Minsc

Gold Member
Benedict said:
Across Age is down to $2.99. Is it worth it?
Any similar games available in the same price-range that are better?

Here's the review from TouchArcade (4/5):

A great combination of fun combat and good puzzle variation allows Across Age to swiftly avoid the problems that many RPGs run into, and its high production values only serve to increase the already substantial attractive nature of the game for fans of the genre. Zenonia 2 has a lot to prove if it's going to continue the trend of ever-increasingly great action RPGs being released on the App Store

It has been patched a few times since the review, I picked it up a while ago myself (for a bit more $), seemed to have high production values from what little I played, haven't had a chance to invest any real time in it though!

japtor

SmokyDave said:
One more day until DoDonPachi!!!
If you're in Japan it's out now. Or change the country code "jp" to whatever country you're in to see if it's out yet. I saw Australia and New Zealand have it but not much else so far.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Minsc said:
Here's the review from TouchArcade (4/5):

It has been patched a few times since the review, I picked it up a while ago myself (for a bit more $), seemed to have high production values from what little I played, haven't had a chance to invest any real time in it though!
How does it run? That's the biggest problem for me with Zenonia. Both of them run at stupidly low framerates for a 2D game. It just ends up feeling cheap.

Minsc

Gold Member
dark10x said:
How does it run? That's the biggest problem for me with Zenonia. Both of them run at stupidly low framerates for a 2D game. It just ends up feeling cheap.

I just loaded up Zenonia 1 and looking at the smoothness of screen scrolling when walking around, Zenonia looks visibly jumpy in motion. Across Age looks smoother, but not silky smooth like I'm remembering SNES's Zelda: A Link to the Past to be. If LttP is 60fps, and Zenonia's like 15, this feels like 30ish (maybe slightly less). Somewhere between the two.

I'd agree both games would be improved with a 60fps framerate like Zelda had, now that you made me notice it :)

japtor

I guess this is kinda like a game, Fantasy Trader went free for today. Haven't tried it yet but it looks pretty interesting. Basically a stock trading game, but with sports stars as the stocks.

...I can't imagine this is licensed by any of the player associations, but whatever. Just watch out for Adrian Peterson.

Reese-015

Zombie Infection's on sale! $0.99! I am REALLY impressed. I'm in the first area of the game atm and man these are by far the best graphics on the iPhone I've seen to date, the environment looks better than many PS2 games and production values are really high. It looked great in screenshots and trailers but still, they really didn't do it justice! Controls and gameplay are intuitive and fun. I'm not a huge fan of Gameloft, but damn... I'm really enjoying this so far.

japtor

wmat said:
Can't buy (de). It says it's being changed currently.
Might be this thing that they mentioned on their blog a few days ago:
* Please be aware that there is a time lag internationally for the start time and date of the special commemorative price, so please verify the game’s price before purchasing.
The price change is probably just filtering through the system or something.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
japtor said:
Might be this thing that they mentioned on their blog a few days ago:

The price change is probably just filtering through the system or something.
It shows up with the right price though: 3,99€

The App Store shouldn't give me the option to buy it if I can't buy it, really.

Agate

Neo Member
Neo Child said:
Thanks bro! We're looking to get to work on our next project as soon as we've finished Homeless :D

In the meantime, if folks could like... visit (or subscribe to) our blog that'd be awesome, I really want to garner alot of interest in it by the time it's finished :D

http://supercuriosityblog.blogspot.com/

Looks pretty awesome, I wish you and your team the best in your endeavors. I'm definitely giving my friends on campus a heads up about this one..titles like these are right up our alley :) we shall be waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom