• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

Twig

Banned
Davidion said:
Man, I hate those people who don't have voice chat. What's up with that?
Well done, new page and all.

Truly a prime example of internet genius.

Cream of the crop, Dave.

I still don't forgive you for hating Trackmania, though.

x3sphere

Blizzard said:
I'm trying to figure out if my (new) computer is dying or not. :(

I kept thinking it was laggy servers (the ones where when a horde appears, zombies start being all jerky and teleporting). But now it seems I'm having it even when other people aren't. I was getting 90-140 fps, with everything pretty much max (4xAA and filtering), windowed 1280x768 mode. I was also seeing higher 4850 temperatures than normal (75C with 58% fan, normally it's like 70C).

I turned off multicore rendering, and it SEEMED to be a little better, though my framerates typically dropped to like 45-60...and I'm running an e8400, Windows 7 64-bit, 4GB RAM. Now the graphics card temperature is down, too.

Should I be seeing better performance or absolutely no jerky zombies, or what?

Turning off multicore rendering would give you worse performance, so it's normal your FPS dropped rather drastically. If you aren't experiencing similar issues in other games, Windows 7 might be the culprit.

Davidion

TheOneGuy said:
Well done, new page and all.

Truly a prime example of internet genius.

Cream of the crop, Dave.

I still don't forgive you for hating Trackmania, though.

You're sarcasm sucks, so I'll spare you from any: bite me, Twig.

where the fuck have you been

Davidion said:

LOL grammar. How can twig's sarcasm sucks when he is a physical embodiment of sarcasm?

PS : Still waiting until Valve fixes l4d so I can start playing again.

Davidion

PillowKnight said:
LOL grammar. How can twig's sarcasm sucks when he is a physical embodiment of sarcasm?

Was hoping HE would catch it. :lol

Are you skipping out because of the horrible connections or the FPS problem (which I don't think I've had)? I feel like there are just random problems popping up every week or so now.

Blizzard

Banned
PillowKnight said:

Someone else was having problems then? What ones in particular did you have? I'm still not convinced whether my laggy zombies are a server issue or a multicore rendering issue.

Davidion said:
Was hoping HE would catch it. :lol

Are you skipping out because of the horrible connections or the FPS problem (which I don't think I've had)? I feel like there are just random problems popping up every week or so now.
I don't have the time atm, always takes at least 2 hours to play a game. Basically the server situation...and maybe easier matchmaking for small groups, even though playing against pubs is so dreadful.

But yeah, people crapping out mid game is another problem, just makes the time add up.

Sibylus

Banned
dygiT said:
Yay I get 10 more FPS by turning multicore rendering off!!!

EDIT: Anyone getting annoying sound looping issues?
The multicore thing was what was causing my sound looping issues, but I somebody on Gaf said it was an nVidia driver issue, and the latest drivers apparently fix it.

Ventrue

Red Scarlet said:
LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID do you have this for PC? If so, let's play later.

I do have this for PC but I live in Australia so the time zone/nearby server issues makes it hard to play with GAFfers.
Plus I just fuckin' love voice chat.

x3sphere

dygiT said:

You shouldn't get more FPS by turning it off, unless your CPU is not a true dual or quad core (i.e. P4 with HT enabled). Make sure all drivers are up to date.

Red Scarlet

Ventrue said:
I do have this for PC but I live in Australia so the time zone/nearby server issues makes it hard to play with GAFfers.
Plus I just fuckin' love voice chat.

I play with people from Asia and Europe all the time.
But if you HAVE to play with VC folks only, then blah

Volcynika

Scarlet rolls in the silence!

Also, I find it amusing I knew what she meant when she just typed "h" or something during our Nothing Special attempts :lol

Ventrue

Red Scarlet said:
I play with people from Asia and Europe all the time.
But if you HAVE to play with VC folks only, then blah

Well, if the opportunity comes up, I wouldn't mind. If anyone here wants to add me my Steam page is here.

Ventrue

Red Scarlet said:
What about later today? I play with Pop all the time and he should be waking up soon.

What time GMT? (or just include your time zone)

EDIT: Or just send me a message on Steam when. I should be free for ages but no guarantees.

Twig

Banned
Davidion said:

WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I WAS BEING SARCASTIC, HUH. MAYBE I WAS BEING GENUINE.

Y U GOTTA H8, PLAYA

what do you mean where the fuck have i been i'm online like all the time

Bernbaum

Man this thread got huge.

I have no idea if this has been mentioned here before, but there's a neat Left 4 Dead Achievement generator, where you can make your own achievements.

Here's my effort:

2mf0pdh.png

Armitage

I just totally noobed my poor team in versus :lol They actually kicked me.

When we were the zombies we were all picking on Zoey. We didn't care about winning, but that bitch had to die. Then when we were humans the other team all ganged up on me and I was constantly getting dragged back by smokers and stuff. Then I accidentally fell down a hole which put me like 2 minutes back and surrounded by zombies and then they kicked me :lol

Twig

Banned
Volcynika said:
Twig changes his name to stupid names no one would recgonize!

For he is Twig...destroyer of worlds.
I've only changed my name twice, ever. Once to Twig. Once to something else.

I may change it back, who knows.

I think you're just jealous you didn't think of it first. O:

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The game was buggy as hell tonight.

l4d_airport04_terminal0000.jpg

I thought it was strange that the van completely took down the gate in the airport during this crescendo. Taking advantage of the freedom granted, I throw a pipe bomb at an approaching horde.

The pipe bounces off the invisible gate, lands at my feet, and Red Scarlet laughs at me as I run for cover.

:(

Red Scarlet

Goreomedy said:
The game was buggy as hell tonight.

l4d_airport04_terminal0000.jpg

I thought it was strange that the van completely took down the gate in the airport during this crescendo. Taking advantage of the freedom granted, I throw a pipe bomb at an approaching horde.

The pipe bounces off the invisible gate, lands at my feet, and Red Scarlet laughs at me as I run for cover.

:(

Pfft, I tried to snipe that Boomer after the event on DA2 and fell off the building! I had to laugh at something you guys did after that.

TChirath

Neo Member
I'm generally pretty bad at FPS and this game is no better :( Anyone who dont mind showing me a few tips, pls feel free to add. GT: TChirath

Red Scarlet said:
Pfft, I tried to snipe that Boomer after the event on DA2 and fell off the building! I had to laugh at something you guys did after that.

I didn't even know what happened there. We've all been making some pretty silly mistakes after getting that Nothing Special achievement.

2 straight weeks of playing on easy will do that, I guess.

Haden

Banned
dygiT said:

I did turn sound quality down to low that might work. Got new drivers actually need to see if I can turn everything back eg multicore and sound quality.

Red Scarlet

Pop On Arrival said:
I didn't even know what happened there. We've all been making some pretty silly mistakes after getting that Nothing Special achievement.

2 straight weeks of playing on easy will do that, I guess.

The Boomer spawns in the alley before that last building we run on top of right after the DA2 crescendo. I heard him, so I duck-walked toward the gap/ledge to get the Boomer while it was in the alley/climbing up...so I moved towards the ledge to get the Boomer into view, and I duck-walked off the ledge and down the alley. Where was my stupid HELP ME ledge grab? Oh yeah, it happened right before the crescendo out of that window. :|

Now I want to block the Boomer as it is climbing up the drain pipe and see what happens. Will it explode and make me fall down the alley? Will it barf on me while I'm standing on its head? Will it take me down to the alley??

Chinner: neato.

Gomu Gomu

Alright, so I just bought the game on PC (retail). It's my very first PC game i bought btw.

qq23qh.jpg

after a while, an error pops up saying the game is currently unavilable, please try again another time.

WHAT THE FUCK :/?

Redd

It's pretty sad that I've owned this game for over 2 months and I finally got the headshot the hunter in Midair achievement.

charsace

Redd said:
It's pretty sad that I've owned this game for over 2 months and I finally got the headshot the hunter in Midair achievement.
No, its hard to get. Neogaffer I will play with you. fr [gaf]charsace or charsace.

Daigoro

Red Scarlet said:
You have never played with me since that vs match where Pop and I ganged up on you outside of that house on BH..last year.
:'(

OH GOD you had to remind me!

yeah, i just havent touched the PC version in quite a while. i started playing the 360 version a lot more with people, and worked on some of those achievements (i fear i will never get NS on the 360), and then i just got burnt out on L4D. i havent played it much in the last 2 weeks.

ive missed you guys though. im sure ill be coming back sooner or later.

Varna

NeoGAFFer said:
Alright, so I just bought the game on PC (retail). It's my very first PC game i bought btw.

qq23qh.jpg

after a while, an error pops up saying the game is currently unavilable, please try again another time.

WHAT THE FUCK :/?

Logout, and restart Steam. That should fix it.

Bogus

Bah! The tank glitch keeps happening to me on the Blood Harvest finale. :[ I wonder if it's just the AI director taking his revenge on Survivor teams that make things boring by camping in the corner of the radio room.

Top Bottom