• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

Blizzard

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
pictures!

Congratulations. :) Now I'll have to try to get that achievement someday. ;_;

Marvel saves the day with his cool accent.

*edit*

Nevermind, I misread. Marvel's accent wasn't ENOUGH to save him.

Mantorok

Coverly said:
If you don't mind a band aid approach, you can just add the people in your game to party chat and then set the voice options for the sound to play through both the headset and speakers.

Doing this helps the 2nd person that is a guest listen to the conversations so that they are not completely lost on what's going on. If she wants to give any input from time to time, I'm sure you can relay the msg to the team. My wife and I did this all the time before she got her own account.

Ah cool that would probably be enough for me.

How do I add people in the game to party and set these options - never done it before.

Blizzard

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Do it with me.

That's what SHE sai...

...I mean, sure. Do I have you as a friend on Steam? >_> Also, I'm going to need to know what everyone means by "cheesemints" before I trust you with my life ingame.

fallout

Blizzard said:
Also, I'm going to need to know what everyone means by "cheesemints" before I trust you with my life ingame.
Cheesemints. They are tasty.

Anyway, I've got a bit of time to kill this afternoon, so I'd be down with joining you and Twiggers.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
That's what SHE sai...

...I mean, sure. Do I have you as a friend on Steam? >_> Also, I'm going to need to know what everyone means by "cheesemints" before I trust you with my life ingame.
We have played together many times.

I may weep openly.

Blizzard

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
We have played together many times.

I may weep openly.

This is because all you crazy people use different names on Steam than on here. I mean, everyone calls you Twig, but I don't see anyone by that name playing either. :(

Also, I still require cheesemint info.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
This is because all you crazy people use different names on Steam than on here. I mean, everyone calls you Twig, but I don't see anyone by that name playing either. :(

Also, I still require cheesemint info.
That's because I changed my Steam name.

BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO FIND OUT WHO I AM MUAHAHA.

Red Scarlet

Well, here it is, I don't know what the fps problem was at the start of level 3 though.

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/Nothing Special-BH1.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/Nothing Special-BH2.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/Nothing Special-BH3.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/Nothing Special-BH4.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/Nothing Special-BH5.avi

The whole thing is about 30 mins. It's kinda funny how the very first and very last Hunters were the closest things to ending it. Some close Boomers liked Pop, and a couple Tanks were pretty close to hitting a player (usually me). The way MH dropped down out of the barn during the final Tank makes me laugh for some reason, and his remark to the last Hunter on level 4 was great (a Hunter in the same spot ended our attempt just before this one). Lots of fun and great teamwork! Goreo just would not grab that pipe bomb at the start..what a dick.

Ventrue said:
Fair enough. :lol

I just thought it was common in L4D.
I wish it wasn't. It often ends up just being WWF play-by-play announcing. "Oh shit, a hunter!" while the character screams "HUNTER! GET IT OFF ME!" Repeat this for every game you've played since November. "Guys, I hear a tank" when "TANK IS APPROACHING" flashes on the screen. "Hey I think we should do better than they did last round." "Push W to walk forward."

Volcynika

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I wish it wasn't. It often ends up just being WWF play-by-play announcing. "Oh shit, a hunter!" while the character screams "HUNTER! GET IT OFF ME!" Repeat this for every game you've played since November. "Guys, I hear a tank" when "TANK IS APPROACHING" flashes on the screen. "Hey I think we should do better than they did last round." "Push W to walk forward."

Hey that never flashes on my screen!

Blizzard

Banned
Volcynika said:
Hey that never flashes on my screen!

He turned on subtitles to make the game easier, and is objecting to people announcing it.

But yeah, some people DO scream "HOLY CRAP A ZOMBIE" "HOLY CRAP A HUNTER" "HOLY CRAP SOMETHING IS ATTACKING" too much.

I just reflexively say whatever's attacking me, and wait for people to tell me to bug off. :3

Ventrue

Blizzard said:
He turned on subtitles to make the game easier, and is objecting to people announcing it.

But yeah, some people DO scream "HOLY CRAP A ZOMBIE" "HOLY CRAP A HUNTER" "HOLY CRAP SOMETHING IS ATTACKING" too much.

I just reflexively say whatever's attacking me, and wait for people to tell me to bug off. :3
I tend to do things more like "the hunter is behind the door on the left there" or "hunter on me, meele to your right" (to people who are blind from vomit). Or even just things like "the pills are on the cabinet" or "I'll watch the stairs."

Red Scarlet

I'll use my Tank and Witch binds when I see/hear them in case the music hasn't started for other people, which at times seems to happen. Too much talking about obvious things can make it harder to hear special infected at times, imo.

The little group of L4D players that I've been campaigning it with since November have grown to understand everyone's habits and playing styles, so much so, that we no longer do any kind of voice comm. Everyone knows exactly what to do in every situation, which corner to run to when a horde storms in, where to retreat to when the tank comes, who guards who, and who keeps watch of where, so there's very rarely any chitter chatter.

Playing with this group has become so routine and formulaic, that I managed to finish the NM campaign the other day, only losing 30 points of health throughout it's entire course. This is the reason I'm trying to play more public games right now... I need the unpredictability of this game back!

Thankfully, playing with GAFfers the past few days has lead to just that! ;)

marvelharvey said:
The little group of L4D players that I've been campaigning it with since November have grown to understand everyone's habits and playing styles, so much so, that we no longer do any kind of voice comm. Everyone knows exactly what to do in every situation, which corner to run to when a horde storms in, where to retreat to when the tank comes, who guards who, and who keeps watch of where, so there's very rarely any chitter chatter.

Playing with this group has become so routine and formulaic, that I managed to finish the NM campaign the other day, only losing 30 points of health throughout it's entire course. This is the reason I'm trying to play more public games right now... I need the unpredictability of this game back!

We should play together some time, your accent sounds like fun.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm trying to figure out if my (new) computer is dying or not. :(

I kept thinking it was laggy servers (the ones where when a horde appears, zombies start being all jerky and teleporting). But now it seems I'm having it even when other people aren't. I was getting 90-140 fps, with everything pretty much max (4xAA and filtering), windowed 1280x768 mode. I was also seeing higher 4850 temperatures than normal (75C with 58% fan, normally it's like 70C).

I turned off multicore rendering, and it SEEMED to be a little better, though my framerates typically dropped to like 45-60...and I'm running an e8400, Windows 7 64-bit, 4GB RAM. Now the graphics card temperature is down, too.

Should I be seeing better performance or absolutely no jerky zombies, or what?

marvelharvey said:
This is the reason I'm trying to play more public games right now... I need the unpredictability of this game back!

I only play random games (no friends gah!) but some of these people are assholes. Why would you start machines / level triggers as soon as you get to them without checking if people are ready or finished setting out traps? And what is the reasoning to take painkillers and then immediately use healthkits? No decorum with some people. I haven't met any racists or real assholes yet though, suprisingly, which is quite nice.

vertopci

marvelharvey said:

You could always play versus :D

RocketDarkness said:
We should play together some time, your accent sounds like fun.
Indeed we should... unless you're a Red Scarlet night owl, weekends will be the best bet due to time differences and all.
vertopci said:
You could always play versus :D
Oh I DO :D Let's get a team together!
Red Scarlet said:
I can't remember the last time I played vs. 3? weeks ago? Need to again.
You too!

Oh and thanks for the earlier vids, I enjoyed reliving those moments.

Ventrue

You don't need subtitles on to see the "DUDE IS BECOMING THE TANK" message.
Maybe I'm completely wrong but don't you only see that on infected? Been a few weeks since I've played versus but as far as I remember that message doesn't pop up on the survivor side.

Also, coop obviously doesn't have such a message.

Ventrue said:
Maybe I'm completely wrong but don't you only see that on infected? Been a few weeks since I've played versus but as far as I remember that message doesn't pop up on the survivor side.

Also, coop obviously doesn't have such a message.
You're probably right.

Either way, tanks can be punching cars at you and the music can be blasting, but someone will still shout "GUYS THERE'S A TANK, DON'T GET HIT" and all sorts of shit that's totally obvious just from being observant while playing the game.

Last night I had the most ridiculous voice chatter, so the discussion on it was already on my mind when it came up in this thread. We had an entire round of No Mercy narrated to us like he was reading the Wikipedia page for Left 4 Dead to us. "Let's do better on this level than they did so we can win" and "Smoker's tongue can grab you when he's on the roof" and "Watch out for the fire." He said about 100 things that were completely obvious, normal things that everyone knows, but he thought he was being helpful and profound in his observations for his team.

I also agree with marvelharvey that after you've played this game a few times, you'll do the same things over and over as habit, especially if you're playing with the same people. People keep preaching how necessary voice chat is for this game, but the game's cues are much better than any other game. It's well-designed enough that you often just don't need it.

Blizzard

Banned
You're probably right.

Either way, tanks can be punching cars at you and the music can be blasting, but someone will still shout "GUYS THERE'S A TANK, DON'T GET HIT" and all sorts of shit that's totally obvious just from being observant while playing the game.

Last night I had the most ridiculous voice chatter, so the discussion on it was already on my mind when it came up in this thread. We had an entire round of No Mercy narrated to us like he was reading the Wikipedia page for Left 4 Dead to us. "Let's do better on this level than they did so we can win" and "Smoker's tongue can grab you when he's on the roof" and "Watch out for the fire." He said about 100 things that were completely obvious, normal things that everyone knows, but he thought he was being helpful and profound in his observations for his team.

Yes, and I've heard music playing for like 10 seconds, as a tank is about to charge into our room, at which point my teammates will ask "Oh, is there a tank?".

I think the problem is that you can't mute teammates. That, and a framerate lock are two obvious features that make me sad because they're not there.

For you, sir, who hate everything (especially voicechat), my suggestion is to try turning mic receive volume all the way down. If you're lucky and it works, you will never worry about having to hear another human voice, except in the lobby.

Blizzard said:
For you, sir, who hate everything (especially voicechat), my suggestion is to try turning mic receive volume all the way down. If you're lucky and it works, you will never worry about having to hear another human voice, except in the lobby.
Cute.

It has its uses, but it's mainly for new players or maybe if you're playing with 2 people you know and you have to keep the last random guy in check with your team's usual gameplan.

Ventrue

I also agree with marvelharvey that after you've played this game a few times, you'll do the same things over and over as habit, especially if you're playing with the same people. People keep preaching how necessary voice chat is for this game, but the game's cues are much better than any other game. It's well-designed enough that you often just don't need it.
Yeah, the voice chat can definitely be annoying with the wrong people. And certainly, the game does provide better cues than most other multiplayer games. Still, I usually find that having the team communicate the specifics of certain things that are too subtle for the voice commands has been massively helpful for me.

Blizzard

Banned
Cute.

It has its uses, but it's mainly for new players or maybe if you're playing with 2 people you know and you have to keep the last random guy in check with your team's usual gameplan.

Honestly, I haven't seen you post much anything that I can recall in the gaming section or the Left 4 Dead thread that isn't a complaint about something. :p You're like a version of me, but worse.

Anyway, if you only play versus with the same 2-3 teammates every time, that might be true (you might all construct some usual game plan). But if you're playing with 6-7 people from GAF, you probably don't always play on the same team. And then if you're the rear guard and you ask about the witch, and the guy in the front just quickly types "dead" because everyone's fighting off zombies, it can be annoying to flee to the front and then find out the witch was ALIVE, and it was actually a boomer that was dead. It's not necessary, but it definitely helps out unless you're playing with people that you've played with a lot.

fallout

Cute.

:lol I love it.

People have problems with the game, and all you can ever offer are insults without any solution. Then, someone offers you a solution to a pretty simple problem that you have and you get defensive about it. What happened to you to make you such an asshole? I mean, I'm not really annoyed by it--I got use to you shitting up the OT years ago--I just find it incredible that someone can be as antagonistic as you are, even on the internet.

Twig

Banned
fallout said:

People have problems with the game, and all you can ever offer are insults without any solution. Then, someone offers you a solution to a pretty simple problem that you have and you get defensive about it. What happened to you to make you such an asshole? I mean, I'm not really annoyed by it--I got use to you shitting up the OT years ago--I just find it incredible that someone can be as antagonistic as you are, even on the internet.
Oh shit.

IT'S ON, NOW.

fallout said:
Nah. He'll just ignore me as he usually does.
I considered it a subtle way of reminding you the forum has an ignore function, so you could use that rather than poorly insulting me for being an insulting person.

Why would you get pissy about me not wanting to turn off voice chat when you can't perform the equivalent function on this forum after you've posted about a dozen times regarding how much you don't like me?

fallout said:

LOL!

Twig

Banned
I considered it a subtle way of reminding you the forum has an ignore function, so you could use that rather than poorly insulting me for being an insulting person.

Why would you get pissy about me not wanting to turn off voice chat when you can't perform the equivalent function on this forum after you've posted about a dozen times regarding how much you don't like me?

LOL!
Hint: He didn't.

LOL!

fallout

I actually did have you on ignore for awhile, but everyone replies to you all the time and I end up seeing it anyway. And truth be told, I'm really not annoyed by you. I used to be, but now it's at the point where I'm just curious as to why you are the way you are. I have the strangest interest in internet sociology.

Or this could have just been an elaborate ruse to divert from another pointless voice chat debate.

Top Bottom