• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

Yasser

i'm planning on getting a laptop pretty soon mostly for work but will this run on it? some specs:
AMD Turion X2 2.10ghz
GeForce 8200M
3,072 MB RAM

Xdrive05

Yasser said:
i'm planning on getting a laptop pretty soon mostly for work but will this run on it? some specs:
AMD Turion X2 2.10ghz
GeForce 8200M
3,072 MB RAM

You'll probably be able to do 1280x800 w/2xAA (maybe) with good FPS. If performance isn't so good then try turning off Vertical Sync first. Got me a massive increase on my laptop (from about 20fps to 40fps)

Don't be afraid to scale back some settings if necessary. The art direction is so strong that it always looks good, even with lower res stuff.

HBP

I should have this by the weekend, coming from Goozex. If anyone wants to play add kapshin on XBL, I would like to join a party of gaffers rather than randoms.

I picked this up for the weekend deal. Played it and i thougth my computer could handle it easy. With 5 gigs of ram and multi core processor it still was stuttering framerate. I did install the new driver after playing. so maybe that fixed it. But i guess im going to have to go dial down all the settings which sucks.

woxel1

wackojackosnose said:
If you knock the SHADER settings down to low the game gives off a cartoony Team Fortress look and it performs so much better.

Also it's a lot less scary.
In that case, I'd recommend dropping your resolution in favor of the shader effects. It really makes a difference in presentation.

madmook

Yasser said:
AMD Turion X2 2.10ghz
GeForce 8200M
3,072 MB RAM
I have a Samsung laptop with:
Core 2 Duo T5800 2.00ghz
GeForce 9200M 512mb ddr2
3gigs of RAM
Vista Home Premium 32-bit

The game runs, but its pretty crappy. I run everything on low and at 800x600 res to keep it at a playable framerate, and its still like 15-30 fps.

Red Scarlet

Argh, just got robbed NS on 1 player from a Tank at the very end of BH4..I went around a tree and got stuck on a train hitch. I think we will get it today, Pop.

Blizzard

Banned
I think that Left 4 Dead may now be worse than Brawl and Mario Kart in terms of broken online functionality. :/ The last couple of times I've played it's taken maybe 2-4 times to find a decent server that doesn't crash, lag horribly, not have enough power for zombie hordes, or have weird rules.

Pikelet

I think that Left 4 Dead may now be worse than Brawl and Mario Kart in terms of broken online functionality. :/ The last couple of times I've played it's taken maybe 2-4 times to find a decent server that doesn't crash, lag horribly, not have enough power for zombie hordes, or have weird rules.

use openserverbrowser and sort by ping, find servers you like and are usually populated and baby you've got a stew going

Blizzard

Banned
Pikelet said:
use openserverbrowser and sort by ping, find servers you like and are usually populated and baby you've got a stew going

That doesn't really help if you're trying to play with 3-7 friends and need an empty server. For instance, tonight. The first server we tried had crappy ping. The second or third lobby had no public people join. The next server I hosted, and worked pretty well...ping was 76/140 or whatever, and then it promptly changed to dead air finale without warning. Then we voted to change the campaign, and everyone was stuck in spectator mode, on no mercy. At that point I gave up.

Pikelet

That doesn't really help if you're trying to play with 3-7 friends and need an empty server. For instance, tonight. The first server we tried had crappy ping. The second or third lobby had no public people join. The next server I hosted, and worked pretty well...ping was 76/140 or whatever, and then it promptly changed to dead air finale without warning. Then we voted to change the campaign, and everyone was stuck in spectator mode, on no mercy. At that point I gave up.

Well that sucks, though it has never happened to me. When i'm playing with friends we just join a group and find a server and generally get green pings by default. And im in Australia, where good servers are probably harder to find than where your from (assuming your american)

Weird

vertopci

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I picked this up for the weekend deal. Played it and i thougth my computer could handle it easy. With 5 gigs of ram and multi core processor it still was stuttering framerate. I did install the new driver after playing. so maybe that fixed it. But i guess im going to have to go dial down all the settings which sucks.

Having 5 gigs means nothing at all on performance of the game. Especially if you have a 32 bit OS. Depends more on graphics cards and speed of the processor.

Pikelet

I finally managed to smoke someone out of the elevator. Was one of the greatest kickass moments ive had in the game. Once you know the spots where a smoker can do some real damage, he can be one of the most important classes of the game besides the boomer.

also, anyone else find that they get better results with the boomer if the survivors are split in to two groups and you vomit on two of them. This overwhelms them much more effectively than if you get all four in a confined space and often you can escape without being blown up enabling you to explode on the remaining two survivors if they come back and help. Many a game has been ended with this strategy.

This is what i love about vs mode, at any point a few good moves combined with teamwork can end a game instantly, you are always only one minute away from finishing off a team.

Ventrue

2rf4g7a.jpg

Mantorok

Question about the 360 version. If my wife wants to be able to talk over live through her own headset/controller over splitscreen I take it we will need to purchase a seperate Live account?

manzo

Mantorok said:
Question about the 360 version. If my wife wants to be able to talk over live through her own headset/controller over splitscreen I take it we will need to purchase a seperate Live account?

Sadly, yes. If you're playing splitscreen on live and both want to talk to their own mics, then you need 2 accounts and both need to be gold accounts. :(

Mantorok

manzo said:
Sadly, yes. If you're playing splitscreen on live and both want to talk to their own mics, then you need 2 accounts and both need to be gold accounts. :(

I thought as much, the thing is with this game is that voice is important if you want to form a successful team, so I may actually consider it.

firex

Blizzard said:
Nope. I mean the matchmaking and random modded servers suck ass in L4D, but nothing will be as shittacular as Brawl's online.

Red Scarlet said:
Argh, just got robbed NS on 1 player from a Tank at the very end of BH4..I went around a tree and got stuck on a train hitch. I think we will get it today, Pop.

WE DIDN'T.

This game is cheap as fuck. The other day on Blood Harvest, me and Scarlet got to BH5 on our 2 player co-op "Nothing Special" run. On the elevated path to the cornfields, out of freakin' NOWHERE, a Smoker, a Hunter and a TANK all spawned one by one right in front of my very eyes. The game didn't even try to hide the fact that it was just trying to fuck up our achievement run. Why didn't we just run away? Because a horde came from behind too.

Fuck this game. Also, that stupid hunter slash is cheaper than tranny hooker balls.

1-D_FTW

firex said:
Nope. I mean the matchmaking and random modded servers suck ass in L4D, but nothing will be as shittacular as Brawl's online.

God, I don't wanna even imagine how bad Brawl is by that statement.

I haven't even tried playing L4D since about a week ago when we tried 4 times (and about 30 minutes) to get a gaf BH map going and couldn't get anything going. I was seeing over 5000 servers and the game would still give us servers that just couldn't handle the game. People who were seeing 200 servers tried hosting and we'd just crash trying to find the selected server.

Pikelet said:
also, anyone else find that they get better results with the boomer if the survivors are split in to two groups and you vomit on two of them. This overwhelms them much more effectively than if you get all four in a confined space and often you can escape without being blown up enabling you to explode on the remaining two survivors if they come back and help. Many a game has been ended with this strategy.
It's the most powerful boomer technique, I like to call it "The Wedge."

Fuck this game. Also, that stupid hunter slash is cheaper than tranny hooker balls.
:lol Sounds like fun.

1-D_FTW said:
I was seeing over 5000 servers and the game would still give us servers that just couldn't handle the game. People who were seeing 200 servers tried hosting and we'd just crash trying to find the selected server.

How do I do this?

I normally only get thrown into a (quick start) game or the lobby.

1-D_FTW

wackojackosnose said:
How do I do this?

I normally only get thrown into a (quick start) game or the lobby.

It's the "openserverbrowser" in the console menu.

I suppose it's good if you're playing by yourself and wanna manually join a server with a good ping, but I like to look at it because it's a good indicator on what quality servers you're gonna find as host. If you see over 1000, you should find a server that gives most people in the room Green. If you're struggling to see 250, it's best to let someone else host.

You can't actually choose which server you're gonna get as host of a lobby, but it's a very good litmus test for what Valve is gonna stick you with.

Coverly

Mantorok said:
I thought as much, the thing is with this game is that voice is important if you want to form a successful team, so I may actually consider it.

If you don't mind a band aid approach, you can just add the people in your game to party chat and then set the voice options for the sound to play through both the headset and speakers.

Doing this helps the 2nd person that is a guest listen to the conversations so that they are not completely lost on what's going on. If she wants to give any input from time to time, I'm sure you can relay the msg to the team. My wife and I did this all the time before she got her own account.

Volcynika

Davidion said:
Whoa, maybe Fallengorn can stay in for a whole now. :eek:

But that's what makes him unique!

Like Twig's lust for cheesemints! And your "accidental" friendly-fire!

Speaking of which, I wonder when they're going to put up the stats thing again, it's been a while since they took it down...

Red Scarlet

Pop On Arrival said:
WE DIDN'T.

This game is cheap as fuck. The other day on Blood Harvest, me and Scarlet got to BH5 on our 2 player co-op "Nothing Special" run. On the elevated path to the cornfields, out of freakin' NOWHERE, a Smoker, a Hunter and a TANK all spawned one by one right in front of my very eyes. The game didn't even try to hide the fact that it was just trying to fuck up our achievement run. Why didn't we just run away? Because a horde came from behind too.

I really wonder what has screwed us over more, a random Hunter slash or a magically appearing Tank. We played with Goreomedy and MarvelHarvey last night, and we got to the DT finale, and a Hunter came out of nowhere and insta-pounced Pop..we were .2 seconds too slow in getting the Hunter off him so he got hit, but as we ran for the boat, Goreo and MH got warped to the front of the dock in front of the third Tank. :(

One day..one day. It's not a simple achievement for me and Pop anymore, it's an albatross. It's basically the game mooning us now, and we want to overcome it.

PatzCU

Probably a dumb question, but I saw it mentioned above of someone doing a 2 player co-op run. Is it possible to lower the amount of players in game or do you have to make the AI fill in up to 4 players.

1-D_FTW said:
It's the "openserverbrowser" in the console menu.

I suppose it's good if you're playing by yourself and wanna manually join a server with a good ping, but I like to look at it because it's a good indicator on what quality servers you're gonna find as host. If you see over 1000, you should find a server that gives most people in the room Green. If you're struggling to see 250, it's best to let someone else host.

You can't actually choose which server you're gonna get as host of a lobby, but it's a very good litmus test for what Valve is gonna stick you with.

Ah, thanks for that.

I suppose it gives me a reason to dick aroung with the console menu stuff.

f3niks

timetokill said:
The amount of racism I see in L4D is pretty appalling, but I guess that's the nature of online games. Tons of people saying, "Aw, I'm playing as the n----r" or "Kill the n----r" or so on.

One game I was playing against a guy who was constantly singing racist songs and spouting shit about the KKK and such on all-chat. The entire game. I think I mentioned it before. Wasn't able to record it because RealTek does not play nice with Fraps. I did kill that guy every match though, he never got to even halfway in any map :lol

It's really sad how prevalent it is though.

Yet another reason I love the party system on Xbox live. I play with my buds and I hear the occasional idiot through my tv speakers but not much else. When I decide to double dip and pick L4D on PC, I will be running with the same crew pretty much so it still shouldn't be much of an issue.

Pop On Arrival said:
WE DIDN'T.

I could be wrong about, but it sounds to me as if you two advancing too fast; maybe you'll be more lucky if you're playing extra cautious with a full room, instead of having two bots tag along? Also: why Blood Harvest instead of the other movies?

Never tried to get that achievement myself, but I'd probably almost stop moving entirely every time I hear a Special Infected, until I know for a fact that it's dead.

jas0

Neo Member
arab said:
so how well does this game run on an alu-macbook 13"?

I tried it on a friend's Aluminum MacBook 13inch and it ran really well. Settings weren't lowered and framerate was fine. 1280x800

f3niks

Louis whines too much like a little bitch in my book. His only redeeming quality is the "Thanks, I owe you a BIG one" that he usually says to Zoey. My faves are Francis and Billdo...yes Billdo. Francis hates every damn thing and Bill has the line in the elevator on No Mercy when he kids about the Zombie Apocalypse of '57.

Top Bottom