• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

saelz8

2u3zbso.jpg

General
● Left 4 Dead - Co-op, Survival Horror, FPS
Platforms - PC, Xbox 360
Price - PC $50, 360 $60
Release Date - Nov 18, 2008, Nov 21 EU

● A virulent strain of the Rabies virus has started spreading throughout the country. (Cause unknown) Source

● Left 4 Dead will feature some new Source engine enhancements, not seen in any previous Source game. Physics based animation being the primary new feature. The Boomers jiggly belly, flowing hair, floppy clothing. There will also be a new particle system. Source

● The 360 version will include 2 player split-screen, as well as system link support. The 2 players can also play online together, much like Halo. Certain Affinity is helping with the 360 version of the game. 360 version has dedicated servers, hosted by Valve. This is no TF2, on that platform.

● System requirements
CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)
RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2 GB for Vista
DISC DRIVE: DVD-ROM Drive
HARD DRIVE: AT least 7.5 GB of free space
VIDEO: DirectX 9 compatible video card (Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0)
SOUND: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

● Screenshots
29yo7l0.jpg
15ejrjd.jpg
16gzvrn.jpg

x3dbwj.jpg
1zl3mky.jpg
15zqudt.jpg

● Difficulty Settings - Easy, Normal, Advanced, and Expert. The difficulty influences friendly fire frequency, as well infected attack power. In Normal mode, infected attacks are worth 3 health, in Expert they are worth 20! (That's nuts!)

● Players - 1-8, or solo with AI controlled survivors. The game has 3 distinct game modes. Single Player, Campaign, and Versus. Campaign is a 4 player experience, Versus is a 8 player experience, as 4 other players apart from the survivors take control of 4 boss infected. (The Boomer, The Hunter, The Smoker and The Tank)

● AI - The Director AI is a dynamic difficulty and pacing system. The Director calculates spawn placement based on skill, location, health, and various other factors. This allows the game to be different in each playthrough. The director controls visual effect cues, as well the games dynamic music.

● There are over 1000 lines of recorded dialogue for each survivor, for more than 4000 total. (That doesn't include radio broadcasts, etc)

● When you're low on health, you start to limp. Your movement speed is reduced.

● Each survivor can carry a single health pack, which you get at starts and checkpoints. You can also pop pills, which is a temporary health regen that gradually diminishes to your health prior to popping the pills.

● When you reach 0 health you fall to the ground (Last Man Standing), your health boosts to 300, and a bleedout timer begins. Your 300 health starts downtick at 3 health per second, until you're helped by a fellow survivor. You can still shoot while bleeding out on the ground. You can only be revived 3 times, and the last revival is only temporary. You will eventually die from one hit after the 3rd revival. The screen turns black & white when you're near death.

● You recieve merits and demerits based on your performance. You recieve merits for healing, saving your fellow survivors. You recieve demerits for friendly fire, and various other forms of retardism.

● The Survivors (You don't choose who you play as, the computer does)
11u91z9.jpg
znkcqv.jpg
i74baa.jpg
igbuyc.jpg

Bill - Veteran of the Vietnam War

Francis - Biker

Louis - Assistant Manager of an electronic convenience store (Best Buy?, Circuit City?)

Zoey - The daughter of a wealthy family.

● The Infected
b8232a.jpg
15nqae1.jpg
2m76io0.jpg
2e21h04.jpg

All infected can see survivors through walls at specific ranges if the survivors are running, have their flashlights on, or are talking. (Voice Commands) The infected can see in the dark.

Boomer - Vomits, which is his primary attack. The vomit acts as a pheromone for other infected, which draws them to you. He explodes when killed which sends out even more vomit, covering anyone within the immediate area. He recieves points for all infected attacks. (His minions, if you will)

Hunter - Fast and agile, the hunter can jump ungodly distances, and climb walls. If you get pounced by a hunter, breaking free is impossible. Your fellow survivors will have to save you.

Smoker - Has a 50FT long tongue that can be used to drag players, or hang them. When The Smoker is killed, he leaves behind a cloud of smoke, which will blind and obstruct vision.

Tank - The strongest of all the playable infected, The Tank can throw cars and objects, smash walls, and overwhelm the survivors with sheer force. In VS mode, choosing the tank is not an option, rather the computer chooses randomly who will get to play as The Tank. When you spawn as The Tank, a frustration meter starts to fill for every moment you aren't around survivors. When the meter is full, you lose control of the The Tank. (He becomes fully consumed by rage, and is driven unconsciously)

The Witch - The she-bitch of Left 4 Dead. The Witch is AI controlled and non-playable. The most powerful enemy in the game, as well as the most rare. The Witch kills with a single hit, but will only show up once or twice in a campaign. She will only react if you shoot her, shine a flashlight at her, or fire your weapons around her. She only exists in difficulties above Normal.

● Weapons
Uzi, Pump Shotgun, Auto Shotgun, M16, Hunting Rifle, Pipe Bomb, Molotov Cocktail, Dual and Single Wield Pistols. Ammo is limited, you must share to survive.

Dedicated server files will be released either tomorrow, or the next day. (Nov 4th, 5th)

● Achievements
2dhelg8.jpg
23kckl2.jpg
2ntk21c.jpg
20sw2li.jpg
11t6idu.jpg
9hkta9.jpg
9gjx3p.jpg
308bk47.jpg
1218hmu.jpg
1zoxill.jpg

28s0awj.jpg
16q5qx.jpg
33z31c6.jpg
hrk584.jpg
2yuezvo.jpg
oi6iqf.jpg
15fr86e.jpg
2mpj37q.jpg
20pzvhj.jpg
2w6f76d.jpg

307w1vk.jpg
30jpmdw.jpg
9thbvn.jpg
2n70360.jpg
w8amc5.jpg
24oyan5.jpg
2nbhjko.jpg
2hh0vmg.jpg
ei6mmv.jpg
10pbt53.jpg

21ju1dd.jpg
2e335gg.jpg
2dj70pc.jpg
2n0rofn.jpg
dgkj9i.jpg
2yvpcvt.jpg
x2ux38.jpg
jhwyn8.jpg
257m9nb.jpg
14vo5s3.jpg

nclb2w.jpg
aexjxl.jpg
169rqzc.jpg
fwit8x.jpg
2hzo0v5.jpg
rm8fn6.jpg
n394xk.jpg
2h5pmqq.jpg
4v2s13.jpg
rm330i.jpg

(Left -> Right)
Helping Hand - Revive 50 incapacitated Survivors.
Field Medic - Heal 25 Survivors with a first aid kit.
Pharm-assist - Give pain pills to 10 Survivors.
My Bodyguard - Protect any Survivor from an attacking Infected 50 times.
Dead Stop - Punch a Hunter as he is pouncing.
Cr0wnd - Kill a Witch with a single headshot.
Untouchables - No Survivors take damage after contacting the rescue vehicle.
Drag and Drop - Rescue a Survivor from a Smoker's tongue before he takes damage.
Blind Luck - You or another Survivor take no damage after being vomited on by a Boomer.
Akimbo Assassin - Survive an entire campaign using only pistols.
Hero Closet - Rescue a Survivor trapped in a closet.
Hunter Punter - Shove a Hunter off of a pinned and helpless Survivor.
Tongue Twister - Free yourself from a Smoker who has grabbed you with his tongue.
No Smoking Section - Kill 10 Smokers as they are pulling helpless Survivors.
101 Cremations - Set 101 Infected on fire.
Do Not Disturb -Sneak past all Witches in a campaign without disturbing one.
Man vs Tank - Single-handedly kill a Tank.
Tankbusters - Kill a Tank without it dealing any damage to a Survivor.
Safety First - Play an entire campaign with no Survivors taking friendly fire damage.
No-one Left Behind - Beat a campaign with all 4 Survivors.
Unbreakable - Finish a campaign without ever being healed.
Witch Hunter - Kill a Witch without any Survivor taking damage from her.
Red Mist - Kill 1000 Infected with a mounted machine gun.
Pyrotechnician - Blow up 20 Infected in a single explosion.
Zombie Genocidest - Kill 53,595 Infected. (This is a funny playful poke at the Zombie Genocider achievement from Deadrising, where you had to kill 53,594 Zombies)
Dead Giveaway - Heal a fellow Survivor when your own health is below 10.
Stand Tall - Survive a campaign without being incapacitated.
Zombicidal Maniac - Survive any campaign on Expert.
What Are You Trying to Prove? - Survive all campaigns on Expert.
Nothing Special - Survive a campaign with no Survivors taking damage from Special Infected.
Burn the Witch - Light a Witch with a Molotov.
Towering Inferno - Light a Tank with a Molotov.
Spinal Tap - Kill an Infected with a single blow from behind.
Stomach Upset - All Survivors complete a campaign without being vomited on.
Brain Salad - Make 100 headshot kills.
Jump Shot - Headshot a Hunter while he's leaping.
Mercy Killer - Survive the No Mercy campaign.
Back 2 Help - Leave a safe room to save an incapped teammate and bring them back safely.
Toll Collector - Survive the Death Toll campaign.
Dead Baron - Survive the Dead Air campaign.
Grim Reaper - Survive the Blood Harvest campaign.
Ground Cover - Save another Survivor from a Special Infected while on the ground.
Clean Kill - Shove a Boomer and then kill him without him splashing on anyone.
Big Drag - Drag a Survivor 100 feet with your tongue.
Chain Smoker - Constrict two Survivors in one life as a Smoker.
Barf Bagged - Cover four Survivors with Boomer bile at once.
Double Jump - Pounce two different Survivors in one life as a Hunter.
All 4 Dead - Kill all four Survivors in one life while playing as a Tank.
Dead Wreckening - Dole out 5000 total Survivor damage as a Special Infected.
Lamb 2 Slaughter - As an Infected, incap a Survivor who has entered and left a safe room

Left 4 Dead Intro (Movie) - (Youtube Link)
ezn2ud.jpg

Left 4 Dead TV Spot

● Videos
16 Minute Cam Gameplay (Good Quality, Watch it!)
Left 4 Dead Infected Teamwork (Awesome)
G4TV - All Access: Left 4 Dead - Michael Booth Interview (VS Mode Explanation)
Eurogamer Expo - Left 4 Dead - Hospital Gameplay
Chet Faliszek PAX 2008: Left 4 Dead Interview
GC 08 Gabe Newell Walkthrough
GC 08 Gabe Newell Walkthrough 2
E3 08 New Character Design Presentation
360 Splitscreen Trainyard Gameplay
360 Splitscreen Cornyard Gameplay

● Previews & Impressions
L4D Preview, Blood Harvest Expert Footage (Highly recommended)
RPS - Eight Hands-on: Left 4 Dead Impressions
Hands-on Impressions of the Playable Zombies in Versus Mode
Left 4 Dead Pre-orders Outpace Orange Box (Over 65%)
PCGP Episode #153: Most Valuable Zombie
Gamepro - Hands-On: Left 4 Dead (Includes Pretty Good video)
Left 4 Dead Interview: Versus Mode, Demo Details, and the Joy of Vomit (Lombardi)
Left 4 Dead’’s Lead Designer Explains Why Split-Screen Has Quietly Disappeared From Games
Prima Games Author Blog - Left 4 Dead Impressions (Author of Strategy Guide)
Nick Breckon - Calling It - I may as well declare what some already know: Left 4 Dead is going to be a major fucking hit!
Nukoda - Left 4 Dead was the best demo on the show floor at PAX, because it's easily the best multiplayer I've ever experienced.
Gamervision - Honestly, I feel like this could be the first multiplayer shooter I obsess over since Halo.
Destructoid - Left 4 Dead is going to be wonderfully horrifying
The Escapist - PAX 2008: Left 4 Dead Hands-On and Q&A
TalkingAboutGames.com - I've never played a game that pushed me to the edge of my seat for 60 straight minutes.
1UP - Left 4 Dead for Xbox 360 Using Dedicated Servers on Live
Valve Says Left 4 Dead’ Is Studio’s Best-Received Game Ever, Splurges On Ads.

● Reviews
OXM 9.5/10

● Zombie Books, Movies & Games 28 Weeks Later is nowhere near as good as 28 Days Later, but I included it for completions sake. These are the only two zombie movies with the fast style infected, rather than George Romero's Haitian Voodoo inspired slow undead ghouls. 28 Days Later reimagined zombie movies by having a more plausible premise. Humans were infected by a virus transported through a chimpanzee attack, a mutation of a inhibitor that regulated anger and control that had the opposite effect, uncontrollable rage. The virus was highly contagious, and could be spread through saliva, as well as blood. This is the style zombie that influenced Left 4 Dead.
r02yvo.jpg
2zrl1jp.jpg
517pcp.jpg
2lkxz5z.jpg
95sg3b.jpg
a4yd5l.jpg

28vsnkx.jpg
fp02g9.jpg
2eqgs1y.jpg
6iwh9h.jpg
2dchesx.jpg
optr2e.jpg

28 Weeks Later / 28 Days Later (2 pack) (Trailer)
Dawn Of The Dead
The Zombie Survival Guide
World War Z
Shaun Of The Dead
Night Of The Living Dead
Day Of The Dead
Day By Day Armageddon
Deadrising
Resident Evil (Remake)
Dawn Of the Dead (Remake)
Quarantine

● In The Meantime, Try
CSS Zombie Mod (Mod Files, Server Side Download. Simply Join a ZM server. CS is L4D's cousin.)
65s7rq.jpg

● Links
Valve
L4D
Steam - Left 4 Dead
Steam
Left4Dead411
Official Left 4 Dead Blog
Fangoria Contest - Left 4 Dead: I Should Have Been a Zombie in this Game!
Dude Where's My Thumb Contest (Win a PC)
Left 4 Dead In Times Square
Halflife2.net
Left 4 Dead Official Steam Group
Left 4 Dead LEGO
Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.
Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread
Official STEAM thread of announcements, updates and WIN.
The Left 4 Dead thread of information and HOLY CRAP ZOMBIES THEY'RE EVERYWHERE

Chinner

Banned
for some reasons my friends want to play as a the girl but i want to play as lous because he reminds me of ben from night of the living dead and he was cool

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Brilliant, hope I can play with some GAFfers

And cool "influntial media" section, nice touch.

Edit:
Louis - Assistant Manager of an electronic convenience store (Best Buy?, Circuit City?)

Wow, way to play the crowd. I hope the sequel has someone who's obbsseed with Manga, someone who lives in their mom's basement and a college drop-out.

Volcynika

Prime crotch said:
I doubt we get to choose who to be, but if we can I'll play as Bill as many times as I can.

I'm surprised if the random thing is true and we don't get to pick who we are at least, it'd be nice to have it as an option.

Volcynika said:
I'm surprised if the random thing is true and we don't get to pick who we are at least, it'd be nice to have it as an option.
Eh, random seems better than choosing, imagine the pre-game lobby bitching that would occur before each match. You know there's going to be one character everyone's gonna fight over.

saelz8

mjc said:
Is the demo coming to XBLA, or how do I get my hands on it?
Yeah, it is.

You preorder at Gamestop and get early access on the 6th, or you wait until the 11th.

(They will give you a download code if you preorder)

Volcynika

MaritalWheat said:
Eh, random seems better than choosing, imagine the pre-game lobby bitching that would occur before each match. You know there's going to be one character everyone's gonna fight over.

Yeah, I could get that, but if you're playing with a lot of friends, you could maybe decide beforehand or something. I have some friends getting the game, and we've all picked our characters we'd like to play as.

kennah

I'm sure this game is going to cause me to fail a course or two. And I still haven't decided what system to get it for!

Volcynika said:
Yeah, I could get that, but if you're playing with a lot of friends, you could maybe decide beforehand or something. I have some friends getting the game, and we've all picked our characters we'd like to play as.
Show off. Not all of us have friends you know. :lol Point taken though.

mjc

saelz8 said:
Yeah, it is.

You preorder at Gamestop and get early access on the 6th, or you wait until the 11th.

(They will give you a download code if you preorder)

Ah, thanks.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'm guessing it's context sensitive, like TF2 when you shout Spy while facing a Medic it shouts that the medic is a spy.

saelz8

Fallout-NL said:
And... there's 4000?
Ah, I see how you got confused. My bad.

There are over 4000 lines of recorded dialogue, not voice commands.

Only a handful of voice commands.

Wheel 1: Ready?, Thank you, I'm with you, No, Where Are You?, Sorry, *$@#, Yes, You're Welcome

Wheel 2: Look!, I hear a Tank, I hear a Witch, I hear a Hunter, Clear, Be Careful, Hurrah!, I hear a Boomer, I hear a Smoker

Wheel 3: Help!, Let's Go, Hurry!, Cover me!, Lights Out!, Watch Behind, Follow Me, Stay Together!, You Take the Lead

Source

YYZ

Fallout-NL said:
And... there's 4000?
I believe there are over 9000 now.

Few people actually seriously use the voice chat in TF2, the mic is much better. In CSS, the voice commands are pretty useful, different pace of game I guess. I think the mic will be much better in L4D, but there seems to be slower moments in the game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Smokin' hot. I wonder if they will bother with new survivors down the line to spice things up?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Nice job on the thread.

Already pre-purchased on steam, not sure what it actually cost me due to the shitty dollar, to scared to check my bank account :lol

mittelos

Awesome official thread! 360 version preordered, can't wait for the demo next week. Wait, I just realized the demo hits the day before Gears 2. Lord help me.

Costanza

Banned
Preordered the 360 version a couple days ago from Amazon. $52 shipped overnight :D

I didn't realize there was an early 360 demo though.. now I kinda want to switch my preorder to Gamestop.

painey

I want this, but I fear after the initial release, full 4 player co-op play is going to either be hard to find, or full of elitist assholes who dont appreciate a noob trying to enjoy the game, and no way can I justify paying full price for this game now with all these bigger releases

Proc

Costanza said:
Preordered the 360 version a couple days ago from Amazon. $52 shipped overnight :D

I didn't realize there was an early 360 demo though.. now I kinda want to switch my preorder to Gamestop.

just pre-order it from them and don't pick it up. use the credit on something else :)

ice cream

Banned
Great thread. Why isn't this game getting MASSIVE amounts of hype from people on GAF? It's Valve for Christs sake!

Anyway, I preordered on PC, but I'm wonderin if I should've done it on 360...

painey said:
I want this, but I fear after the initial release, full 4 player co-op play is going to either be hard to find, or full of elitist assholes who dont appreciate a noob trying to enjoy the game, and no way can I justify paying full price for this game now with all these bigger releases

Bigger releases you say? For those in the know, this is the biggest release :p. It's Valve for God's sake.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i only diss on PC gaming because i'm too poor to afford a decent rig and even if i could afford it i'm too stupid to get things running as they should :D

With the ATi 4850 pc gaming is cheap again. And the source engine doesn't need any tuning for it to run beautifully.

JSnake

Pre-ordered the game off STEAM as soon as it was available. Can't wait, easily my second most hyped game of '08.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i only diss on PC gaming because i'm too poor to afford a decent rig and even if i could afford it i'm too stupid to get things running as they should :D

Well I dont diss on PC gaming, but I know how you feel

Pre-ordered the 360 version this past week and I can't freaking wait for the demo. I have no classes that day, and I'm off from work.

Your requirements are a little off, but otherwise great thread. Valve downgraded the requirements to 128 megs for the video card.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55477

CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)
RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
Disc drive: DVD-ROM Drive
Hard drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
Video: Direct X 9 compatible video card - Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0 (ATI 9600 or high. Or, Nvidia 6600 or higher)
Sound: Direct X9.0c compatible sound card

Can you set friendly fire to one-shot-kill? It would be cool to play with friends under this setting. Maybe even with setting damage by zombies to maximum.

Already pre-ordered on Amazon for 40 Bucks (PC FTW). Im hoping i can get good visuals on this like I can on TF2 and HL2.
My only worry is that ill be too scared to play this, or I wont like it - thank god for demos or I wouldn't have even considered pre-ordering this.

Guled

can't wait, but got a question. you say the Witch only exists in difficulties above Normal. Is normal and above or just the 2 higher difficulties?

saelz8

Guled said:
can't wait, but got a question. you say the Witch only exists in difficulties above Normal. Is normal and above or just the 2 higher difficulties?
She will only show up in Advanced and Expert difficulty.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
GalacticAE said:
Can you set friendly fire to one-shot-kill? It would be cool to play with friends under this setting. Maybe even with setting damage by zombies to maximum.
I don't know how long you guys would be friends. There would be more betrayals than a soap opera.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
GalacticAE said:
Given how often you have to shoot zombies off eachother I can't imagine that being any fun.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I can't fap to this thread. too few pictures....

Top Bottom