• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

rkenshin

Rlan said:
Shouldn't the idea be to give out the Demo to people who haven't already bought the thing?

It's Valve, I bet they're still bugtesting the game.. No time to make a demo until after it's released

Linkup

Rlan said:
Shouldn't the idea be to give out the Demo to people who haven't already bought the thing?

There will be.

People who Pre-Order will get it earlier though.

Non-Preorderers will get it like a week later.

fallout said:
Official L4D Thread of ... oh, shit. Shit! SHIT! .... SHIT! THEY'RE COMING! ... RUN LIKE HELL!

(and yes, I know tags don't work in titles)
tmaynard said:
I think if we have to add anything we should call it the "Official Left 4 Dead Thread of Run or Shoot" :D
Here's my prototype:
"Official Left 4 Dead Thread of Run or Shoot I Can't Believe We Made It But We Just Crossed The Street"

Akia said:
Should I feel bad about this? My friends and I are planning to go to a cyber cafe to play this game on awesome machines over thanksgiving break. We're probably going to end up playing through the whole game once and Valve isn't going to get $200 out of us. The cyber cafe pays Valve money of course to license their games but I kind of feel like I'm ripping them off. I'm probably going to buy the game at release but I know my friends aren't after we beat it all together.

Don't feel bad.
After 2 days of playing the game and, not managing to finish it and it being amazingly awesome, your friends will buy it any way.

BobJustBob said:
After the way the 360 version of TF2 was treated? Not very likely.
Good thing Valve was smart enough to hire another company to handle the 360 version, then.

Besides, plenty of people are still playing Team Fortress 2 on the Xbox 360, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Left 4 Dead port turned out to perform relatively successful (sales-wise of course) on consoles as well. Especially given the marketing boost this game received.

Does anyone know if the pre-order demo code from Gamestop applies in Europe? We have Gamestop in Ireland I'd love to be playing this sooner.

Volcynika

I think the OP should point out (might have missed it when I skimmed it that) Everyone gets a demo. People that pre-order get to start playing the demo November 6th, while the people that don't can join in starting on November 11th. Both 360 and PC version demos will be available.

Because the thread has a handful of people that aren't exactly understanding the deal with the demo. :p

I gotta play my demo on the 6th though. With Gears 2 hitting on the 7th I want to play the hell out of the L4D demo on the 6th.:D

I'm still trying to finish up Far Cry 2 and grind some achievements out of Fable 2 before Gears 2 hits, so I can wait until the following week for the demo I guess.

Akia

Kamakazie! said:
Don't feel bad.
After 2 days of playing the game and, not managing to finish it and it being amazingly awesome, your friends will buy it any way.

I'm pretty sure we're going to get through it. The cafe is open for like +12 hours and an all day pass is like $12. We're probably going to finish it twice.

outsidah

Even though my PC can run it perfectly (and I am aware of the TF2 support the 360 version of that game received)... I will be getting it for the 360.

I've been enjoying playing stuff on it much more lately than on the PC...

Raide

Well, at least I know there are plenty of like-minded Zombie hunters out there to play with. :D

Just re-reading the Zombie Survival Guide book, just in case.

Akia

Llyranor said:
On easy, sure.

Probably on Normal first and we'll move onto Hard for the second run. It will be much easier to play co-op with one another if you could just talk/yell at the person instead of using voice chat. Not to mention being able to physically beat on people who friendly fire too much. I think its going to be fun as hell.

firex

man, good to know that the highest difficulty is what the "beat the campaign" achievements are for. I was afraid Expert was going to be a notch or two below the hardest.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
getting the demo early seems like a contradiction. you've already made up your mind about the game so why get to play a demo before everyone else?

is this valve trying to be like google with "beta" status? I mean google made "beta" the new "stable" and "alpha" the new "beta". is valve trying to redefine the purpose of pre-orders? or are they trying to redefine demos?

I so confused.

otake said:
getting the demo early seems like a contradiction. you've already made up your mind about the game so why get to play a demo before everyone else?

is this valve trying to be like google with "beta" status? I mean google made "beta" the new "stable" and "alpha" the new "beta". is valve trying to redefine the purpose of pre-orders? or are they trying to redefine demos?

I so confused.

For me, there are many games coming out and I don't want to get a game when I won't play it for a while with Gears 2 coming out but I want to try the demo out so that I can get a feel for it, plus if I can play it on the 6th, that means I won't have to stop playing Gears 2 to try it out. Mostly because Gears 2 will take up all of my time.

Long run-on sentence FTW

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well, you need a transaction code to get those keys, so no-go there I think. I think the timed demo thing is stupid too. Give me time to viral market your game valve!!

Jedeye Sniv said:
Well, you need a transaction code to get those keys, so no-go there I think. I think the timed demo thing is stupid too. Give me time to viral market your game valve!!

The trick is to not put in a transaction code.

Slavik81

otake said:
It's to push people who are interested in the game to buy it.

Draft

otake said:

I so confused.
Yup, it's fucking stupid. Doesn't make a damn bit of sense. Demos are ads. You are, in essence, being forced to put money down to see the advertisement for a product. Ridiculous. Next-Gen Gaming.

otake

Slavik81 said:
It's to push people who are interested in the game to buy it.

I know that. It just seems weird that people are falling for it so easily.

Mrbob

I still think the early release for the demo is stupid, but whatever.

I'll be playing the 360 version next Friday (beta) so I'll be happy.

Volcynika

otake said:

Falling for what? People who pre-order it get to play the demo five days earlier than people who don't pay for it. There's no trick or anything to it. If anything, people should learn to have patience if they're so mad about pre-orders getting to play earlier.

otake

Volcynika said:
Falling for what? People who pre-order it get to play the demo five days earlier than people who don't pay for it. There's no trick or anything to it.

your essentially paying for an advertisement for a product you've already decided you're going to buy.

Ferrio

Banned
otake said:
your essentially paying for an advertisement for a product you've already decided you're going to buy.

Which is a good thing right?

I want to buy the item, so I must think it's good. So if they use my money to advertise it to make it successful then it's a double win for me right?

fallout

otake said:
Falling for what? I was going to buy the game anyway. You could argue that this is dumb on Valve's part, but certainly not on the consumer's part.

otake said:
No, you're getting an early chance to play with a game you're set on buying--its not an advertisement when you've already committed to purchasing it. Honestly, since everyone is getting a chance at the demo before the game comes out, I don't understand the big deal, especially because they're also offering deals for pre-ordering.

BigDubs

Apart from Valve being behind this game I don't know why it is receiving so much love. Hoping to be blown away shortly.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
otake said:
No, you're paying to play a version of the game before everyone else. It's just a nice bonus for those who already want to have it on day one.

BigDubs said:
Apart from Valve being behind this game I don't know why it is receiving so much love. Hoping to be blown away shortly.

I'm on your boat. Yeah it'll be a great 4 player game and team work or w/e, but it doesnt seem to have a ton of depth. Someone please prove me wrong.

saelz8

otake said:
You mean, you're getting access to a demo for a product you already purchased, early. I see nothing there to complain about, considering a demo, for everyone, will be released on the 11th. It's an incentivization strategy, and something Valve always does. They have been doing it for years. (Since CS:S in 2004).

saelz8

Saren is Bad said:
I'm on your boat. Yeah it'll be a great 4 player game and team work or w/e, but it doesnt seem to have a ton of depth. Someone please prove me wrong.
It's a 8 player game.

Druz

People will buy it, get to demo it early and release a positive word of mouth. The people on the fence and the curious will plunk down money to see what the fuss is about.

There are plenty of other possible scenarios that doesn't make Valve "fucking stupid."

I'm sure they're wishing they hired a few "experts" from GAF.

Slavik81

otake said:
I plan on buying the game. I get to play the game early if I pay for it early.
So I paid for it early.

Makes sense to me. I don't think I've 'fallen' for anything.

Top Bottom