• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
bob_arctor said:
I just watched Romero's Day Of The Dead last night and all I could think of was Left 4 Dead, especially considering the 3 main protagonists/archetypes. God, what an awesome flick, screw the haters. I am basically entombing myself with everything zombie until the 18th. Just printed out Romero's original screenplay for Day. Gonna watch Dawn tonight. Saw Night on Halloween. And I still need to cop Diary Of The Dead and on a GAF recommendation, read this:

51JxhvRAwQL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I really enjoyed Day by Day Armageddon, but damn if it doesn't have the worst copy editing I've ever seen in my entire life. The most egregious (and funniest) example is the constant misspelling of "pus" as "puss." Reading about packs of zombies "leaking puss" kinda gives the story a whole new dimension, and not in a good way.

The book is definitely worth reading if you're into zombie stories, but if you're in the sub-sub-group of zombie-fans-who-also-happen-to-be-grammar-nazis, your head might explode. I KNOW IT'S THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE AND YOU'RE A LITTLE BUSY, BUT CAN YOU PLEASE SET ASIDE 5 MINUTES TO LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "ITS" AND "IT'S" OR THERE, THEIR, AND THEY'RE!?

It feels good to have gotten that off my chest.

Steam Cloud Launching With Left 4 Dead

The initial release of Steam Cloud will not archive saved games, Valve confirmed with Shacknews, though the promised functionality "is coming."

Along with Left 4 Dead's Steam Cloud implementation, Valve will apply the technology to its back catalog of Steam games and provide the free Steam Cloud toolset to all Steam developers and publishers for widespread implementation.

TheOneGuy said:
I just saw that, too.

Excite!!

Now if only every third party ever would implement Steam Cloud in their games.

Or at least something similar!

Just curious, but why are you excited for it?

I mean, I'm happy Valve is doing it, but do you frequently go to different machines to play your games and thus, Steam Cloud is needed?

Iced_Eagle said:

I mean, I'm happy Valve is doing it, but do you frequently go to different machines to play your games and thus, Steam Cloud is needed?

I do. I have 3 seperate PC's in my house that I log into and play steam games because of various reasons. Steam Cloud is yet another great idea from Valve, the hardcore super dev.

Ferrio

Banned
Iced_Eagle said:

Happens quite frequently over a friend's house. We have several machines up for people who come over to play. So instead of lugging their computer over they can just use one of them.

Twig

Banned
Iced_Eagle said:

I have a laptop and a desktop. I frequently play on either one.

Iced_Eagle said:

I go to cyber cafes. This is perfect!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
hey I'm as pumped for this game as the next guy in this thread but this demo things just seems stupid. It would have made more sense a month ago but 2 weeks? really?

not that it matters anyway and I believe this is the first time where the "cloud" is being used in a way that actually matters and makes sense. praise be to valve.

TheOneGuy said:
I have a laptop and a desktop. I frequently play on either one.

Alright cool, just checking! :D

I just hate it when people go "IM SO FUCKING PUMPED" and then they have no reason to be excited :lol

The one scenario actually that I just realized this will be awesome for is when moving OS' on the PC... Think about it. You are using XP now let's say. Next week you decide to upgrade to L4D. No longer will you have to worry about backing up your config's and saved games when changing OS'.

So that's basically the only scenario that will be used by me, and since I'm a tester for an OS, it happens every few months :lol

Twig

Banned
Iced_Eagle said:
Alright cool, just checking! :D

I just hate it when people go "IM SO FUCKING PUMPED" and then they have no reason to be excited :lol

The one scenario actually that I just realized this will be awesome for is when moving OS' on the PC... Think about it. You are using XP now let's say. Next week you decide to upgrade to L4D. No longer will you have to worry about backing up your config's and saved games when changing OS'.

So that's basically the only scenario that will be used by me, and since I'm a tester for an OS, it happens every few months :lol
I also do fresh installs of Windows every now and then. I just don't like all the clutter that inevitably builds up. Having that stuff automagically backed up for me online is much better than having to hunt down all the save files for myself. O:

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Should I be excited for this is game even if I plan on playing it for the sp "story mode" only (without any co-op)?

Because the videos were right up my ally, I'd be a sad pand otherwise

Dash Kappei said:
Should I be excited for this is game even if I plan on playing it for the sp "story mode" only (without any co-op)?

Because the videos were right up my ally, I'd be a sad pand otherwise
I think it'd still be decent fun, from all I've heard the friendly AI is quite competent. If you love zombies you'll probably have plenty of fun.

mandiller

Saved games are not stored by Steam Cloud. It is a planned feature but it will not be available with Left 4 Dead on launch.

Did Valve finish all the short movies for each campaign? Or is it like the "Meet The..." videos? I remember hearing that a European rating board had to go through 45 minutes of cut scenes, but I don't remember if that was a misunderstanding or not.

edit
Nevermind: http://kotaku.com/5043897/left-4-dead-to-be-cut-scene-free
So the intro released already is the only "cut scene" in the game.

..can't wait to go through their commentary.

Akia

I bought both:

1z4vqpw.jpg
cuipv.jpg

I plan on reading them both over the next week to ease the wait until the 11th. I'll probably re-watch Shaun of the Dead again before L4D hits as well. I just read the Marvel Zombies tradeback last week. Needless to say ZOMBIE OVERLOAD!!!

Mr.City

I just watched the intro movie. Holy wow. I'm really considering preordering this game off of this game. However, my new pc is forcing to ease off the big spending right now. I'm debating if I should throw caution to the wind or wait til black friday to pick this one up.

Twig

Banned
Jirotrom said:
hey guys can you point me to some good pc gaming headphones? do 5.1 headphones really work?
They work amazingly well. It's fucking amazing.

I don't have any but I've used some before. I need to buy some NOW.

Amazing.

Akia said:
I plan on reading them both over the next week to ease the wait until the 11th. I'll probably re-watch Shaun of the Dead again before L4D hits as well. I just read the Marvel Zombies tradeback last week. Needless to say ZOMBIE OVERLOAD!!!
This guy came to my school for Halloween.

I didn't go because I think the books are kinda boring through.

Draft

IMO 5.1 headphones are a gimmick.

First, how do you get a 5.1 headphone? Isn't the .1 a sub? Headphone, surround or otherwise, don't have no damn sub in it.

Second, putting a bunch of extra drivers in each can doesn't have what I'd consider an appreciable affect on positional audio. The drivers are just too close to your ear when the sound originates.

Any sort of spatial information conveyed via sound is going to come from the sound itself, not from the headphones playing it. To that end, I recommend getting the highest quality pair of cans you can afford, rather than a 5.1 or surround sound pair.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jirotrom said:
hey guys can you point me to some good pc gaming headphones? do 5.1 headphones really work?
There was a headphone thread floating around here awhile ago. The consensus was to skip the gimmicky 5.1 phones (or make your own) and just get a decent set of cans and a receiver with Dolby Headphone (or the equivalent). I think the Beyerdynamic DT770-80 Pro got the most recommendations, followed closely by the Sennheiser HD-555 and HD-280. I hear the Sennheiser HD-202's are nice if you don't want to spend a bill on some headphones. Personally, I would invest the majority of your audio budget into a decent receiver.

Draft

Before you go buying a headphone driver, just drop like $60 on some Grado SR-60s or comparable Senns. No reason to go from $0 to $300 on headphones, when there are super good $50-$75 options available to you.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Akia said:
I bought both:

1z4vqpw.jpg
cuipv.jpg

Good for you man.

I'd personally start the guide first, then the book.

Both are excellent.

aeolist

Banned
SapientWolf said:
There was a headphone thread floating around here awhile ago. The consensus was to skip the gimmicky 5.1 phones (or make your own) and just get a decent set of cans and a receiver with Dolby Headphone (or the equivalent). I think the Beyerdynamic DT770-80 Pro got the most recommendations, followed closely by the Sennheiser HD-555 and HD-280. I hear the Sennheiser HD-202's are nice if you don't want to spend a bill on some headphones. Personally, I would invest the majority of your audio budget into a decent receiver.
I'm using Sennheiser HD-555s with an Astrogaming Mixamp that uses Dolby Headphone

Best computer purchase I've made in years, games sound amazing

Twig

Banned
Oh. Well I am ignorant in the way of headphones, and I have no problem admitting as much. I just know I used my friend's 5.1 headphones once and they were worlds above anything I'd used before.

Granted, I've never owned an actual GOOD pair of headphones. So HEY.

*reads the headphones thread*

Hazaro said:
Good for you man.

I'd personally start the guide first, then the book.

Both are excellent.
The guide's excellence is debatable, but I decided to give Brooks another chance with WWZ and so far its been quite good, the personal experience approach he takes is wonderful; anyways, I really want to get my hands on a copy of Day by Day Armageddon but my local library system fails :(

Jirotrom

aeolist said:
I'm using Sennheiser HD-555s with an Astrogaming Mixamp that uses Dolby Headphone

Best computer purchase I've made in years, games sound amazing
Im not to knowledgeable in this but what is the mix amp for exactly?

Vormund

Anyone playing the Zombie Panic! mod atm? Having a bit of fun with it actually :D Available to anyone who has a Source engine game.

Akia

260y7bn.jpg

I'm also going to catch up on The Walking Dead comic. I think I last stopped at Issue 50. Earlier this year, I picked up all 3 hardcover books on Amazon after it was recommended by Shawn Elliot and Jeff Green on The Brodeo. Suffice to say it was the best 3 day entertainment experience all year. I should've listened to that gaffer that told me to take it slow :(

1gkwie.jpg

The experience was kind of like buying a couple seasons of a TV Show you didn't know too much about. But when you actually start watching the show it ends up devouring all of your free time by being completely awesome. I ended up in this fiendish state of rapid reading until I ran out of material. I enjoyed every minute of it. The Walking Dead is a highly recommended series for any zombie enthusiast. I can't praise it enough. On the plus side, if you get into it now it will consume you until the Left 4 Dead hits guaranteed. Win/Win.

28jfgqe.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MaritalWheat said:
The guide's excellence is debatable, but I decided to give Brooks another chance with WWZ and so far its been quite good, the personal experience approach he takes is wonderful; anyways, I really want to get my hands on a copy of Day by Day Armageddon but my local library system fails :(

Well it's one of the few books I own :lol

I saw it one day and read a few pages and decided I must have it.

I liked the way he addressed many things, and WWZ was very well done in that aspect as well.

Day by Day Armageddon sounds fantastic as well.

mandiller

Alright I just went ahead and pre-purchased L4D through Steam. I was waiting for the Australian dollar to rebound a little so it was cheaper but it looks like that isn't going to happen in time (There was a big interest rates cut today which forced our dollar down). Thought I'd pre-order it before there's worse damage.

batbeg

I'm somewhat interested in this game as my girlfriend loves zombie shit, and we love co-op gaming. With absolutely no internet gaming being possible, does anyone think this would be worth getting into for just a co-op playthrough? I saw a vid on IGN and... didn't really understand what was going on :lol

ThaiGrocer said:
All this talk about Zombies has triggered an ad for Zombie Strippers.:lol

http://i37.tinypic.com/fv9t8l.png

I bought this the other day on the cheap :D Best part of it being my friend who somehow never made the connection that the strippers... would become zombies :lol
As terrible as I thought it'd be.

Zzoram

mandiller said:
Alright I just went ahead and pre-purchased L4D through Steam. I was waiting for the Australian dollar to rebound a little so it was cheaper but it looks like that isn't going to happen in time (There was a big interest rates cut today which forced our dollar down). Thought I'd pre-order it before there's worse damage.

I'm also waiting on the Canadian dollar to see how it moves in the coming days, to get the best deal on a Steam pre-order.

My RSS feed has pried me away from work to announce that RPS has just posted a hands-on impression of L4D. Good times.
We have killed so many zombies in a single day that it seems improbable, even impossible: over 11,000. We are, of course, playing Left 4 Dead. Beneath the cut we have the first-impressions of each of the four RPS editors. It’s been a long, noisy day of gaming. When we close our eyes, all we can see are burning zombies.
Click on the linky for more.

Happy voting everyone!

Top Bottom