• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

Draft

saelz8 said:
You mean, you're getting access to a demo for a product you already purchased, early. I see nothing there to complain about, considering a demo, for everyone, will be released on the 11th. It's an incentivization strategy, and something Valve always does. They have been doing it for years. (Since CS:S in 2004).
No, they used to give you betas. Betas are sweet. Betas are incentivization. This? Bullshit.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I'm sure we would all have loved them to do the "open beta that is actually the full game" pre-order bonus again like with TF2, but there's no reason to expect that. Keep in mind that TF2 didn't have a demo at all, maybe Valve just didn't want to deal with two different preview versions.

They are releasing a demo of the game one week before it comes out. People who pre-order get that demo a couple days earlier. I don't understand where people are finding anything to bitch about.

Draft

I'm not bitching so much as pointing out that it is stupid to limit access to a demo. Demos get people to buy games. The more people who enjoy the demo, the more people buy the game.

Making the demo a timed exclusive for people who are already excited enough about the game to preorder doesn't make sense, unless you are Gabe Fucking Newell, EA Company Man, and you have a large, legendary PC game developer hard on for breaking some sort of preorder record.

Twig

Banned
While I do not share Draft's, um, vicious vitriol...

It is pretty dumb to give early access to a demo. I bought it regardless because I Know I Want It. But still. It's a silly thing.

I would have bought it even if there was no early demo. 10% off! Not to mention preloading the game.

I wonder if there would be any technical issues if everyone was able to access the demo on Nov. 6th... you know, in terms of quality assurance. It would make sense that they're doing early access before going prime time with their new IP. It's a nice strategy, otherwise this game wouldn't have been slightly delayed if something wasn't necessary before release. Just guessing...

So early access people, tell us how much valve wants you to feedback on day 1 of demo early release!

Boonoo

But the early access is just a treat for the people that pre-ordered. It's there to get the people excited about the game even more excited (and to get those hesitant about pre-ordering (not hesitant about buying) to pre-order). That way the buzz will be all the louder when the real demo (for people truly on the fence) comes out on the eleventh.

Ferrio

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
While I do not share Draft's, um, vicious vitriol...

It is pretty dumb to give early access to a demo. I bought it regardless because I Know I Want It. But still. It's a silly thing.

I would have bought it even if there was no early demo. 10% off! Not to mention preloading the game.

Why is it stupid? Just because the name "Demo", we could rename it "Sneak peek" weekend and oh holy shit all would be better.

Twig

Banned
Ferrio said:
Why is it stupid? Just because the name "Demo", we could rename it "Sneak peek" weekend and oh holy shit all would be better.
Why are you taking so much offense because I stated my opinion?

It's an almost entirely worthless thing to offer as a preorder bonus. Early access to a demo, oh boy. A sneak peak is still a demo. Don't start arguing semantics. Makes you look desparate. O_O

But it doesn't detract from the value of the game. So um. Wat? I very clearly said it didn't really bother me.

Besides, worthless preorder bonuses are better than worthwhile preorder bonuses. Preorder bonuses are fucking stupid altogether.

Ferrio

Banned
TheOneGuy said:

It's an almost entirely worthless thing to offer as a preorder bonus. Early access to a demo, oh boy. A sneak peak is still a demo. Don't start arguing semantics. Makes you look desparate. O_O

But it doesn't detract from the value of the game. So um. Wat? I very clearly said it didn't really bother me.

Besides, worthless preorder bonuses are better than worthwhile preorder bonuses. Preorder bonuses are fucking stupid altogether.

There is the whole 5 dollars off thing. Ya it isn't much but I rarely see preordered games go for less than release date.

Twig

Banned
Ferrio said:
There is the whole 5 dollars off thing. Ya it isn't much but I rarely see preordered games go for less than release date.
You have completely thrown me for a loop and I have no idea what's going on anymore.

Except that yeah obviously I'm all for special preorder discounts. ;-;

I need that demo to see which version I should get :D . I tried doing the code thing from the EB website for both...hopefully it works.

TheOneGuy said:
It's an almost entirely worthless thing to offer as a preorder bonus. Early access to a demo, oh boy.

You're buying the game. So they say, hey thanks, here's a piece of it to tide you over until release.

You get to play the game two weeks before it comes out. How exactly is that worthless?

Twig

Banned
BobJustBob said:
You're buying the game. So they say, hey thanks, here's a piece of it to tide you over until release.

You get to play the game two weeks before it comes out. How exactly is that worthless?
Bliblibliblibliblibliblib.

l2read kthx

Reikon

Geez, people can complain about anything. Just rename the demo in your head as beta and you won't have anything to bitch about.

Consider it like MMOs. People who preorder get early access to the beta. Open beta comes later for everyone else. The L4D demo even ends when the game comes out, just like a MMO beta.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Reikon said:
Geez, people can complain about anything. Just rename the demo in your head as beta and you won't have anything to bitch about.

Consider it like MMOs. People who preorder get early access to the beta. Open beta comes later for everyone else. The L4D demo even ends when the game comes out, just like a MMO beta.
Yeah, the thing is we're just getting a small slice of the game. If it were a beta, we'd be getting a substantial portion, if not, all of the game.

Reikon

fallengorn said:
Yeah, the thing is we're just getting a small slice of the game. If it were a beta, we'd be getting a substantial portion, if not, all of the game.

I don't see many MMO betas giving you the whole game or even most of it. They usually have a relatively low level cap. The only betas that usually give you most or all of the game are the really early closed ones.

Look at the CoD: WaW beta. It was a preorder bonus for the 360 and the PC with a limited amount of maps. I don't see anybody complaining the preorder bonus is just a beta.

zoku88

I know where you're coming from, Twig, when some games come with artbooks and stuff.

I want to see more half-tuck :p

dLMN8R

They mentioned that the demo would have part of one of the campaigns - I'm guessing 2-3 maps of one of the 5-map campaigns. It will *not* included the versus mode, just the co-op mode.

Slavik81

TheOneGuy said:

It's an almost entirely worthless thing to offer as a preorder bonus.
Really not. I bought it yesterday for the demo.
My impression has been that it's going to be the same thing as TF2's early release but less buggy and with more limited content.

senahorse

dLMN8R said:
They mentioned that the demo would have part of one of the campaigns - I'm guessing 2-3 maps of one of the 5-map campaigns. It will *not* included the versus mode, just the co-op mode.

Great, that's (co-op) what I am most interested in trying out first.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Draft said:
I'm not bitching so much as pointing out that it is stupid to limit access to a demo. Demos get people to buy games. The more people who enjoy the demo, the more people buy the game.

Making the demo a timed exclusive for people who are already excited enough about the game to preorder doesn't make sense, unless you are Gabe Fucking Newell, EA Company Man, and you have a large, legendary PC game developer hard on for breaking some sort of preorder record.
It makes perfect sense for all the same reasons as any other pre-order perk. It's one more incentive for people to pre-order, which benefits Valve, both by putting money in their pockets immediately and by ensuring that the players don't spoil their appetite with the demo and not feel like buying the retail game anymore. If you operate on the assumption that they would have released the demo earlier if not for this deal then sure it's a cheap trick, but that's business. One week is plenty long enough for undecided players to try out the demo and make up their mind.

firex

BobJustBob said:
Oh, you're a troll. My mistake.
He's just a person who'll always find a way to bitch so he can turn the forum against him. Why else do you think the first rule of GAF TF2 is "kill Twig"?

Twig

Banned
firex said:
He's just a person who'll always find a way to bitch so he can turn the forum against him. Why else do you think the first rule of GAF TF2 is "kill Twig"?
FUCK YOU VALVE FOR OFFERING THIS STUPID WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT PREORDER INCENTIVE. I GIVE YOU MY FUCKING HARD EARNED CASH EARLIER THAN I NEED TO AND THIS IS ALL YOU CAN DO TO THANK ME FOR IT? JUMP OFF A BRIDGE, BUT DON'T DROWN. NO, YOU TRY TO DROWN AND FAIL BECAUSE THAT'S HOW WORTHLESS YOU ARE. THEN A BOAT HITS YOU AND YOU EXPLODE. DICKS.

TheOneGuy said:
FUCK YOU VALVE FOR OFFERING THIS STUPID WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT PREORDER INCENTIVE. I GIVE YOU MY FUCKING HARD EARNED CASH EARLIER THAN I NEED TO AND THIS IS ALL YOU CAN DO TO THANK ME FOR IT? JUMP OFF A BRIDGE, BUT DON'T DROWN. NO, YOU TRY TO DROWN AND FAIL BECAUSE THAT'S HOW WORTHLESS YOU ARE. THEN A BOAT HITS YOU AND YOU EXPLODE. DICKS.
:lol I'm starting to think that someone hijacked your account. Nobody would be this angry at a game. Seriously.
(<-- don't forget to vote tomorrow, Nov 4)
anyway, let's focus on the topic here. L4D411 dropped a giant assload of goodies for us to view! There's a ten minute video from PotentialGamer.

Won

ThaiGrocer said:
anyway, let's focus on the topic here. L4D411 dropped a giant assload of goodies for us to view! There's a ten minute video from PotentialGamer.

:lol @ german box art. Now with 25% more fingers! Left 5 Dead!

14y73pc.jpg

Why even bother releasing games in that country? They obviously don't want them.

The German box art will feature a temporary "low violence cover" in some retailers during the Christmas shopping season. It's the box art but with a thumb, and is super duper awesome. The German version of Left 4 Dead will also feature green blood and no helpless enemies (zombies sitting or lying). Community member Dead Fish found a couple German previews with a picture of the Blood Harvest movie poster, 21 screenshots, pictures of Valve, and news that Bill will be voiced by the German voice actor of Dr. House.

Wow, that's really lame, and it sounds game changing.

saelz8

BuddhaRockstar said:
Wow, that's really lame, and it sounds game changing.
Yeah, that is pretty dumb. The reason you see infected sitting down and laying around is because they are tired, starving, and thirsty.

In 28 Days Later, near the end, you see infected crawling slowly on the ground, and another laying down against a stone bridge, both dying. It's the reason Major West was keeping Mailer chained up. He wanted to see how long it would take for him to starve.

dankir said:
Is there a collectors edition for the 360/PS3 ?
None

Won said:

14y73pc.jpg

Why even bother releasing games in that country? They obviously don't want them.

We love our violence and gore in America, so we get 4 fingers instead of 5. :D

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Won said:

14y73pc.jpg

It's not the german box art. The boxart looks exactly like the US one. The art with the fifth finger is on a cardboard sleeve around the box. Underneath is the "real" one.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Darn Exchange rate, will cost me £32 to buy on Steam even with the 5$ discount, or £23 if I buy it from a store.

I wanted to get this on PC but after deliberation with my friends, I think it's best to pick it up on 360 for the social aspects....BUT, what's worrying me is future updates (gameplay modes, characters, maps, etc.) I'm likely gonna have to end up paying for that ish if I get it on 360, whereas it would be free on PC. Did Valve and M$ ever come to an agreement on that? How were TF2 updates handled?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I just watched Romero's Day Of The Dead last night and all I could think of was Left 4 Dead, especially considering the 3 main protagonists/archetypes. God, what an awesome flick, screw the haters. I am basically entombing myself with everything zombie until the 18th. Just printed out Romero's original screenplay for Day. Gonna watch Dawn tonight. Saw Night on Halloween. And I still need to cop Diary Of The Dead and on a GAF recommendation, read this:

51JxhvRAwQL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.jpg

JSnake said:
On 360? They uh, weren't.

No, they are going to update it.

But since there's a hell of a lot of content, MS imposes size limtations, and other politics they will have to charge.

So they are waiting for a bit to make sure there's a ton of content, and then people can pay $10 for an "expansion pack". I thought I remember them saying it would be out by this XMas, but maybe not.

The 360 will get the updates, just certainly not as quick as PC (ie, they could come a year later).

PC is where it's at, especially with the custom maps people will make! :D

bob_arctor said:
I just watched Romero's Day Of The Dead last night and all I could think of was Left 4 Dead, especially considering the 3 main protagonists/archetypes. God, what an awesome flick, screw the haters. I am basically entombing myself with everything zombie until the 18th. Just printed out Romero's original screenplay for Day. Gonna watch Dawn tonight. Saw Night on Halloween. And I still need to cop Diary Of The Dead and on a GAF recommendation, read this:

51JxhvRAwQL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.jpg
definitely check out dead set then

Top Bottom