• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Best iOS Games of All Time

POWERSPHERE said:
It's funny, people are so dismissive of iOS gaming, but will look back at this period as some kind of golden dawn of casual, fun and highly versitile portable gaming. Like how I look back in the feeling of when Game and Watches and gameboys first launched, but way better.

I dismissed it at first, then a few years ago my brother bought a ipod touch and let me mess with it once and I was hooked. Even back then the games were rather simple for the most part but now it has really blossomed into the only handheld device I love to play games on.

I missed the voting too. :(

My pick for best iOS game is Game Dev Story anyway. I wish I could play a desktop version or something.

Thanks to this thread I found out about games I never knew before!

By the way Drop 7 is pretty fantastic. I was confused at first but after understanding how to play, it's brilliantly addictive! Simple yet complex and hard to master but easy to play, which is, IMO, how puzzle games should be. That's so hard to come up with. It takes a stroke of genius for that to happen.

Also, Sword & Poker 2 is awesome!

JonCha

Picked up Scribblenauts. It's a really neat game, though something I can only play for about 20 minutes at a time.

wondermega

It's funny, people are so dismissive of iOS gaming, but will look back at this period as some kind of golden dawn of casual, fun and highly versitile portable gaming. Like how I look back in the feeling of when Game and Watches and gameboys first launched, but way better.

It's absolutely a great time in gaming history right now (across the board!) and I never would have seen it coming.

nyong

Banned
My favorite game BY FAR is Jetpack. Great graphics on an iPad 2 and super challenging. I only have one mission left, then it's time to mop up the achievements.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if this is the future of gaming I'll be perfectly happy. I've only had my pad for a couple of weeks but I'm hooked.

Number45

My favorite game BY FAR is Jetpack. Great graphics on an iPad 2 and super challenging. I only have one mission left, then it's time to mop up the achievements.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if this is the future of gaming I'll be perfectly happy. I've only had my pad for a couple of weeks but I'm hooked.

Jetpack Joyride? Is there an actual last mission then? I assumed it just looped and looped (I was at 74 before my save reset).

I'm very late to the show, but thanks to everyone that voted on Hypership Out of Control. With all the great games on iOS, coming in at 54th best is quite an accomplishment.

MasLegio

Banned

well, bitter hardcore gamers are not a fun crowd overall. We cannot expect much from "those people".

Okay, I finally got around to picking up an iPhone 4S and I'm in the market for awesome/free games. After paying for the phone and some accessories, I literally only had enough cash left over to buy 'Cut the Rope' (fucking amazing) and 'Angry Birds' (really fun, but holy shit, so overhyped).

I'm looking beyond "lite" versions of full games, and I want some straight-up full, free games. I downloaded 'Tiny Tower' and am currently obsessing over it. Did a search on Gaf and didn't come up with anything besides the 'Army of Darkness' thread (downloading right now)...

Any other suggestions?

edit: just discovered that 'Army of Darkness' is an iPad-only game. Goddamnit. Also, Google searches are just giving me lame "top freemium iOs games" with crap suggestions like 'Paper Toss'. Fuck's sake, I want something with a little more substance than just dully swiping my finger once.

Pro Zombie Soccer is an awe-inspiring game.

Urgh...that does look awesome. But if I drop $.99 on that, and then another awesome $.99 game comes along and I just HAVE to buy it...and then another one...and then just one more...and I'm still waiting two weeks for my next paycheck...and I can't pay the bills on time because I kept finding kick-ass $.99 games...WHERE DOES IT END!?

xHAASx

Banned
Urgh...that does look awesome. But if I drop $.99 on that, and then another awesome $.99 game comes along and I just HAVE to buy it...and then another one...and then just one more...and I'm still waiting two weeks for my next paycheck...and I can't pay the bills on time because I kept finding kick-ass $.99 games...WHERE DOES IT END!?

At whatever time you have the chance to play it, do so.

Wildesy

Okay, I finally got around to picking up an iPhone 4S and I'm in the market for awesome/free games. After paying for the phone and some accessories, I literally only had enough cash left over to buy 'Cut the Rope' (fucking amazing) and 'Angry Birds' (really fun, but holy shit, so overhyped).

I'm looking beyond "lite" versions of full games, and I want some straight-up full, free games. I downloaded 'Tiny Tower' and am currently obsessing over it. Did a search on Gaf and didn't come up with anything besides the 'Army of Darkness' thread (downloading right now)...

Any other suggestions?

edit: just discovered that 'Army of Darkness' is an iPad-only game. Goddamnit. Also, Google searches are just giving me lame "top freemium iOs games" with crap suggestions like 'Paper Toss'. Fuck's sake, I want something with a little more substance than just dully swiping my finger once.

The best free games usually only get offered up in like one day deals, they aren't the ones that are always free (in my opinion anyway). So keep an eye out on the bargain sites, the Neogaf iOs thread and something like Toucharcade so you can grab the deals when they pop up.

Here are a couple of good ones to get you started though;
http://toucharcade.com/2012/02/17/all-three-sentinel-games-will-be-free-this-weekend/

Sentinel 3 is especially good and it's free now along with the other two.

The GTA games are only .99c this weekend as well I think, you'll get a ton of playing time out of them if you cough up the cash.

The best free games usually only get offered up in like one day deals, they aren't the ones that are always free (in my opinion anyway). So keep an eye out on the bargain sites, the Neogaf iOs thread and something like Toucharcade so you can grab the deals when they pop up.

Here are a couple of good ones to get you started though;
http://toucharcade.com/2012/02/17/all-three-sentinel-games-will-be-free-this-weekend/

Sentinel 3 is especially good and it's free now along with the other two.

The GTA games are only .99c this weekend as well I think, you'll get a ton of playing time out of them if you cough up the cash.

Excellent advice, thank you! Weirdly enough, I actually spotted the 'Sentinel 3' deal after digging around for some suggestions via Google. Is GTAIII tolerable on an iPhone as opposed to an iPad?

Wildesy

Excellent advice, thank you! Weirdly enough, I actually spotted the 'Sentinel 3' deal after digging around for some suggestions via Google. Is GTAIII tolerable on an iPhone as opposed to an iPad?

No problems at all. I haven't played GTA 3, but Chinatown Wars was definitely playable on the iPhone once I got used to the controls.

Mike.83

Having been playing Ticket to Ride with my brother recently, we're both now set to give Neogaf's favourite IOS board game, Carcassonne, a go.

So, nice work with this thread :D

border

I got an iTunes gift card recently, and since I don't buy any music from iTunes I'll probably spend it on these titles.

I got an iTunes gift card recently, and since I don't buy any music from iTunes I'll probably spend it on these titles.

Be sure to drop $.99 on 'Cut the Rope'. Phenomenal little game.

Also, can't recommend 'Tiny Tower' and the 'Sentinel' and 'Zenonia' series' of games enough. You can drop $2 and end up with 8 games if you go with all of those.

Wiz

Glad to see Game Dev Story rank so high. I don't play iOS games anymore, but when I did that was a favorite of mine.

PvZ deserves that No. 1 spot though. Endless fun. :p

I had an iPad 2 for about six months before it was stolen in a burglary. In that time I spent approximately $100 in apps, most of them games.

The only two games that I liked, that I would actively seek my iPad to play, were Jetpack Joyride and a Skylanders game with a similar achievement system. I had a bit of fun with Sonic All Stars Racing too, fun until you had to do something really particular then the controls fell apart.

I bought Sword & Sorcery but the controls were terrible and I couldn't play it. Same goes for Sonic CD.

The Assassin's Creed TCG was a neat concept, but didn't use new artwork (boring) and the rules were too complicated for casual play.

I picked up Ghost Trick, loved the first chapter, and never played it again because I swore to find a copy on the DS and play it that way.

I miss my iPad :'(

When it comes to being accessible to developers, iOS has a boatload of good going for it:
1-Your device is your dev kit. The hoops you gotta jump through to get a dev kit for traditional consoles are insane. $5K may not seem like much to a big company, but a garage dev? That's a few months of living expenses.

2-Concept Approvals? What approvals? This is a double edge sword as it allows for clones, infringing apps and in some cases, malware to get through.
But for a dev that wants to make a quality, quirky game that'd never get greenlit by a publisher? Again, god send.

3-Middleware is cheap. Unity, Cocos2D, a reasonably priced Unreal Engine license, etc. If you're an idea person that can't wanna focus on the tech, you've never been in more luck, ever.

While it's hard to fight through the sea of crappy apps, creative people can get their dream games, the gem forged through the heat of their passion and hard work into the hands of others.

On the subject of games for the list, I hope Astro Story gets up there as far as Kairo games go. Sad to see Ghost Trick not on the list either...

PaulLFC

I'm sad that FIFA 12 beat First Touch Soccer, and by quite a margin too. FIFA 12 is awful. Sure, it looks good, but that's about it. Plays nothing like the current console versions and appears to be a port of the PS2 version with touch controls. First Touch Soccer is a better football game in every single way.

Top Bottom