• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

okno

New stuff not throwbacks would retain that vibe you are looking for

Thanks for those, that Brenmar song is hot. I just want a couple of things to pepper in here and there, as I know some of the people there would appreciate it.

That blk.adonis EP is weird as fuck.

bowery

MoMa PS1 warm-up lineup is here, tickets already on sale 15$ each show

July 7th
Todd Terry / X-Mix Productions / New York, NY
Light Asylum / Mexican Summer / Brooklyn, NY
Nguzunguzu / Fade to Mind / Hippos in Tanks / Los Angeles, CA
Trust / Arts and Crafts/ Toronto, ON
Arca ft. HBA / UNO / New York, NY

July 14th
Terrence Parker / Parker Music Works / Detroit, MI
D3 (Mark Flash, Jon Dixon, DeSean Jones) / Underground Resistance /
Detroit, MI
Ron Morelli / L.I.E.S. / New York, NY
Jeremie Delon / A1 / L.I.E.S. / New York, NY
Steve Summers / L.I.E.S. / New York, NY
Professor Genius / L.I.E.S. / New York, NY

July 21st
Matthew Dear (DJ Set) / Ghostly International / Spectral Sound / New York, NY
Sepalcure / Hotflush Recordings / Berlin / New York, NY
Le1f / Camp & Street / Greedhead / New York, NY
MikeQ / Fade To Mind / Qween Beat / Mad Decent / New York / New Jersey
JDH and Dave P / FIXED / New York, NY

July 28th
MJ Cole / Prolific Recordings / London
Sinkane (Live) / DFA / Brooklyn, Sudan
DJ Spoko / True Panther / Atteridgeville, South Africa
Slava / Software / Brooklyn, NY
Van Rivers

August 4th
Jamie xx / Young Turks / London
Pearson Sound / Hessle Audio / United Kingdom
Lemonade / True Panther / Brooklyn, NY
Sinjin Hawke / Pelican Fly / Barcelona
Zora Jones / Pelican Fly / Barcelona
Featuring a performance by Miguel / Bystorm / RCA Records Artist / Los Angeles, CA

August 11th
Photek / Photek Productions / United Kingdom
Evian Christ / Tri Angle / Ellesmere Port, UK
Shlohmo / Friends of Friends / Los Angeles / New York
Autre Ne Veut / Software / Brooklyn, NY
Howse / Tri Angle / Providence

August 18th
Floating Points / Eglo / London
Jacques Greene / Vase / Montreal
Secret Circuit / Beats in Space / Los Angeles, CA
Hieroglyphic Being / Mathematics Recordings / Chicago, IL

August 25th
Just Blaze
Nick Catchdubs / Fool's Gold / Brooklyn, NY
Danny Brown / Fool's Gold / Detroit, MI
The Stallions (Lovefingers & Lee Douglas) / ESP Institute / New York, NY
BAIO / Greco-Roman / Brooklyn, NY

September 1st
James Holden / Border Community / London
Kassem Mosse / Workshop Records / Leipzig
Om Unit / Civil Music / London
Silent Diane / Austin, TX

September 8th
Atoms For Peace (DJ set) / XL Recordings / London
Rustie / Warp / Glasgow
Holy Other / Tri Angle / Manchester
Maria Minerva / Not Not Fun / London
Justin Strauss / WhateverWhatever / New York, NY

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
EDIT:
I've been asked to DJ a gay pride rooftop party this upcoming Sunday, I need some recs! It's going to be an almost entirely gay crowd, mostly between 30 and 40 years old. They're going to expect to hear Lady Gaga, unfortunately, but I'm going to mostly stick to my house/uk funky/nu-disco roots. I just want to play some really classic 90s Chicago and Detroit house, and was hoping you guys could throw out some ideas. Things like Hardrive - Deep Inside and such. Thanks guys!

I've been in love with this song the past few days, and since you mentioned "Deep Inside" I have to recommend this: Lil Louis - Club Lonely

Is this party in NY? Then in that case, based on the age of the crowd, many of the people will have fond memories of the Sound Factory, the Tunnel, and Junior Vasquez/Danny Tenaglia/Jonathan Peters/Peter Rauhofer parties... so if I was in this position I'd be playing lots of tribal/hardhouse. It's not my genre of choice but it was REALLY popular in LI/NYC during the late 90's, when I first started getting into EDM.

Some picks:

Razor N Guido - Do It Again (aka, Long Island's most famous contribution to the world of house music)
Johnny Vicious - Ecstasy (Take Your Shirts Off)
Plasmic Honey - Afrika
Veronica - Someone to Hold
Hani - Baby Wants To Ride
Mike Macaluso - The Final Chapter
Catapila - Void (I Need You) (Junior Vasquez mix)
SRC - Vulcan (Johnny Vicious mix)
Junior Vasquez - Come Together
Hypertrophy - Beautiful Day
Kim English - Unspeakable Joy (Razor N Guido mix)
Club 69 - Much Better
Club 69 - Drama
Madam vs Benny Maze - Deep Kemical
Danny Tenaglia - Elements
Danny Tenaglia - Music Is The Answer
Barry Harris - Dive In The Pool
Plasmic Honey - The Funeral
Jonah - Sssst... Listen (this is actually an alias of trance duo Rank 1)

316 Eats Everything.
Tracklist
Jill Scott - Love Rain (Detroit Swindle' Seasonal Redux) - CDR
CD vs CD - I Really Do Believe - CDR
Roberto Rodriguez - Ride With Me Feat. Max C (Eats Everything Rebeef) - CDR
Detroit Swindle - Jick Rames - Dirt Crew
Lukas - Best In Show - Moda
Disclosure – What's In Your Head - Greco Roman
Block Committee - It's Got To Be (Phil Weeks Remix) - Tango Recordings
Aaron Soul & Terry Brookes - City Life (Carl Craig's Caya Dub) - Rush Hour
Invasion - Spells Of Deception (Boy 8-Bit Remix) - This Is Music LTD
Kenlou - The Bounce - MAW Records
Andri - Housers Revenge - CityFox
The Quirk Burglars - DYPO - Trendy Mullet
Jimmy Edgar - Hot, Raw, Sex - K7 Records
HoH - Suswour (Bubba Remix) - Dubnoir
DOP - Party Rockin (Eats Everything Create-a-break Rebeef) - Guerilla
Justin Martin & Pillowtalk - The Gurner - Dirtybird
Armando - Don't Take It (Thomos Edit) - CDR
Roska & Jamie George - Love 2 Nite - Rinse
Eats Everything - Jagged Edge - Pets Recordings
&Me - Matters (Eats Everything Rebeef) - CDR
Wildkats - Perpertrating - Hot Creations
DifferentMe - Back To Tomorrow (Catz 'n Dogz remix) - Deleted Records
Hardrive - Deep Inside (Shadow Child Remix) - Strictly Rhythm
Eats Everything & Lukas Present The Eel - Futureboogie

gdt

Is this how most edm producers make music?

http://pitchfork.com/tv/youtube/1-plus-one/220-araabmuzik-1/

I just don't know how it works live. Like, what do they actually do live? Like, say Daft Punk, Scuba, or DeadMau5?

Side note, I really like this video. Don't know much of this guy, I'm not into hip hop at all. How is his stuff coming from the electronic world? Does his album have lots of rapping on it?

lush

Believe he's pretty unique in that performs like that live. Sounds great considering hes's producing everything live. Dude's crazy fast on the MPC. Actually saw him not too long ago and it makes for a cool show.

Should check out the deluxe edition of Electronic Dream. Hip hop production that samples vocal trance, pretty tame compared to what you'd hear in the live vids. His actual production isn't bad either.

lush

There's one vid where it's Araabmuzik performing for Busta Rhymes and his friends. The first beat he drops has this hook that goes "I can tell you 'bout it". Shit was bananas. His mpc vids on youti e are fun. Would drop links but on my phone at work.

&Divius is that the one in France where drops that Resident Evil sample?

okno

Good... god. Artists of that nature have always inspired me, I just cannot believe they do what they do. I can't come even close to doing anything like that. Saw Daedelus last year at Le Poisson Rouge and dude was fucking nuuuuuuts. Such a tiny little guy going apeshit on a 32x32 controller, no laptop, for 90 minutes. Really fun night that was, and then Ghostlamp Killer came on...

edit: I just found my new obsession: Paradis - Hémisphère Too. Much. Fun.

Shaneus

Good... god. Artists of that nature have always inspired me, I just cannot believe they do what they do. I can't come even close to doing anything like that. Saw Daedelus last year at Le Poisson Rouge and dude was fucking nuuuuuuts. Such a tiny little guy going apeshit on a 32x32 controller, no laptop, for 90 minutes. Really fun night that was, and then Ghostlamp Killer came on...

edit: I just found my new obsession: Paradis - Hémisphère Too. Much. Fun.
I've watched a few Araabmusik videos and I'm suitably impressed, but his holier-than-thou attitude rubbed me up the wrong way. It may not mean much to most, but that can really put me off enjoying people's music. Deadmau5 was the same, but thankfully his music turned to shit around pretty much the same time, too. (No Pressure is still a golden track, though.)

lush

AlunaGeorge - You Know You Like It (Bobby Tank Remix)
Lorn - Mary Anne Hobbs XFM Mix
South London Ordinance - Trojan / Pacific
Physical Therapy - Drone On (feat. Jamie Krasner)
Floyd Campbell - Drifted
XLR8R Podcast 252: George Fitzgerald
01 Trikk "Rounded" (ManMakeMusic)
02 Leon Vynehall "Don't Know Why" (ManMakeMusic)
03 Levon Vincent "Love Technique" (Ovum)
04 Klartraum "Playfulness (Kris Wadsworth Space Face Mix)" (Underbelly)
05 George FitzGerald "Child" (Aus)
06 A1 Bassline "Slur"
07 Gummihz "Ou Ye" (Raw Instinct)
08 George FitzGerald "Lights Out" (Aus)
09 Gang Colours "To Repel Ghosts (George FitzGerald Remix)" (Brownswood)
10 Helix "Honig" (ALL CAPS)
11 Policy "One Last Time (Tom Trago Remix)" (Rush Hour)
12 Breach "You Won't Find Love Again" (Naked Naked)
13 Lord Of The Isles "A2B" (Firecracker)
14 Kimbra "Build Up (George FitzGerald Remix)" (Warner)

Throwing Snow - Solid Steel Mix
1. Clark - Secret
2. Eprom - Regis Chillbin
3. Various - Moving On
4. EAN - Aulderkincher
5. Manni Dee - Heatwave
6. Machinedrum - Fantastix
7. Kreng - Karcist
8. Alex D££mnds - Credentials
9. Klic - Disco M
10. Fort Romeau - Say Something
11. Blacksmif - Microweight
12. Throwing Snow - Clamor

Sai-kun

Banned
Just a random question for you guys, cuz I've been thinking about it a lot while I've been working on this mix.

Does how long you like to hear a song go on for change depending on where you are? Say a club/bar or at home?

Personally, I don't mind songs going on for their almost full length if I'm at a bar or show or something, but if I'm sitting at home listening to a mix, I kinda like just 1:00-2:00 minute clips of a song, and this kinda carries over to when I'm actually mixing, I tend to cut things a bit short instead of letting them play out.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Does how long you like to hear a song go on for change depending on where you are? Say a club/bar or at home?

All I know is that if I'm digging a song on a mix, it invariably transitions into another song after about 45 seconds. If the song blows, then I swear to God it will play for 17 minutes.

Shaneus

Just a random question for you guys, cuz I've been thinking about it a lot while I've been working on this mix.

Personally, I don't mind songs going on for their almost full length if I'm at a bar or show or something, but if I'm sitting at home listening to a mix, I kinda like just 1:00-2:00 minute clips of a song, and this kinda carries over to when I'm actually mixing, I tend to cut things a bit short instead of letting them play out.
Prefer the song to go on full length wherever possible, unless there's a perfect transition point not too far from where it would've been mixed out of in the first place.

Some people like to listen to mixes to hear as much as possible, but when given the choice I prefer being able to absorb myself in it :)

About the only time I'm happy to hear mixes with only a few minutes of a track is if the songs are either that short to begin with, or if the songs somewhat lend themselves to be used that way ie. a deep house/tech mix should always full-length it, but something a bit lighter (Phonat & 5eya's Tronik Show mix is a good example) is usually fine (though in the latter's case, the songs are so good they work well in both short and long form).

Sai-kun

Banned
If it makes any difference to you, I usually mix pop, house, electro, trance, and some dubstep. I tend to let the trance songs I play go on longer just because...they take longer, but pop and house are pretty easy to get in and out of pretty quick.

daviyoung

Banned
Treat the mix as one song and you'll answer how long each component should be within it.

The flow of the mix is what's important, the length of the cuts is relative to it. Quick mixes are great for mash-ups and showing off, but they tend to be done in panic when a) the crowd dislikes the tune or b) something is wrong with the playback. Pop songs tend to be formed of radio edits that limit the amount of time you have to get in and out, whereas other genres have a set intro and outro. Obviously with the right tech and skills this doesn't matter, you can loop beats and create your own remixes/re-edits on the fly.

Shaneus

^^^^ Spot on. Most DJs I've seen chop and change tracks that quickly are usually only able to do so because it's live and the vibe somewhat suits it (because the track may not be working, that sort of things). Only dudes I've ever heard pull it off successfully AND consistently for the purpose of home listening are 2manydjs/Soulwax (they did it SO damn perfectly live as well, talented bastards).

I think P. Diddy says it best (taken from Soulwax's Essential Mix from... um... '09? Unsure of where it originally came from. But that EM is AMAZING. And the track in the background is Abusator by Sweet Light. Killer.)

Ill Saint

Back in day, Jeff Mills was renowned for blistering mixes on 3 decks, playing only a minute or so of each tune. Absolutely incredible to witness. Best captured on Live at the Liquid Room Tokyo. Well worth tracking down.

Surgeon's live sets are much the same, he rarely lets a tune play out much. DJ Stingray is another who chops and changes tracks quickly, in the proper electro tradition.

Fusebox

Banned
Quickmix also never did a quick mix.

240px-Quickmix-universe.jpg

Ha nah I cant keep up with all the genres I follow! I only listened to the Radio show as I wanted something playing while I played D3 but it was so random it made me laugh.
Guess its like this one
SAK NOEL - Loca People (What the f**k)
Friend said he heard it loads of times out ,even at Miami Winter thing and hes not the kind of guy to see guetta play haha and now I hear it all over in the most random places.

Was Hammering the Rinse Swamp 81 podcast earlier, basically everything for the full two hours is stellar.
Rightclick-save as

Shaneus

And another track of his I actually kinda like better... umm... What's In Your Head. Not a bad track. But yeah, definitely capable of doing a splendid live set.

Oh, and Gestaffensteinenhausenberg will be coming to Australia in December. It's a festival gig, but as someone I'm newly obsessed with... fucking awesome.
Gesaffelstein - Atmosphere (SO FUCKING GOOD... almost reminds me of Der Dritte Raum a little)

Nyx

Awakenings Festival next week, made a schedule for the DJs I want to see:

12:30 - 14:30 Robag Wruhme
14:30 - 16:45 Ricardo Villalobos
16:45 - 17:45 Gaiser (live)
17:45 - 19:30 Matthias Tanzmann & David Squillace B2B

And then I just need to pick a finisher for the rest of the night. (till 22:00-23:00 when I leave the festival)

Adam Beyer, Carl Cox, Ben Sims, Chris Liebing, PET Duo (lol, hell no), Joris Voorn or Marcel Fengler.

Think I'll just go with the flow, and probably will do so during daytime as well so my schedule is useless anyway. :D

Nyx

Marcel Fengler is phenomenal live, I would definitely go see him to close off the night.

Was thinking of him as well, just need to convince my friends.
Oh well, most of the times I make a schedule upfront, I end up at entirely different DJs anyway. :D

And the lineup is big!

V open air
CARL COX
CARI LEKEBUSCH & JOEL MULL
CRISTIAN VARELA
EGBERT & SECRET CINEMA
JOSEPH CAPRIATI
LEN FAKI
SANDRIEN

W open air
2000andone
ADAM BEYER
DANIEL SANCHEZ
DUBFIRE
GAISER (LIVE)
MARCO CAROLA
RICARDO VILLALOBOS

X
BEN SIMS
DAVE CLARKE
DJ RUSH
MARKANTONIO & RINO CERRONE
OSCAR MULERO
TECHNASIA (LIVE)
THE ADVENT & INDUSTRIALYZER (LIVE)

Y
GARY BECK
CHRIS LIEBING
JEFF MILLS
JEFF RUSHIN
PLANETARY ASSAULT SYSTEMS (LIVE)
SPEEDY J

Z
MURPHY
FATIMA HAJJI
FRANK KVITTA & MARIO RANIERI (LIVE)
MARCO REMUS (LIVE)
MISS DJAX (LIVE)
MR JONES
PATRICK DSP (LIVE)
PAULA CAZENAVE
PET DUO

A
DAVID AUGUST
KAROTTE
LAURENT GARNIER PRESENTS L.B.S. (LIVE)
ROBAG WRUHME
SAN PROPER
STIMMING (LIVE)

B open air
DAVIDE SQUILLACE & MATHIAS TANZMANN
FRITZ KALKBRENNER (LIVE)
IDA ENGBERG
JOHN DIGWEED
JORIS VOORN
MARTIN BUTTRICH (LIVE)
PAN-POT
PRUNK

C open air
CARLO LIO
DONATTO DOZZY (LIVE)
MARCEL FENGLER
MAKAM
NICOLE MOUDABER
NICOLE ROSIE
TIM WOLFF

okno

Man, that is a killer lineup! If you can make time for it, do NOT miss out on Donato Dozzy. Such a brilliant DJ and producer.

And what I wouldn't do for a chance to see Whrume DJ :( Dude is just wacked out of his mind.
Kollektiv Turmstrasse - Heimat (Robag's Turmkolle Rekksmow)
Moenster - This Is For You [Robag Wruhme's Chukka Boot Rekksmö Rmx]
<3

edit: John, that's a Techno fest if I ever saw one! Looks like a really good one, too. I would lose my mind there, if only in trying to figure out what stage to be at at what time. There are at least two people on each stage that I would love to see. Have fun, Nyx!

Top Bottom