• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Phantasy Star Zero Thread (US)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Whoa... hey... ps0. Okay, I need to pick this up, asap. I put 234312 hours into the DC & first Xbox versions. Is this one like that or the shitty recent ones? Note: don't argue about the shittiness levels of the recent ones. The last one I played - I forget which - was pretty terrible by comparison to the dc/earlier pso's. I just want a mag to feed, plz.

Wizpig

commish said:
I just want a mag to feed, plz.
You get that.
It's Phantasy Star Online... with a shitty character design and story.
It also has two new classes, like the HUmarl, and some new gameplay gimmicks like rolling to avoid enemies.

But it's PSO, so you can buy it without thinking too much about it.
Jtwo said:
Man, so the camera just flat out sucks.
I died on that first dragon like 4 times because of it.
Still a very fun game though, I have to say.
Nope it doesn't, it's bad (which SEGA game doesn't have a bad camera?) but you can get used to it, trust me.

Ok, here's a little tip: you have three ways of controlling the camera.
L = the camera goes behind you
Keep pressed X and use L/R to manually rotate the camera
Keep pressed R and the camera will stay where it currently is

botticus

Wizpig said:
Ok, here's a little tip: you have three ways of controlling the camera.
L = the camera goes behind you
Keep pressed X and use L/R to manually rotate the camera
Keep pressed R and the camera will stay where it currently is
Wow, that will be useful. No more random attempts to point in the right direction to lock onto somebody.

jorgeton

What's the online multiplayer like? Is it easy to find games to join? Someone said this before in an earlier post, but if PSP had online multiplayer, I'd probably still be playing it. Loved it regardless.

My friend has the JP version of this, so I've had some hands-on time and enjoyed it. Forgot it was out in the US! Picking it up this afternoon.

Wizpig

jorgeton said:
What's the online multiplayer like? Is it easy to find games to join? Someone said this before in an earlier post, but if PSP had online multiplayer, I'd probably still be playing it. Loved it regardless.

My friend has the JP version of this, so I've had some hands-on time and enjoyed it. Forgot it was out in the US! Picking it up this afternoon.
Is PSP Story-mode only?
What about PSP 2?

Anyway, online multiplayer is the real reason to buy this, and it's relatively easy to find games.

jorgeton

Wizpig said:
Is PSP Story-mode only?
What about PSP 2?

Anyway, online multiplayer is the real reason to buy this, and it's relatively easy to find games.

No, PSP has an online component, but right now it's ad-hoc only. Sony is introducing infrastructure mode in the US later this month (allegedly) so one might be able to play PSP with people who aren't sitting next to them. Will dig the game out if this is the case.

Good to hear about the PS0 multiplayer. Will def. be picking this up then.

jorgeton said:
Sony is introducing infrastructure mode in the US later this month (allegedly) so one might be able to play PSP with people who aren't sitting next to them. Will dig the game out if this is the case.

Whewwwww, no. You've got very very confused somewhere along the way. Sony is releasing Adhoc Party in the west this month for PS3, which allows your PS3 to act as a wireless server for the PSP fooling it into connecting to other PSP owners connected to the same app on their PS3. Still all on Adhoc, not infrastructure.

PSP2 however will have infrastructure mode out the gate with online play tied to your PSN account with a PSP2 'key', much like the old DC PSO one.

Blueblur1

I finally got the game but it's so hard to find time to really dive in during the week. I haven't even decided on which character class I want to start with!

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
dock said:
My copy of this is winging its way towards me right now. Three friends of mine will be playing through this together. We gathered together each week to play through Zelda Four Swords and three Crystal Chronicles games. I'm really looking forward to it.

Does anyone recommend anything for a four player party? What would be a good selection of classes?

I can't believe the lack of hype for this game. I can't find a single review anywhere.

Should be some reviews coming up shortly, I've been sending out some copies to the community sites to check out. I'm not a PR guy, but I still want to see how it fares. The first review for the game was Nintendo Power, which was an 8/10. (Though I wish someone had told them about the right trigger + start for quick equip!)

For a four player party, I'd say definitely have one FO, one HU, and mix and match after that as necessary. Rangers are also pretty great for long range support, but the medley of different classes offer a lot of team play strategies.

Teknoman

RubyEclipse said:
Should be some reviews coming up shortly, I've been sending out some copies to the community sites to check out. I'm not a PR guy, but I still want to see how it fares. The first review for the game was Nintendo Power, which was an 8/10. (Though I wish someone had told them about the right trigger + start for quick equip!)

For a four player party, I'd say definitely have one FO, one HU, and mix and match after that as necessary. Rangers are also pretty great for long range support, but the medley of different classes offer a lot of team play strategies.

206yl3o.jpg

I think I need to try out quick equip :D

botticus

For those who have beaten the story mode, at what level were you capable of beating the last boss? I just made my first run at level 28 and got pretty well hammered. My friend and I will have to do a few more days of questing, I think.

botticus said:
For those who have beaten the story mode, at what level were you capable of beating the last boss? I just made my first run at level 28 and got pretty well hammered. My friend and I will have to do a few more days of questing, I think.

Level 27 HUCast, used all my mates/items doing it though...it was pretty brutal.

NeOak

RubyEclipse said:
(Though I wish someone had told them about the right trigger + start for quick equip!)

Thanks for that tip. I wondered if that was in the game. The manual is awful D:

I'm tempted to delete my HUmar and start a FOmar. I like to have an only character. :lol

Anyone playing with SoA employees tomorrow? (errr, today) I wanted to sign up but I have Chemistry class during that time. I'm sure it'll be fun for those who are playing. If you get a chance to play with them you'd better share any cool visual chats they give you!

Speaking of visual chats, I made an Animal Crossing drawing. My friend's friend made a really cool Tom Nook drawing. I tried drawing Redd and it turned out OK I guess. It takes practice using the stylus to produce pixel style art. Slowly getting the hang of it though!

IMACOMPUTA

-WindYoshi- said:
This has probably been asked, but how is the atmosphere compared to PSO, audio-wise specifically?
One thing that really stood out with episode 1 & 2 was the ambience created by the futuristic sound effects merging together with a wonderful soundtrack that went from beautifully serene at times to desperately chaotic at others.

I absolutely LOVED the soundtrack and all things audio related to PSO. Totally obsessed.

That being said, ps0 NAILS it. The soundtrack sounds like it's straight out of PSO.
You'll be happy! :)

ACE 1991

IMACOMPUTA said:
I absolutely LOVED the soundtrack and all things audio related to PSO. Totally obsessed.

That being said, ps0 NAILS it. The soundtrack sounds like it's straight out of PSO.
You'll be happy! :)

That said, some of the sound effects are pretty terrible.

Wizpig

RubyEclipse said:
right trigger + start for quick equip!
THANK YOU.

About the game secrets, I just hope we will be able to unlock those super-secret-weapons... like, you know, Samus' beam from Metroid.

On that matter, I want to ask a quick thing to GAFfers with a japanese copy or someone who knows: those secret Nintendo items - or other items for that matter - that you can get from the Password Machine... is that the only way? is it considered "cheating"?

Wizpig

baka kitsune said:
Anyone playing with SoA employees tomorrow? (errr, today) I wanted to sign up but I have Chemistry class during that time. I'm sure it'll be fun for those who are playing. If you get a chance to play with them you'd better share any cool visual chats they give you!

Speaking of visual chats, I made an Animal Crossing drawing. My friend's friend made a really cool Tom Nook drawing. I tried drawing Redd and it turned out OK I guess. It takes practice using the stylus to produce pixel style art. Slowly getting the hang of it though!
The event starts Wednesday at 1 AM here in Italy, so i honestly don't know.
Maybe at that time I will be playing with other friends... i hope some GAFfer joins the Sega employees anyway, for the same reasons you listed :D. (visual chats!)

Two gripes about the game: Limited customization, although the additional classes are nice... are they even useful? Second gripe: WPA only(?)

Any good mag farming guides (what does everyone feed theirs?) I've just been feeding mine 'grinders.

Also, does anyone else just hold X+R/L and run through items to pick them up instead of individually?

Been playing as a HUnewearl. Enjoyable so far.

IMACOMPUTA

Hey everyone.. I'm confused.
I'm at the mission where you have to get the plant for the mayor (like the second mission).
I complete it, and it says quest complete.. i go through the little story part, and then when im done i get my reward but its as if i never did the quest. No new quests are unlocked, and i can only choose to do the same mission over again. I've completed it twice now and the same thing happened both times. I want to do the next quest! is this a bug, or am i missing something?

ShowDog

The loading is pretty nonexistent, but from what I played of the first area, the game is broken up into the smallest little areas of all time. Is this consistent throughout? It really bugs me so far.

NeOak

ShowDog said:
The loading is pretty nonexistent, but from what I played of the first area, the game is broken up into the smallest little areas of all time. Is this consistent throughout? It really bugs me so far.

It was similar with PSO. Well, somewhat, since the enemies only spawned in the area you were in, so it was basically a big map with small areas.

SuperPac

IMACOMPUTA said:
I'm at the mission where you have to get the plant for the mayor (like the second mission).
I complete it, and it says quest complete.. i go through the little story part, and then when im done i get my reward but its as if i never did the quest. No new quests are unlocked, and i can only choose to do the same mission over again. I've completed it twice now and the same thing happened both times. I want to do the next quest! is this a bug, or am i missing something?
This is happening to me too. I finish the quest, talk to everyone I seemingly need to, go to the quest counter to accept my award, then when I go to take a quest the only one available is Mayor's Mission. :(

What weapons do you think are the best for hunters?

I'm level 20 and have been using a Double Edge +30 for a while now. I have several weapons that are stronger than it, but it just hits so many times that nothing I have can beat it. Damage wise, are double swords the best?

botticus

SuperPac said:
This is happening to me too. I finish the quest, talk to everyone I seemingly need to, go to the quest counter to accept my award, then when I go to take a quest the only one available is Mayor's Mission. :(
Did you talk to the Mayor after accepting the reward? I don't recall if it was after that quest specifically but sometime early on I had to talk to the Mayor to open up the next story quest.

2DMention

Banned
I've been using spears. They're probably not the best wpn, but they're the ones I know how to use. D-Sabres are too tough for me to use, although they're effective. Gunblades seem kinda weak.

SuperPac

botticus said:
Did you talk to the Mayor after accepting the reward? I don't recall if it was after that quest specifically but sometime early on I had to talk to the Mayor to open up the next story quest.

I did, yes. I figured out what I was doing wrong. You have to talk to the mayor, go cash in at the quest desk, talk to the mayor again, THEN go outside before the next quest will trigger. Guh, confusing. Why they leave the Mayor's Mission quest in the list at all is beyond me.

Wow, I'm seriously diggin' this game. It's the PSO sequel I always wanted and it's really bringing out my suppressed hate for PSU. :lol

It's flawed, for sure, but it's like PSO with some minor improvements and fugly graphics. Really wish there were more palette slots though. There's a whole touch screen to use! What were they thinking?

dock

RubyEclipse said:

Awesme, thanks for the tip! My copies arrived today, so we should be starting the weekly PS0 sessions very soon! :D I can't wait!

JCX said:
So does this game not have Ra- and Gi- versions of techs? If so, :(

Well... kinda...

You can't collect these versions of the techs. When using one of the normal techs, hold the button a bit longer and you'll charge it up to use the more powerful version. In the tech section of the menu screen it'll show you what the charge-ups are.

sethcheek

IMACOMPUTA said:
FWIW, I did the same thing around four times by myself, with no party, then did it WITH my party the fifth time, and the plot rolled on for me.

fosholv

I believe when you see a cursor on the target you can press and hold the L trigger to lock on.
Also, I do not understand why they do not allow item trade in dungeon. By the way, thanks for the quick equip tip.

dock

Argh! I can't decide what class to be!!

We have a human ranger, probably a human force, and some sort of hunter. Is it bad if the party is mostly human? Should we ideally have newman and casts in there too?

Forkball

Got it and took down the first area. I'm enjoying it, but the camera is driving me crazy. Is there really no way to lock on? The battle with the dragon was pretty epic though, I had to do some quick thinking in order to get out of it alive (the stupid girl died in about two minutes).

depward

Did not play with Sega; looking at their blog, it seemed like it was a fairly successful event.

Did anyone kind of become surprised by the first boss?

He was actually kind of tough! Well, until I learned his patterns... but I burned through a lot of healing items. By AI teammates didn't last a minute so it was up to me and to me only. Was glad to see a somewhat challenging first boss!

As someone kind of familiar with Phantasy Star (we're talking PSPortable and the desire to always try Universe but never doing so), I'm enjoying this very much. I just wish the current quest you were on if you save in the middle of an adventure wasn't reset if you turn off your DS. But whatevs.

Wizpig

Final boss in story mode is fucking crazy.
Fucking.
Crazy.
HARD.

Please tell me at which level i should try to kill it in Story Mode... without Scape Dolls.

Foxix Von

RubyEclipse said:

You just blew my mind.

VQ

Wonderful game.

Some improvements/changes I would suggest for a sequel:

-fully upgradeable NPCs - weapons, stats everything

-simple town sim instead of the same hub for every DS, layout affects weapons production or ease of healing, provides some uniqueness when visiting other players

-currently unused character profiles can be chosen as NPC support, given a fraction of EXP

-voice chat for friends, even though the doodle chat is fun

-more character design choices, perhaps unlockable by level progression, at least some more color options

-weapons should have a glow or some other effect when maxed out

I realize some or all of these might tax the DS, but a man can dream.

Wizpig said:
Final boss in story mode is fucking crazy.
Fucking.
Crazy.
HARD.

Please tell me at which level i should try to kill it in Story Mode... without Scape Dolls.

I personally did it at lvl 27 or so on my HUCast...dunno what we want to consider a spoiler, but...
I think the most important thing to do is try to clear the first part without getting hit. At that level, the second half pretty much used all my healing items. For the first form, the easiest thing for me to do is to destroy the melee post, the one that spins around. Any of the other two can die after that, since their shots will most likely miss more often and they will leave the chest/head open for you to go in and destroy it. One of them will live through it, I'd personally much rather have the shooting ones. The second form is much easier with range, but being a hunter I spent the first half using melee

Haven't done it with my ranger yet, but I may go and try to get there now...

Top Bottom