• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

Captain N

Coolio McAwesome said:
I've been waiting for a new Punch-Out!! for nearly 15 years and high expectations for what I wanted to see in a new game. This game is exactly what I wanted and is probably my most highly anticipated game of 2009 thus far.

I feel the same way and can't wait for the 19th! If this game sells well I really do think we'll be getting Super Punch-Out!! with some new boxers and of course the boxers from Super Punch-Out. I would love a multiplayer mode or just the skins of all the boxers you fight to be yours in multiplayer.

Does anyone plan on just playing the game like the original and not try out the Motion controls at all to start?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
If Nintendo ever releases a sequel to this as you suggest, Captain N, I'd rather Nintendo completely overhauled the series and implemented WM+.

I mean, I'm completely fine with this Punch-Out!! Wii (really excited for it actually), even though it's a remake of sorts, but let's face it: the main reason why it gets away with it isn't the polish. It isn't the artstyle, the new modes or the Wiimote/balance-board controls. It's because it's been 15 long years since Super Punch-Out!! came out.

Punch-Out!! is one of those rare franchises that haven't been whored out, so something as simple as a remake will still feel fresh. Now, if each Nintendo home/handheld console had had its own iteration of Punch-Out!!, that would be another story. The franchise fatigue is minimal in this case.

Sorry for the problems guys but apparently Ridley doesn't like it (very strange) and wants to still do even more work on the OP. We'll be re-posting a new thread within the week so keep watch.

We have a whole index planned that is a LOT of work to put together and in the meantime I posted this up figuring all the work put in the OP as well as the tag line MORE TO COME would be fine but Ridley seriously wants to have me start a new thread.

GaimeGuy said:
Assumptions on my part for the characters in the 3rd circuit:
Soda Popinski, Bald Bull, Mr. Sandman, Super Macho Man, DOC LEWIS (World Champion), in that order! :p

The last one would be EPIC

Haunted

Wii Will Rock U said:
Sorry for the problems guys but apparently Ridley doesn't like it (very strange) and wants to still do even more work on the OP. We'll be re-posting a new thread within the week so keep watch.

We have a whole index planned that is a LOT of work to put together and in the meantime I posted this up figuring all the work put in the OP as well as the tag line MORE TO COME would be fine but Ridley seriously wants to have me start a new thread.
?

That's what the edit button is for. Adding a lot more would just bloat the OP. Enthusiasm is nice, but we don't need a SFIV/MGSIV/KZ2 multi-post OP.

Actually, the only thing this OP really needs are some damn gameplay screens. :p

kottila

SpacePirate Ridley said:
ATTENTION
Please, do not write more comments in this thread. The OP is wrong and is not yet finished, as many posts are need to make the index of the OP work (if you click the what you want it will go directly to what you are looking for, like the MGS4 thread).

I've sent a PM to "Wii will rock u" and we are trying to contact a moderator to close this.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 post is more than enough for an OP. More is just annoying.

Haunted said:
?

That's what the edit button is for. Adding a lot more would just bloat the OP. Enthusiasm is nice, but we don't need a SFIV/MGSIV/KZ
2 multi-post OP.
That's what I said but Ridley won't have it, he wants to start completely from scratch again...:(

If you all really feel as though the post we have is enough, please contact the mods and Ridley telling them to forget about the post deletion. I too feel like the OP is enough and that if we want to add more we can just use the edit button.

Gagaman

I certainly won't be making an "official thread" for anything here anytime soon. What's wrong with the OP exactly? All it needs is some screens, really. o_O

Haunted

Gagaman said:
I certainly won't be making an "official thread" for anything here anytime soon. What's wrong with the OP exactly? All it needs is some screens, really. o_O
Eh, it's pretty easy if you don't go overboard. Hell, I did an official thread last year, and I'm as lazy as they get.

Wii Will Rock U said:
That's what I said but Ridley won't have it, he wants to start completely from scratch again...:(

If you all really feel as though the post we have is enough, please contact the mods and Ridley telling them to forget about the post deletion. I too feel like the OP is enough and that if we want to add more we can just use the edit button.
Pfft, Ridley should stop being a bitch. It's your thread, just lay down the law. :p

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Cool OP, I just have one question. You're 19 y/o, how exactly would you "relive" your childhood with PO?

Jinfash said:
Cool OP, I just have one question. You're 19 y/o, how exactly would you "relive" your childhood with PO?

I'm 19 also. It doesn't mean I didn't play Punch-Out!! as a kid though. It was just years later than everyone else.

Haunted said:
Eh, it's pretty easy if you don't go overboard. Hell, I did an official thread last year, and I'm as lazy as they get.

Pfft, Ridley should stop being a bitch. It's your thread, just lay down the law. :p

Its not his thread, we were wotking both in it. Its an unfinshed thread, the sections are wrong, theres no info, theres no screens, theres nothing.
You are all pissed of because you started conversations and you want them to stay, thats fine, I understand.

But I worked a lot in this thread for ages and now is all going to the bin.

Let us start another thread, please. It would be much better, I promise.

If you dont like it then you can talk trash about it, but please, let me post all the work, im really begging you here. :(

I also dont understand why this game doesnt deserve a good thread as other games. Yeah, it is not a so big franchise, but I thing it deserves what I was doing in the original thread.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Its not his thread, we were wotking both in it. Its an unfinshed thread, the sections are wrong, theres no info, theres no screens, theres nothing.
You are all pissed of because you started conversations and you want them to stay, thats fine, I understand.

If you dont like it then you can talk trash about it, but please, let me post all the work, im really begging you here. :(

I also dont understand why this game doesnt deserve a good thread as other games. Yeah, it is not a so big franchise, but I thing it deserves what I was doing in the original thread.
Ridley, I have been trying to contact you via PM for the last hour. Why are you not responding? Seriously if you want to be helpful, you should've responded.

And yeah, no one is against posting the work. We just ALL think that we should just edit the first post instead of making a whole new thread. Seriously, it's not that hard. That's why the edit button is there.

Gomu Gomu

SpacePirate Ridley said:

edit .edit .edit .edit .edit .

Jme

So, who's going to buy the Limited Edition Replica Little Mac Boxing Glove?
Amazon Link

41XwhogfuUL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
419o5dXF5XL._AA280_.jpg

$90 - Does not include game or anything else, it's a stand alone collectible.

Masked Man

I said wow
Jinfash said:

I've been playing the original Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! since I was three years old. I have plenty of fond memories of passing the controller back and forth between me and my dad, trying valiantly to fell the beasts of the boxing ring. :D

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Is SpacePirate Ridley the 3D Realms/ID of Gaming Side? IT'S DONE WHEN IT'S DONE!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
SpacePirate Ridley said:

There's an EDIT button under your user name.

SpacePirate Ridley said:

It's not that it doesn't deserve a good thread, it's that multi-post OPs are annoying.

Lonestar said:
Is SpacePirate Ridley the 3D Realms/ID of Gaming Side? IT'S DONE WHEN IT'S DONE!

Right well I just got done talking to him and he no longer wants to make a new thread so that is really, really good news. He agreed we use the edit button.

Still, the negativity towards him should stop and I am sorry for bringing some of that in the past couple posts as well. He meant no harm and just wanted the best possible thread.

That being said, OMG PUNCH-OUT IS GOING TO BE SO AMAZING!

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Yeah havnt had punch out since the nes so I'll get it the day it comes out. Would've been awesome if it had online though.

I never thought that multi post OP were that hated, seeing the praise that the MGS4 post had.
I just wanted to do this post as best as possible, so Im sorry if I tried to bring something so many people hate.
And Im sorry If i've sound harsh repliying to some people in this thread.

However, I hope you look forward to the edit, as its going to be a gift for the saga and the great work that Next Level games have done.

Wii Will Rock U said:
Right well I just got done talking to him and he no longer wants to make a new thread so that is really, really good news. He agreed we use the edit button.

Still, the negativity towards him should stop and I am sorry for bringing some of that in the past couple posts as well. he meant no harm and just wanted the best possible thread.

That being said, OMG PUNCH-OUT IS GOING TO BE SO AMAZING!

Thanks a lot really.

Flakster99

Excellent OP! I'm ready to plop my 50 bucks down, super excited for this.
About the lack of online, not entirely sure how I feel about that not being included, as the series has always been a single player, pass the controller around, experience.
Day 1 bitches.

diunxx

This argument about the op is pathetic, people look at it for a few seconds and then move on to talk about the game, its not worth all the effort that you guys put into them.

Remy

The only thing I can think Punch Out could need online for is leaderboards. *That* would be great.

Still, no big loss.

VegaShinra

Remy said:
The only thing I can think Punch Out could need online for is leaderboards. *That* would be great.

Still, no big loss.
Leaderboards would all be the same time eventually, though. Once you find the quickest way to win, everyone will being doing it too.

sikkinixx

I have never played Punch-Out before (never owned it and my cousin would never let me play his copy back in the day)... Which game should I get on VC? NES or SNES?

Ferrio

Banned
sikkinixx said:
I have never played Punch-Out before (never owned it and my cousin would never let me play his copy back in the day)... Which game should I get on VC? NES or SNES?

NES. Punch out original > Super Punch Out

Video interview with the developers, it seems is the first chapter.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48848.html

I hope that the start of the video, with real life Mac, is the TV commercial.

Its really awesome what nintendo is doing for advertise this game. Videos of developer interviews? with a great montage. When was the last time they did something like this (and Im not talking about the Iwata interviiews).

They are treating Doc as a great character after he never appeared in more than 20 yeasr, he wasn't even mention is the smash games for gods sake.

Capndrake

King Hippo profile's been added to the official site. Sounds like there's at least one other fighting theme if you watch his video.

Haunted

Watching that Gametrailers series evolution video made me realise that Super Punch-Out had amazing sound design.

The punches, the dodging, the enemies charging up their special attack... And then the sound reverberating when that final knockout punch connects. Just awesome.

Haunted said:
:lol

[img ]Mad vs Mike gif[/img]

OMG :lol :lol

Haunted said:
Watching that Gametrailers series evolution video made me realise that Super Punch-Out had amazing sound design.

The punches, the dodging, the enemies charging up their special attack... And then the sound reverberating when that final knockout punch connects. Just awesome.

The only thing I dont like about the Super Punch-Out!! sound is the music. The NES one was so epic (Rocky style), boxing fun (the look sharp - be sharp march) and even the boxers hymn, that was a letdown to hear the music style they choose for the Super NES one.
However the all the other sounds and the voices (all done by Charles Martinet) are excellent. They really did an awesome job of soun editing for a Super NES game.

Top Bottom