• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

The animators that did this really need a great prize. One of the best i've seen in a videogame.
Im studing animation in the university, and watching this really makes me thrilled.
You know, is really rare to see in videogames, or even animation, these days uch a good work.
Look at the characters, they seem to have real weight in their body when they move and fall. When they punch you see a perfect punch animation. Its like if thay have real live, just like when someone makes good animation in cartoons.
Its not Pixar level perfect what we are talking here, but its really, really great the work they have done.

With animators like this is why I hate the use of mo-cap for nearly everything in videogames.

Haunted

Yeah, Next Level Games are pretty fucking awesome in the animation department, the animations and in-game cutscenes in Mario Strikers Charged were top notch as well.

And before I forget, this thread needs Gramr's mac-punching-kermit.gif

SpacePirate Ridley said:
The animators that did this really need a great prize. One of the best i've seen in a videogame.
Im studing animation in the university, and watching this really makes me thrilled.
You know, is really rare to see in videogames, or even animation, these days uch a good work.
Look at the characters, they seem to have real weight in their body when they move and fall. When they punch you see a perfect punch animation. Its like if thay have real live, just like when someone makes good animation in cartoons.
Its not Pixar level perfect what we are talking here, but its really, really great the work they have done.

With animators like this is why I hate the use of mo-cap for nearly everything in videogames.

Yeah, i'm looking at your avatar and it's just so smooth and fluid
2d2d9n4.gif

Indeed, the animation in Punchout (even only from what I've seen thus far) easily outclasses the majority of HD releases ...it's nuts!

Wait a moment...
2us74ns.jpg

Who the fuck is Little Pete? Little Mac's brother? :lol

The most normal thing is that you can change Mac's name in the head to head mode, so you can call for example Little Ridley, or Little Haunted, or Little Masked Man or Little whatever...

Masked Man said:
NEED MORE PISTON HONDA ALL OVER MY FACE NEW HACHIMAKI OH MY GOD SO DELICIOUS
Now he is called Piston Hondo, they thought Honda Motors could give them the lawsuit call :lol

Masked Man

I said wow
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Now he is called Piston Hondo, they thought Honda Motors could give them the lawsuit call :lol

Thankfully, I know that Honda is a common enough Japanese name that there wouldn't be any real need to change it. Otherwise...

1413080.jpg
1413080.jpg
1413080.jpg
1413080.jpg
1413080.jpg
1413080.jpg

Rollo Larson said:
the new character designs are so dope

How can they be if they are exactly the same that the NES versions but with improvements.

Masked Man said:
Thankfully, I know that Honda is a common enough Japanese name that there wouldn't be any real need to change it. Otherwise...

1413080.jpg
1413080.jpg
1413080.jpg
1413080.jpg
1413080.jpg
1413080.jpg

If he was called Fujiyama Honda, or whatever Honda there would be no propblem. But being Piston Honda, that relates directly to their cars, they had to change it. Not that Honda Motors said anything, but Nintendo did it is as a precaution.

Masked Man

I said wow
SpacePirate Ridley said:
f he was called Fujiyama Honda, or whatever Honda there would be no propblem. But being Piston Honda, that relates directly to their cars, they had to change it. Not that Honda Motors said anything, but Nintendo did it is as a precaution.

OMGWUTFRLZ?

zakisajerk4.png

nightmare2.png

Haunted

God, watching these videos is getting me hyped, I've got this itch to replay Super Punch-Out right now.

Actually thinking about it, the only Super Punch-Out character I actively loathed was Heike Kagero. What the fuck was up with him?

SpacePirate Ridley said:
The Wii referee is the arcade referee :)
That's my point. :lol

*heads off to his Wii*

Haunted said:
God, watching these videos is getting me hyped, I've got this itch to replay Super Punch-Out right now.

Actually thinking about it, the only Super Punch-Out character I actively loathed was Heike Kagero. What the fuck was up with him?

That's my point. :lol

*heads off to his Wii*

Hey I see what you did there, wheres your Piston Honda vs Dragon Chan opinion? :lol

The only boxer I really hate of the saga is Hoy Quarlow, in my opinion he doesnt belong to the series. A wooden stick is just to much.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SpacePirate Ridley said:
The only boxer I really hate of the saga is Hoy Quarlow, in my opinion he doesnt belong to the series. A wooden stick is just to much.
*spits in your face*
*grabs you and drains you of energy*
*throws juggling balls at you*
*kicks you square across the face after jumping from the ropes*
*uses elbow to break your wrist*
*knocks you out with deadly hair*

... you get the picture.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
The most normal thing is that you can change Mac's name in the head to head mode, so you can call for example Little Ridley, or Little Haunted, or Little Masked Man or Little whatever...
Little Wii? :lol

Cowie

I always thought piston honda was the kind of name you got after an embarrassing night of drinking.. Now how am I going to make pee jokes!

GaimeGuy said:
*spits in your face*
*grabs you and drains you of energy*
*throws juggling balls at you*
*kicks you square across the face after jumping from the ropes*
*uses elbow to break your wrist*
*knocks you out with deadly hair*

... you get the picture.

But that are special attacks that mix with their normal boxng ones, like if the referee doesnt see them when they do it.
Having a large piece of wood during ALL the fight... c'mon, referee, are you fucking blind.
He even doesnt have normal attacks if we consider that all the moves he does with the stick are special moves.

In NES Punch-Out!! there are some boxers that seem to hit you with the elbow :lol

Gagaman

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Sorry for the double post but here are some videos that people will love *looking to Masked Man*
Piston Hondo and Great Tiger
Great videos, Piston Hondo is incredible. Sushi in his head! :lol

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/punch-out/videos/g-2008100214264597030/v-200905041554370062

BUT BE CAREFUL, two videos are from the last mode and are very spoilerific. The one with the glass joe image and the one with King Hippo.
Yes! Piston Honda still has the eyebrow twitching!
:lol

It's so wonderfully stereotypical, just how it should be. :lol

Piston Hondo :
R7P_C08_PistonHondo_B_ad--article_image.jpg

Great Tiger:
R7P_C10_GreatTiger_B_ad--article_image.jpg

I love this screen. Just look one of the images of Great Tiger laughing at you! Those little details it what shows the games' polish.
PO_Tiger4--article_image.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
SpacePirate Ridley said:
I posted it yesterday and very few people seemed to watch it.
Its incredible.

I hope part 2 is released soon.

Oops, sorry.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Sorry for the double post but here are some videos that people will love *looking to Masked Man*
Piston Hondo and Great Tiger
Great videos, Piston Hondo is incredible. Sushi in his head! :lol

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/punch-out/videos/g-2008100214264597030/v-200905041554370062

BUT BE CAREFUL, two videos are from the last mode and are very spoilerific. The one with the glass joe image and the one with King Hippo.

I'm loving the music used for these battles, even though I wish it were a bit more upbeat.

jett

D-Member
Hmm so each character has their classic theme remix eh? Neat, although I dunno if the arrangements work all that well in the middle of the a fight. They should pump you up more. :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
They gave the game a full review, which I will not post here.
However, some paraphrased tidbits:

+ A "by the books" Punch Out installment that any PO fan can immediately enjoy.
- A "by the books" Punch Out retread that serves more as a reboot than a true sequel or evolution of the franchise.

+ Not a "modern" fighting/boxing game by any measure. More of a reflex-based / memorization-heavy arcade puzzle game, just like the original PO.

+ Excellent graphics and overall presentation.
+ Nice variety of controls options that mostly work well, save...
- for the balance board dodging which is too slow and clunky to be viable.

+ Main arcade mode has a higher difficulty remix which is almost as good as having a whole new set of fighters to challenge, as far as new patterns go.
+ Additionally, an exhibition mode challenges you to finish opponents while meeting certain criteria (such as finishing Von Kaiser within 5 hits).
- Two player mode is a cheap, shallow novelty that doesn't come close to approaching the fun and satisfaction of the single player modes.

+ All-in-all, it's a very true-to-its-roots refresh with additions that, while not really contribute a whole lot to the overall package, are welcome nonetheless.

test_account said:
Is there any known reason why they changed Piston Honda to Piston Hondo instead?

afraid Honda will sue? It'd be hilarious if it was for PC reasons considering all the other shit in the game.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ninja Scooter said:
afraid Honda will sue? It'd be hilarious if it was for PC reasons considering all the other shit in the game.
Ye, i actually though if it could have something to do with Honda (the car manufacturer), but you have E. Honda in Street Fighter 4 though :) But maybe Piston can be more related to cars, i dont know. What does PC stands for?

test_account said:
Is there any known reason why they changed Piston Honda to Piston Hondo instead?
Its actually the Honda Motors thing.

From GamesRadar:

We asked about the difference (he was originally Piston Honda) and it sounds like Honda itself might’ve factored in the alteration. Nothing like Mr. Honda called Mr. Nintendo to complain, just some preventative swapping.

Its becuase of the name Piston, if he was called Kabuki or whatever other name they wouldnt have change the surname. But Piston directly refers to cars.

That was the joke in the original BTW.

TheCardPlayer said:

Do you want to die in a fire? Super Punch-Out!! music is shit and not memorable at all. Wheres the epic Rocky feel?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Do you want to die in a fire? Super Punch-Out!! music is shit and not memorable at all. Wheres the epic Rocky feel?
Ha. It's more epic than anything in Punch-Out!

Top Bottom