• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 75: CHAMPION V. CHAMPION Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxdco07

anyone else doing mma playground

so glad chiek upsetted cro-cop

im 5th for the top earners for this event
and 7th for the season so far uptodate

Meh....I'm off the Chuck Bandwagon. He'll have to show me something. He is strictly standup which is impressive but he can't beat rampage at this stage in the game and although Henderson will move down I think, I think he would have had a tough time there.

I'm totally uninterested in the Jardine fight which seems like a cakewalk.

h_a_t

SyNapSe said:
Cheik pushing CC around in that round like Hunt/Fedor did.

Yup.
This has NOTHING to do with the cage.
I'm not going back to the early part of this thread where I called it, but it's Mirko again relying on the left, whether it be the straight or the kick.
Also, something else that "irks" me about his game is his foot movement; so freakin' mechanical and often one foot will cross the other or will be within inches of the other.
Another thing that annoys me is the lack of combos he throws; I mean, he did it in K1 as well as recently against Josh Barnett, but he throws too many single shots and doesn't mix it up enough imo.

As far as Bisping, I've never seen him so hesitant to throw(I have seen several of his fights pre-TUF)
I understand Hamill has that freakish strength, but towards the end of the second round and the entire third when Hamill was showing signs of fatigue, I think Bisping should have thrown some more kicks to the legs.
I mean, if you're going to get taken down, you may as well get a shot in.
:D

heh, I'm no fighter though....

Big-E

Stoney Mason said:
Meh....I'm off the Chuck Bandwagon. He'll have to show me something. He is strictly standup which is impressive but he can't beat rampage at this stage in the game and although Henderson will move down I think, I think he would have had a tough time there.

I'm totally uninterested in the Jardine fight which seems like a cakewalk.

Same here.

Hunter D

radiuhm said:
Wow you sir are crazy. Wand vs Chuck oh man give that to Chuck, Cro Cop showed the blue print to beating Wand, a straight jab lol. Shogun > Chuck come on man I really don't see how that's gonna happen, Shogun was getting destroyed standing against Cyrille Diabate until he took it down, lets not kid. Hendo > Chuck no again, Hendo is like a Randy clone if Randy couldn't take Chuck down Hendo ain't doing it either, Chuck has some of the greatest take down defense in MMA. As for Rampage I have much respect for him, I can't wait to see the rematch, hopefully it won't result in the same outcome.

And as far as ground goes, Chuck used to wrestle and is a purple belt in bjj don't underestimate him, he says he only uses it to keep the fight standing. Way to discredit Chuck.
6h3y2cg.gif
Chuck is not on the same level as the guys that have recently beaten Wand. Hendo has a much better chin than Randy, quicker hands, and better boxing than Chuck. Rampage doesn't even respect Chuck and would destroy him again. Shogun is quicker than Chuck and even more aggressive than any of the other new signings. Chuck has been beating up on guys that don't have iron chins. Guys that have average hands at best.

If any one of them got Chuck to the ground the fight would be over. Chuck has an excellent sprawl, but once you get him down the he is lost.

yacobod

Banned
i wouldnt go so far as some ppl in this thread, calling chuck a can now

i thought i was on sherdog for a second

yacobod said:
i wouldnt go so far as some ppl in this thread, calling chuck a can now

i thought i was on sherdog for a second

I don't think he's a can. He deserves a ton of respect for a great run. I just see it as a hard path for him to get back on top. The competition is tougher. Rampage is an awful match-up for him so imo someone will need to be beat Rampage for Chuck to get back on top.

yacobod

Banned
i agree with that

i dont see any point in chuck rampage 3 unless, rampage has a few defenses, and chuck goes on a winning streak

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Anyone watching that Cro Cop fight for the first time, with no knowledge of pride could be forgiven for believing the UFC was just serving him up for Kongo.

God, that performance was pathetic. The UFC is doing everything they can to give that guy a shot at the belt (the whole reason he was signed) and he keeps shitting in their faces.

In all fairness, Kongo should of had a point taken away for disobeying the ref with the consecutive knees to the balls.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Stoney Mason said:
I don't think he's a can. He deserves a ton of respect for a great run. I just see it as a hard path for him to get back on top. The competition is tougher. Rampage is an awful match-up for him so imo someone will need to be beat Rampage for Chuck to get back on top.
I don't see anyone in the UFC currently beating Rampage right now. Dan might do it in a rematch but it's gonna take wandy or shogun to give him some competiton. He still can't defend against the muay thai clinch that well.

Big-E

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Anyone watching that Cro Cop fight for the first time, with no knowledge of pride could be forgiven for believing the UFC was just serving him up for Kongo.

God, that performance was pathetic. The UFC is doing everything they can to give that guy a shot at the belt (the whole reason he was signed) and he keeps shitting in their faces.

Dana is probably so pissed right now . Cro Cop still has like 3 fights left on his deal and has lost to relative unknowns. I don't even know who Dana is going to have Cro Cop fight next.

Bishman

Funny how a top fighter loses one fight, then everyone hops off the bandwagon.

Chuck is still a top fighter. Just wait until he blows right through Jardine then faces Silva.

h_a_t

In all fairness, Kongo should of had a point taken away for disobeying the ref with the consecutive knees to the balls.

Well like Rogan said, the UFC HW division is only getting better and will soon get to the point where there won't be a "can".....the same can be said for all divisions.
As far as the game plan to beating Mirko, it started with Fedor, then Hunt, and now Kongo....continuing and constant pressure.
That said, all three of these fighters are at the very least "good" strikers.

Bishman said:

Chuck is still a top fighter. Just wait until he blows right through Jardine then faces Silva.
many people have said for a long while now that chuck wasn't a top fighter and was only propped up by a lack of quality competition in the UFC

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Cro Cop is done as far as UFC goes. Ultimate Fight Night is his home now. How can UFC market him now? It took him 2 rounds to beat a tomato can, lost to a guy that he was expected to win against, and after he "re-dedicated himself", he loses. I see him going to Bodog after his contract is up.

Quinton/Silva is the next big money fight as far as I am concerned. I see Silva "bulldogging" his way through Liddell in short order, setting up Silva/Jackson. I followed Pride closely via DVD and I would think Silva would destroy Jackson again. This is from someone who loves the shit out of Jackson. It is just s style mis-match for him.

Don't dis Chuck, he beat who was placed in front of him and did it well. He might just be past him prime now. There is no shame in that at all. He had an outstanding run. I know before UFC 69, Forest told me that in the next 2 years all the big names in UFC will be replaced as the new blood is hungrier, tougher, and more creative. I didn't believe him, but now I am starting to.

Big-E

If Shogun loses, im going to lose it.

No one is safe anymore. The only one I have complete faith in is Fedor. There is no possible way that Fedor could lose his first match in the UFC. If he did the world would implode. The universe would not be able to exist.

yacobod

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
many people have said for a long while now that chuck wasn't a top fighter and was only propped up by a lack of quality competition in the UFC

he did KO randy twice, given randy's resurgence, i think it makes those 2 wins even more impressive imo

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Big-E said:
No one is safe anymore. The only one I have complete faith in is Fedor. There is no possible way that Fedor could lose his first match in the UFC. If he did the world would implode. The universe would not be able to exist.
Did i miss something? Did Fedor show up at ufc 75?

My beef isnt so much Cro Cop lost, its that he looked abysmal out there, like he didnt even care.

Big-E

Did i miss something? Did Fedor show up at ufc 75?

I don't see how they won't work out a deal. Plus Goldberg name dropped Fedor when talking about future opponents for Randy. He was just messing with Randy but I think Fedor in the UFC is not a matter of if but when. Rumours were that he would be there today but I haven't seen pictures that he was.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Big-E said:
I don't see how they won't work out a deal. Plus Goldberg name dropped Fedor when talking about future opponents for Randy. He was just messing with Randy but I think Fedor in the UFC is not a matter of if but when. Rumours were that he would be there today but I haven't seen pictures that he was.

I expect an announcement at the next PPV as much as they keep dropping his name.

Plankton

I thought this was a great event with a lot of good matches but damn the Bisping/Hamill decision is pissing me off. We all saw who really won that fight. Its just fucking messed up that you really realize there is something much bigger than those judges that really moves things in favor of the money and crowd. Bisping knew he lost, you could see it in his face and his fighting style during the later rounds of the fight, even after the match he knew within himself.

Grifter

Marcus Davis is a real inspiration reinventing his game at his advanced age.

Cro Cop =(. I was in awe when he kicked away Kongo's leg tho.

Brock Lesnar incoming? :lol

Asbel

rxdco07 said:
anyone else doing mma playground

so glad chiek upsetted cro-cop

im 5th for the top earners for this event
and 7th for the season so far uptodate
You did great. What made you decide to go all in?

The Faceless Master said:
Only UFC haters actually believe that. Styles makes fights. Chuck defended against quality opponents at least as much as Wand. Just because Chuck's past competition matches up favorably for his style doesn't mean his opponents weren't quality.

Hunter D

Bishman said:

Of course he will run through Jardine. All I'm saying is that there are 4, maybe even 5 guys, in the UFC that I don't see him beating.

dem

im positive chuck would beat shogun
absolutely positive..

Shogun is NOT that impressive on his feet.. and i dont see him being able to take Chuck to the ground.

vpance

Chuck needs to reinvent his game just as much as Cro Cop does, against skilled opponents who arent afraid to strike with him. He did well in PRIDE but he got tagged alot before landing his bombs and that was 4 years ago.

Pimpwerx

Bisping for the homecourt advantage. He disrespected Hamill too, despite the clearly undeserved victory. Had the nerve to claim he outboxed Hamill, when it was Hamill that rocked him early and often. Bisping is gonna be exposed when he gets a headline opponent. Hamill got robbed, and I was pulling for Bisping to win this one.

Crocop cry cry. :(

Rampage rampaged. :)

PEACE.

radiuhm

Hunter D said:
Chuck is not on the same level as the guys that have recently beaten Wand. Hendo has a much better chin than Randy, quicker hands, and better boxing than Chuck. Rampage doesn't even respect Chuck and would destroy him again. Shogun is quicker than Chuck and even more aggressive than any of the other new signings. Chuck has been beating up on guys that don't have iron chins. Guys that have average hands at best.

If any one of them got Chuck to the ground the fight would be over. Chuck has an excellent sprawl, but once you get him down the he is lost.

Wow you really have no respect for Chuck lol, the guy loses one fight and now he stands no chance at beating any of those guys. Before Chuck, Randy was never knocked out, so lets not go on and say he has a weak chin. Hendo having better boxing than Chuck, dude GTFO, seriously you are really just talking nonsense now, it's like you're spitting in a guys face that has gone against some of the best fighters out there. Think before you type and stop hating on Chuck damn.

Shogun over Chuck LOL, the guy has one most of his fights by stomping the sh!t out of people, like I said earlier if you watch his fight against Cyrille Diabate then come talk to me about Shogun's great stand up. Hendo get out, the guy has a great greco roman background, but don't compare his stand up with Chuck's like Randy said the guy gots a killer right hand and he's been working on his boxing but don't for a moment think he's on the same level with Chuck, wow one loss and this guy is being regarded as almost nothing.

Ok, first three words of the night have to be...

BISPING FUCKING LOST

Was Timothy Leary one of the judges? Cheech Marin the other? Cause somebody is trippin, or smoking something. Of course, its not a matter of seeing the fight differently, its a matter of the fight meeting a certain expectation from higher ups. The post-fight was a prime example of how much is invested in Bisping, both from the UFC and other sponsors (Affliction not being the least), and of course the moment I heard it would be a split decision, I knew that Bisping would win. For a sport that prides itself on its perceived air of legitimacy in comparison to boxing, the UFC better tread lightly down the road its traveling, before it winds up pissing the wrong people off with these bogus and clearly biased decisions.

The fight was fought almost entirely at Hamills pace. Bisping even had a Tito-esque moment (during his fight with Wanderlei) where he literally ran away from Hamill. Hamill took him down and controlled him for nearly the entirety of the grappling exchanges, and none of Bispings submission attempts even flirted with being dangerous. Hamill had some pretty decent GNP from the top, and Bisping did no damage on the ground, turning his back a number of times and only sprawling one (from my recollection) of Hamills takedown attempts late in the third. The only thing Bisping did at all effectively was when he decided to stop throwing kicks, circle to his left, and box Hamill by baiting him with feints. But keep in mind, that even when Bisping did manage to land, he was still continually eating shots from Hamill (he never could figure out how to avoid his left..hook or the jab). He retreated nearly the entire fight, and if you judge it even in the striking (still a stretch) and submissions (Hamill made no major attempts, Bisping was looking but never managed to secure anything), Hamill clearly got the best of the grappling.

I'm not a fan of either of these guys, but Bisping was CLEARLY outclassed in this fight, and it only makes it all the more sickening for me considering he's been such a golden boy all along. Then he had the nerve to act as though he'd accomplished something by getting his ass whopped for the better part of three rounds!!! The crowd knew he lost, as there was a healthy smattering of boos for Bisping in his home country during his prickish post-fight interview. So fuck Bisping, and fuck Dana and his judges. Hamill came out impressive and dominated an undefeated fighter and buttfucked by Cecil Peoples for his trouble. What an amazing celebration of mixed-martial arts competition.

As for CroCop...so many things come to mind with CroCop. I mean, you could easily make the assessment that he's been Tito'ed, lost his fighting spirit, and that you'll never see the animal he once was emerge again. He's clearly KO conscious, and now seems dreadfully aware that at any given point, anyone they put in front of him could give him a canvas nap. Its hard to believe that this is the same fighter who stood in front the likes of Hoost, Aerts, and Bonjasky. But by another token, Mirko is clearly lacking dimension in his standup. He stands flat footed, loads up for single kicks and punches, and has no head movement to speak of. In K-1, he still relied heavily on his LHK's and straight punches, but he was a far more dynamic and diverse striker by comparison. If CroCop had a glimmer of the variety and timing to his striking that say..GSP did, he'd be nearly unstoppable. You wouldn't know what to defend when the LHK came calling, but as it is, you can tell nearly seconds in advance when the kick is coming and when to counter. You can also tell when to push the action and put him on the defensive.

Which brings me to another point. Opponents seem to be gameplanning CC quite well, but CC can't gameplan his way out of a paper bag. It seems as though he trains each of his skills generically, but doesn't adapt to the style of his adversary. He would have been better served in cutting Kongo off, jabbing him back toward the cage, and then looking for big strikes by stepping back from close range. Launching the LHK in the center of the octagon seems desperately ineffective at present. I thought to myself, "How can Mirko lose a striking battle with Cheick Kongo when training striking with Gilbert Yvel and Remy Bonjasky?" When watching Mirko's training videos, he and Bonjasky would alternate on offense with 20 or 30 second intervals of strikes, launching soft combinations and clinching/kneeing before switching. It seemed like they were basically doing K-1 standup training in a cage. There was no clinching with strikes while backed into the cage, no footwork for positioning or cutting off the cage to the opponent.

So I don't know. Its true that CroCop has lost more than a bit of his moxy, both in terms of taking punishment and taking chances, and its true that he's still ill-adapted for a cage. He showed a few glimmers, as I saw a dirty boxing uppercut as well as some nice groundwork to get Kongo to the cage after the takedown. Hell he even appeared to look for an armbar at the end of the first round. But in reality, it appears that, assuming CroCop isn't going to retire, he's going to have to undergo a complete retooling in order to compete against the increasingly competitive UFC heavyweight division. Striking is simply going to have to become a facet of his repetoire, and he's going to have to learn transitioning from strikes into clinching and takedowns, as well as the ability to win fights on the ground where he has the advantage (ie such as tonight). I think its probably too late for him to change, and considering how hard he took the GG fight, I'm not sure he recovers from this performance. I won't hold out hope, and I won't fault him if he retires. MMA clearly appears to swiftly passing his style by. Its like he's the Mark Coleman of strikers. Sad but true. I wish CC all the best, whatever he chooses, but I wouldn't advise him returning to fight until he's completely broken and remolded himself into a different fighter. More and harder training won't suffice. He needs Muay Thai, Greco, and better usage of his BJJ potential. Or he could just start training with Fedor.

Hendo and Rampage went about as I expected. Hendo proves a slugger, a strong wrestler, and ridiculously hard to KO. Rampage suprises with his grappling strength and prowess, as well as his increasingly scary ability to be effective from any position in the octagon. Both men seemed more than respectful of each other's power and strength, and inspite of the fact that the cards ruled mostly in Rampage's favor, it was truly a see-saw battle, and closely contested throughout. I was somewhat suprised to see Henderson a bit gassed midway through the fight, but considering that he was at perhaps his heaviest fighting weight in his career, it was understandable. I was also suprised that he didn't transition his clinch against the cage into flurries of strikes. While he did well to control Page against the cage, he didn't do too much damage there in spite of scoring a couple of takedowns. A quick break and an uppercut/elbow before resecuring a clinch would have done a lot towards wearing Rampage down. He nearly had it won on the Kimura attempts, but Rampage defended them with AMAZING technique, and it had to suck a bit of the life out of Dan considering he had trouble standing back up when the ground game wasn't working in his favor.

In all, it was a war of attrition...every bit the fight I expected, and I really enjoyed seeing their styles clash. It occurred to me in the middle of the fight how awesome it was to see two guys, so skilled and strong as wrestlers, yet so agressive and powerful as strikers, matched up against each other. The UFC could use more matchups like this. Sucks to see Dan lose, but he represented himself well, and hopefully a transition back to middleweight will see him plenty of success. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight some other UFC LHW's though (hell even a rematch with Page would be awesome considering how competitive a fight this was), but I think he would have to commit himself to the division and get used to carrying the weight (or get used to fighting at significantly under the limit), and I don't see that happening. I'm also excited as hell to see who Rampage draws for his next matchup. Assuming a Shogun victory against Griffin, I would see a rematch being a bit premature as far as exposure for Shogun, but not necessarily unlikely from a UFC matchmaking standpoint. Rampage himself only got one warmup before his title shot, and certainly Shogun would prove a deserving opponent having defeated Page previously.

I'll quit rambling for the moment, but in all, I think this show was a microcosm of the good and bad surrounding the UFC. Their continual acquisition of top talent has allowed for some great, historical matchups, and providing free events to the public continues to be one of the organizations greatest virtues. That being said, we're still subjected to EXTREMELY SUSPICIOUS judging for seemingly annointed fighters, and same-old-same old presentation and production values. While I think that all the new acquisitions have helped the UFC really turn the corner in terms of providing some of the best fighting on the planet, I really think that they need a major overhaul before they're going to achieve the next level of respectability. Given the cash cow that the current formula has become, and the stubbornness of UFC management at the top (I'm thinking of some bald schmuck), I don't expect much change at all until the formula either stops paying or something inescapably controversial occurs. Still, great card, and looking forward to more.

Asbel

Would you guys think I'm crazy for picking Rampage in an upset over Wand or Shogun? Let's just say I saw something in the Hendo fight that's making me confident in this pick.

JOOJITZUU! :lol

Bishman

dem said:
im positive chuck would beat shogun
absolutely positive..

Shogun is NOT that impressive on his feet.. and i dont see him being able to take Chuck to the ground.
agree! chuck will ko shogun ez.

dem

Man people need to calm down about the Bisping decision. If youre using the 10 point must system in a 3 round fight... youre going to have some decisions you don't agree with.. especially if you have rounds that arent dominant.

I thought Bisping won aswell..
so did sherdog

Bishman

dem, i got f'd by the undercard. ugh. i didn't know most of them. so had to the the best i can do and got raped. went from #32 on MMAPlayground to 231421423453 now. lol.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Someone mentioned it earlier. Crocop doesn't gameplan specifically for opponents. He's still just following the same training regimen he had before. I was hoping he'd gameplan for Kongo, but he just looked lost out there when Kongo turned up the heat. I hope CC takes some time off and comes back focused. Sad to see what he's become. :(

I want to see Alexander challenge a contender next.

And Bisping should have lost that fight handily. Worst decision I've seen in UFC.

Hunter D

radiuhm said:
Wow you really have no respect for Chuck lol, the guy loses one fight and now he stands no chance at beating any of those guys. Before Chuck, Randy was never knocked out, so lets not go on and say he has a weak chin. Hendo having better boxing than Chuck, dude GTFO, seriously you are really just talking nonsense now, it's like you're spitting in a guys face that has gone against some of the best fighters out there. Think before you type and stop hating on Chuck damn.
Don't put words in my mouth. I've never thought chuck was that great. Chuck beating Randy wasn't that hard to fathom. He is a striker than randy and I've already said chuck has great takedown defense. Doesn't mean Chuck could beat Hendo. Randy can not touch Hendo in the standup. Hendo has an iron chin that has held up aganist heavyweights and has held his own in the stand up with bigger guys that have solid striking. Shit, in his last two fights he was throwing hands with page and held is own and has knocked out an elite striker in Wand. If Chuck stepped into the ring with Hendo with his hands down he will get dropped.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Entertaining night of fights. The Bisping fight was utter bullshit. Thats the worst judge call I've seen since Tito vs. Griffen. Seriously, WTF was that?

As for Cro Cop? I think he's done. I mean really, who the hell can they match him up against now. 2 losses in a row to less then stellar competition puts them in an awkward spot. His contract is for 250k a bout, win or lose. How exactly can they justify that cost if his next fight is against a complete can like Hardonk. About the biggest fight I can think of for him would be CC vs. Frank Mir and that's a fight I really don't want to watch.

Bishman

Matt Hammil didn't do much in the fight. Yeah he covered up and popped Bisping every here and there, but Bisping was more active. Hell, when Hammil would take Bisping down, he didn't do any damage. Bisping would negate everything then stand back up.

Matt Hammil lost the fight to himself. If he wanted to win, he should have done more to win. Bisping won round 2 and 3. I'll give Matt Hammil the 1st round. He surprised me there with his striking.

dem said:
Dan Henderson also lost to figgin Misaki... don't act like Hendo is unbeatable..

He was technically outstruck on points, in a fight where Misaki ate some serious leather. Misaki won by being a hard target while mixing it up, not by standing and trading. Dan got frustrated and got right-hand happy.

Chuck wouldn't try to out-point anyone..he'd try and win exchanges while seeking a KO. I'm not saying it means Dan would win, but lets not presume that Dan losing to a lesser striker (no slight to Misaki..when he's on he's on..he's just not consistently on lol) somehow means that stylisitically the fight would favor Liddell. Its all about matchups, really.

Bishman

dem said:
Dan Henderson also lost to figgin Misaki... don't act like Hendo is unbeatable..
Who lost to Nathan Marquardt who then lost to Anderson Silva.

I am glad Rampage beat Hendo. Now he can go to 185, where he would have a better chance. 205 is too stacked.

Cro Cop?! WTF. Sigh. I don't know what to say about Cro Cop. He needs to get with a MMA camp. Kongo trained with MMA guys, while Cro Cop trained with K-1 guys. 3 fights left on his contract.

Bishman

Anyone else besides me impressed with Rampage. Damn he looks unstoppable. He controlled Dan Henderson on the ground like it was nothing, and Rampage actually had great bjj. lol. My heart was beating when Henderson would go for a submission. I thought he was about to catch Rampage with a sub. But as long as Rampage has Juanito on his side, he will keep winning. Juanito went 3-0 tonight. Kongo, Bisping, and Rampage.

Rampage vs winner of Shogun / Forest or Chuck / Jardine vs Silva?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom