• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 75: CHAMPION V. CHAMPION Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
WickedAngel said:
I had six people over to watch the event and every single one of them wanted to know how in the fuck that the fight had been judged that way. That was one of the worst decisions I've seen in a fight.

I was watching the fight with about seven people, and one of them picked Bisping to win handily. Everyone thought he was crazy, but apparently it only takes two people to see the fight the way he did.

dem

Heres one of the judges thoughts on hamill/bisping..

Hello to everyone on the Underground. I have been reading the underground for years. I used to post quite a bit. Then I decided it would be better for me to stay out of all the arguments. I want to thank all of you guys for being so nice to me through the years. I have seen almost no negative posts about me here until now.

I first started judging the UFC in 1996. I have been judging UFC almost twice as long as any other active judge. I am a former kick boxer and have been training grappling for 13 years. I am not here to argue with any of you or tell you that your opinion is wrong. I am only going to tell you why I judged the fight the way I did. Watch the fight again and turn off the sound. Commentary can color what you see.

No doubt Bisping dominated the 1st. He hurt Bisping with a right hand right off the bat and again near the end of the round. He out scored Bisping and busted him up. It was a very impressive round for Hamill but still a 10-9 round. Not dominate enough for a 10-8.

Watch the beginning of the second round closely. When Hamill throws the jab, Bisping slips the punch and hits him with his own counter jab. It is hard to see on camera because Hamill's back is to the camera. His back was also to Goldie who was talking like the beginning of this round was like a continuation of the 1st. If you look you will see that Hamill is facing me giving me a clear view of what is landing.

Bisping was landing the jab again and again and not getting hit. Hamill got 2 takedowns in rounds 2 and 3 but did very little with them. Bisping is using an active guard trying to turn for armbars and sweeps, Hamill is doing very little on top. Bisping is keeping him from scoring or improving his position. In the 3rd round Bisping actually lands more punchesd from the bottom than Hamill does from the top.

In both the 2nd and 3rd rounds Bisping does more scoring. Striking. Under pride style scoring Hamill would have won. He did more damage, but it was all in the 1st round. By 10 point must system Bisping won the fight 2 rounds to 1 . 29-28 Bisping. Sometime the angle you see the fight effects your decision. That is why they put the judges on 3 different sides.

BY THE WAY MARIO YAMASAKI THOUGHT BISPING WON ROUNDS 2 AND 3 ALSO. MARIO WAS THE REF AND HAD A BETTER VIEW THAN ANY OF US. I have never taken a payoff as some of you have suggested and never will.

You may not agree with my decision but please don't question my honesty.

Thank you Jeff Mullen

oh.. and heres the ratings for ufc75

The ratings for UFC 75 on Spike TV from this past Saturday, and they’re pretty damn good.

According to Spike TV, the show drew a 3.1 overall (3 million total homes) rating for a staggering 4.7 million viewers (I think the are factoring in multiple people watching at individual homes). The telecast peaked at 5.6 million viewers during the main event featuring Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Dan Henderson in a UFC vs. PRIDE 205 lbs. unification title match.

Looking at the breakdown of demographics, the show drew a 5.7 (1.6 million homes) when it came to males between the ages of 18-34; for males 18-49 it drew a 4.5 (2.5 million); and a whopping 6.2 (1 million) for males 25-34.

If the UFC can’t bolster its sponsor roster with ratings like that, I’m not sure what else they need to do. UFC 75 was the most watched mixed martial arts event in North American history.

The show did very well in the key male demos against its competition. In the male 18-49 demo is outdrew Oregon vs. Michigan on ABC, NASCAR on ABC, Virginia Tech vs. LSU on ESPN, and Penn St. vs. Notre Dame on ESPN.

For males 18-34, it outdrew all those events with the lone exception being NASCAR.

Hey, here’s a random thought pertaining to the UFC and Spike TV. Why not make the Michael Bisping vs. Matt Hamill rematch another edition of “Bad Blood” and televise it live free on Spike?

This is one thing I hate about boxing and MMA - the decisions. I think in too close to call fights, there should be a 10 minute overtime period in major matches. Maybe it would not affect this match, since I wouldn't consider it a major match perse ... but I would love to see some more time allotted for fights to get a clean decision. Sometimes I miss the marathon type of ancient UFC rules.

No doubt Bisping dominated the 1st. He hurt Bisping with a right hand right off the bat and again near the end of the round. He out scored Bisping and busted him up. It was a very impressive round for Hamill but still a 10-9 round. Not dominate enough for a 10-8.

:lol

I know it is a typo but still hits me as funny as hell considering the situation.

Bishman

Like Rampage said in his post fight interview: MMA is taking over.

That is a such a great ratings. I was scared that the main event wouldn't draw for the casuals, but it did better than Tito vs Ken back in October. Good news for Rampage, Kongo, Bisping, Hammil, Marcus Davis, and Houston Alexander. Millions of people saw them fight.

Bishman

BSsBrolly said:
I'm not buying into the Houston Alexander hype until he fights someone legit. Same goes for Brandon Vera.
Brandon Vera is the truth. You will see in October. Betting all my money on the truth. $$.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
michaeld said:
Damn Cro Crop needs a win BAD. So does Chuck Lidell, or they are on the road to washed up.

Come on. Chuck got caught by one counterpunch and now he's on the road to washed up? I can understand if he lost two in a row badly in the first round, but everybody gets caught eventually and ends up on someone else's highlight reel, unless you're Fedor.

Piscopink

michaeld said:
Damn Cro Crop needs a win BAD. So does Chuck Lidell, or they are on the road to washed up.

I agree with this statement. Chuck needs a win. That knockout punch along with his incoherent babbling on TV may spell disaster if he doesn't turn things around.

Cro Cop needs to train with Pai Mei.

Kill_Bill_Vol_2_screenshot_1.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Bishman said:
Brandon Vera is the truth. You will see in October. Betting all my money on the truth. $$.

Damn right baby! He's probably my favorite HW in the UFC right now. he's also the reason Fedor is so scared to sign. :D

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I thought Cro Cop signed a 6 fight contract? According to Joe Rogan and Sherdog's radio show, it was only 4.

His next fight will be his last, as dana aint going to resign him for that amount of money again, and Mirko most likely wont fight for less - nevermind that he has made his intention of retiring after finishing his contract crystal clear.

This is how he should be remembered:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4753764572880477672&q=mirko+crocop+hilite&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Asbel

The Black Brad Pitt said:
I thought Cro Cop signed a 6 fight contract? According to Joe Rogan and Sherdog's radio show, it was only 4.

His next fight will be his last, as dana aint going to resign him for that amount of money again, and Mirko most likely wont fight for less - nevermind that he has made his intention of retiring after finishing his contract crystal clear.

This is how he should be remembered:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4753764572880477672&q=mirko+crocop+hilite&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0
Well, I'd like to see a classic rematch against Nog then. Although, if he beats Nog, that could screw up the title picture..

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Asbel said:
Well, I'd like to see a classic rematch against Nog then. Although, if he beats Nog, that could screw up the title picture..
Right now, he doesnt deserve anymore than a rematch with Eddie Sanchez.

Asbel

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Right now, he doesnt deserve anymore than a rematch with Eddie Sanchez.
I know, I was thinking more of a retirement gift for him and the fans.

ToxicAdam said:
Why not Crocop v Sylvia? Especially if Sylvia loses his next fight to Vera ... it would make some sense.
Yeah, I could see him taking on the loser of that match.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just got done watching the prelims.......

Liaudin vs Torres was a fun fight.....did I say fight? I meant beating. Torres had no answer for The Jokers stand up and wasnt given much time to get the fight to the ground. He did show some hart though cuz he kept getting nailed but kept coming back for more. After he was knocked down a third time the ref finally showed some mercy and stopped the fight.

Siver vs Kotani was pretty one sided as well. Kotani couldnt stop the take down and was pretty helpless to Siver's barrage of elbows. Kotani's face was completely busted up and cut in several place by the time the round ended. Kotani decided to push the pace in the second but after a couple nice exchanges Siver ducked a punch and came back with a wicked left hook that put Kotani's lights out.

Silva vs Drwal was a sloppy brawl. Both guys were swinging for the fences early and often. Drwal was pretty much gassed halfway through the first and Silva gassed early in the second round. But that did stop them from try to knock each others heads off. It was Silvas knees and kicks to the body(he does train with Shogun and Wandy after all) that made the diffrence. He eventually caught Drwal and finshed him off.

Etim vs Tibau was pretty boring. Which sucks because it was the one I was looking forward too most. But it was like a Sean Sherk fight. Takedown after takedown from Tibau but Etim was never really in any danger. Unanimous decision for Tibau in a snoozer.

I'd like to see Siver and Tibau fight next. Both guys are tanks at 155.

123rl

I finally got to watch UFC75 and it was a great show. Every fight was good in its own way. The Bisping fight has been blown out of proportion though. I do think Hamill should have won but it was very close. Hamill won the 1st round and Bisping probably won the 3rd. The 2nd round was too close to call. It's certainly not the screwjob that everyone is claiming it to be, IMHO

Kak.efes

Boogie posted an awesome Cro-cop video a while ago, I've been trying to find it- to no avail. It was pure knockouts, and kicks. Probably the best Cro-cop video out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom