• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Word Ace Thread of iPhone & Palm Pre Cross-platform Play

Stumpokapow said:
I think it's cheating if you consult the list in order to boost your score. I don't think it's cheating at Scrabble to have a Scrabble dictionary, and people have already complained in this thread that words that they knew were words were rejected, and it's because of a discrepancy between the words we know and the words on the TWL list.

What helava says there makes perfect sense to me. A word list is not cheating; using a word list to game the system is.

Valid, but I don't think it should be published so well and easily.

helava

Yeah, it'd be great if it was secret, but honestly, TWL is a widely used and widely-available dictionary. While in my ideal world, we'd keep the dictionary a secret, we can't. :p Having one that people can easily use when they want to verify words is a convenience, IMO, and not a hinderance. I get where you're coming from, and the sentiment is greatly appreciated, but the cat's long since out of the bag, and there's no way to put it back in. :)

It's up to us to devise ways in which we can minimize the cheaters' impact, and keep the game fun for everyone!
seppo

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jessecuster said:
Valid, but I don't think it should be published so well and easily.

I guess, but most people who play Scrabble have a Scrabble dictionary and it's not just to call each other out. It's also for things like what I'm about to do--

Best words in the game:
Waxwork
Jukebox

Both are 29 base points + full length bonuses.

Highest scoring 4 letter words: Quiz--20 points. Jivy, Joky, Waxy. All 19 points.
Highest scoring 3 letter words: Zax--17 points. Jaw, Jew, Jow, Kex, Vex, Vox, Wax, Wiz, Zek. All 15 points.

Knowing these words would definitely be useful for going for the "Win with 3 letters" and "Win with 4 letters" achievements!

helava said:
It's up to us to devise ways in which we can minimize the cheaters' impact, and keep the game fun for everyone!
seppo

There are a few different ways you can track the rarity of words, either as a "This person used a word that has never been used by any other player... Hmm.." measure, or tracking the rarity of a word versus the corpus of English. Identifying people with a high percentage of un-common words or words with uncommon modifiers would be a fairly good way to screen for cheaters.

helava said:
Yeah, it'd be great if it was secret, but honestly, TWL is a widely used and widely-available dictionary. While in my ideal world, we'd keep the dictionary a secret, we can't. :p Having one that people can easily use when they want to verify words is a convenience, IMO, and not a hinderance. I get where you're coming from, and the sentiment is greatly appreciated, but the cat's long since out of the bag, and there's no way to put it back in. :)

seppo

I just hope my brain can keep up with whoever "cheats". I have played a ton of Scrabble in my life.

Foob

When I get Word Ace Pro, will all my stats and stuff transfer over, provided it's on the same phone?

mrkgoo

Foob said:
When I get Word Ace Pro, will all my stats and stuff transfer over, provided it's on the same phone?

It seems like a lot of that is server side.

I know apps are sandboxes, but can one app call another apps save area?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
mrkgoo said:
I want to know if english spelling is in the twl. Like "colour".

That's the difference between having the word list and using it, I guess. :lol

COLOUR, ARMOUR, HONOUR--English spellings are included for every word I checked. Of course, so are American spellings. You're safe either way.

mrkgoo

helava said:

seppo
I feel bad for using a dictionary the other day now :(.

Oh well, I guess I should stop.

Flunkie

Banned
centracore said:
Thanks to some awful betting/bluffing on my behalf! :lol
Haha, I thought I was done for after you called. I figured you hit both the J and K (lol, this sounds just like we're discussing poker here - J and K are commonly used for Jack and King hahaha) for some 20-something word and were gonna plow through my fresh stack of chips. :lol I would've still called an all-in by you, though.

Stumpokapow said:
That's the difference between having the word list and using it, I guess. :lol
Looking up stuff beforehand or afterwards, like "colour," a word you're not sure of, is perfectly fine by me. Using it while playing is NOT cool.

That said, I would have saved a lot of embarrassment by looking up "paven." :lol

Oh, and by the way - I cracked up at "coy" vs. "coyer earlier" earlier.

LCfiner

I just failed out of a table by spelling yaoi

I REGRET NOTHING!

and, if anyone wants to whup my illiterate ass...

LCfiner

helava

Flunkie said:
I finally get why you put "Seppo" after every post and where your GAF name comes from after reading the Credits section in this game. :D

Heh. Did you click on the pic?

seppo

mrkgoo

N Coward Parody said:
Great games earlier tonight, fellas... Oh so melmy...

a9mrsz.png

Oh the drama! 1440 pot, I thought I had it with "Quits", and figured if anyone had an 'E', they could equal it, but then the 'R' Dropped and I knew it was all over...

iw5g1c.png

Can't wait for the big bucks tables - soon this will seem ilk small fry.

centracore

helava said:
LOL! Love the little card headings. :D
seppo

Thanks for the images so I could make it happen seppo. Had a lot of fun playing everyone tonight, can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Add me to the list.

Friend code: 60819

Costanza

Banned
helava, if I were to do a restore, NOT from backup, will my friend code and profile be reset? I'm assuming it's tied to UDID since the Pro version is going to transfer stuff over.

Barrett2

I've been in a few epic battles this morning with a random player. I love when you get those classic poker showdown moments. :D

Remy

Ran into my first game this morning against a guy who pushed all in before the flop on every hand.

If that's not a sign of success, I don't know what is.

BTW, seppo - I realize this might break the card distribution a bit, but perhaps the "Q" card should be a "Qu" card, just so it gets a little more play? Just a random thought.

Flunkie

Banned
Remy said:
Ran into my first game this morning against a guy who pushed all in before the flop on every hand.

BTW, seppo - I realize this might break the card distribution a bit, but perhaps the "Q" card should be a "Qu" card, just so it gets a little more play? Just a random thought.
9 times out of 10, when I'm dealt a "Q," I get a "U" to go along with it.

mrkgoo said:
:lol :lol You were waiting on an "R," weren't you?

Barrett2

I got my degenerate, gambling brothers-in-law to download the game, they both seem hyped about it. Can't wait to play em' later tonight.

helava

Remy said:

We gave that some thought when we were coming up with the word distribution. We actually had a lot more "power up" cards - word multipliers, etc.

Thing with the "Qu" is that it does make the Q "just another card" - with the Q as a standalone, but high-value card, it makes the Q sort of special, and you get a lot more "interesting situations," I think. :)

We'll see, though - we've got a lot of other ideas for alternate decks for different tables, so we may have more options in the future.

Cheers!
seppo

mrkgoo

helava said:
We gave that some thought when we were coming up with the word distribution. We actually had a lot more "power up" cards - word multipliers, etc.

Thing with the "Qu" is that it does make the Q "just another card" - with the Q as a standalone, but high-value card, it makes the Q sort of special, and you get a lot more "interesting situations," I think. :)

We'll see, though - we've got a lot of other ideas for alternate decks for different tables, so we may have more options in the future.

Cheers!
seppo

I think what you've hit is pretty good. Powerup cards only serve to take out the strategic element - the Q,J etc are enough power cards, but only if people know how to use them.

Something I'm not sure is clear, (but obvious when you use it) is that the +5 for 6-letter words is plus 5 total, when I saw the way it was presented, I thought it was +5 in addition to the +2, as the circle before it had +2 already, which you get for 5 letters.

helava said:

Cheers!
seppo

Awesome! Any idea for some speed tables? Maybe tables that the timer is cut in half? What about mini tournaments? Or some game with increasing blinds?

Barrett2

Timer length is killing me, all it takes is one person to run out the clock on each decision and it kills the flow of the game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
lawblob said:
Timer length is killing me, all it takes is one person to run out the clock on each decision and it kills the flow of the game.

Yeah, particularly if you have 3 or 4 people in at the end of the hand, at least one chump is not going to lock in their word until the timer runs out.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
DEBUG BRIGADE REPORTING FOR DUTY.

Found a small glitch.
3023vwo.jpg

2jakmki.jpg

When you multi-touch a letter and move it around, when the hand ends it'll stick to the screen. This doesn't affect gameplay, and is generally a minor flaw, but you have to restart to get rid of it.

I did it by accident once, and then could replicate it every time.

Just thought I'd let you know, seppo.

Edit: Here's another shot.
6nqcew.jpg

Maybe I'll try spelling something out on my screen. :lol

Top Bottom