• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Word Ace Thread of iPhone & Palm Pre Cross-platform Play

mrkgoo

I'm not sure if it was posted, but a good interview with Seppo detailing some notes about the games development:

Self Aware Games Blog link to:

http://pre101.com/blog/2009/09/03/interview-with-self-aware-games-seppo-helava/

http://thecurrentgamer.wordpress.co...ew-self-aware-games-of-taxiball-and-word-ace/

The release of Word Ace still has me reeling.

I mean, I'm not sure if it were all deliberate, because it seems the Pre platform may be their choice of development platform, but it's genius.

Release on Pre first, where the userbase and appstore are not as mature - this means any release will get more notice. After it gets released on iPhone, there is already buzz and 10s of thousands of players to play against. Then the paid version hits, scaling it all up after addicting people.

I was speaking about how this is also a perfect setup to create mindshare - something perhaps more valuable than the money earned in early releases, then Seppo mentions Card Ace, a Texas Hold'em based on the same engine coming for Pre. I'm convinced it's a setup for world domination. (touch wood).

Apologies if I'm over-excitable. It's the lack of sleep.

helava

The only real question re: Card Ace is whether it's worth trying to "fight" Zynga's Live Poker.

But at the same time, what we want to do is create some real cross-game integration. Same profile, all the same social features, Awards, blah blah blah in poker. Even share the same chip stack, for people that want to.

I'm pretty sure it'll show up. :)

seppo

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
it's strange how sometimes you get on a table and it feels like you get all the great hands. I once left with 6k and feeling rather guilty and other times you sit there and get zilch.

LCfiner

kaizoku said:
it's strange how sometimes you get on a table and it feels like you get all the great hands. I once left with 6k and feeling rather guilty and other times you sit there and get zilch.

I get so many hands with my two cards being 1 point cards. so hard to get anything decent with that.

just gotta go with the flow.

mrkgoo

helava said:
The only real question re: Card Ace is whether it's worth trying to "fight" Zynga's Live Poker.

But at the same time, what we want to do is create some real cross-game integration. Same profile, all the same social features, Awards, blah blah blah in poker. Even share the same chip stack, for people that want to.

I'm pretty sure it'll show up. :)

seppo

You know, I didn't even know that existed. I can see some of your influence now. You're not supposed to advertise for competitors!

helava

mrkgoo said:
You know, I didn't even know that existed. I can see some of your influence now. You're not supposed to advertise for competitors!

Heh. :) Well, uh... crap!

Yeah, Word Ace's interface was influenced by all the major online Hold 'Em interfaces out there. We figured so many of them used the same kinds of conventions that we didn't want to break with tradition where tradition worked. We just broke it where we could make it better. :)

seppo

mrkgoo

helava said:
Heh. :) Well, uh... crap!

Yeah, Word Ace's interface was influenced by all the major online Hold 'Em interfaces out there. We figured so many of them used the same kinds of conventions that we didn't want to break with tradition where tradition worked. We just broke it where we could make it better. :)

seppo
Haha out of some artificial sense of "loyalty", I'm looking for excuses not to try zynga. Gaffers not there. It looks gaudy. It's too big. Does it require a face book account?

Lol this is what mindshare gets you! Mind you, without the word element, I'll probably lose interest a bit more quickly. I'm guessing it's a liot of waiting. In word ace, I'm pretty much spamming the mix button.

Cross game interaction sounds like a great idea!

helava

Hold 'Em's a different game, for sure. In some sense, there's more waiting - as there's really nothing to do while other people are betting. At the same time, there's no "Word Ace" time after all the betting's done - it's just, "BAM!" result. Which is nice.

I find after Word Ace, Hold 'Em's ... a little boring. I know a lot of people will say otherwise, and I think Hold 'Em in *person* is really interesting, because you can spend a lot of time "reading" your opponents. But on something like the iPhone, the only other thing you can do is talk to your opponents...

So, where I think our game will kick the crap out of all our opponents is that no other multiplayer game like this on the iPhone or Pre (or even Facebook or anywhere) has the emotes, or is as feature-rich as Word Ace. So when we carry all that over to Hold 'Em, I think it'll be a really social version of Hold 'Em, where people will interact a lot more than they would in other versions of the game.

And ours looks a LOT better than any of the competition, IMO... :) (I can say that 'cause I'm not the artist! Ha!)

seppo

mrkgoo

helava said:
Hold 'Em's a different game, for sure. In some sense, there's more waiting - as there's really nothing to do while other people are betting. At the same time, there's no "Word Ace" time after all the betting's done - it's just, "BAM!" result. Which is nice.

I find after Word Ace, Hold 'Em's ... a little boring. I know a lot of people will say otherwise, and I think Hold 'Em in *person* is really interesting, because you can spend a lot of time "reading" your opponents. But on something like the iPhone, the only other thing you can do is talk to your opponents...

So, where I think our game will kick the crap out of all our opponents is that no other multiplayer game like this on the iPhone or Pre (or even Facebook or anywhere) has the emotes, or is as feature-rich as Word Ace. So when we carry all that over to Hold 'Em, I think it'll be a really social version of Hold 'Em, where people will interact a lot more than they would in other versions of the game.

And ours looks a LOT better than any of the competition, IMO... :) (I can say that 'cause I'm not the artist! Ha!)

seppo

Nice recover :)

I can see your point entirely about WA vs. TH.

Reno7728

BTW Seppo when the facebook program hits can we import our profiles - or do we make a new one
can we play agianst ourselves? :)

Also do you have any rough figures of pre vs iphone users?

helava

Reno7728 said:
BTW Seppo when the facebook program hits can we import our profiles - or do we make a new one
can we play agianst ourselves? :)

Also do you have any rough figures of pre vs iphone users?

The current plan, if it all works out (and it looks like it should) is that you'll be able to link your FB profile to your Word Ace account. So wherever you're playing, you'll be earning XP for your one profile, and using the same chips everywhere.

As for figures of Pre vs. iPhone... right now, it's about 10 Pre : 1 iPhone, but the iPhones are picking up some steam. The Pre had a week and a half head start, so I'm hoping the iPhones will see the same kinds of numbers, and the Pre audience is continuing to grow!

seppo

Reno7728

helava said:
The current plan, if it all works out (and it looks like it should) is that you'll be able to link your FB profile to your Word Ace account. So wherever you're playing, you'll be earning XP for your one profile, and using the same chips everywhere.

As for figures of Pre vs. iPhone... right now, it's about 10 Pre : 1 iPhone, but the iPhones are picking up some steam. The Pre had a week and a half head start, so I'm hoping the iPhones will see the same kinds of numbers, and the Pre audience is continuing to grow!

seppo

Thanks a lot!

P.S would this also be doable if you upgraded from ipod to iphone?

helava

Reno7728 said:
Thanks a lot!

P.S would this also be doable if you upgraded from ipod to iphone?

That's the plan, yeah! Basically any device you're playing WA on, you should just be able to hop on and use the same ID.

seppo

Reno7728

helava said:
That's the plan, yeah! Basically any device you're playing WA on, you should just be able to hop on and use the same ID.

seppo

sweeeeeet - now i can upgrade to an iphone just to play word ace on the bus! :D

helava

A friend of mine's fiancee almost bought a new iTouch, just because she wanted to play Word Ace (she doesn't have an iPhone). I managed to warn her that 9/9's likely to have new Touch hardware, but I thought it was awesome that she'd go that far to get Word Ace! It's crazy!

seppo

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
think gaffers need a call-sign or something, I run into guys I haven't added yet but who're playing with guys I have added, but I dont wanna say "are you gaf?" in case they're not - which happened today >_<

Reno7728

kaizoku said:
think gaffers need a call-sign or something, I run into guys I haven't added yet but who're playing with guys I have added, but I dont wanna say "are you gaf?" in case they're not - which happened today >_<
We could just add it in brackets before our names e.g [GAF] Reno

Foob

helava said:

seppo
Hang on, what would stop someone from using my name on a different phone then?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Seppo, I just had an awesome idea for something you might be able to implement into your next update.
When the hand ends, as the letters clear away, have the game show you the best possible word you could have made using the available letters. I've often wondered this as a hand ends.

It sort of adds to the educational aspect of the game, as well.

Something to think about.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've used Live Poker for a long while now, and while I really do like it, it's not quite as clean or snappy as word ace. So, releasing card ace would be nice for the few of us able to make the quality distinction between the two apps, but my guess is it wouldn't be worth competing against Live Poker, unless your costs to port it are fairly minimal.

helava

Dacvak said:
Seppo, I just had an awesome idea for something you might be able to implement into your next update.
When the hand ends, as the letters clear away, have the game show you the best possible word you could have made using the available letters. I've often wondered this as a hand ends.

It sort of adds to the educational aspect of the game, as well.

Something to think about.

It's something that's come up a few times, both internally, and as a suggestion from players. We'll definitely give it some consideration. There are a few small reasons why it's not a complete no-brainer to do, but we'll see. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!
seppo

Dacvak

helava said:
It's something that's come up a few times, both internally, and as a suggestion from players. We'll definitely give it some consideration. There are a few small reasons why it's not a complete no-brainer to do, but we'll see. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!
seppo
Out of curiosity, what are the reasons? (If you're allowed to say)

Dacvak

Costanza said:
Playing now. anyone want to join?
I get one phone call and then suddenly the room is full.

TAXED.

Dacvak

seppo, here's a genuinely good suggestion:
When you're in a game, allow yourself to click on your own picture to bring up your profile. This allows you to see how much money you have. In our GAF games, we frequently ask each other "how much do I have?," and someone else has to check. It'd be mad convenient to just be able to do it ourselves.

Secondly, how much money do you lose if you get disconnected? A few other people said they lost some mad cash for getting a disconnect. I got a phone call in the middle of a game, did I lose money? If so, maybe that's something that should/could be altered?

helava

In theory, you should only be losing the money in the pot, and not the money in your hand when you're lagged out or otherwise disconnected. On the server side, it'll keep your connection active for about a minute or so if you're connection dies mysteriously, so that if you rejoin the game, you'll rejoin in exactly the same state.

If you're losing the money that's in your hand, there must be something going funky on the servers. We'll take a look.

Thanks.
seppo

helava

Dacvak said:
seppo, here's a genuinely good suggestion:
When you're in a game, allow yourself to click on your own picture to bring up your profile. This allows you to see how much money you have. In our GAF games, we frequently ask each other "how much do I have?," and someone else has to check. It'd be mad convenient to just be able to do it ourselves.

Secondly, how much money do you lose if you get disconnected? A few other people said they lost some mad cash for getting a disconnect. I got a phone call in the middle of a game, did I lose money? If so, maybe that's something that should/could be altered?

The other suggestion was genuinely good, as well - don't sell yourself short. :) (in terms of details, some of 'em are kind of esoteric, but one has to do with efficiency - our online dictionary verification's done on the server side, and spitting out the highest scoring words for all the players adds a reasonable load to the servers. Not an issue now, but we were really worried about keeping things minimal and stable at the start - after all, while making $0 for the game, we're still paying for bandwidth & servers...)

In terms of the new suggestion, actually, we had that throughout development, and we'll be bringing it back shortly when a new feature goes live. Without that feature, there was much *less* reason to click on your own avatar, and when it happened accidentally, it was annoying. So we disabled it. But it'll be back.

It's definitely useful to be able to see your own stats - we'll also end up adding you to your friend list automatically, because we're going to let you sort your friend list by a bunch of different metrics so that it acts as a local leaderboard. You'll be able to see where you sit among your friends for XP, best word, $$, etc.

So, yes - clicking on your own avatar to see stuff will definitely be back.

seppo

Dacvak

Your game has taught me that I can no longer rely on the English language when words like "Zek" and "Kex" are real.

I'm going to go rethink my life.

Dacvak

helava said:
Without that feature, there was much *less* reason to click on your own avatar, and when it happened accidentally, it was annoying. So we disabled it. But it'll be back.

Perhaps make it double-click, then? (One click to highlight for a second, the next to bring up the stat sheet?)

Flunkie

Banned
helava said:
The other suggestion was genuinely good, as well - don't sell yourself short. :) (in terms of details, some of 'em are kind of esoteric, but one has to do with efficiency - our online dictionary verification's done on the server side, and spitting out the highest scoring words for all the players adds a reasonable load to the servers. Not an issue now, but we were really worried about keeping things minimal and stable at the start - after all, while making $0 for the game, we're still paying for bandwidth & servers...)

In terms of the new suggestion, actually, we had that throughout development, and we'll be bringing it back shortly when a new feature goes live. Without that feature, there was much *less* reason to click on your own avatar, and when it happened accidentally, it was annoying. So we disabled it. But it'll be back.

It's definitely useful to be able to see your own stats - we'll also end up adding you to your friend list automatically, because we're going to let you sort your friend list by a bunch of different metrics so that it acts as a local leaderboard. You'll be able to see where you sit among your friends for XP, best word, $$, etc.

So, yes - clicking on your own avatar to see stuff will definitely be back.

seppo
This all sounds fantastic. Teriffic.

I'm already getting tired of the "kex" and "zek" bullshit, though. There's no way that someone would know those without using a dictionary, and even if one did know such a bizarre word, when the hell would they ever use it in normal conversation?

Reno7728

Dacvak said:
Your game has taught me that I can no longer rely on the English language when words like "Zek" and "Kex" are real.

From the first dictionary hit on google:
zek  (zk)
n.
An inmate of a Soviet labor camp.
[Russian, from abbr. for zaklyuchënny, prisoner, from past passive participle of zaklyuchat', to imprison, from klyuch, key, from Old Church Slavonic klju.]

helava

Flunkie said:
This all sounds fantastic. Teriffic.

I'm already getting tired of the "kex" and "zek" bullshit, though. There's no way that someone would know those without using a dictionary, and even if one did know such a bizarre word, when the hell would they ever use it in normal conversation?

I hear you, re: really super obscure words. At the same time, now you know about the dry, hollow stem of plants like parsley, or the inmates of Soviet labor camps... :p

The problem is that you have to draw a line between what's a valid word and what isn't - there's almost no way to win in that situation, so what we chose to do was use what's commonly accepted as one of the two major word game standards that are used in competition.

Yes, it allows for some VERY bizarre words that almost no one uses in day-to-day conversation, and it excludes some things that people consider words. But it's much, much better to say, "Here's the standard," rather than justify each word on a case-by-case basis, which we simply can't do. :(

seppo

Flunkie

Banned
helava said:
I hear you, re: really super obscure words. At the same time, now you know about the dry, hollow stem of plants like parsley, or the inmates of Soviet labor camps... :p

The problem is that you have to draw a line between what's a valid word and what isn't - there's almost no way to win in that situation, so what we chose to do was use what's commonly accepted as one of the two major word game standards that are used in competition.

Yes, it allows for some VERY bizarre words that almost no one uses in day-to-day conversation, and it excludes some things that people consider words. But it's much, much better to say, "Here's the standard," rather than justify each word on a case-by-case basis, which we simply can't do. :(

seppo
I totally understand that. It's frustrating as a player, but as a designer, there's really no way to deal with it in a fairly and properly. On another subject..

I discovered another bug recently. It happened three times, with the same result every time. I would randomly have this happen:

2vimolf.jpg

It appears that my avatar got randomly placed in the left hand corner. When I touched my avatar-square-thing, Word Ace would crash. If I let it be, when the hand would end, it would crash immediately. So either way, it's still a crashing bug that has happened to me on three separate occasions today. After mentioning it, I never had the "letters disappearing" glitch that I had mentioned a few days ago in-game.

mrkgoo

Dacvak said:

Me too, I get killed by words like "ukases".

I need to read the twl or something.
More often than not, the words I make up don't work.

Although occasionally, they do, like worses.

Edit: just looked up ukase. And edict of the Russian government. Damn those Russians. They are killing us with Zek, and Ukases.

dock

27957540-55c075db43be3dbaa7d32897b411a16f.4aa2ff6b-full.jpg

Naughty words in word games never fail to amuse me. I should grow up! :( Haha.

My code is 73990! Please add me to the GAF list.

I'm really impressed by this. It makes me wish the iphone had a front facing camera!

helava

dock said:
27957540-55c075db43be3dbaa7d32897b411a16f.4aa2ff6b-full.jpg

Naughty words in word games never fail to amuse me. I should grow up! :( Haha.

My code is 73990! Please add me to the GAF list.

I'm really impressed by this. It makes me wish the iphone had a front facing camera!

Was that your tweet, with the screenshot? :D

seppo

mrkgoo

Costanza said:
Playing some more.. noone is on!

I got a little bit annoyed at 'cheaters'. Cheating is a harsh word, though, as they don't actually break any rules of the game - it just gives a pretty unfair advantage. I guess it's up for debate whether there is anything to being 'honourable'. I'm starting to think that 90% of the time when someone says "I hope this is a word", they know full well it is.

dock

Helava, yeah that was my tweet! :) haha.

mrkgoo said:
I got a little bit annoyed at 'cheaters'. Cheating is a harsh word, though, as they don't actually break any rules of the game - it just gives a pretty unfair advantage. I guess it's up for debate whether there is anything to being 'honourable'. I'm starting to think that 90% of the time when someone says "I hope this is a word", they know full well it is.
Yeah I know what you mean. I guessed at 'Etalon', and then I looked it up later on and it wasn't what I thought it was. That's one of the cool things about Scramboni, is that it is so fast (it's a race against opponents) that cheaters will lose out. There's no persistent score either.

Costanza

Banned
I dunno, many times I'll input something just because it sounds like it could be a word (and is worth lots of points so it's worth the risk if I can't come up with anything else). I could see others being the same way.

There's definitely some REALLY obvious cheaters, though.

Top Bottom