• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 ARG - Missing person

Skux

Is the Order logo a long snake with short legs (think Chinese dragon) eating its own tail?

TheOrderLogo-200.jpg

Handy Fake

Is the Order logo a long snake with short legs (think Chinese dragon) eating its own tail?

TheOrderLogo-200.jpg

It's an elongated dog tied into a heraldic knot. I've seen similar before. The dog is the symbol for courage, vigilance and fidelity. I'm seeing if there's a record of that knot shape in any heraldic crests.

Ouroboros is also implied since it's eating its own tail.

Edit: Actually, I'm now torn. It could be a Celtic dragon knot, which would actually tie in nicely with Arthurian legend.

Edit edit: I think it's a Celtic dog...

Handy Fake

From Google:

According to George Bain, a 20th century Scottish Celtic art professor, Celtic knots that have a closed path, (no end or beginning), are considered to be a symbol of eternity, or represent the infinite. Those with open paths are said to signify a journey (both physical and otherwise).

There are also legends that the four-cornered Celtic knot design was created as a symbol protection. In Druidic philosophies, there were four major energies, or Gods, if you will governing a specific quandrant of the world...this four-cornered emblem was used to invoke these powers for protection (in the home, corporeal protection during battle, etc.).

BraXzy

From Google:

According to George Bain, a 20th century Scottish Celtic art professor, Celtic knots that have a closed path, (no end or beginning), are considered to be a symbol of eternity, or represent the infinite. Those with open paths are said to signify a journey (both physical and otherwise).

There are also legends that the four-cornered Celtic knot design was created as a symbol protection. In Druidic philosophies, there were four major energies, or Gods, if you will governing a specific quandrant of the world...this four-cornered emblem was used to invoke these powers for protection (in the home, corporeal protection during battle, etc.).

Yeah it did give me a Celtic vibe when I first saw it. Interesting read, thanks! :)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
tumblr_niyctnIxt91u59b9oo1_1280.jpg

Don't know why this picture looks so cool to me. Looks so old and compared to the game's graphics, looks exactly like what it would look like had you found a place from 130 years ago.

BraXzy

Interesting.. so Tesla, Darwin and god knows who else are somewhat involved or related.. pretty cool.

I made a transcript of the letter as best I could.. a few of the words I couldn't make out.

Dear Lord Hastings,

I write to you in this moment of triumph in order to inform you of a discovery during my expedition, of half breed specimens we have unearthed at the remains of a settlement in New Guinea.

The particulars of these findings I shall hope to share with you as soon as I am able as they will add greatly to what we currently SOMETHING to know about them.

Again I must thank you for your generosity in allowing me the use of the United India Company facilities during my trip, they proved most SOMETHING.

Yours most sincerely

Charles Darwin

Also, someone on the blog comments has already translated the coded message which reads:

Take care in whom you trust. Half breeds are not the only ones who wear two faces.
It's all getting more and more interesting!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God dammit, people those times wrote beautiful but incomprehensible stuff.

So Darwin was part of the Order then? Most interesting! Love how RAD is focusing on discoverers and inventors.

BraXzy

God dammit, people those times wrote beautiful but incomprehensible stuff.

So Darwin was part of the Order then? Most interesting! Love how RAD is focusing on discoverers and inventors.

I really really love the whole semi-alternate reality to the whole game. It's awesome because it might have happened and we'd never know.

I like the direction they've gone with sticking roughly within our actual history with just enough fiction to be interesting. This ARG has definitely increased my hype levels so far :D

With the existence of half breeds, I wonder if Darwin's work would have been far more easily accepted in his day, and not reviled by creationists in the modern day.

The ambiguous manner in which the New Guinea settlement is described intrigues me. Was it a settlement wiped out by half breeds, or was it populated by them and they were removed later?

BraXzy

YankeeWhite on the blog worked it out, it isn't encypted as such, just hidden within the gibberish:

The truth is difficult to find sometimes what matters is not the obvious is not on the surface true meaning can sometimes be found not within but without not in the seed but the chaff clarity becomes confusion riddles hide meaning anyone who will earn my confidence must discern they must have a mind for deception at a historical level and always try to uncover the truth.

More:

Trying to make some sense of this, to get at least a top level understanding of what The Order was all about, what their goal was. It seems clear that they were fighting against some other group or groups... but who? And whose side was my great-grandfather on? Was this limited to England or a global conflict? So few answers, so many questions. I know we are close to something huge. THIRD SEGMENT: YANKEE OSCAR UNIFORM KILO NOVEMBER OSCAR WHISKEY NOVEMBER ECHO

You Know Ne

So we now have the whole tagline in chunks. So what is the NE for?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps NE is a name?

Anyway found this on Twitter, on an official Sony account:

B8lu8HKCQAAZ75M.png

The image's design totally screams out of the era when medical illustrations were very refined. Similar to Gray's Anatomy, heck it's from that time, it might just be from that book.

BraXzy

Perhaps NE is a name?

Anyway found this on Twitter, on an official Sony account:

B8lu8HKCQAAZ75M.png

The image's design totally screams out of the era when medical illustrations were very refined. Similar to Gray's Anatomy, heck it's from that time, it might just be from that book.

That's a sweet illustration. Everything that has been coming out to do with the game has been brilliant recently. The posters, the replicas, the footage..

BraXzy

How do they do this? How do you make real/fake dust?

The cobwebs too! They don't look like the typical cheap fake as hell looking ones you'd usually find. They really nailed the look of the underground area. Like if you showed me pictures and said it was an abandoned lab I wouldn't be suspicious :L

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I like what they're doing with this ARG. It's been fun to follow, even without being able to personally decipher the messages. Usually these things are too much of a rabbit hole to be able to follow for long but the images and videos have been engaging so far.

blazeuk

Yep, I've not had much of a chance to even look at anything before it's been solved already but it's good to see a story mixed in with it rather than just pages and pages of riddles with no meaning. They really do seem to have put a lot of effort into the whole thing with the replicas etc.

So we have 'Not the History You Know Ne'. which assuming NE is initials would be "Not the History You Know," - N.E. Now the question is if NE is a name, who is it?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
So we have 'Not the History You Know Ne'. which assuming NE is initials would be "Not the History You Know," - N.E. Now the question is if NE is a name, who is it?
I think it's a partial word, they said there would be four pieces to this puzzle in an earlier post

BraXzy

I don't know why but I have a hunch that Ian's great grandfather wasn't a member of the order but working against them as a spy or something.

After thinking about the whole two faces thing which might have been added later on. But also the fact that all of the stuff we have gather from the Journal itself kinda seems like outside research on it. Stuff like observing people walking in and out of a place.. And speculating on Tesla, who'd you'd think he would know about if he was in The Order?

KC Denton

The video is up!

http://theorderexposed.com/post/109777418585/crossbow-here-it-is-the-video-ive-been-holding

Posted earlier than usual today, there's also a journal entry and some more photos in some other posts. They tested Blackwater out and.. well go look!

I'm starting to think that Ian went crazy and that's why he's missing. Letting himself get shot like that isn't exactly the sign of a sane person, regardless of his confidence in the healing properties of the substance.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There's been a lot of new posts lately, damn. The video is well done too!

BraXzy

I'm starting to think that Ian went crazy and that's why he's missing. Letting himself get shot like that isn't exactly the sign of a sane person, regardless of his confidence in the healing properties of the substance.

Yeah I was thinking that. It's a bit excessive to have a cheeky crossbow bolt to the shoulder :L Could have just done a small cut.

Intrigued to find out what has happened to Ian anyway.

KC Denton

New update with 2 audio logs:
http://theorderexposed.com/post/109779075390/wax-cylinder-recordings-more-that-we-found-in-the

The first recording is propaganda for the expansion of the British empire, and listening to it kind of makes my skin crawl considering how the historical empire tended to treat the people of the lands it colonized. The second is an except from a story about King Arthur, but I don't know the significance of that beyond what we already know about the Order.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, the second recording mentions a Lady Igraine. The female character of the group is also Igraine, right? Interesting coincidence.

Skux

Shit is getting real lol... will be interesting to see how far they take this before release day.

I love the comments section of people playing along.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Whoa, the second recording mentions a Lady Igraine. The female character of the group is also Igraine, right? Interesting coincidence.
It's not a coincidence. Each member of The Order is given a code name based on Arthurian legend. She's the origin of Isabeau's code name. I think Galahad's real name is Greyson.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's not a coincidence. Each member of The Order is given a code name based on Arthurian legend. She's the origin of Isabeau's code name. I think Galahad's real name is Greyson.

Oh man, I don't know how I didn't see that. Must have missed the memo!

kyser73

And another with a newspaper clipping. I hope we get a new meaty puzzle soon :3

Something big happened in Whitechapel to do with the order it seems.

http://theorderexposed.com/post/109252527350/power-failure-one-of-the-other-newspaper

Well we know that definitely happens - the latest trailer has Galahad calling in some kind of CAS from their airship which causes a great deal of destruction.

This is also highlighted in the PSX sequence during the evacuation of the Agamemnon where Malory is chastised by a higher up for failing to 'contain the issue in Whitechapel'. Quite obviously while people are aware of the existence of The Order (the references to 'The Holy Knights' make this clear) and the lycans, the actual extent of the war is clearly unknown, so what looks like the flattening of a large chunk of Whitechapel in what was supposed to be a 'black ops' mission against the rebels gone awry wasn't appreciated by the higher-ups.

That there's a conspiracy within The Order is also clear from the fact the rebels have access to the supposedly secret materiel developed by Tesla.

Goddamn, this is a brilliant campaign - so well produced and the different trailers all tie back to each other, so there's nothing revealed in theorderexposed that hasn't been seen in the BCO spots and the actual trailers and PSX demo of the game.

Top Bottom