• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

Just wondering, what TPS do you like?

You're not "just wondering" lol.

That catch-all criticism "generic" is getting some use though, when that gif suggests it's anything but generic.

It's not really the visuals people are complaining about.

Man it's almost like people are doing that exact thing I said they'd be doing with the incredibly shallow attempts at deflecting criticisms aimed at the actual gameplay.

xdsqwe.gif

Shame that they aren't releasing the rest of the demo to the public. I think the rest of the air ship stuff looks spectacular. Instead we get to see the inside of a kitchen.

oh boy.

RaD is doing a phenomenal job of totally killing the hype that anyone has for this game. Hopefully we'll get to see the PSX demo before launch.

OsirisBlack

Banned
This game is the continual butt of all jokes, and it's all because they cannot figure out a way to give consumers a decent look at the game without cutting away or some random tom fuckery.

I was hyped like no other for this game- than the conferene happened.

I didn't care anymore, until I saw that IGN video. What are you doing Ready at Dawn? Who is in charge of this absolutely borderline STUPID decision to not show off a steady, long shot of the GAME.

LOL Calm down watch the official video its in the kitchen but it looks damn good (not the same as the stage video) and as you stated the IGN video was nothing but positive. The game seems to be very story driven to the point where showing anything is a spoiler. Even Percival arguing on the deck of the Zeppelin seemed pretty spoiler heavy as it seems he was arguing with his commanding officer.

Man it's almost like people are doing that exact thing I said they'd be doing with the incredibly shallow attempts at deflecting criticisms aimed at the actual gameplay.

1) the actual gameplay is varied. it has stealth, puzzle, mini games, shooting, etc.

2) if you are talking about the weapons then we will get varied weapons as well and we can cycle through them no doubt. don't mistake shooting with one weapon in a demo as the entire game. that is powerfully stupid.

3) that was a 2-minute preview of a 30-minute demo. the demo contains more gameplay segments, and are again varied in tasks the same way uncharted 4 was not just about shooting and climbing.

4) we haven't seen the whole game. there will be things that rad wouldn't spoil for us, and not just story stuff.

5) this has always been a 3rd person shooter set in 1886 with crazy weapons but still grounded in reality. this is not vanquish in terms of movement, nor are the weapons ratchet and clank.

OsirisBlack

Banned

Yes but the feedback from the game play is largely positive. Am I missing something?

benzy

laa-yosh from beyond3d ( i think this guy works in the industry of cg movie i'm not sure) but he wrote that the order gameplay and cinematics are night and day in difference (in uncharted 4 thread)...O_O I'm blind, i can't see it!

Yeah, I disagree with that too. This is one of the few games where graphical differences between gameplay/interactive scenes and full on cutscenes are almost completely unnoticeable. It's a huge step up over something like Resident Evil 5.

nzdwcv.gif

mrzszu.gif

Well how do we judge bland, generic, uninspiring, etc...

...If no one here has actually played the game?

So far if I am correct..Lot of people are basing this off of the mention of

Cinematic
QTE
TPS
Corridor

But no one has yet to actually play the game to level out how much these elements impact the game. No one has the controller in their hand, but they are summing it up to, "Well the gameplay sucks."

How does one get to that conclusion while not even playing it?

For reference purposes, I think the game looks good. It looks like a game that is playable that has a lot of story, areas, and probably more surprises as it gets close. We don't exactly know what the other characters do, and how big scale wise this game is.

This is literally the first game that I know where the developers are really keeping this game's secret tight.

This game is the continual butt of all jokes, and it's all because they cannot figure out a way to give consumers a decent look at the game without cutting away or some random tom fuckery.

I didn't care anymore, until I saw that IGN video. What are you doing Ready at Dawn? Who is in charge of this absolutely borderline STUPID decision to not show off a steady, long shot of the GAME.

Maybe they're just setting expectations low and not spoiling a whole lot, so when the final game releases people will be pleasantly surprised by all the game offers?

Seems like too many games have everything spoiled before hand, yet we're still left wondering about all the features, mechanics, and enemy variety that will be featured in this game.

It looks like everything is extremely solid mechanically and visually, but yeah, they haven't really seemed too let go and show us solid, extended gameplay.

Still surprised this hasn't been delayed beyond the Feb 20th release date. But then again it looked very solid at PSX, unlike previous builds.

BadAss2961

They need this person to play when they're doing all of their demos from now on.

I have this feeling that the guys from RAD are just really bad at selling their own game.
A good player can always make the difference. Bad players can make any game look bad.

Some noob could've completely fucked up that Uncharted demo and made the game look bad.

well ff7 had to be announced. ahahha.

seriously though, we know there's a 30-min demo and obviously it was cut short to fit the presentation. uc4 had the luxury to show off 15 minutes while the order had to do with 2 minutes. they can show off everything that uc4 did within that short a time span.

KzGr0g.gif
Stuff like "press L3 and R3 together" is just unnecessary fluff that takes away from the pacing, the same with multi button qte melee, either do chain melee or one button quick kill, RAD needs to learn from TLOU.

They need to show a bigger level with multiple paths and let the player choose which way to approach and better enemy dynamics than just super tight corridors in the kitchen.

Ricky_R

I just think they really want to show as little as possible and are having a hard time finding a balance.

I love the art direction in this game

giphy.gif

Only one minor complaint I have and it's for all cover based shooting games. Can animators please make animations for the person(s) behind cover reacting to lead flying at their face at hundreds of MPH? It drives me nuts. Only game I can think that had it really well done was Uncharted.

Game looks great to me. But then again, I have no problem with third person shooters so I'm not really seeing much of a problem.

1) the actual gameplay is varied. it has stealth, puzzle, mini games, shooting, etc.

Nothing about puzzles, forced stealth, or mini games (lol wat) is really making what I've seen look any better. The terrible health system isn't going away and I have to assume there's going to be a lot of gun fights with the human enemies (which have all looked boring and incredibly plain) seeing how that's basically all they want to show off.

Stuff like "press L3 and R3 together" is just unnecessary fluff that takes away from the pacing, the same with multi button qte melee, either do chain melee or one button quick kill, RAD needs to learn from TLOU.

They need to show a bigger level with multiple paths and let the player choose which way to approach and better enemy dynamics than just super tight corridors in the kitchen.

here we go again.

did tlou have any minigames? this is a simple minigame. takes away from pacing, my ass. it takes 2 seconds, you can fail, and it's better than triangle.

no. the kitchen was designed to have an intense firefight within a small area with limited room to move. it is a quick firefight that tests your reflexes and your ability to decide where to go given a small amount of space. it lasted two minutes. two.

the best parts of tlou were those within a tight area as well. not everything has to be "multiple paths and open" bullshit. it is not like you can only position yourself in a single area within the kitchen as well.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Nothing about puzzles, forced stealth, or mini games (lol wat) is really making what I've seen look any better. The terrible health system isn't going away and I have to assume there's going to be a lot of gun fights with the human enemies (which have all looked boring and incredibly plain) seeing how that's basically all they want to show off.

Let me ask you a question, what type of health system would you prefer? I mean you get hurt screen turns red and bloody, you drink black water to heal.

Ellite25

Yeah, but its not like other TPS only show off those types of segments as some of the best parts of the game (which a gameplay trailer is supposed to be--the very best of the game aimed at driving hype and sales).
Well think of Uncharted 4, they didn't show off anything crazy, but we expect there to be much bigger set pieces and experiences that they haven't shown yet. While we haven't had any other Order games yet, I think we can safely assume the entire game is not exactly like this video and that there will be some cool stuff. We know there are Lycans, a wide variety of crazy gadgets and guns, etc. Maybe they're, you know, not trying to ruin everything before we play it. As much as I've been blown away by Uncharted in the past, I was always disappointed that they blew some of the big set pieces at shows. RAD is a very capable studio, and I think the reviews will speak for themselves and help sell this game when it comes out.

Elandyll

Banned
You know what, if wanting to play a game with (hopefully) a great story, great visuals, and a more linear gameplay to follow the story tightly makes me having bad taste in games, then guilty as charged.

Many are already calling this the "Ryse of the PS4", but what I see here seem to have much more ambition. It remains to be seen if said ambition is realized, but I for one am willing to be open minded and optimistic about the outcome rather than a jaded & sarcastic negative nancy who can only muster the force to show up in threads about a game I've (or so I seem to repeat) given up all hopes about, if only in order to voice my opinion of everything about said game being shit and barely worth mentionning, let alone trying to play it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Definitely looks like one of those games that won't review well. However, I think I'm going to love it.
Game looks like it's shaping up how I wanted to. Great visuals, punchy combat, and quality atmosphere. Not expecting it to be GoTY quality but a decent start for a new IP and a fun TPS when there hasn't been a good one for a while.

basically you are hating on the game because it isn't what you want it to be?

forced stealth? it's called designing gameplay around story. i guess you feel like everything has to be deus ex. not everything has to have an open-ended approach to gameplay. if it is a level meant to be stealthy because the story requires it to be, so be it. this isn't "choose your own adventure".

terrible health system? okay so you just hate health regen.

luca_29_bg

Yeah, I disagree with that too. This is one of the few games where graphical differences between gameplay/interactive scenes and full on cutscenes are almost completely unnoticeable. It's a huge step up over something like Resident Evil 5.

nzdwcv.gif

mrzszu.gif

yeah i don't agree me too! I can't see any difference!

Let me ask you a question, what type of health system would you prefer? I mean you get hurt screen turns red and bloody, you drink black water to heal.

Is the black water limited? I didn't see him do any motion to heal nor did I see his inventory change. Seems like incredibly typical regen health.

I prefer just a flat health bar with items you can carry to heal yourself. That way there's an actual sense of punishment that you can't just wave away by playing incredibly conservative, lets you vary how much enemies hurt you more (in pretty much every regen health game on the harder difficulties enemies have to hurt you hard because it's the only way for them to do anything, which really kills pacing), and still lets the player be in control of their health. I mean if you're worried about the hitscan weapons being a problem with no regen health you can allow the player to regen a small amount back but this just seems like typical braindead AAA health system shit to me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You know what, if wanting to play a game with (hopefully) a great story, great visuals, and a more linear gameplay to follow the story tightly makes me having bad taste in games, then guilty as charged.

Many are already calling this the "Ryse of the PS4", but what I see here seem to have much more ambition. It remains to be seen if said ambition is realized, but I for one am willing to be open minded and optimistic about the outcome rather than a jaded & sarcastic negative nancy who can only muster the force to show up in threads about a game I've (or so I seem to repeat) given up all hopes about, if only in order to voice my opinion of everything about said game being shit and barely worth mentionning, let alone trying to play it.
This game has had bad vibes on gas with the stupid Starkey remarks almost since the beginning. It's going to be hard to have good rational discussion about this game until we get the official thread up prior to release. I just watch from the sidelines and get irritated but I am too preoccupied with reality to invest s but not ignoring angst over the stupidity that is posted here sometimes.

I end up ignoring the posts but not ignoring people. They are annoying and I wouldn't really want to deal with him in reality but it's just a forum after all too so I arbitrarily weed out the obnoxiousness.

ron_bato

isn't any gaffer in vegas to give us a hands on report ;)

Vivek is lining up as we speak. However, the line for the demo is crazy long, I think it's the longest at the show (based on what Ru said). It might take a while but I'm looking forward to some impressions from Gaffers.

Definitely looks like one of those games that won't review well. However, I think I'm going to love it.

This. I can see where people have their gripes with this game. When RAD announced the whole seamless cutscene transition stuff people were mostly excited, but it seems a lot werent expecting it to be this sort of gameplay/cutscene/gameplay/semiQTE type thing that sort of messes with how people normally experience game pacing.

Im still looking forward to the game. I love focused story driven games like these.

Oxn

I have defended this game ever since the criticisms started pouring in, but I cant anymore.

Game looks gorgous but that Kitchen segment where we get an in depth look at the gunplay looked bland as hell.

Will buy when its $20 to go through the story, cause it still looks interesting.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Is the black water limited? I didn't see him do any motion to heal nor did I see his inventory change. Seems like incredibly typical regen health.

I prefer just a flat health bar with items you can carry to heal yourself. That way there's an actual sense of punishment that you can't just wave away by playing incredibly conservative, lets you vary how much enemies hurt you more (in pretty much every regen health game on the harder difficulties enemies have to hurt you hard because it's the only way for them to do anything, which really kills pacing), and still lets the player be in control of their health. I mean if you're worried about the hitscan weapons being a problem with no regen health you can allow the player to regen a small amount back but this just seems like typical braindead AAA health system shit to me.
They have said there is a negative side effect to drinking too much black water and its a stage demo its probably on god mode as he did not heal himself once.

I understand your desire for some innovation in the genre, especially when it comes to level design and smarter enemies. U4 seems to make some progress there, while Order will offer some cool gun mechanics.

But you seem to want the fundamental mechanics of the genre to be redesigned all at once preferably yesterday, and it just won't happen. I'll be happy with some variance and select attempts at innovation. I like medpacks in TLOU but I wouldn't want them in a more fast-paced game; health regain is not inherently a bad mechanic.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I legitimately am, pretty pompous post, because I share your thoughts on this game for the most part, and often get chased out of order threads as a "concern troll", but legitimately I want to know what your favorite TPS are. Regen health shooters is not a good way of condensing it considering that's the majority of them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
More games need string heavy soundtracks.

Blueingreen

All it took was the first comment for this thread to derail, RAD just can't win, this game is sadly gonna be crucified on release.

Top Bottom