• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: The Order: 1886 Retrospective + PS5 60fps Gameplay

saintjules

Released in February 2015, The Order: 1886 was a stunning PlayStation 4 game at the cutting-edge of rendering technology, with visuals that still hold up today. The game's release pre-dated in-depth Digital Foundry coverage, something we're looking to address with this new video! Ready at Dawn's game never received a sequel and never received a PS4 Pro upgrade, but thanks to developments with exploited, older firmware PS5 consoles, we can now show you the game running locked at 60 frames per second.

Eurogamer Article

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Defenitly it was Sony mistake not to buy Ready at dawn. More time to polish gameplay and order 1886 sequel on ps5 could be awsome.
RaD was technologically ahead of their time it's a travesty sony didn't purchase them a theoretical Order 2 would've been amazing I'm sure they learned a lot plus it's criminal we don't have a bigger world like that to explore
They also made very good VR games, one of them considered one of the very best VR games. What could have been.

HL3.exe

8 years on, and visually we're mostly still at that level when it comes to modern releases. That's amazing and terrifying at the same time.

I think it's fine if we stick to this level of asset fidelity, and shift focus to more physicalised game-logic leaps and world dynamism. It's not that we've peaked visually, it's just marginal at this point with meaningless feeling upgrades and we need a drastic leaps in physics, simulation complexity and world reactivity/dynamism.

Last edited:

Chronicle

This game and the characters were bad ass. Needs a sequel with some better gsmeplay and you'd have s huge hit.

stranno

Assuming it is just the Illusion's 60FPS + Fullscreen patch, just ported to PS5, I'd say it was borderline unplayable. I mean, game can be finished, but the action buttons in the QTE events were almost out of the screen sometimes. Cinematics were also way too focused, you couldn't even see the titles of the chapters.

I finished it years ago on PS4 Pro and it was a new experience, but kinda unpolished.

AKA The Lance McDonald Effect.
Lance only did the initial Bloodborne patch that inspired Illusion. Illusion has done 99,9% of PS4 resolution/framerate patches, including this. He also developed the main structure of the GoldHEN memory patching and he is developing an OBS framerate analysis plugin that DF will probably use in the future (it seems way more streamlined than the DF VirtualDub solution).

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

RaD was technologically ahead of their time it's a travesty sony didn't purchase them a theoretical Order 2 would've been amazing I'm sure they learned a lot plus it's criminal we don't have a bigger world like that to explore
Just another Shuhei Yoshida fumble.
Realistically, Sony should have acquired them over a decade ago considering that they mostly developed for PlayStation hardware up to this game.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
This seems like a good lite experience to make a gap between strong releases, just like TLOU, a linear and pretty straightforward experience... We need more games like this one, I'd happily get it on PC

Last edited:

Fbh

Visually it still holds up incredibly well.
It's a shame Sony doesn't care about their back catalogue, getting some option to enable 60fps in most older games would be awesome and a good incentive to go back to titles like this, Infamous Second Son, Driveclub, Bloodborne, etc.
Just put a warning or something like they did with boost mode on Ps4 Pro or "Vrr on unsupported titles" on ps5 that makes it clear that unexpected issues might show up enabling the 60fps mode.

8 years on, and visually we're mostly still at that level when it comes to modern releases. That's amazing and terrifying at the same time.

I think it's fine if we stick to this level of asset fidelity, and shift focus to more physicalised game-logic leaps and world dynamism. It's not that we've peaked visually, it's just marginal at this point with meaningless feeling upgrades and we need a drastic leaps in physics, simulation complexity and world reactivity/dynamism.

Yup.
And yet somehow modern console games still run poorly because most devs would rather kill performance and IQ for neglectable graphical improvements.
I'm playing FFXVI right now and I have no idea why it runs so poorly on Ps5. The handful of big set piece moments look nice, as do the main cutscenes, but outside of those (so like 85-90% of the game) it looks quite average to be honest. And yet performance mode has to drop to 720p to keep up and even the 30fps mode is only 1080p. Makes no sense to me.

Perrott

Gold Member
Visually it still holds up incredibly well.
It's a shame Sony doesn't care about their back catalogue, getting some option to enable 60fps in most older games would be awesome and a good incentive to go back to titles like this, Infamous Second Son, Driveclub, Bloodborne, etc.
Just put a warning or something like they did with boost mode on Ps4 Pro or "Vrr on unsupported titles" on ps5 that makes it clear that unexpected issues might show up enabling the 60fps mode.

Yup.
And yet somehow modern console games still run poorly because most devs would rather kill performance and IQ for neglectable graphical improvements.
I'm playing FFXVI right now and I have no idea why it runs so poorly on Ps5. The handful of big set piece moments look nice, as do the main cutscenes, but outside of those (so like 85-90% of the game) it looks quite average to be honest. And yet performance mode has to drop to 720p to keep up and even the 30fps mode is only 1080p. Makes no sense to me.
I believe Second Son and First Light are already locked 60fps at checkerboard 4K on PS5 if you uncap the framerate in the options menu.

But I agree with the general point of your comment, there are loads of great early PS4 era stuff that would look astonishing with a simple resolution bump and an unlocked framerate.

Shifty1897

Sony did Ready at Dawn wrong that this one. Going from a PSP developer to a AAA dev at the forefront of graphics technology at the time is no small feat, and they managed to make a pretty good game as well. A sequel could have really established it as a Sony tentpole IP.

Look at how bad Uncharted 1 was, and then Uncharted 2 came out and blew everyone's nips off. Could have been that way for The Order. Sad times.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony did Ready at Dawn wrong that this one. Going from a PSP developer to a AAA dev at the forefront of graphics technology at the time is no small feat, and they managed to make a pretty good game as well. A sequel could have really established it as a Sony tentpole IP.

Look at how bad Uncharted 1 was, and then Uncharted 2 came out and blew everyone's nips off. Could have been that way for The Order. Sad times.
Uncharted 1 wasnt bad lmao. It has an 89 on metacritic.

The order landed at 63.

Musilla

Absurd.
Hty7sAg.gif

Hty7tov.gif

Hty7QDJ.gif

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

If you believe rumors one of the ley people from RAD was a terrible person to work with and clashed often with uppers at Sony

And sorry to the couple of people here that I know are friends with said person (if they are still around haven't seen either post in awhile)

Now it's time for a Ryse retrospective these two games I took a lot of heat over the years for but I'd take a Ryse/Order equivalent every generation because those games showed what tech could be in a new generation and I've always appreciated that

Kerotan

Even just a New IP.

Didn't they make the God of war psp games?

ReBurn

Gold Member
If nothing else this shows why games take as long to make as they do. It takes a lot of effort to create a detailed game world. Ready at Dawn sacrificed the length and depth of the story in favor of the presentation. That's what earned the game the score it did. I would be ok with less graphical detail if it gets me games faster and with more depth.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Beautiful tech, wish it was combined with a decent game too. Would have done amazingly well.

LordCBH

I both enjoyed and disliked it. I enjoyed the gameplay when the game actually let you step back and shoot at loads of enemies. I liked the story and the acting. But I hated how short it was, and I hated how it had the most bullshit sequel bait I’ve ever seen. The game feels like it ends in the middle of the second act and that it should’ve continued on for another couple hours. Instead they sequel baited when they likely knew there was little chance of a sequel being greenlit.

Top Bottom