• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: 60FPS on PS5: Red Dead 2, DriveClub, Arkham Knight + More! Unofficial Patches Tested on Modded PS5

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Locked to older firmwares, PlayStation 5 has been hacked, opening the door to a range of 60fps mods that transform some of PlayStation 4's best games when played under backwards compatibility. Let's be clear here - these mods do not work on unexploited, retail consoles. Leading modder Illusion worked with Digital Foundry to show us how good these games look - and why Sony and third party publishers might consider an official Xbox-style FPS Boost program for PlayStation 5.

00:00 Introduction
01:40 DriveClub
05:21 Batman: Arkham Knight
07:35 Just Cause 3
09:28 Just Cause 41
3:28 Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy/Crash Team Racing
16:26 Shadow of the Colossus
17:35 Gravity Rush 2
19:52 The Last Guardian - 1890p vs Native 4K!
22:22 Red Dead Redemption 2
27:30 And Now, The Conclusion

Last edited:

Fbh

It sucks that Sony does't care about their back catalogue, specially the smaller more niche titles.
I'd absolutely replay Driveclub, Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian at 60fps.
(I know TLG can get 60fps with a disc if you don't patch it, but I own it digitally and don't want to rebuy it)

So this is something sony could just do... Sometimes I wonder what is going on in those people's heads.

I guess if they did it they would not be able to sell remasters anymore.

Not sure about the third party games but I see no reason why they couldn't do it for first party stuff like Gravity Rush, Driveclub, The Last Guardian, etc.
They probably don't think it's worth the time and money investment they'd have to put into making and testing the 60fps patches, specially for games that probably don't really sell anymore like Gravity Rush and The Last Guardian (Driveclub you can't even buy)

adamsapple

who cares. Could apply to anything.
I bet they could send a fucking email to 3rd party "hey we patch this shit"
Or make it a system level feature.

They stopped the FPS and BC programs on Xbox because every time they modify a game, they need the publishers permission, there may be royalties involved we don't know but that's why it works here, because these are unauthorized fan mods.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They stopped the FPS and BC programs on Xbox because every time they modify a game, they need the publishers permission, there may be royalties involved we don't know but that's why it works here, because these are unauthorized fan mods.
Then make a deal and pay for it sony.
I deserve it

Mr Moose

Why is everyone blaming Sony for this? From that list only Driveclub and The Last Guardian are from them, right? And both from studios that have now been closed.

God of War and TLOU2 both got 60fps patches, right?

That said...imagine Driveclub at 60fps...seriously...
Shadow of the Colossus and Gravity Rush 2. They've closed as well.

adamsapple

Then make a deal and pay for it sony.
I deserve it

dont-care-how-i-want-it-now-willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory.gif

Why would R* allow this when they can resell the game again for $40 to $60 a pop with a 60 FPS patch themselves. Look at GTA V.
Well, GTA5 looks much better on the next gen versions because of the ray traced reflections and shadows, plus the HDR (which is the biggest difference).

If they churn out RDR 2 with those same improvements I´m paying for it

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So this is something sony could just do... Sometimes I wonder what is going on in those people's heads.

I guess if they did it they would not be able to sell remasters anymore.
I remember catching a lot of flack of stating that adding 60 fps support to these games is as simple as removing the FPS cap.

People were like nah this would take millions of dollars. Nah, its probably a few days of dev if not removing or updating one line of code, and a few dozen hours of QA time to ensure it doesnt break anything. but some studios are too cheap to go back and update these games.

As soon as I saw KZSF running on the Pro at higher framerates, and then TLG and GOW running at a locked 60 fps without patches I knew these consoles had great BC and were effectively PCs. All they have to do is remove these caps. But they wouldnt want to waste a few thousands dollars in dev and QA time for games they have already sold.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I remember catching a lot of flack of stating that adding 60 fps support to these games is as simple as removing the FPS cap.

People were like nah this would take millions of dollars. Nah, its probably a few days of dev if not removing or updating one line of code, and a few dozen hours of QA time to ensure it doesnt break anything. but Sony studios are too cheap to go back and update these games.

As soon as I saw KZSF running on the Pro at higher framerates, and then TLG and GOW running at a locked 60 fps without patches I knew these consoles had great BC and were effectively PCs. All they have to do is remove these caps. But they wouldnt want to waste a few thousands dollars in dev and QA time for games they have already sold.
God of War had a 60fps mode, didn't it? Or did the 30fps mode unlock? :pie_thinking:

Danknugz

isn't it kind of ethically questionable for a reputed reviewer like digital foundry to do an article on illegal console mods? must have been a slow news week.

SlimySnake

Why is everyone blaming Sony for this? From that list only Driveclub and The Last Guardian are from them, right? And both from studios that have now been closed.

God of War and TLOU2 both got 60fps patches, right?

That said...imagine Driveclub at 60fps...seriously...
DriveClub, The Last Guardian, SOTC, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush 2.

Obviously some studios are closed, some are third party producing first party titles with now closed first part studios, but thats just excuses. This shows that a fucking intern can go in and update these games. The problem is that lack of initiative from Sony and other publishers. Rockstar has 3000 developers and they just dont give a shit.

Lot of console players in here blissfully unaware of how even a doubling of fps from 30 to 60 can cause knock-on bugs down the road. Some are completely impossible to find unless you play every single mission in the game and thoroughly test the fuck out of it, but could be seriously problematic. For instance, GTA IV on the Xbox (and PC) at 60 fps breaks a sequence in the final mission where you have to climb into a moving helicopter. The increase in framerate throws off the assurance and makes it nigh impossible to complete. You see these videos and think ah hah it's really that simple! But the truth is, it isn't, and every single Rockstar game that I've tested on PC has had some flaws show themselves when you unlock that 30 fps limiter. Sony can't just go and do that on their own without Rockstar thoroughly play testing the game and making sure nothing erroneous occurs by cause of fps unlock. I can personally confirm there are at least visual issues with RDR2 at 60 fps on PC, one being broken train smoke in cutscenes:

SlimySnake

isn't it kind of ethically questionable for a reputed reviewer like digital foundry to do an article on illegal console mods? must have been a slow news week.
DF's duty is to the consumer, NOT to protect the corporations interests. This video is in the interests of gamers who have purchased these consoles and these games, and it shows just how easy it is to enable 60 fps on these fancy new consoles. It exposes devs and publishers who talk a big game but wont spend a few thousand dollars to update their games for their consumers.

Yes it is and it's frankly annoying as imo, it normalizes and promotes piracy. It's one thing if you're promoting an emulator which does not use proprietary code but is instead reverse engineered. It's another thing to promote this crap and I'm surprised they get a pass for it. If I was a console manufacturer, I'd copyright strike the video. This is why I give Nintendo props, they don't tolerate this shit.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

People were like nah this would take millions of dollars. Nah, its probably a few days of dev if not removing or updating one line of code, and a few dozen hours of QA time to ensure it doesnt break anything. but some studios are too cheap to go back and update these games.

Whats crazy, is that if they sought out the people that are making these "mods" for free... they could pay them like $50k-$100k for patched versions of every sony published PS4 game and maybe like 500 third-party games, release theirs and get permission from third parties to release the ones they have for them.

And these moders would probably be very happy to do it.

Them not doing it is a greed thing, plain and simple, why pay $100k for 60fps patched versions of like 500 games when you can sell those games to hapless consumers as a remaster?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When in doubt remember this:

1440p 60 fps > 1080p 60 fps >>> 4k 30 fps

You never know who to believe. There's always the counter: "It'll break the game if at 60 fps because the game engine and inputs are designed for 30 fps"

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Whats crazy, is that if they sought out the people that are making these "mods" for free... they could pay them like $50k-$100k for patched versions of every sony published PS4 game and maybe like 500 third-party games, release theirs and get permission from third parties to release the ones they have for them.

And these moders would probably be very happy to do it.

Them not doing it is a greed thing, plain and simple, why pay $100k for 60fps patched versions of like 500 games when you can sell those games to hapless consumers as a remaster?
It comes down to the $50k investment vs increased sales. they probably had some sales guy crunch some numbers and saw that the increased new sales from this 60 fps patch wont give them a good return over investment. Driveclub isnt even sold anymore and other games are selling for cheap even on PSN. And why do this for your existing customers who have already paid you for the game.

digdug2

Yes it is and it's frankly annoying as imo, it normalizes and promotes piracy. It's one thing if you're promoting an emulator which does not use proprietary code but is instead reverse engineered. It's another thing to promote this crap and I'm surprised they get a pass for it. If I was a console manufacturer, I'd copyright strike the video. This is why I give Nintendo props, they don't tolerate this shit.
This is intended to highlight how easy it would be for Sony and the respective developers to fix this... yet they aren't doing so. It's not promoting piracy as it doesn't tell you how to mod your console, where to download the games, any of that shit.

Jesb

I don’t know why I was under the impression that ps5 automatically increased frame rates of old games. Why can’t they just make the hardware automatically do this?

This is intended to highlight how easy it would be for Sony and the respective developers to fix this... yet they aren't doing so. It's not promoting piracy as it doesn't tell you how to mod your console, where to download the games, any of that shit.
Firstly, Sony or other devs aren't required to do anything at all. When you purchased the game, you were aware of the performance profile of and agreed to purchase it at the time. Secondly, commercially released software goes through rigorous testing which a random modder does not have to do. That requires resources and costs money. In essence, you're expecting a service for free that you did not pay for. It's great that some companies do it but the entitlement of some people is frankly insane. You're not entitled to that shit. Finally, it promotes piracy because it promotes the use of modded consoles. You cannot get this to work without illegally breaching the console's os/software stack. By showing this content, you're advertising piracy and if some idiot comes in here to claim "preservation of media", we're going to have a royal rumble style discussion.

Top Bottom