• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: 60FPS on PS5: Red Dead 2, DriveClub, Arkham Knight + More! Unofficial Patches Tested on Modded PS5

Perrott

Gold Member
Why would R* allow this when they can resell the game again for $40 to $60 a pop with a 60 FPS patch themselves. Look at GTA V.
Why would they? Perhaps because they canned RDR2's current gen remaster because they couldn't allow those resources to not be put on getting GTA VI out of the door.

Now console players are stuck with 30fps RDR2 forever.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Firstly, Sony or other devs aren't required to do anything at all. When you purchased the game, you were aware of the performance profile of and agreed to purchase it at the time. Secondly, commercially released software goes through rigorous testing which a random modder does not have to do. That requires resources and costs money. In essence, you're expecting a service for free that you did not pay for. It's great that some companies do it but the entitlement of some people is frankly insane. You're not entitled to that shit. Finally, it promotes piracy because it promotes the use of modded consoles. You cannot get this to work without illegally breaching the console's os/software stack. By showing this content, you're advertising piracy and if some idiot comes in here to claim "preservation of media", we're going to have a royal rumble style discussion.
Anyone who buys a PC game isn't entitled to automatic performance boosting either. But for PC gaming (doesn't matter if it's the 286 days or modern gaming on the latest specs), if someone has a beefier system the game will run better than someone who had a worse system 99% of the time.

So if indie studios making $5 games on PC can figure out and be fine with their game being unlocked for the PC masses, why cant console game makers do the same for BC systems?

Last edited:
Native BC is always preferred and it's a damn shame Sony hasn't done it for PS3 games so far.

No. No native patch or FPS boost patch.
Isn’t BC on Xbox actually emulation?

Sony had to make ports for most of their PS2 to PS4 games. The results were mixed while it seems Xbox BC even if emulated is fairly well received.

Anyone who buys a PC game isn't entitled to automatic performance boosting either. But for PC gaming (doesn't matter if it's the 286 days or modern gaming on the latest specs), if someone has a beefier system the game will run better than someone who had a worse system 99% of the time.

So if indie studios making $5 games on PC can figure out to let things be unlocked for the PC masses, why cant console game makers do the same for BC systems?
False equivalency. A console is not a pc and a console api is not pc apis. This the exact reason why they're different. When you make a game on pc, you make it for api's that are hardware agnostic. As long as the hardware driver supports the api's features, it'll run on any hardware. On consoles, the api is directly tied to the hardware. The strong coupling makes BC a pain. The benefit however is that it allows weaker hardware to perform better than it would on a hardware agnostic api like d3d12 and remain relevant for longer. Your understanding of this appears to be elementary at best. I'd suggest buying a mini pc and just plugging it into your tv. This way you can get the benefits of backwards and forward compatibility at the expense of performance.

XOMTOR

If I was a console manufacturer, I'd copyright strike the video. This is why I give Nintendo props, they don't tolerate this shit.
Um, I'm pretty sure you couldn't do that. They're simply reporting on what has been done by someone, not showing anyone else how to do it. We see lots of videos throughout our daily lives, on the news and across social media, depicting people doing questionable things; doesn't mean we get to ban them because it might lead to others doing it as well. I believe there's an English word for what you're calling for.....:pie_thinking:

proandrad

But I thought unlocking the framerate in these games requires a ton of work and beta testing. Surely all these games are now broken. It’s like they just flipped a switch.

Last edited:
I've given up on hoping that PS3 BC will ever happen on actual Sony hardware, but at the very least they could hire a small team of engineers to go back and patch these fan favorite PS4 1st party games (Bloodborne, Gravity Rush 2, Drive Club, The Last Guardian). They would get so much positive PR for just these 4 games so just don't understand why they're so fucking stubborn on this matter.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lot of console players in here blissfully unaware of how even a doubling of fps from 30 to 60 can cause knock-on bugs down the road. Some are completely impossible to find unless you play every single mission in the game and thoroughly test the fuck out of it, but could be seriously problematic. For instance, GTA IV on the Xbox (and PC) at 60 fps breaks a sequence in the final mission where you have to climb into a moving helicopter. The increase in framerate throws off the assurance and makes it nigh impossible to complete. You see these videos and think ah hah it's really that simple! But the truth is, it isn't, and every single Rockstar game that I've tested on PC has had some flaws show themselves when you unlock that 30 fps limiter. Sony can't just go and do that on their own without Rockstar thoroughly play testing the game and making sure nothing erroneous occurs by cause of fps unlock. I can personally confirm there are at least visual issues with RDR2 at 60 fps on PC, one being broken train smoke in cutscenes:

Gta4 is still the best on 360. Rockstar engine is a tragedy and a marvel.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
to be honest I have a special place in my heart for playing original release games so I would never want that option (original bc) to be gone but 60fps or higher res would be nice too

Kerotan

Why would R* allow this when they can resell the game again for $40 to $60 a pop with a 60 FPS patch themselves. Look at GTA V.
The annoying thing is they wait so long. I don't care paying a tenner for an upgrade but I don't want to wait years to do so.

bender

What time is it?
I've given up on hoping that PS3 BC will ever happen on actual Sony hardware, but at the very least they could hire a small team of engineers to go back and patch these fan favorite PS4 1st party games (Bloodborne, Gravity Rush 2, Drive Club, The Last Guardian). They would get so much positive PR for just these 4 games so just don't understand why they're so fucking stubborn on this matter.

It's just a matter of return on investment so there is almost no chance Drive Club gets a patch since it can no longer be purchased. Gravity Rush 2 and Last Guardian wouldn't spark sales either, sadly. In the case of Bloodborne, I have a feeling that will be a Bluepoint remaster for the launch of PS6 a la Demon's Souls.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

mrabott

So this is something sony could just do... Sometimes I wonder what is going on in those people's heads.

I guess if they did it they would not be able to sell remasters anymore.
Capitalism 101. New is always better. If Sony or developers released fixes to run games at 60 fps, this would take away sales of new games.
Many here would stop buying new releases to replay that game that is sitting on the shelf.

nial

Gold Member
They would never patch Driveclub even if they did for the rest of these games, it's been delisted for years already.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
You're not wrong but Sony is the dev on some of these games.
Reach…They lightly assisted in two of the games, and those were really developed by Team Ico.

Japan Studio I suppose could be considered Sony if you want to go there. If we are talking subsidiary devs, then yea cool, I suppose you are right.

Last edited:

fersnake

to me Driveclub at 60 is just orgasmic. i really dont understand why sony doesnt do what xbox did with the performance boost. but seen what one modder can do with no inside tools to work on imagine a small team in sony's hq can do.

digdug2

Firstly, Sony or other devs aren't required to do anything at all. When you purchased the game, you were aware of the performance profile of and agreed to purchase it at the time. Secondly, commercially released software goes through rigorous testing which a random modder does not have to do. That requires resources and costs money. In essence, you're expecting a service for free that you did not pay for. It's great that some companies do it but the entitlement of some people is frankly insane. You're not entitled to that shit. Finally, it promotes piracy because it promotes the use of modded consoles. You cannot get this to work without illegally breaching the console's os/software stack. By showing this content, you're advertising piracy and if some idiot comes in here to claim "preservation of media", we're going to have a royal rumble style discussion.
You are too highly invested in this for some odd reason and are actually making a mountain out of a molehill, dude. People who are going to pirate stuff are... believe it or not, already pirating the content.

I highly doubt that Digital Foundry is going to push millions of people to go on eBay, find a PS5 that's under a certain OS revision, and then go through the trial and error of modding their newly acquired PS5 (rendering it useless for online play BTW), just so that they can then pirate a copy of Just Cause 3 to play it in 60FPS.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
to me Driveclub at 60 is just orgasmic. i really dont understand why sony doesnt do what xbox did with the performance boost. but seen what one modder can do with no inside tools to work on imagine a small team in sony's hq can do.
My experience on this is that the modded in most cases does not have to offer support and does not guarantee something 100% working or anything close. People often also do not scrutinise the work produced as much as if they were paying for it either. There are many many asterisks often… but still, yes, I think Sony should invest the money in improving these titles.

It's just a matter of return on investment so there is almost no chance Drive Club gets a patch since it can no longer be purchased. Gravity Rush 2 and Last Guardian wouldn't spark sales either, sadly. In the case of Bloodborne, I have a feeling that will be a Bluepoint remaster for the launch of PS6 a la Demon's Souls.
Should have mentioned that my original post was more wishful thinking from my part, but yeah, all what you said there is correct. There's however a chance that we might see a Gravity Rush 1 + 2 re-release when the movie that's currently in the works at Sony releases.

Bojji

My experience on this is that the modded in most cases does not have to offer support and does not guarantee something 100% working or anything close. People often also do not scrutinise the work produced as much as if they were paying for it either. There are many many asterisks often… but still, yes, I think Sony should invest the money in improving these titles.

They should give players option "do you want to enable enchanced mode that may cause potential problems?" like it was for boost mode.

Everyone wins.

squarealex

How the HELL PS4 Pro can handing RDR2 at 4k / 30fps ? What happen ? Why Rockstar release the game with a bad reconstruction ? Even on 1440p / 1800p is far better...

This... just non-sense... Why?

Just... shameful

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How the HELL PS4 Pro can handing RDR2 at 4k / 30fps ? What happen ? Why Rockstar release the game with a bad reconstruction ? Even on 1440p / 1800p is far better...

This... just non-sense... Why?

Just... shameful

That's what most of us did .. or at least I did.

Dropped PS4 Pro to 1080p on system level. The native 1080p mode was a lot better than the shitty reconstruction, plus when you're in the 1080p mode, you get a TAA sharpness slider in the options, which is missing if you use the 4K checker-board mode.

That's one game example where One X was head and shoulders the superior version (and still is on PS5/SX for either game).

Nankatsu

Gold Member
60 fps Drive Club would be a godsend
Driveclub 2 when?

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

DaGwaphics

It's this type of thing that always makes me think about switching to PC every generation. You just automatically get the performance improvements over there.

Then I look at the prices of everything and go out and get the new console. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

willothedog

What law has been broken for it to be illegal, why is the YT video still up?

Denton

This is one of the most pathetic "please corporation, rape me in the ass" posts I have read yet, congrats

This is one of the most pathetic "please corporation, rape me in the ass" posts I have read yet, congrats
A statement made by someone who hasn't created anything of value. When you work hard to innovate and create something, you want to reap the benefits/rewards of your hard work. When someone goes and illegally manipulates your work robbing you of the benefit you're supposed to receive, it's fair game to be upset. This has nothing to do with corporations and is a sentiment that applies to the basic individual. It's not like I'd expect you to understand. Those who leech of the hard work of others never create or have anything of value to offer.

YCoCg

Gta4 is still the best on 360. Rockstar engine is a tragedy and a marvel.
The PC version has been fixed by modders in the past year, restoring all the missing graphical effects, adding in native FXAA and SMAA, even doing better AO, I've been thinking of doing a thread on it really.

Top Bottom