• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

H4r4kiri

I dont even care if there is nothing new introduce into the gameplay.

Yes, it maybe a simple TPS but what I care is story and setting of the game.

Jap that is what I think. People today expect that every Game has to completely revolutionize the genre. Well than why does CoD get a pass ? Why does Forza get a Pass ? Why did Uncharted get a Pass ? The last ones did really good in the genre and were really well made. That is all I care about

What's with the goofy shadow on the environment?

Nice pointless pics. I'm not talking about the quality, I'm talking about the goofy shadow of the guy on the environment. When RAD is pushing the graphics above all else, that really sticks out when it happens.

That guy's shadow placement isn't misrepresentation. It makes look like he should be floating. But yes, let's keep talking about image compression.

Dunno how I missed your previous posts and the shadow itself. Apologies, and fair point, it does look off in a game that takes its visuals so seriously.

pastrami

Why can't they show this game well? It is PERPLEXING to me. Like the way they started showing it at the conference.

Here's 20 seconds of an out of context cutscene. Ok now here is the CEO of the company.

WHAT THE FUCK? Why would you do that? You showed nothing at all in the cutscene other than that the graphics are amazing.

Other footage looks very nice.

The worst was the trailer for The Game Awards. Begins with a title Chapter 5: Agamemnon Rising. Cool, we're about to see a coherent section of story. Nope. Guys rappling. Guys beating up the crew. Something about a party and nothing to wear. Sniping a guy. Talking and then "Look out!"

Ok...

Nearly every single trailer has been extremely poor at conveying the gameplay mechanics and the story.

jwhit28

Jap that is what I think. People today expect that every Game has to completely revolutionize the genre. Well than why does CoD get a pass ? Why does Forza get a Pass ? Why did Uncharted get a Pass ? The last ones did really good in the genre and were really well made. That is all I care about

Not many people give CoD a pass here. In the clip they showed, the unique setting didn't have much of an effect. We still just saw a guy with a shotgun walking through hallways and a kitchen performing some 1 button invincible kill animations. Personally I only liked Gears for multiplayer.

I still haven't read many impressions from the demo yet, but I'm not feeling it for a game that's 2 months out.

Pimpwerx

I think its fine to rationally critique a game from previews since that is really all we have to go by. But how we define a legit critique vs an irrational critique is something we may have to agree to disagree on.

I don't see "too many cut scenes" as a rational critique at this stage since we don't yet know what the actual % breakdown on gameplay vs cut scenes is going to look like. RAD wouldn't be the first company to be guilty of showing spiffy looking CGI or in-game cut scenes to generate a little "oooooh look at the pretty graphics" hype. And who can blame them? Although that doesn't generally fly on GAF, the truth is most mainstream gamers are graphics whores to various degrees. Pretty graphics sells games. So, my response to this critique is take a wait and see.

The QTE complaint is legitimate if it is truly overdone, but at this point we don't know how that's going to play out in final gameplay. Ryse justifiably got destroyed for this in early impressions but the final product was much better and much more fun than many give it credit for. From what I understand, a lot of the early negative feedback helped the devs modify the gameplay. And thats why I actually think rational critiques are a good thing because that early feedback can sometimes help devs come out with a better final product.

You'll have to define "lack of player agency" since I'm not sure what you're referring to.

In any case, even if for the sake of reasoned debate I were to agree with you that all 3 of your listed critiques are legitimate, none of them individually or together justify the over-the-top hate this game seems to be getting. So far it looks like a beautiful Gears clone with some fun couch co-op. I have the Special Edition on pre-order thru Best Buy at the moment (took advantage of a price mistake to get it for $48) and so far don't see any reason to cancel it. It might not be a 10/10 and it may not be worth full price for many frugal buyers...but so far it looks like a fun game and a worthy addition to any gamer's library at a post-release discount price of $30-$40 or so. The way many people are reacting is like its shovel-ware that isn't going to be worth more than $5 in the bargain bin, which is straight ridiculous. There is nothing so far which indicates this game is going to be a "disaster", even if it doesn't live up to people's expectations.
I agree with this post. We crush reviewers for their lack of reason. We should try to exercise some discretion too. PEACE.

Axass

Why can't they show this game well? It is PERPLEXING to me. Like the way they started showing it at the conference.

Here's 20 seconds of an out of context cutscene. Ok now here is the CEO of the company.

WHAT THE FUCK? Why would you do that? You showed nothing at all in the cutscene other than that the graphics are amazing.

Other footage looks very nice.

It's a game that will sell on graphics alone, hence they're showing cutscenes; they made it pretty clear many times that they're not ambitious in the gameplay department. Ten years from now nobody will remember it.

thumb

Banned
Perfect illustration on how people (the original poster you quoted) can twist and pervert the meaning of written word by taking things out of context.

A cautionary tale.

I disagree. While my post was far too brief, I tried to break down part of what the previewer saw, and why I found it underwhelming. He saw (among other things) nice-looking but standard collectibles (yes, other games have rotatable collectibles), a standard arsenal, linear levels, and a mixed bag of QTEs (I grant that only some of them were characterized as "unfortunate"). His tone was certainly positive, but most previews have a positive and forgiving tone! You have to read between the lines. When I did so, I was not encouraged.

hesido

I'm glad I'm not someone working at Ready at Dawn. Looking at the amount of work they have put into creating this game vs the unjust flak this game gets, I'd be pulling my hair out.

(the flak being unjust is of course MHO)

Violater

Have they commented on how long the game is?
I have a feeling there isn't much game there that's why they are not showing us more.
I'll always be of the opinion that this type of game lends itself to a MP component.
I understand they have limited resources and experience, but hopefully there is something more to the game that will enable some longevity.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So even though I hate the fucking black bars I'm still hyped for this. One problem though. The Witcher 3 comes out just a few days later, so I will probably not buy this day one. Sony should've released it eariler in the month.

Releases on a Friday. I wouldn't be surprised if you're finishing this over the weekend.

CREMSteve

ugrugd.gif

jrmohp.gif

guoitk.gif

I can't believe we're playing games that look like this. So good.

BeeDog

The second .gif with that strange device looks unbelievably good. Even if the game proves to be mediocre, I'll at least have a graphical show-piece in the library.

I'll be bummed to have spent money on it anyway

Sayad

I disagree. While my post was far too brief, I tried to break down part of what the previewer saw, and why I found it underwhelming. He saw (among other things) nice-looking but standard collectibles (yes, other games have rotatable collectibles), a standard arsenal, linear levels, and a mixed bag of QTEs (I grant that only some of them were characterized as "unfortunate"). His tone was certainly positive, but most previews have a positive and forgiving tone! You have to read between the lines. When I did so, I was not encouraged.
You haven't been keeping up with this game's previews, have you? ;p

I wish they would take out the "I'm reloading", "enemy down" etc voices.

I love that they have that in the game. It ties in the old at the same time new concept of the game. That jargon wasn't being done in that era. Those are special forces commands, used by small squads in real life combat. And it does add to the authenticity of squad based combat of communicating. RELOADING serves 2 purposes for others on the fire team uses suppression fire i.e. cover me.

A friend of mine called me this morning and game me a long winded hyperbole filled impression of the game and this is coming from a dude that really disliked every showing of it so far. In a nutshell its the most impressive looking game he has seen and the guns feel awesome.

Whoever has been in charge of marketing this game needs to be fired.

Perfect illustration on how people (the original poster you quoted) can twist and pervert the meaning of written word by taking things out of context.

A cautionary tale.

Seems like that proves exactly what the guy was saying -- that they give a positive tone, but what they actually say about the game doesn't sound so hot.

They say they enjoyed using the guns (tone), but their objective statement is that the guns are the same old ones we use in every game.

They say they enjoyed "exploring" (tone), but their objective statement is that you can't choose where to go and it's entirely linear -- which most of us would say is NOT "exploring". Most of us would not describe seeing what's on the other side of the only door you can go through at the end of the hallway you're forced to go down to be "exploration".

They said they found the combat "satisfying" (tone), but their objective statement is that enemies often wouldn't die even when shot in the head.

Etc.

luca_29_bg

A friend of mine called me this morning and game me a long winded hyperbole filled impression of the game and this is coming from a dude that really disliked every showing of it so far. In a nutshell its the most impressive looking game he has seen and the guns feel awesome.

yeah we need to watch the whole 30 minutes demo and, of course, you can't find it anywhere on the net. Fuck you sony!

Cheech

I think it's pretty unfair to call it soulless. Why is it soulless?

The problem is, they haven't shown anything with any kind of "pop" whatsoever with this game.

Speaking of Gears, go look at any of the E3 or prerelease gameplay videos of those games. Those get the blood pumping.

The Order has shown us a bunch of shitty QTE nonsense, and now a kitchen shootout sequence so dull I've seen more intense throw downs on a Rachel Ray cooking show. You know things are dire when they can't even show anything that even fakes anything above base competency (Killzone).

If you're not going to have multi in your shooter, you better have an amazing story and gameplay to match (Bioshock, the new Wolfenstein). There is just no reason for optimism with The Order that I've seen so far.

ShutterMunster

Have they not released longer videos than the stuff they showed on stage? Thread seems to be lacking in the gif department.

Few we have are excellent though. Great work!

What kills me is how guarded they are. You're doing a 30 minute demo for the select group there and you can't be bothered to show more than 90 secs on stage and seemingly the most boring 90 secs of the half hour long demo. They are doing an awful job at selling this game...AWFUL.

Shin-Ra

I can't stop gawping at the GIFs of this and Uncharted 4.

Creating all those material templates really paid off for The Order. I can't wait to see environments with more glass now.

Saty

This is archaic. So you made a 30m build of the game, playable by anyone who attends. Why the fuck aren't you packaging it and releasing it as a 'demo' ASAP? You've done all the hard work. You're confident enough to let regular joes play it. Then freaking upload it to PSN and let everybody play it.

The only argument is that people bought tickets and you want them to have the allure of being able to do stuff non-attendees won't. Well the, wait 1-2 months and then release it on PSN. Heck, make it exclusive for PS+ members - so you do get paid as well. PS+ offering playable builds of games from the various trade show and events is actually a great way to inject value into the subscription.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Every impression from the floor has been quite positive. The marketing has just been a complete failure.

ShutterMunster

This is archaic. So you made a 30m build of the game, playable by anyone who attends. Why the fuck aren't you packaging it and releasing it as a 'demo' ASAP? You've done all the hard work. You're confident enough to let regular joes play it. Then freaking upload it to PSN and let everybody play it.

The only argument is that people bought tickets and you want them to have the allure of being able to do stuff non-attendees won't. Well the, wait 1-2 months and then release it on PSN. Heck, make it exclusive for PS+ members - so you do get paid as well. PS+ offering playable builds of games from the various trade show and events is actually a great way to inject value into the subscription.

SO MUCH THIS. It's about to be 2015, devs/publishers it's time to get smart about this. It's time we, as consumers start pushing for it. The incentive for them to do it isn't very high considering everyone's just going to buy the thing on day one anyway...

Agreed, I don't understand why this isn't done more often.... Limit it to Plus members or charge a nominal fee or restrict to those who pre-order or give give those who pre-order 5 keys for free downloads so they can share with friends. Any of these are viable if they don't want everyone getting access.

that's my only concern atm. I hope it's something like TLOU in length.

I think TLoU length is largely due to the slower pace nature of the game, you spent a lot of time walking slowly, sneaking around etc. while the game area is probably not that different from Uncharted which can be beaten in much shorter time.

The Order being a more fast paced action game like Uncharted, I wouldn't expect it to be as long as TLoU, but if it's around the length of Uncharted, than I'd be pretty satisfied. just no under 5 hours, that's too short.

great to hear that

i think sony is to blame for the horrible showing so far. instead of showing a 20 minute demo of uncharted, they should have shown a 20 minute demo for the order, which comes out in 2 months.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think TLoU length is largely due to the slower pace nature of the game, you spent a lot of time walking slowly, sneaking around etc. while the game area is probably not that different from Uncharted which can be beaten in much shorter time.

The Order being a more fast paced action game like Uncharted, I wouldn't expect it to be as long as TLoU, but if it's around the length of Uncharted, than I'd be pretty satisfied. just no under 5 hours, that's too short.
I'm guessing 10-12 hours or so. Short enough for tight pacing but not over in an afternoon.

sam777

Why did this get literally 2 minutes of showing when it is releasing in February. Sony should promote this better than they have so far.

I don't know why people are so stingy about video game prices for the amount of time you get out of them they really are not that expensive at all.

If you go to the movies or buy a movie it'll cost you 15-20 dollars for a 2 hour movie. Multiply that by 3-4 for 60 dollars for a game and a minimum of 6-8 hours (which is half the time of a "short" game) not counting replay value or extras. Its not that expensive.

great to hear that

i think sony is to blame for the horrible showing so far. instead of showing a 20 minute demo of uncharted, they should have shown a 20 minute demo for the order, which comes out in 2 months.

True, I think the team is just in crunch-mode trying to get it ready for release. The game goes gold in like 2 months.

Not really the best time to be putting together a stage demo.

rambis

Banned

Archaic? Lol if anything as history has progressed, early demos have all but vanished. Compare the list of retail PS4 titles to the demo section of PSN and its clear to see that developers are moving away from early demos, outside the now common multiplayer beta.

I agree completely, whoever is in charge of marketing this game doesn´t know what is doing.

Top Bottom