• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

RAD has been horrible at showcasing the game. I'm sure they've heard the complaints about showing the same area over and over, so what do we get? A boring fight in a kitchen, with some brain dead looking AI :(

I'm really afraid the game just isn't going to have any substance to it at all. I truly hope I'm wrong, because the setting looks fantastic.

Yeah, this looks dull as dishwater, and I was actually hopeful. Love the aesthetics. But, won't know until I play it.

I really don't know. I just don't find the game that interesting. I was forwarding the video all the time, looking for a spot that looked nice.

Though I do find the setting quite awesome. I feel like this game will dissapoint a lot of people and that it won't be that well recieved by the media, though it will be a well-crafted, linear (minus the negative connotations) experience that will attract players looking for such.

Therefore I really feel like the story has to be great. If the story is really good I might be tempted to pick it up.

IKizzLE

For all of those who are saying this is just another TPS....
Ummmm, how else is a third person shooter supposed to play like?

alterno69

Banned
I like open world games, i like semi open world games and i also like linear games. Why can't linear games be a thing now? I love cinematic/story focused games a lot AND i'm a graphics whore so this game is right up my alley. I don't need to see more either, i thought the demo was fine.

Kiant

Mean from an artistic and graphical standpoint it does look amazing, but RAD / Sony do not know how to market the game at all. It's been one mistake after another. I'm hoping they deliver but I'm erring on the side of caution on this.

If it has a decent story and interesting characters, I'm sure I'll love it. The graphics are obviously amazing.

I'm just a sucker for a good story with an intricately detailed and well crafted world.

Gun-play looks just fine.

People should try to enjoy it for what it is. You want open world, go somewhere else. You want ultra-challenging skill-based combat, go somewhere else. You want multi-player, go somewhere else.

I'm so glad there is a market for this type of game. I hope it's good.

For all of those who are saying this is just another TPS....
Ummmm, how else is a third person shooter supposed to play like?

I don't understand the hate for this and the love for Gears.

Everyone wants to shit on this game but everyone is hyped for Gears 4. What makes them so different in quality that makes such a gap in perception? Maybe Gears is a lot tighter gunplay than The Order but is that really the difference between love it and hate it?

OsirisBlack

Banned
The gameplay video they posted is not the same as the stage demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFyoHXLu3zM&index=2&list=UU-2Y8dQb0S6DtpxNgAKoJKA

If I quoted all the the people trying to downplay how amazing this game looks, I would bet ya the vast majority are coming from the PC faithful that are well know PC gaffers. That's got to mean something.

Ignore it, this games visuals are the last thing anyone can say aren't amazing.

yGbZAvb.jpg

gBGdrI8.jpg

Cu3Y48J.jpg

wQYLHzY.jpg

UbMzhB8.jpg

Jonm1010

Banned
I don't understand the hate for this and the love for Gears.

Everyone wants to shit on this game but everyone is hyped for Gears 4. What makes them so different in quality that makes such a gap in perception? Maybe Gears is a lot tighter gunplay than The Order but is that really the difference between love it and hate it?
It's like tomb raider, the original go-to in the genre will largely get a pass(uncharted) while the copycat gets shit on for all the same things the original gets looked past on despite the original rehashing much more then the new title.

I predict a 7-8 rated game that will have early vocal critics followed by a solid fan base that will frothe at a sequel that can flesh out the game further. Three years from now the early hate will seem bizarre and overly reactionary.

hatchx

Banned
I think I'm going to Day 1 this bad boy.

I know people have been skeptical, but I've been more and more impressed every time they show it off.

Cole Slaw

Banned
It's like tomb raider, the original go-to in the genre will largely get a pass(uncharted) while the copycat gets shit on for all the same things the original gets looked past on despite the original rehashing much more then the new title.

I predict a 7-8 rated game that will have early vocal critics followed by a solid fan base that will frothe at a sequel that can flesh out the game further. Three years from now the early hate will seem bizarre and overly reactionary.

That would probably be the best case scenario, based on how poorly the hype has been managed by Sony's marketing.

This game went from a stellar first reveal to premature subsequent reveals. I don't even know if that kind of pressure should have been allowed on RaD in the first place.

the recoil looks ridiculous at a close range and the cover system doesn't look good or fluid in a tight kitchen area.. it didn't even look fun. im kind of scared that they thought the kitchen battle should have been an area to publicly focus on.. is that the best highlight of the game? lol

the recoil looks ridiculous at a close range and the cover system doesn't look good or fluid in a tight kitchen area.. it didn't even look fun. im kind of scared that they thought the kitchen battle should have been an area to publicly focus on.. is that the best highlight of the game? lol
Not at all.

Kinyou

Everyone already answered the question you asked me but there is a particular part nearing the end of the game where there are multiple clickers I play on the hardest levels. Seen = Insta Fail.
I think it depends a little on how the insta fail plays out. In Last of us it's insta fail because you'll just get murdered, but technically do you still have a chance to fight/run. If the Order just ends with:

NPC Guard: "What are you doing here?!"

*mission failed screen*

That's what I usually understand as "insta-fail"

itxaka

Defeatist
The black bars plus fov is pretty bad. Like only a 30% of the screen size is useful. Looks like a nice tps but that visibility ugh. Very closed corridors means that every battle is tense because of the spaces and you have to keep on moving which means fast paced battles.

Also that melee trailer was out of place.

Rixxan

1080p kitchen gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFyoHXLu3zM

Huh this playthough is different.

not getting the hate at all

looks fun, typical cover shooter action, but solid - and the guns sound great

that slow mo mechanic seems like it has a nice dash of spice to it, i like the posturing and animation where he aims and switches directions

its also gorgeous

dunno like many have said not expecting world changing gameplay here, but as long as everything is polished and satisfying i can see myself enjoying this title

I think it depends a little on how the insta fail plays out. In Last of us it's insta fail because you'll just get murdered, but technically do you still have a chance to fight/run. If the Order just ends with:

NPC Guard: "What are you doing here?!"

*mission failed screen*

I could see why that's not all that welcomed.

From what the guy said, it is a death condition that makes you fail.

Kinyou

From what the guy said, it is a death condition that makes you fail.
Any chance we'll actually get see the 30 minutes demo ourselves? That should probably answer all questions.

Burns guy expanded on the insta-fail in a preview on the Videogamer site

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_order_1886/preview-3836.html
Edit: ah saw the post on the previous page. So basically he's just complaining that missing a QTE means insta death. I don't think that would bother me all that much.

uhhh...if it serves the story to be stealthy, i don't see what the problem is.

if they are on an airship and they are sneaking in then why can't that be an insta-fail? that was the first level of uncharted 2.

Rixxan

yeah that other gameplay clip and the new IGN impressions vid has my hype rising a bit

feel like this could be solid

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Damn, that new kitchen gameplay looks sweet. The graphics are absolutely insane. Best graphics I've ever seen. Also that section played really well apparently.

AJLma

Graphically it looks good, but I think the IQ is hurt by overdone motion blur, filters and dark shading everywhere. Can't see shit.

Also, lol @ the contrived debris falling scene at the end.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Graphically it looks good, but I think the IQ is hurt by overdone motion blur, filters and dark shading everywhere. Can't see shit.

Also, lol @ the contrived debris falling scene at the end.

yeah that looked weird. the MC seemed like he could easily fit through but was having a tough time. poor old guy.

antitrop

Yup, that looks like a third-person shooter from a team that has never made a third-person shooter before, alright.

Top Bottom