• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting on spoiler free impressions to decide I guess...hey SlasherJPC,you getting an advance copy for review this weekend...?

My editior has me down to review it once he gets it but so far all sigsn are pointing to our site either. A: Not getting it at all from Sony or B: Late. I've got the premiuim edtion pre-ordered regardless so a review will come at some point and time but my guess would be later sadly. Sorry man. Our metacritic score will have to wait lol.

Korten

Banned
I know this will no doubt get groans, rolling eyes, but I wrote it. A... Order 1886 Conspiracy Trailer fanfiction... Best read with the trailer. XD I used various posters from this thread, but you could replace them if you wish if you feel they're used wrongly.

Bish: Centuries have passed and our forum remains steadfast in its sacred mission to preserve the balance between hardcore and casual.
Bish: That balance is threatened by a new contagion. The mobile.
-----------
Shinobi aims his post at the iPhone user.
iPhone: You have no idea who you’re dealing with.
-----------
Skux stands up’s.
Skux: All Gaffers to controllers!
Skux: Let’s eliminate these Consoleless mobiles once and for all.
-----------
Shinobi: I’ll need you to provide threads!
-----------
DarkLordMalik: You really believe the mobiles are collaborating with the casuals?
-----------
Shinobi and Bananafactory crouch behind cover outside the sales thread.
Bananafactory: They’re converging on the sales.
Shiobi, Bananafactory, and Sn4ke_911 walk together.
Bananafactory: We need to unravel this without arousing the mods.
-----------
Shinobi throws microtransactions into the sales.
Shinobi: incoming!
The microtransactions land with a large explosion of money.
-----------
Bananafactory shoots a soldier before they could shoot Shinobi and Banana steps towards Shinobi.
Shinobi: Stop for a dlc, did you?
-----------
DarkLordMalik: Shinobi, where are you going?
Shinobi: To finish what we started!
DLM: This is no time for threads, come to your senses!
-----------
Skux aims at Shinobi.
Skux: This is madness. You’re putting the very core of our Forum in jeopardy.
Shinobi: Skux, you have to trust me.
-----------
Bish: You dance on the very edge of insubordination, Sif Gaffer.
-----------
Bish calls out to Shinobi.
Bish: Gaffer Shinobi! This matter is not yet over.
Shinobi: Of that you can be sure.
-----------
THE GAF 1886

KKRT00

ibvgct2VKHHQ7u.png

Yeah, those are specular AO maps i was talking about.
You cant do that on a mirror, because it doesnt have any color information and it would look just ugly.

Its a nice technique though.

Dinjooh

lol.

The Order GAF might just be topping Metal Gear GAF in weirdness.

Nah, The Order GAF hasn't had fan fiction
yet.

I know this will no doubt get groans, rolling eyes, but I wrote it. A... Order 1886 Conspiracy Trailer fanfiction... Best read with the trailer. XD I used various posters from this thread, but you could replace them if you wish if you feel they're used wrongly.

That didn't take long.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Like i think that The Order looks completely amazing graphically, but its not pushing the best tech, especially for this year. Dont get me wrong, they push very high end tech, just not the highest.
RaD is more aiming at best blend art and technology and thats fine too, its the same as it was with God of War 3, which still remains the king of past gen in terms of art and tech symbiosis.
I can't think of a game released so far that's pushing anything visibly better qualitatively (I'm sure quantitative examples, like higher resolution this or that can be found, as that's trivial to do). That's all any game can ever hope for, as it's unfair to compare a game of this size to some emerging tech that's maybe becoming available in demos or research papers, or that just appeared in engines, so it can be used in future games this year. I also think that even if what's there in Order is not always the bleeding edge newest, what's there is most refined there is. Whatever shaders they do on materials, they are clearly better than in any game released yet, whatever air resistance simulation they use for coats and other soft moving materials, it's again better than anything in released games, etc.

On top of that, they have an unflinching performance, which is probably the thing that amazes me the most for something that looks so ahead of the pack. It just tells me how RaD got something very right with their engine, and how so many other games released so far simply didn't utilize the available hardware in anything remotely close to best way.

R_Deckard

No. Actually real-time cutscenes look better in Ryse, because of better AA [they enhanced technique], better resolution and better shaders.

Not on XboxOne they don't and on Crisis 3 (which was my example) they also don't. My point was that having 100% real-time is great and should be commended.
---
One thing though, how the hell they are doing reflections in Star Citizen?! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-f94S4AyMc
I still dont get how, they've done this.
Sure its not ray-traced, but quality is out of this world.
If you mean the helmet cockpit reflection this is just a dynamic cubemap then distorted with geometry. You can see how the hands or even the fan and outside cockpit are not reflected in it at all, so it would most likely me another rendered scene within the helmet.

Edit: Come on guys stop with the spoilers this thread is really starting to look like a scene from the Order 1886
black bars
and some of us want to enjoy the game blind

It doesn't matter one bit if they are using bits or bytes, shaders or razers, rice or pasta, complex carbs or milk.

"Sorcery" etc are just words people. Symbols. This game is visually the closest thing to pre rendered CGI we have.

Doesn't mean it's the best looking game, or the most tech advanced game. But no other game comes as close to a CGI look. But I have no knowledge of some darknet found mod for Max Payne 1 that makes this thing look like 99 PSX CGI.

The amount of time and effort put into minimizing the accomplishment is funny.

Replying to RoboPlato
Yeah. I agree. It was a long QTE to be honest and you can't do anything if someone else is firing at you, but wait until the animation finishes.

I'm pretty sure if you are in the middle of a real firefight and you decided to run up on someone and fight him people wouldn't stop to watch you two fight. They would 100% still try to shoot you. It's a completely optional move at your disposal.

I'd probably wouldn't try that move unless there were limited enemies around.

R_Deckard

Ah gotchya.

I think the ingame stuff looks "different" but it also looks better. THe image quality is really poor in all the pre-rendered stuff due to macro blocking or grain. Ryse shows this off really well.

I do not think, and have never seen any evidence of, those "inengine" cutscnees in the Crytek games having effects which cannot be done in real time games. Cinebox is a realtime editor.
True that GI can mean a lot of things, but I think capturing a lot of its "moments" (in the hegelian sense of that word) is really important. I think that indirect specular and indirect occlusion are pretty imporant... but to each his own.

The signifcance would be, realtime stuff like LPV allowing dynamic TOD with little to no artist authoring. That is the one reason why I like simulations instead of handmade "hacks" (yes, everything is a hack, but some are more than others). I think with sim ulations you get more game content and dynamism.

I think that footage could be done with a normal model swap. Rather I would like more footage to prove it is all.
I defintely dont think SSR is the end all and be all, but I think a game should use it in spite of its draw backs. SSR should be combined with other realtime techniques that arent just drawn in SS. Just like SSAO.

Do they have GDC talks this year?

You can use light Probes with blends like Far Cry or Dying Light to have a realtime solution with day cycle. Propagated Volumes work well but are limited with Voxel Cone Tracing seemingly more accurate and certainly over doubling the amount of bounces a light source can have over CE version. I think Screen Space methods are good and work well enough but better methods are always welcome but it is just the cost gets higher and the visual paybak is not always in tune. Take SSSSS that CE also uses to great effect in Ryse and Uncharted 4 also has this, a great method that works well and is effectively "cheap" to use.

Yes they have a GDC talk lined up I think as they have been their the last few years looking forward to it as I am sure are you.

The End

When does the embargo drop on this?

Hoping for a wolfenstein deal where we start seeing reviews a few days out to build hype

No. Actually real-time cutscenes look better in Ryse, because of better AA [they enhanced technique], better resolution and better shaders.

---

One thing though, how the hell they are doing reflections in Star Citizen?! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-f94S4AyMc
I still dont get how, they've done this.
Sure its not ray-traced, but quality is out of this world.

See this is really confusing to me. Are you posting that trailer specifically because you are just impressed with the reflections and thats it or are you saying that in general this is a very cutting edge game because it really doesn't look all that amazing to me.

Take SSSSS that CE also uses to great effect in Ryse and Uncharted 4 also has this, a great method that works well and is effectively "cheap" to use.
Actually Ryse only uses SSSSS for stuff like marble. Skin, and hair, and vegetation use non-screenbased models (and they are all actually different among one another and of varying degrees of expense, with the skin one being very expensive).

edit: link http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Shader+Reference
1. Screen space stuff is in the illum shader
2. Hair has its own separate material
3. Skin also, with appropriate maps
4. Vegetation uses its own material
You can use light Probes with blends like Far Cry or Dying Light to have a realtime solution with day cycle. Propagated Volumes work well but are limited with Voxel Cone Tracing seemingly more accurate and certainly over doubling the amount of bounces a light source can have over CE version. I think Screen Space methods are good and work well enough but better methods are always welcome but it is just the cost gets higher and the visual paybak is not always in tune.
I am in full agreement with you. I would prefer blending light probles like far Cry, KZSF, or Dying lighting to just some static maps like in AC unity or TLOU. But at the end of the day, I would want even more accuracy and dyanism. Hence why those voxel situations are so great.
Yes they have a GDC talk lined up I think as they have been their the last few years looking forward to it as I am sure are you.
I cannot find it in the GDC course catalog, could you link me?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not on XboxOne they don't and on Crisis 3 (which was my example) they also don't. My point was that having 100% real-time is great and should be commended
And also, Order cutscenes sometimes seem to just end up with you controlling the character and the camera, which to me is really impressive, as it means they don't even have a "cutscene rendering mode" like most other games that do high quality realtime cutscenes. Performance during cutscenes also seems unflinching which is crazy to me as well. I'm convinced that video rendered cutscenes in Ryse were done for performance reasons as well as for hiding the loading. The game already had enough trouble reaching 30FPS during game scenes that look less complex than what they had in cutscenes.

KKRT00

See this is really confusing to me. Are you posting that trailer specifically because you are just impressed with the reflections and thats it or are you saying that in general this is a very cutting edge game because it really doesn't look all that amazing to me.

What is confusing? See the quotes and responses. Discussion was about reflection technology and this was an example.

And its doesnt look that amazing, because You dont see nothing but placeholder effects and assets.

---
Not on XboxOne they don't and on Crisis 3 (which was my example) they also don't. My point was that having 100% real-time is great and should be commended.
Completely agree that all should be real-time, i was surprise with Ryse solution.
But pre-redendered cutscenes in Ryse were recorded on Xbone settings, so they look exactly [minus compression], like real-time cutscenes on Xbone.

OsirisBlack

Banned
No idea, I would love to have someone who owns the game test out how this "stuff" works, if it is there.

They never said anything. Blame shinobi or whoever started the whole crap rumor softbody hype stuff.

Everything that is destructible is still rendered with soft body physics.

3QCbqbO.png

Everything that is destructible is still rendered with soft body physics.

3QCbqbO.png

But once again, what does that actually mean? Their tech trailer points out (with broad brush strokes) what some of their engine does... but it does not describe them at all.

Saying "softbody physics" doesnt describe what its doing, how and what deforms, what its mechisms of deforming are.

Remember when GG said they were using real time ray tracing and there was a huge hype thread? A similar misnomer is what I am trying to avoid.

I really think planar reflections, unless they are gaussian blurred up the wazoo are just not great looking at all. Plus they only work under the assumption that the perspective is horizontal. You can immediately see the problem as soon as you are no longer parallel.

This having spoilers is hilarious btw.
I guess I will join in just in case:
I really do not think that means he is a vampire, just that (like KKRT said) if they used their character refelction system in a perfect mirror like that he would look like some black blob.
I would say other games having reflections for mirrors in the past isnt super exciting. The way they did them had a lot of problems both IQ wise and plausability-wise.

I'm not a techno genius, and I understand very little of your technobabble, but games like contagion on steam (an indie game) have decent reflections in mirrors, so I find it hard to believe that if it had been done in the technically best looking game on consoles Galahad would look like a 'black blob'.

I'm going with the spoiler answer people have come up with

I'm not a techno genius, and I understand very little of your technobabble, but games like contagion on steam (an indie game) have decent reflections in mirrors, so I find it hard to believe that if it had been done in the technically best looking game on consoles Galahad would look like a 'black blob'.

I'm going with the spoiler answer people have come up with

Galahad
would look like this in a perfect mirror if they used the same tech that they use for other character reflections:
aovolumeseqxs4.png

Dictator93 presents: Technical Game Talk For Dummies

Read a snippit of volume 1 just below this post! - Get the full book for only 2.99$

Hah. Nah, more like an idea how to structure the thread rules so people who feel unknowledgeable about stuff can still post.

OsirisBlack

Banned
But once again, what does that actually mean? Their tech trailer points out (with broad brush strokes) what some of their engine does... but it does not describe them at all.

Saying "softbody physics" doesnt describe what its doing, how and what deforms, what its mechisms of deforming are.

Remember when GG said they were using real time ray tracing and there was a huge hype thread? A similar misnomer is what I am trying to avoid.

Well describing them all would kind of ruin what you can find out by playing the game. Just discussing what has already been seen. When the grenade gets shot in the guys hand in the gif it rips his arm apart and also blows his torso open on the side where the grenade explodes.

In the more recent gif when Galahad skims a few bullets across the guys back it actually rips the cloth.

I would say those are some pretty good examples.... besides being able to destroy glass and other environmental things. Guy hiding behind something wooden? toss a flare at his ass and set it on fire..... too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom