• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

Just finished the Lycan encounter that's been shown at E3. The visuals seem to have been upgraded; it looks incredible. The fight itself reminds me of RE4; very visceral and hard hitting. I think this game will be very divisive; I like slow burn, atmospheric games, which The Order most certainly is. Those who crave constant, in your face action will probably be disappointed, because it's just not that type of game. The real star of the show is the universe itself; the settings, the characters, the way the story is told bit by bit instead of just flooding you with information. If someone were to walk in on you playing this, at first glance they would think you were watching a movie, which is what I believe RAD was aiming for. It looks eerily lifelike at times. I'm playing on Hard, with aim assist off, and I've died about 10 times so far.

The waiting, it is agony.

prwxv3

I've stated it time and time again, it's a discussion board deal with it. If you don't like the negativity too bad, that's part of a discussion. There is an ignore feature if you hate to see the other side of the coin. Just get used to it, hopefully you don't read reviews, because I'm convinced this game will get plenty of 5s, 6s, and 7s.

Jesus if you have a issue with posters kicking out negative opinions ect then PM the mods. Thats what they are here fore.

daveo42

Banned
Just finished the Lycan encounter that's been shown at E3. The visuals seem to have been upgraded; it looks incredible. The fight itself reminds me of RE4; very visceral and hard hitting. I think this game will be very divisive; I like slow burn, atmospheric games, which The Order most certainly is. Those who crave constant, in your face action will probably be disappointed, because it's just not that type of game. The real star of the show is the universe itself; the settings, the characters, the way the story is told bit by bit instead of just flooding you with information. If someone were to walk in on you playing this, at first glance they would think you were watching a movie, which is what I believe RAD was aiming for. It looks eerily lifelike at times. I'm playing on Hard, with aim assist off, and I've died about 10 times so far.

All of this sounds really good. Especially how they are telling the story. Thanks for your insight.

THIS. THIS GOT ME SO EXCITED.

Irnbru

My opinion? What am I reading here?

Dude, you come in basically piissing on a guy sharing his impressions And trying to sway to conversation to impressions which is what this is about, and get going around the merry go round.

Anyway, back on track, good things hear! I'm in the mood for a good tps romp since replaying ME2 with a soldier.

Skux

Just finished the Lycan encounter that's been shown at E3. The visuals seem to have been upgraded; it looks incredible.

This needs to be mentioned. Unlike all the other downgraded games, I'm really happy that the finished game looks a lot better than the early shots. The colour grading and post-processing makes a huge difference.

MrHoot

I just want to know if this game is really only 5 hours long?

Between 9 to 12 hours to be done with the game,plat trophy included and if you take time to examine and absorb the atmosphere.(and by done, i don't mean "just finish the story" like you will have done everything the game offers pretty much. Replays will be up to you and how much you enjoyed the story)

Might be a bit shorter if you really rush it but I don't recommend it.

After that, there ain't much to do, hoping they expand with some story stuff at least if they want to keep their project alive

I've stated it time and time again, it's a discussion board deal with it. If you don't like the negativity too bad, that's part of a discussion. There is an ignore feature if you hate to see the other side of the coin. Just get used to it, hopefully you don't read reviews, because I'm convinced this game will get plenty of 5s, 6s, and 7s.
Welp, I was gonna say I have no issue with negativity, just your constant crying about everything, but it seems you're no longer with us.

PrinceKee

Apparently no. But that depends on the way you play. Sounds like a 7 or 8 hours long, if you don't rush it.

Edit: If you're not a completionist.

Okay. I don't really care about any impressions I just don't want to pay $60 if the game is really only 5 hours. I want to buy and not GameFly...

M.W.

I hope it scores low as I have enjoyed more games in the 6's and 7's than in the 8's and 9's. Call me crazy.

Three or four Gafer's have played and completed it each clocking in at over 12 hours. Unless you are doing a speed run like that youtube guy you shouldnt be worried about the game length.

I highly doubt that the youtube guy was doing a speedrun. Also, the times I saw from gaffers included breaks from the game.

Just getting caught up with the thread. Oh my.

Thanks to those that have taken the time to write up you're thoughts on the game without being spoilery. :)

What are some thoughts on the gore? Are we talking TLoU levels?

Loudninja

So awesome.

Yup, the part of reading lots of positive things is a little worrying as it implies that might not be the case for him.

Not too worried though. Still day one for me...

Why is his opinion more valuable than that of the many people who have enjoyed the game, so that you would be worried about him sharing it after the embargo lifts? Have you seen a lot of those mighty reviewers talk about or even -God help us- play the games they report on? I have, on a number of occasions (French sites, mainly), and boy was that an eye-opening experience...

Okay. I don't really care about any impressions I just don't want to pay $60 if the game is really only 5 hours. I want to buy and not GameFly...

Since we've had conflicting reports, its best to wait until Thursday.

The reviews should clear up the competition times a bit more as we'll have a much larger sample to work with.

Violater

Who's a lot of people. One guy said the game was 5 hours. We've had people who have played the game on this very forum that have clocked in over 10.

What about the youtube play through?
I don't get it man, seems odd that the game would be that short, hopefully it isn't.

sam777

Who's a lot of people. One guy said the game was 5 hours. We've had people who have played the game on this very forum that have clocked in over 10.

Quite a few clocked in under 10 in the spoiler thread on hard difficulty. The review thread will be fun, hope it does well as I will buy it in a few months.

5amshift

Banned
Not sure why Loud Ninjas post got deleted but I went to E3 with msdstc and we were both really excited after playing the game and we have both have been holding out hoping Ready At Dawn would release something to get us more pumped, but it has been all the same thing.

I have also lost a lot of hype to the game and it will definitely be be a rental in my case. Looks like he got caught up in the ironic shit posting.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Where's the 'Stopped for a ban did you?' gif?
I'm kind of surprised people remember this gif. I had to re-upload it, I lost all my bookmarks when I upgraded my PC.
ilykcx.gif

ironcreed

Banned
I see alot of talk here about replayability.

The reason I replay games is that if the story is great and I can't get enough of it, I'll replay it for the fun of the journey again. I've done that since Jak and Daxter, I'm mainly a single player person. I like looking for extras and hidden items in my second runs or even just having fun taking the ride for a second time.

Instead of worrying about how long the game is or how many cutscenes there are, why don't we just play the game when it comes out.
If you find it fun and an enjoyable experience/ journey play it again. No need to deliberate once you play the game. If you don't like it return the game for your store credit or sell it.

While the game is heavily cinematic, its still a game. I personally stay away from watching streams or lets plays on single player games because they make me feel to play the game, which is the way its intended.

Sure its cinematic, but a game is a game whether its paced with cinematics or not in my opinion.

I'm also sure that with the amount of publicity/ advertising I've seen for the game that we'll get some sort of DLC at the very least.

This is all my own opinion and I hope not to offend anyone else's opinions. If I do I apologize.
With all doing said here's some gifs and let's enjoy the ride!

J5Eh1I4.gif

KUkEmQb.gif

hAHTFk9.gif

Yeah, the eye candy and gameplay moments like in those gifs will give me reason enough to go back to it. I have seen more than enough to know that I will dig it for what it is, regardless of the length.

Is there an option to play with the hard difficulty option right away, or do you have to complete it on the default difficulty setting before doing so?

prwxv3

Is there an option to play with the hard difficulty option right away, or do you have to complete it on the default difficulty setting before doing so?

it should be unlocked from the start.

I dont regret buying U1 for 60 dollars and that was a 7-8 hour game for me. It will probably be the same this game for me as well.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

I'm pretty sure you can start on hard. I think someone suggested hard and aim assist off for the game.

DirtyLarry

<snipped>
Thank you for providing this feedback.

It sounds like it has the potential to be one of my favorite games in quite some time.

The single player experience is why I still play video games and is by far my favorite type of experience that the medium has to offer.
I also love great visuals (as most of us do) especially those that are capable of creating and atmosphere and a world for me to become a part of that could only be delivered thanks to the medium itself.

I am so ready. 5 days left.

Seventy70

To be fair, the YouTube person uploaded all of the video, so that is more credible than the words of some people. It seems that if you go after all of the collectibles, you will get a lot more time out of it, but if you just play it normally, you will get around 5 hours.

Top Bottom