• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

IvorB

RAD really should have slapped together a quick gears of war esq multiplayer mode. I have nothing against cinematic games. But a 7 hour game that doesn't offer a lot of replayability isn't my thing.

Yeah nothing like tacked-on multiplayer to really make a game feel worth it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Not a statement but a question.

How come games like Walking Dead, Gone Home and Life is Strange get a pass on the gameplay front but a game like the Order gets absolutely abused for it.

Is it due to the presence of weapons? The lack of dialogue options? The setting? Marketing?

I'm just trying to understand. While those games do get shit on at times by people that are like, "eh this isnt a game!" It never gets it to this level.

Any ideas or theories?

It has to be the mixture of traditional shooting mechanics with more point-and-clicky adventure parts and/or long dialogue scenes.

I mean, I had a great time with The Walking Dead, and I had a great time with Uncharted and Gears, but I honestly wouldn't want to play them both in one game. If the game has action, and the action is actually good, I don't want long non-action parts breaking up that action. If the game is really just focused on telling a story, or creating an emotional experience, I don't mind if it has minimal action mechanics.

The thing is, I am usually in the mood for a specific type of game when I pick up a controller, so forcing a totally different kind of gameplay on me when I'm in the mood for another will turn me off.

I have no idea if that's how I'm going to respond to The Order (it will surely depend on ratios of types of gameplay and the quality of execution of both), but I look forward to trying it at least.

Osiris397

Banned
I've read it's around 12 hours, which makes sense...the thing is it's a little frustrating that every Playstation hater even people that own the system that are truly enthusiasts of a another platform make up their metrics and then the information to put in the metrics. No one's going to rush through a game this beautiful unless they they have an agenda and went into it with the intention of bashing the game with malicious intent.

DavidDesu

None of those are AAA tentpole exclusives. Niche games can do odd things with gameplay, especially when they're not $69.99 (Canadian pricing) new.

Making my way through this thread and I must say this comment above sets a worrying trend. Are big budget games not allowed to do their own thing. They must conform to some sort of game design by populism? Crazy talk.

Art is all about taking risks, trying something new, not copying everything that has gone before ad infinitum. THAT is what's harming gaming today.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Is this game going to be like DC, where the hate was seemingly unstoppable right before and at the games release, and then as more and more people play it and love it it grows in popularity?

You with think RAD promised the seconded coming or something based on how offended people are acting.

Also WTH with people saying someone is lying when they say the game took them more than other people to play. So everyone plays every game at the same pace/skill level?

I'm out of this thread, it is just too odd to follow some of these rationals, and I will see you all in the OT for more widespread impressions.

So it doesn't need it, you just don't see enough value in it to purchase the game. Would you feel the same way if the game had a shoehorned MP component that you would never touch?

well, if it has strong gunplay, why not? but as it stands, i don't really see any incentive to pay full price for it when it's just a singular, linear story without multiple endings, new game + or any of that re-playability factor. add in the fact that game prices in ontario, CA run 70$+tax and suddenly this game is 80$ with about a day's worth of gameplay.

schaft0620

well, based on the footage and information i'm seeing, it needs a lot more to justify it's 60$ pricetag, imo.

I can't remember the last time I paid $60 for a full retail game, GCU, B2G1, price matching, rewards, used games. I am not going to lie I was disappointed to hear that this game is less than 15 hours, I was really hoping for 15 hours. As soon as I saw it was less than 30gb I knew what was coming next. I paid $60 for the CE and I am getting a $5 reward to use on Bloodborne. I am too excited for this game to care how long it is. If it sucks I can sell the CE and take a $5 loss after I beat it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I can't remember the last time I paid $60 for a full retail game, GCU, B2G1, price matching, rewards, used games. I am not going to lie I was disappointed to hear that this game is less than 15 hours, I was really hoping for 15 hours. As soon as I saw it was less than 30gb I knew what was coming next. I paid $60 for the CE and I am getting a $5 reward to use on Bloodborne. I am too excited for this game to care how long it is. If it sucks I can sell the CE and take a $5 loss after I beat it.

Gigabytes have nothing to do with game length.

thuway

Really good quality, too. I think this might be the first game I just watch a play through of.
Ready at Dawn and Sony should be kicking themselves in the face. How could they be stupid enough to release this game two weeks before launch is beyond stupid.

Orca

Making my way through this thread and I must say this comment above sets a worrying trend. Are big budget games not allowed to do their own thing. They must conform to some sort of game design by populism? Crazy talk.

Art is all about taking risks, trying something new, not copying everything that has gone before ad infinitum. THAT is what's harming gaming today.

It's either a factor in your decision making as a studio as you approach a game, or your studio isn't going to be around very long. Spending $100 million to make a game that will sell 100,000 copies is a fantastic way to find yourself unemployed.

Games - like any other entertainment medium - need to sell in proportion to their budget. Musicians, directors, designers...if they consistently produce work that doesn't sell and as a result loses money, they quickly find it very hard to find work. The bigger the budget, the closer you aim to where the mass interests lie.

Ready at Dawn and Sony should be kicking themselves in the face. How could they be stupid enough to release this game two weeks before launch is beyond stupid.

Well to be fair it isn't officially released. Honestly if the game was coming out this Tuesday like normal, we would be better off, waiting till Friday now with the street date broken is worse.

UberTag

Nice impressions but no MP makes this a $39.99 game for me. Just can't spend that much on SP games. Weird, thought this would have been their Gears.
I think Telltale has the right idea and that strictly SP narrative-driven linear cinematic experiences should be released episodically in bite-size chunks. Not only due to value economics but to avoid scenarios where the whole game gets leaked prematurely as has been the case here.

It's a pricing model that more companies should explore although I don't believe The Order will get burned too badly on that front with Sony's marketing muscle behind it.

jett

D-Member
I predict a lot of bans

I predict entertainment.

giphy.gif

Is this game going to be like DC, where the hate was seemingly unstoppable right before and at the games release, and then as more and more people play it and love it it grows in popularity?

You with think RAD promised the seconded coming or something based on how offended people are acting.

I thought that would happen and also reviews to be in the middle saying its ok, not bad or interesting experience and excitement to die down. After seeing half the game and how much TPS action there is I fear it will be like many are predicting, a war zone.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well to be fair it isn't officially released. Honestly if the game was coming out this Tuesday like normal, we would be better off, waiting till Friday now with the street date broken is worse.

I haven't seen anyone playing on PS Live yet. I hope to though as I'd like to see more of this in action.

Korten

Banned
It has everything to do with content. I have 2 computer related college degrees.

Uh...

Lords of the Fallen is a 10+ hour game and is only 9 gb on PS4.

Also GTAV, DA:I and Advanced Warfare have roughly the same size. One of these 3 is not as big as the other 2.

De_Legend

Banned
I thought that would happen and also reviews to be in the middle saying its ok, not bad or interesting experience and excitement to die down. After seeing half the game and how much TPS action there is I fear it will be like many are predicting, a war zone.

TPS action?

There's not a lot?

schaft0620

Uh...

Lords of the Fallen is a 10+ hour game and is only 9 gb on PS4.

Also GTAV, DA:I and Advanced Warfare have roughly the same size. One of these 3 is not as big as the other 2.

OK while the exact number of GB does not directly correlate to how long the game is but when you know what type of game it is and how it looks then see the file size is less than Knack, you get a good idea that its not 15 hours. AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW? HOLY SHIT THE GAMES NOT 15 HOURS.

You see games like GTA and Dragon Age and you see they are 50+gb you know how the look you get a better idea how big they are.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't even know where to start.

You could start by arguing that because The Order is a linear game, the filesize of the game might have a reasonably strong correlation with the length of the game, because linear games are about content moreso than systems, and my Skyrim example was therefore a bad comparison. I would then respond that tons of games smaller than The Order are longer than The Order, even linear ones. So that means the relationship between filesize and content, in a linear game, is still subject to additional factors, which means that knowing JUST the filesize is insufficient to predict the game's length.

I've seen this argument before on GAF and it sounded like the side I am on right now was the winning one. But if I'm wrong I'd like to be corrected, so have at it.

well, if it has strong gunplay, why not? but as it stands, i don't really see any incentive to pay full price for it when it's just a singular, linear story without multiple endings, new game + or any of that re-playability factor. add in the fact that game prices in ontario, CA run 70$+tax and suddenly this game is 80$ with about a day's worth of gameplay.

I can understand that since it's not exactly an easy pill to swallow, especially if you're a PC gamer who's used to deep discounts and lower prices. There's nothing wrong with that sentiment, and of course, games will eventually drop in price in the future for those who aren't comfortable paying $60+ around release. However, I don't agree that the game needs multiplayer of any sort to offer "extra value" or justify the price. It's entirely possible that if they had focused on creating a multiplayer mode the main game would have suffered for it, and the actual MP may have been forgettable. As always, people will vote with their wallets, but I don't think MP is at all necessary unless the developer has a clear vision for it and wants it to be part of the package. Then there are always the time constraints, too. I imagine it's much more likely they'll do this in a future installment if we get one.

Nizz

Just saw this thread, was wondering what's the consensus on the framerate? I know from previous videos and impressions that it could get choppy. Is the framerate a smooth 30fps?

schaft0620

You could start by arguing that because The Order is a linear game, the filesize of the game might have a reasonably strong correlation with the length of the game, because linear games are about content moreso than systems, and my Skyrim example was therefore a bad comparison. I would then respond that tons of games smaller than The Order are longer than The Order, even linear ones. So that means the relationship between filesize and content, in a linear game, is still subject to additional factors, which means that knowing JUST the filesize is insufficient information to predict the game's length.

I've seen this argument before on GAF and it sounded like the side I am on right now was the winning one. But if I'm wrong I'd like to be corrected, so have at it.

Again, I said "wow its less than 30gb, I would be willing to bet its not 15 hours like I hoped" welp it turns out I was right the games not 15 hours. I have no idea what you are arguing with me about. If the game was 50gb it might have another 5 hours of game play.

dcelw540

OK while the exact number of GB does not directly correlate to how long the game is but when you know what type of game it is and how it looks then see the file size is less than Knack, you get a good idea that its not 15 hours. AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW? HOLY SHIT THE GAMES NOT 15 HOURS.

You see games like GTA and Dragon Age and you see they are 50+gb you know how the look you get a better idea how big they are.
Im sorry this sound rude but youre talking complete shit, you just stated gbs mean everything but now you say depends on the game. Okay look at watchdog over 15 hour game with some sidecontent and its around the same size of the order

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just saw this thread, was wondering what's the consensus on the framerate? I know from previous videos and impressions that it could get choppy. Is the framerate a smooth 30fps?

I've asked a few times and apparently it's very a smooth 30.

schaft0620

Im sorry this sound rude but youre talking complete shit, you just stated gbs mean everything but now you say depends on the game. Okay look at watchdog over 15 hour game with some sidecontent and its around the same size of the order

Never said that and read the first post buy that guy where he started attacking me

edit: This is dumb, see you guys in the OT. How much data is in the game means just that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Again, I said "wow its less than 30gb, I would be willing to bet its not 15 hours like I hoped" welp it turns out I was right the games not 15 hours. I have no idea what you are arguing with me about. If the game was 50gb it might have another 5 hours of game play.

You haven't presented an argument here. You are just restating what I already claimed was nonsense.

"welp it turns out I was right" isn't sufficient evidence of a sound reasoning process.

thuway

To be fair? No. What's unfair is the myriad of people who have been supporting, hyping, and participating in discussion of this game were shafted.

They shipped the game to stores a full two weeks before release and expected impressions to stay contained. They knew this would be a single player, narrative based game - yet they STILL went ahead and did it. What is the result?

THE ENTIRE GAME IS ON YOUTUBE. I don't mind negative impressions, but I can't count how many times I've read people post: "I'm just gonna watch this game on YouTube."

And can you blame them? They kept this thing so under wraps, you would think they were covering up the Roswell Incident. But now? A week before launch? You can watch it from beginning to end. A game which, no doubt probably cost dozens of millions, from a very talented team, and took four years to develop has it's ending in the form of a couple minute segment on YouTube.

What makes matters worse- you have click bait articles that are essentially damning the game on it's legnth, its gameplay, and it's very cinematic approach to design. Nope, if anyone is to blame, it's Sony. They completely and totally fucked up handling this game and it's going to be on their shoulders.

Also if you think that reviewers haven't been reading GAF threads, internet feedback, and YouTube videos- your wrong. I'm sure reviewers who would have looked at the game as a whole, are now using those impressions and diluting their scores with it. Just an opinion.

Top Bottom