• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The original Resident Evil 2 is NOT canonical anymore!

Just... so sad.

:messenger_sad_relieved:

giphy.gif

Geki-D

Banned
All of the story beats are exactly the same anyway so it doesn't even matter. I also assumed this was the case anyway. Why wouldn't the updated version be the new canon? I just hope the rest of the old franchise is on longer canon and they start over from this point.

ethomaz

Banned
All of the story beats are exactly the same anyway so it doesn't even matter. I also assumed this was the case anyway. Why wouldn't the updated version be the new canon? I just hope the rest of the old franchise is on longer canon and they start over from this point.
Remake 2 has a lot of story and enemies cut compared with the original.

Geki-D

Banned
Remake 2 has a lot of story and enemies cut compared with the original.
Cut enemies don't change anything to the canon. As far as the plot, they changed some stuff but it's nothing that actually affects the overarching story.

This is the plot for classic RE2 on wiki:

On September 29, 1998, two months after the events of the first Resident Evil,[18] most citizens of the Midwestern American mountain community Raccoon City have been transformed into zombies by the T-virus, a biological weapon secretly developed by the pharmaceutical company Umbrella.[19][20] Leon S. Kennedy, a police officer on his first day of duty, and Claire Redfield, a college student looking for her brother Chris, make their way to the Raccoon Police Department.[19]They discover that most of the police force have been killed,[21] and that Chris has left town to investigate Umbrella's headquarters in Europe.[22] They split up to look for survivors and find a way out of the city.[23][24] While searching for an escape route, Claire meets a little girl, Sherry Birkin, who is on the run from an unknown creature, and Leon encounters Ada Wong, who claims to be looking for her boyfriend John, an Umbrella researcher.[23][25]

Raccoon City police chief Brian Irons had been bribed by Umbrella to hide evidence of the company's experiments in the outskirts of the city. He also concealed their development of the new G-virus, an agent capable of mutating a human into the ultimate bioweapon.[23][26] Leon has multiple encounters with a Tyrant monster air-dropped into the Raccoon Police Department by Umbrella to seek the G-virus. Irons tries to murder Claire but is killed by a G-virus mutant in the police department. Thereupon, Claire and Sherry escape through the sewers and become separated. After splitting up with Leon, Ada comes upon Sherry and picks up a golden pendant the girl loses while running away. Further into the sewers, Ada reluctantly teams up with Leon again, after he insists on his duty to protect her. They encounter a middle-aged woman who fires at Ada, but Leon dives between them and takes a bullet himself. Ada ignores the unconscious Leon and follows the woman, who reveals herself to be Sherry's mother Annette and the wife of William Birkin, the Umbrella scientist who created the G-virus. In an attempt to protect his life's work from special agents sent by the Umbrella headquarters, he injected himself with the virus, which turned him into the malformed creature, "G" and is now chasing Sherry.[23] Annette recognizes her daughter's pendant and attempts to take it from Ada. A fight ensues, during which Annette is thrown over a railing.[27] Ada learns that the golden locket contains a sample of the G-virus, and later – taken over by her emotions – returns to Leon, tending to his bullet wound.[19][23]

Meanwhile, Claire is reunited with Sherry and discovers that "G" has implanted his daughter with an embryo to produce offspring. Leon, Ada, Claire and Sherry advance through an abandoned factory connected to Umbrella's secret underground research facility. An attack by "G" leaves Ada heavily wounded, and Leon explores the laboratory to find something to treat her wounds.[23] He is interrupted by a psychotic Annette, who explains to him that Ada's relationship with John was only a means of getting information about Umbrella: Ada is a spy sent to steal the G-virus for an unknown organization.[23][28] Just as Annette is about to shoot Leon, the Tyrant appears, and she is forced to retreat. Ada returns to save Leon and battles the Tyrant – which falls into a pit of molten metal – seemingly at the cost of her own life. She confesses her love to Leon, who leaves behind her motionless body. Meanwhile, Annette tries to escape with another sample of the G-virus but is fatally wounded by her mutated husband. However, before she dies, she tells Claire how to create a vaccine that will stop the mutations caused by the embryo within Sherry. After preparing the cure, Leon and Claire reunite at an emergency escape train and inject Sherry with the vaccine, which saves her life. En route, Leon is assisted in terminating the now-mutated Tyrant by a woman in shadow and escapes with the G-virus in the pendant.[23][29] "G"—now mutated into an agglomeration of flesh and teeth—follows Leon and Claire, but is destroyed when the train self-destructs.[23] After escaping from the city with Sherry, Leon intends to take down Umbrella, while Claire continues to search for Chris.[23][30]HUNK, one of the special agents sent by Umbrella, completes his G-virus retrieval mission.[29]

Besides a few tiny points, all of this is exactly the same.

Last edited:
Imagine if Square Enix change FFVII Remake's story and start to say it is canon lol

Capcom basically draws a line under whatever ain't making them money anymore. In 2055, we'll see more remakes of the recent games, but in "super VR" or some shit. Assuming that they're still in business by then. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

ethomaz

Banned
Cut enemies don't change anything to the canon. As far as the plot, they changed some stuff but it's nothing that actually affects the overarching story.

This is the plot for classic RE2 on wiki:

Besides a few tiny points, all of this is exactly the same.
For me it changes everything... even how the characters are characterized.

Leon's original: miss the massacre because he passed drunk in a motel after going through a breakup.
Leon's remake: miss the massacre because he was in standby at home.

Another example.

The Ada and John storyline was also cut. Even the first remake still had that connection.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if Capcom did ignore the original story, because they know that fans of the new games don't really enjoy what's too outdated. They probably want to distance themselves from the titles of the past, because the old games don't make them any big money. That's just how I feel, and no one has to agree with what I'm saying here.

Anyway, I made a few posts about how toxic Capcom is...

Geki-D

Banned
Leon's original: miss the massacre because he passed drunk in a motel after going through a breakup.
Leon's remake: miss the massacre because he was in standby at home.
Okay... And yet this is literally something the game never told us and you had to read in the manual. Pretty much no one even knew this and Leon being this neglectful guy who gets drunk and shows up late for his first day on the job isn't reflected in the game at all and throughout the rest of the series he's pretty much a straight arrow boy scout. This really isn't a good defence in favor of the classic RE2, the only reason people liked that backstory was because it was funny. And either way, Leon being drunk or Leon being on standby in no way changes the overarching canon of the RE franchise.

The voice acting was so terrible in the original and the characters so stiff, they barely had any characterisation anyway, and definitely not any that stuck with appearances in later games.

The Ada and John storyline was also cut. Even the first remake still had that connection.
"Random women looking for her boyfriend" Vs. "FBI agent". Which cover story would give you more leverage over a police officer? Also RE1 is still canon (and the "canon" of RE1 is nonsense anyway; you literally can't get the canon ending where both Barry & Rebecca survive), so John was still her boyfriend, she just doesn't mention it in RE2 Remake because why the fuck would she anyway?

Was this written by a 12 year old? It's some of the most incomprehensible nonsense I've seen in a while.
That Destructoid piece blew my mind. I had to double check it was real. Seriously, wtf?

Edit: Actually, it's a "blog"? On destructoid? What?

Anyway, I made a few posts about how toxic Capcom is...

Any excuse for self promotion. No matter how many times the mods warn you, huh.

lol From "Neogaf sucks" about the mods here:

What a bunch of Nazis
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Why the hell would you link this? :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You're so weird, man. It's been kinda fascinating watching you post obsessively about RE, then make a thread saying that you're sick of it, then plug your own shit, get banned for it, come back, post even more obsessively about RE, even in threads that have very little or nothing to do with it, now you're not only plugging your own shit but linking directly to a shitpiece you wrote on GAF. Like, genuinely, what are you smoking?

Anyway, you're definitely about to get banned for the last time, so, take care I guess, you absolute nutjob.

Zambatoh

"Random women looking for her boyfriend" Vs. "FBI agent". Which cover story would give you more leverage over a police officer? Also RE1 is still canon (and the "canon" of RE1 is nonsense anyway; you literally can't get the canon ending where both Barry & Rebecca survive), so John was still her boyfriend, she just doesn't mention it in RE2 Remake because why the fuck would she anyway?
Not a single person alive thought she was FBI, not even Leon. The missing boyfriend angle was much more believable.

You're so weird, man. It's been kinda fascinating watching you post obsessively about RE, then make a thread saying that you're sick of it, then plug your own shit, get banned for it, come back, post even more obsessively about RE, even in threads that have very little or nothing to do with it, now you're not only plugging your own shit but linking directly to a shitpiece you wrote on GAF. Like, genuinely, what are you smoking?

Anyway, you're definitely about to get banned for the last time, so, take care I guess, you absolute nutjob.

This is a forum, right? Forums exist to have discussions. This includes debating (in the case of this site's promotion) as to why games aren't made as well as they ought to me. If it does bother you about these perfectly on topic opinions in my posts and videos, and I'm sure it does, why not put a video on your channel, and counter what I'm saying then?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
How am I a nutter for posting videos, which isn't even a crime?

Your videos. Constantly. Which is against site TOS, and you've been told over and over again to cut it out.

This is a forum, right? Forums exist to have discussions. This includes debating (in the case of this site's promotion) as to why games aren't made as well as they ought to me. If it does bother you about these perfectly on topic opinions in my posts and videos, and I'm sure it does, why not put a video on your channel, and counter what I'm saying then?

I have almost zero interest in the content of the videos, it's that you keep using your own threads for thinly veiled self promotion. Take this as sincere advice; drop the YouTube thing. You already deleted one channel because you posted your stuff here and it got downvoted to hell because it was all terrible, now you've had to make another and the same thing's gonna happen because you made the mistake of posting it here. The ship has sailed. I'm really not trying to be horrid, just realistic.

Well, it seems "Geki-D" is gonna get me permanently banned, or some shit along those lines, so there's that. If that indeed does happen, feel free to tear the mods to shreds. I mean, if they're gonna boot people off forums because I called a guy out for derailing the purpose of the thread, then that's cool, because that's just being biased in my book.

Where in the TOS does it say you cannot post your own opinions videos? I even said you could post your own. That way, I can hear people's own take on whatever it is we are posting about, and most people here only post a few words at times, so that's not giving us much to go by. Is it?

AV

Well, it seems "Geki-D" is gonna get me permanently banned, or some shit along those lines, so there's that. If that indeed does happen, feel free to tear the mods to shreds. I mean, if they're gonna boot people off forums because I called a guy out for derailing the purpose of the thread, then that's cool, because that's just being biased in my book.

Confused_Ice_Cube.0.gif

I give up, man.

No, in fact, with my last breath, let me say this. You're not getting banned because of Geki or I. You're getting banned because you have such little self-awareness that alongside a video of yours that you're promoting, you posted a link to a post you wrote wherein you not only admit that you know you've been previously banned for the same thing, but also call members of this forum nazis. I cannot fathom how one person can be so clueless.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Did you? Leon specifically said that as much as he wanted to trust her, he didn't.
You may want to look back at the context of that line. It's in response to Ada bemoaning the fact Leon wouldn't just hand over the sample after Annette told him Ada wasn't FBI. Leon was all giddy in the cable car about the FBI raiding Umbrella HQ and was all gung-ho to finish Ada's FBI case by getting her the sample. Now let's switch that to women looking for her boyfriend:

Leon: "I can't wait to find your boyfriend!"
Ada: "Listen, I'm a liability at this point. I need you to bring me the G-Virus sample"
Leon: "??? What?"
Ada: "...Because, eh... My boyfriend... is... the sample?"
Leon: "????"

Well, it seems "Geki-D" is gonna get me permanently banned
You're doing that all by yourself, buddy. A mod a literally warned you in your last promo drive thread, here:

-Mod insertion (BOR)
@thesaunderschild - we've just had to listen to this for content check

Seriously though, you've been warned and banned for over promotion of your channel and repeated horror game posts multiple times. I really don't want to give you another ban for just cluttering up the boards. Clearly you have a passion for horror games, you must write out your script to read from for your video's. How about abridging the script for a longer form post?

And you were told last time you got banned. Stop playing dumb.

Last edited:
Well...

It's a fine, fine day, 4 a reunion. :messenger_horns:

It's a fine, fine day, 4 coming home.

YOU did your sitting, YOU did hard time.

But you ain't gonna sit no more.

They can't keep out there no more. :messenger_poop:

It's a fine, fine day.

Oh, yeah. :messenger_smiling_horns:

And nothing's gonna take ya - nothing's gonna take ya away!

:messenger_sunglasses:

Zambatoh

You may want to look back at the context of that line. It's in response to Ada bemoaning the fact Leon wouldn't just hand over the sample after Annette told him Ada wasn't FBI. Leon was all giddy in the cable car about the FBI raiding Umbrella HQ and was all gung-ho to finish Ada's FBI case by getting her the sample. Now let's switch that to women looking for her boyfriend:

Leon: "I can't wait to find your boyfriend!"
Ada: "Listen, I'm a liability at this point. I need you to bring me the G-Virus sample"
Leon: "??? What?"
Ada: "...Because, eh... My boyfriend... is... the sample?"
Leon: "????"
You're not even making any sense anymore. If you don't even want to have an intelligent conversation anymore then just stop.
John was her cover story specifically because it masked her true intentions. Ada being an FBI agent is a lot more on the nose and less believable.
Also in case you hadn't noticed, Leon was being quite aggressive during the cable car scene when he traded the "Do you trust me?" question with Ada, implying that Leon was already on to her by this point.

Um, I know they changed the ivy things to plant people, but... that was really very pointless, not to mention stupid. :messenger_beaming:

Everything else is just Capcom being too lazy to put it back in.

Like, where the hell was Brad as a zombie?

Zambatoh

Um, I know they changed the ivy things to plant people, but... that was really very pointless, not to mention stupid. :messenger_beaming:

Everything else is just Capcom being too lazy to put it back in.

Like, where the hell was Brad as a zombie?
I assume they had REmake 3 in mind. Parts of the station already looked like the Nemesis had his way with it. Including the dead cop eating pipe on the ceiling.
Brad's fate may have been slightly altered already.

So, if they do a remake of 3: Nemesis, it would've been cool to have kept Brad in 2 as a zombie, since the third game helped to explain how that came about. The whole remake, say whatever you will. It was a squandered opportunity to do a remake just like the 2002 remake of the original, and it's not about the camera angles, although there's that too.

Geki-D

Banned
Also in case you hadn't noticed, Leon was being quite aggressive during the cable car scene when he traded the "Do you trust me?" question with Ada, implying that Leon was already on to her by this point.
Dude, this is literally your own headcanon, not reality.

The idea that Leon isn't fully onboard with the FBI cover seeing how he acts here is utterly stupid. He even gets pissed when she tells him he isn't officially on the case because it's FBI. That's why he asks her if she trusts him.

Last edited:

Zambatoh

Dude, this is literally your own headcanon, not reality.

The idea that Leon isn't fully onboard with the FBI cover seeing how he acts here is utterly stupid. He even gets pissed when she tells him he isn't officially on the case because it's FBI. That's why he asks her if she trusts him.

Headcanon? What I'm seeing on screen is headcanon? Do you not see the body language on display here?

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Headcanon? What I'm seeing on screen in headcanon? Do you not see the body language on display here?
Ok, I guess the word "delusion" fits better, then... But please, run us through this body language that shows Leon knows Ada is lying. What stance says "I know this person is full of shit"? It sure isn't in the tone of voice or the words they're using.

There he goes. One of god's own prototypes.

QtWh8FR.png
The Joyfreak forums are gonna hear about this!

Last edited:
Top Bottom