• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds on Switch screenshots revealed, Pre-Purchase available now

CamHostage

Custom versions of games was easier when development costs were low enough to justify that kind of approach. These days, it's far easier and cheaper to just downgrade the console assets for mobile platforms. Building essentially, an entire game from scratch just doesn't really work any more.

Also consider timing. Back in the day, when games ran a year or so in development (give or take a lot of exceptions...) you could hire an outside studio partway into production, after all the pre-production is done and you have an idea of what the product line will be, and they could go off with some concept art and a few producer contacts for checking in or getting assets they need, and they could go make the product they pitched/were pitched on a timeline. Today, it's years of development for something good (especially an RPG, which isn't something that easier development really speeds up because there's so much writing and designing that just has to be done by people,) so by the time 2K knows they have a product that they're confident should have a "The Outer Worlds Portable" spin-off, it'd be a long time before that game was ready for market. If they rush it, it might turn out to be crap (it might still turn out to be crap even if they do give it their full support, and as Dane points out, many of these spin-off games were hard crap but we've mostly forgotten about the ones that sucked and only have good memory of the ones that stood out. A bad game with a big license could potentially be a negative for the brand,.) If on the other hand they did give it a lot of time, the spin-off may totally miss the interest window.

And at the end of the day, a portable spin-off would be it's own game, which may help and it may even be great, but doesn't completely solve the problem of giving The Outer Worlds to people who are interested in playing The Outer Worlds.

We're getting used to having the games we want where we want to play them, even on cellphones. The idea that Switch could do what the Wii/DS did of creating a market that had the names you know but with their own special versions of those games (which didn't really work too well back then either ... Tony Hawk Sk8land and NFS Nitro were worth owning but didn't make any Nintendo gamer I know of not feel like second-class citizens when looking over at THUG and NFS Shift,) that just may not work for the market today.

Last edited:
Last edited:

ShinNL

That's definitely not Panic Button or Saber Interactive levels of down-porting. That's still the level of where is my A/B button swap in Dark Souls porting.

ShinNL

This is getting a bit confusing.

vs

vs DF's

Everyone is asking about the difference between SwitchWatch's and GameXplain's and DF's conclusions in SwitchWatch's YouTube comment section. DF never mentioned the insane loading / pop-up issues presented in GameXplain's video.

I wonder what's going here and who's testing what version and what combination. It's almost possible that there are SD issues at play here too.

Edit: DF and SwitchWatch claimed to have the day 1 patch.

But....

SwitchUp clearly mentions he's not on the day 1 patch yet. Even though he uploaded his video in the same timeframe as the rest.

🤔🤔🤔 ???

I'm gonna check out some more stuff before fully dismissing this game after seeing DF's video.

Last edited:
This is getting a bit confusing.

vs

vs DF's

Everyone is asking about the difference between SwitchWatch's and GameXplain's and DF's conclusions in SwitchWatch's YouTube comment section. DF never mentioned the insane loading / pop-up issues presented in GameXplain's video.

I wonder what's going here and who's testing what version and what combination. It's almost possible that there are SD issues at play here too.

Edit: DF and SwitchWatch claimed to have the day 1 patch.

But....

SwitchUp clearly mentions he's not on the day 1 patch yet. Even though he uploaded his video in the same timeframe as the rest.

🤔🤔🤔 ???

I'm gonna check out some more stuff before fully dismissing this game after seeing DF's video.

I don't know man, it's just looking like a bad port. One guy seems to have a higher tolerance for its shortcomings. than the others The random loading pauses/pop in and the dookie framerate kills it for me. I was thinking about waiting for the inevtible price drop, but nah. I'll likely just play this on gamepass for PC

ShinNL

I don't know man, it's just looking like a bad port. One guy seems to have a higher tolerance for its shortcomings. than the others The random loading pauses/pop in and the dookie framerate kills it for me. I was thinking about waiting for the inevtible price drop, but nah. I'll likely just play this on gamepass for PC
Oh yeah, I'm not even trying to hide it's a bad port. I'm very disappointed with this.

I'm trying to find which reviewers are reliable or maybe the differences are a fluke of hardware / versions. Because I can't take people seriously if GameXplain's loading issue (starting at 2:50) is prevalant in all versions and no one is mentioning it besides them. I don't think anyone can tolerate that, or miss that.

JCK75

I'm sure it looks good enough on switch, but I found the game to be so incredibly lackluster I have no desire to go back into it.

It's not all that surprising. From what I remember the game ran OK on PC but it looked like a game that should be running at a way higher FPS than it was. The engine might not be the most efficient/optimized one out there.

Helios

Not to mention that the main plot is basically "capitalism bad, revolution of the masses good".
These types of dystopian stories about corporations being awful and overstepping their boundaries have been in the media for decades but weren't seen as "SJW, Communist propaganda etc." until recently . The story and choices are extremely weak (especially for an obsidian game), not because the game is made by some boogieman but because it's just awfully written.
There's this notion going around that because people saw the 4chan bait image of females looking ugly (pro-tip: everyone looks fucking ugly except for a few of the main characters) that the game is "infested by sjws".

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
People complaining about TOW on Switch are probably too young to remember the good old C64 days where ports from Arcade to computers were common and it was such a huge difference in specs from C64 or Speccy to arcade it was like porting a PS4 game to PS2.

I'm plenty old enough. But this is 2020. Most Switch owners already own a PS4, PC or Xbox One. When the difference is thos large, it is difficult to recommend the Switch version. It's worse when the Switch version often cost 2 to 5 times as much.

Top Bottom