• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds |OT| Fully Automated Hysterical Killer Galactic Capitalism

Komatsu

logo-animated-gif-superlossy.gif

general-info.png

Developer: Obsidian Entertainment
Publisher: Private Division
Release Date: October 25th, 2019
Platforms: PC | Xbox | PS4 | Switch

story.png

The game is set in an alternate future that diverged in 1901, when U.S. President William McKinley is not assassinated by Leon Czolgosz at the Pan-American Exposition. As a result, Theodore Roosevelt never succeeded him, allowing large business trusts to dominate society well into the future, where megacorporations have begun colonizing and terraforming alien planets. Originally bound for the furthest reaches of the galaxy, a colony ship's faster-than-light travel goes astray, leaving it abandoned at the edge of colony space. The player character awakens on board from cryosleep only to find that most of the passengers are still in hibernation, and begins a journey to a nearby colony to investigate the true nature of the corporations. The game features several factions and a branching story that reacts to the player's choices. [FROM THE WIKI]

development.png

pPFHdTB.png

Obsidian Entertainment, based in Irvine, California, was founded in 2003 by a group of former Black Isle Studios employees including Feargus Urquhart, Chris Avellone, Chris Parker, Chris Jones and Darren Monahan. Known for its output of solid (albeit somewhat buggy) RPG titles, they cemented their fame with a trio of rock solid sequels to established properties: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout: New Vegas.

sbprBDK.png

Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, the creators of the Fallout series, served as the game's directors and lead designers. The duo directors described the game as "the combination of [Boyarsky's] dark morbidity and Tim's silliness", and they hoped to seek a balance between silliness and drama when creating the game's tone and narrative. Romantic options were initially considered, but the feature was eventually cut by the studio. The game's writers include Boyarsky and Megan Starks. [FROM THE WIKI]

gameplay.png

sIMghQJ.png

media.png

f8XwtN2.png

reception.png

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Pretty sure it isn't, sir.

Dang. Didn’t see anything on the store so I was curious. Thanks.

The Outer Worlds PC Unlock Times
  • October 24, 2019 - 16:00 PDT
  • October 24, 2019 - 19:00 EDT
  • October 25, 2019, 2019 - 00:00 BST
  • October 25, 2019, 2019 - 10:00 AEDT
The Outer Worlds Console Unlock Times
  • October 24, 2019 - 21:00 PDT
  • October 25, 2019 - 00:00 EDT
  • October 25, 2019, 2019 - 00:00 BST
  • October 25, 2019, 2019 - 00:00 AEDT

DarkestHour

Banned
Ever so excited for this. I haven't had a night like this in years where I pre game with a super nasty gamer meal and beer.

RPGCrazied

I was going to wait but the hype got me. I love how its made by the Fallout guys. Only thing I don't really like is the first person view. Why even have a character creator if you can't see him/her most of the time?

Does this game have cutscenes that shows off your character or what?

Reactions: Isa

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Here goes all my free time for the next week or so!

Isa

Gold Member
I jumped the gun on this and spent a good while in the character creator. I love the detail in the stats and responses to chosen traits and such. I'm really happy with the way my lady turned out and its a blast so far man! I've been NEEDING a game like this for a LONG damn time, Obsidian delivered imho and that's just the intro! So glad I was able to take a second vacation this year, and at the perfect time lol.

Great OT, OP! Can't wait to see this thread grow. I've reloaded a few saves to see what would happen in dialogue choices and some can be missed, its not necessarily a game where you just go through all trees, hearing everything the npc's have to say. Also the writing and humour is top-notch.

Vtecomega

Banned
I've put 2 hours into it already. I'm not feeling it.

The gunplay is somehow worse than Fallout 4 which I didn't t think was possible. I'm playing it on xbox x. Looks ok graphically and it feels a lot more streamlined compared to their previous games but I guess I came in expecting the gamplay to have a level of polish and feel of a modern 2019 game.

I will put some more hours into it and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
I was going to wait but the hype got me. I love how its made by the Fallout guys. Only thing I don't really like is the first person view. Why even have a character creator if you can't see him/her most of the time?

Does this game have cutscenes that shows off your character or what?

I don’t think so. I think it’s all FPS view all the time.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm not one to complain about chromatic aberration but it's way overdone here. I can't find the option to turn it off specifically (PC).

Unrelated, but thank god there are ingame language options.
It's under graphics settings, 'Screen Effects'. Turn it to low and the intensity is greatly reduced. CA is shit and ugly, don't know why'd they even use it except to simulate drug overdose.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Dunno why I should be all over this (love Skyrim and mass effect), but just not excited. It’s been getting great reviews too. Hope it clicks with me tomorrow.

Last edited:

DZ_b_EZ

Sitting outside Gamestop, waiting for the early launch at 9pm. The last time I did this was for the launch of the 3DS.......exciting times.
Unfortunately, that 38GB patch is going to kill me. Thankfully, I bought beer and I have GAF/Reddit to aide me while I wait.

Komatsu

Game is 100% DRM free. And Micro-Transaction free. And Pre-Order bonus free.

Thanks for confirming. Did you get it on the EGS? We actually have no confirmation from Obsidian, as far as I can tell, in regards to whether it is actually DRM free on the EGS. Because it certainly isn't DRM free on the Game Pass - as one will notice whenever they stop paying.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played for a few hours, got my character to level 3. Going for a heavy armor, big guns build but also pumping a lot of skill points into charm / persuasion that's made for some awesome dialog choices so far.

This is already better than Fallout 4.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It's funny that people are so shocked/giddy you can play for a month on the GP trial. Welcome to the Nexflix of Games® .
I don’t think so. I think it’s all FPS view all the time.
During idle the cam will rotate your character, but yeah, until the mods hit it's FP during gameplay.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Picked up the physical copy about 5 hours ago along with CoD, installing CoD now and will que this up when I get home again in another 5 hours. Can't wait.

jshackles

I was trying to decide if I should play this on PC or Xbox One X. Downloaded on both.

But the PC version has native ultrawide support so I think it wins by default.

I’ve only played for an hour, but I’m pretty happy. I had my expectations sky high, and I’m not feeling any regrets!

That being said, as someone who uses Unreal Engine, this game feels like an Unreal game. The art direction is great, and I love the look of it, but something’s a bit off for me.

Bkdk

Like the approach they are going for, Quest, choice and consequences and humor is the focus in a more tightly designed environment, it's fun in its own way and won't feel like a direct replacement of bethesda's open world RPGs. Wish there will be mod tools for me to keep playing this until Starfield is out. biggest complain so far is too few character appearance options. There is only about 2 hairstyles that won't make a character look like lesbian.

Siri

Banned
I’m about to start this... just need to cleanup the house first. It’s always a bit weird when you’re about to launch, for the first time, a game you’ve been waiting years for. It can be a massively disappointing experience... or you could end up feeling like a kid again.

jshackles

I’m about to start this... just need to cleanup the house first. It’s always a bit weird when you’re about to launch, for the first time, a game you’ve been waiting years for. It can be a massively disappointing experience... or you could end up feeling like a kid again.
Get ready to feel like a kid then

Top Bottom