• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds |OT| Fully Automated Hysterical Killer Galactic Capitalism

Hinedorf

Banned
I ran home for lunch to start up the game and build my character after doing some research this morning. I'm going Intelligence/Charisma with stats building in Science going for the double down on scientific weapons.

Character looks similar to Rick from Rick and Morty, so that's what I named him, 4 hours till play time!

Teslerum

How's the gunplay?

To be specific, will I have to tolerate the gun mechanics for the sake of the RPG stats, or do they feel polished in their own right?

It's ok for what it is.

Yeah I think that's the best descriptor. It's a bit better than Fallout 4 imo, but you're not going to play a shooting focused game.

It's the typical pitfall of FPS-RPG's where you have multiple options. Yes, its cool that its andFPS, but fully supporting Guns/Meele/Stealth playthroughs and everything in between is a pain in the ass. You just won't get the flow you'd get in other fps games.

This is definitly not the game that solved that conundrum.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You’re going to have to tolerate the gunplay. It’s seems about on the level of Fallout 4, to me. It’s not bad, or unenjoyable, but it’s not Destiny or Borderlands 3.
It's ok for what it is.

Yeah I think that's the best descriptor. It's a bit better than Fallout 4 imo, but you're not going to play a shooting focused game.

It's the typical pitfall of FPS-RPG's where you have multiple options. Yes, its cool that its andFPS, but fully supporting Guns/Meele/Stealth playthroughs and everything in between is a pain in the ass. You just won't get the flow you'd get in other fps games.

This is definitly not the game that solved that conundrum.
Thank you for the responses. I just wanna know what I'm getting myself into.

DarkestHour

Banned
For chromoatic aborreation

Disable chromatic aberration[6]

1. Go to the configuration file(s) location.
  2. Open Engine.ini with a text editor.
  3. Add [SystemSettings] to the bottom of the file, if that section doesn't already exist.
  4. Inside that section, add r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0.
  5. Save the file.

File is here

Windows%LOCALAPPDATA%\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\
Microsoft Store%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\

Thank you! I was trying to find that file last night but lazily gave up. I was almost there!

Isa

How's the stealth in this? Is it worth being sneaky? Can I silent assassin my way through the world?

Its actually not to bad. Granted I'm only about 6 hrs in and I've spec'd into Mind (Intelligence, Perception) and Charm stats, so essentially my best are in Dialog, Stealth and Tech. I've never been spotted going through town or settlements stealing everything not nailed down, and in combat there isn't any vision cone or things like that that I've encountered yet, but there is a marker over foes that'll fill up as they detect your character. From gear and mods I've used and have, such as lighter gear enhancing stealth stats and a mod to make footsteps fall silent. Also, getting points into Sneak is great, deals massive damage to unaware enemies, which I've tried at close range with melee and from afar with a sniper.

So just as I figured I spent like 40 minutes in the character creator. I then started the game and immediately regretted my choices so I started over. Went with a dude focusing on speech and sneak/engineering. This will be my diplomatic playthrough, next one with be my bruiser playthrough. Just gonna slaughter everything.

Reactions: Isa

Siri

Banned
Wow.... those how-to videos. Half the fun of an RPG is learning on your own what works and what doesn’t - sometimes getting by with a ‘gimped’ character can be a ton of fun because you’re forced to think up different ways of advancing. I guess some people want... other people to play the game for them??

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Initially saw Fallout 3 in it but the further I get in the more I see Bioshock Infinite. That's not a compliment. Everything is so non-interactive, it's just another mediocre shooter. Sure it looks great, but so did BI. And the anti-corporate stuff hits you in the face with a shovel. It's a long way from subtle. So far so disappointed.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Great job, OP. I can’t wait to tackle this game and see where it takes me. Just have to wait for my son to stop playing modern warfare on my PC.

Kids....🤷‍♂️

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Okay so I'm still in Emerald Vale and checking out every little corner because I want to stretch this game out as long as possible. Why? Because I freaking LOVE IT!

I have yet to encounter a single bug, I love the humor, the characters, the art direction and aesthetics of this game, and the graphics are perfectly acceptable on the OneX, much better than I expected to be honest.

Gears 5 may end being my 2nd choice for GotY if this game continues to be as good as it's been so far.

ebevan91

Okay so I'm still in Emerald Vale and checking out every little corner because I want to stretch this game out as long as possible. Why? Because I freaking LOVE IT!

I have yet to encounter a single bug, I love the humor, the characters, the art direction and aesthetics of this game, and the graphics are perfectly acceptable on the OneX, much better than I expected to be honest.

Gears 5 may end being my 2nd choice for GotY if this game continues to be as good as it's been so far.

Only bug I've encountered so far was that all sounds except for music cut out at the Geothermal Plant, but someone suggested I update my video drivers and that seemed to fix it.

spons

Anyone tried melee?

I was thinking about some kind of space ninja but this is FPS...
It's doable but somewhat difficult in that the bullet time feature has (or seems to have?) little practical use outside of checking weaknesses.

Obviously I
immediately ditched the professor, sold his location to the board and now doing missions for them
to clean up the mess in the colony. The anti-corporatism isn't really THAT black and white, although it's somewhat leaning. Let's see how this plays out before I form an opinion.

Last edited:

Teslerum

The anti-corporatism isn't really THAT black and white, although it's somewhat leaning. Let's see how this plays out before I form an opinion.

Well the premise is the extreme. I'm just glad they portray actual humans with their own reasons working inside the corporations.
In that sense Outer Worlds does a better job than New Vegas did with portraying the legion as an alternative.

Of course you don't have a third alternative like Mr. House here like you did in Vegas. So, its not exactly the same thing.

Last edited:

spons

Well the premise is the extreme. I'm just glad they portray actual humans with their own reasons working inside the corporations.
In that sense Outer Worlds does a better job than New Vegas did with portraying the legion as an alternative.

Of course you don't have a third alternative like Mr. House here like you did in Vegas.
I haven't played a lot yet but as I said in the other thread, it's as if reviewers played this about 6 or 7 hours then just stopped. But even in that time span you meet characters with different points of view, even some of your companions are more complicated than "corps bad rebels good". As you said, being able to hear out everybody in this game is one of the stronger points.

This is my GOTY so far, been playing for a while today and have been enjoying it the whole time. Ran into a small hitch where I got stuck trying to jump up some terrain, but I know well enough to keep multiple saves so I only lost a few minutes.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm kinda surprised that I had to edit the ini file within 3 minutes of starting the game to turn off mouse acceleration. Every Fallout on PC had the same problem. Why are they copying even the bad things?

DarkestHour

Banned
I'm kinda surprised that I had to edit the ini file within 3 minutes of starting the game to turn off mouse acceleration. Every Fallout on PC had the same problem. Why are they copying even the bad things?

Seems like they gave little thought to PC. Even the graphics options are incredibly general and don't allow individual tweaking.

Give them time, I trust they'll patch the game to cater more towards PC players.

Last edited:

Coflash

Odd design choice to restrict saves in the highest difficulty, then to lock you out of your ship (the only place you can manually save) until who knows when.

55 minutes into that game I finally found a new zone which triggered an auto-save.

I'm surprised they didn't allow the same save mechanics from Pillars of Eternity (another Obsidian game). Buying / crafting an item to allow for a single save would have been better than this system.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Played for a couple of hours tonight. It seems pretty good, but I'm not sure about it yet. Seems really simplified even compared to Fallout 4. So far on Normal difficulty, the combat has been braindead easy.
I'm hoping this first town area is just a tutorial thing or something.

Coflash

Played for a couple of hours tonight. It seems pretty good, but I'm not sure about it yet. Seems really simplified even compared to Fallout 4. So far on Normal difficulty, the combat has been braindead easy.
I'm hoping this first town area is just a tutorial thing or something.

Yeah it is. It opens up a bit after that. But also, in regards to Fallout, I agree that it's FAR less complex in many ways. They said it would be which I understand, but people are still drawing comparisons so I think it's only fair to give a response to those.

I think those comparing it calling it better are getting way ahead of themselves. The RPG aspects are far better than any Bethesda Fallout game for sure, but that's where it ends. Without even going into how what mods offer, the vanilla FO4 has better weapon & armour customisation, exploration, weather types, items, modes of travel, enemy types, gore, dismemberment, visuals, atmosphere, wildlife, character variety, weapon types (and so on) - these are things that feel much cheaper in this game. And the AI is atrocious.

This is why FONV was so good - it had the best of both worlds. I hope the success of this game allows them to deliver something on a similar scale to a main Fallout game in the future.

Last edited:

Komatsu

Fired it up on the XB1X after considering download it for PC - I subscribe to Game Pass on both platforms. It's the least janky and buggy release Obsidian has ever released and I've been playing their stuff since they started. Granted, it's no Borderlands but then again this is a hefty, deep RPG.

Komatsu

Which is effectively just a frontend for the shitty Windows store.
If the store is flaky for you the Xbox beta app won't help at all and on some ways makes it worse

I don't think the new ("new") Xbox app is a frontend for the Store/UWP at all. It's a PWA and it even pings different servers than those of the Store when downloading games.

Hinedorf

Banned
I've just gotten to the point of leaving the first world - impressions so far

-It's not like space-fallout, IT IS SPACE-FALLOUT
-First planet is too on-the-nose for actually being world of Fallout 4
-Like Fallout 4 only not buggy
-Action/Shooting is really awful feels opposite of an RPG whereas everything else makes this an RPG
-Social skills/choices feel very Fallout 2 in Fallout 4's body, interesting, fun, intriguing

Optimism is through the roof but it wouldn't shock me if there's some game breaking bug 40 hours into it. If Fallout 4 had this much polish it would have been GOTY.

• Thoughtful
So, is there an underlying theme/agenda of anti-capitalism in the game? Because it would really, really put me off being forced to be like a rebel that takes down "big, evil corporations".

TwiztidElf

Really enjoying the game, but damn did
Parvatis love interest on Groundbreaker feel really rushed, out of place, awkward, and jarring. They made no attempt to make it seem like any more than 2 days of time had passed, and she went from doting respect to madly in love.
First part of the game where I really rolled my eyes.

Anki

Banned
Text is so tiny I have hard time reading it. Hopefully devs will fix this and make the text bigger, until then I can play something else.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I played about 3.5 hours of Supernova difficulty. I loved Survival on Fallout 4 so I figured this would be up my alley.

For the most part, it is. But there are some annoyances. Like why can't the cities have inns so you could pay to use the bed to save? Being able to save only in the ship and at no other point ever is really strange.

And the companion AI is pretty bad on top of them dying really fast. I had to keep reloading because of it. As soon as I can dump her off after a quest, I'm going back to solo.

• Thoughtful

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
For the most part, it is. But there are some annoyances. Like why can't the cities have inns so you could pay to use the bed to save? Being able to save only in the ship and at no other point ever is really strange.

Not being able to save anywhere is a part of higher difficulties? I'm only playing on normal, but that sounds tough.

GymWolf

The dialogues system in this game is perfection.

Why can't we have a similar system in every fucking game?

For now the only noticeable flaws are the cadavers from enemies who don't glow enough so it's hard to loot sometimes in open areas and the kinda weak shooting, maybe it's because my weapons are shit right now but i have kinda low expectation on that, the only meaty hits are when you kill the enemy, before they are kinda impassible to projectiles.

Melee is kinda clunky but with more oompf than guns at least.

Last edited:
So, is there an underlying theme/agenda of anti-capitalism in the game? Because it would really, really put me off being forced to be like a rebel that takes down "big, evil corporations".

so I'm in the first arena and all text/storys are anti SOZIALIST/Kommunist and not anti capitalism......

proof:
the story of you first companion:
birth and childhood -
100% same things happened in Stalins Russia

but most people are to stupid to know.

Top Bottom