• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds |OT| Fully Automated Hysterical Killer Galactic Capitalism

BigBooper

Is there a clock anywhere? I don't like wandering around at night so I sleep when I find a bed, but I don't know if I should sleep for 6 8 or 12 hours.

Grinchy

Banned
Jesus Christ I'm not sure I'm going to make it through this game. The guns do no damage. What's the point of a shotgun that does less than 10% of a target's health at point blank? sniper rifles tickles the enemy. If you aren't using the exact element the enemy is weak to you're fucked, and fuck you if you rolled a character that can't carry 12 guns around.

Edit: Just figured it out. The reason you didn't have this issue in FO games...explosives. This game has no grenades, bombs or mines. In NV I'd go buy some dynamite right about now.
I know I was confused by my shotgun being useless at first. Turns out it dropped in an almost broken state. The game wanted you to save up enough weapon parts to fix it and then it does its actual damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Grinchy

Banned
I got myself a little bit hooked to this yesterday. It's not often that I play a new game for 7 hours in a day. In fact, that's extremely rare these days.

Obviously I could point out my nitpicks and actual problems with the game, but it's Fallout with massive improvements. Supernova difficulty isn't as hard as you think it'd be. It just makes every mission seem like a big deal, which helps the game a lot.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
That's how I felt about it too, plus like some others here the Ol' Lady came off a bit weird and too me, arrogant and self aggrandized. Reed may have been wrong on a few points but never really struck me as full of himself. He genuinely believed he was doing his best for the town and I ended up having him step down and Adelaide or whatever her name was take over. What surprised me even further is how well he took it, gracefully even, whereas that lady was emotional, it was all about HER, and frequently slipping insults to me. Not once do I recall Reed ever insulting me. I honestly regretted putting her in charge.

Seriously loving the game, really hard to put down. I had to force myself to go to bed. It'll be one of the few games I replay that's for certain. It took me 10+hrs to leave the first planet, and now I'm 13 hrs in.

My eyes were on fire last night from staring at the screen for WAY too many hours when I finally quit playing last night. I think I stayed in the 1st area for like 12+ hrs before realising I'd seen every inch of it & finally left. I'm going to try to take a few breaks today (like right now) so my eyes don't burn out of my head tonight.

CatLady

I got myself a little bit hooked to this yesterday. It's not often that I play a new game for 7 hours in a day. In fact, that's extremely rare these days.

Obviously I could point out my nitpicks and actual problems with the game, but it's Fallout with massive improvements. Supernova difficulty isn't as hard as you think it'd be. It just makes every mission seem like a big deal, which helps the game a lot.

Is the combat tougher on Supernova? I went with hard because I'm not vaguely interested in tedious survival aspects and absolutely detest limitations on fast travel, but I sure wish the combat was more difficult on hard. I'm just out of Edgewater and already feel OP.

Isa

My eyes were on fire last night from staring at the screen for WAY too many hours when I finally quit playing last night. I think I stayed in the 1st area for like 12+ hrs before realising I'd seen every inch of it & finally left. I'm going to try to take a few breaks today (like right now) so my eyes don't burn out of my head tonight.

By the Architect, that's dedication! Do you have any eyedrops close at hand? Reminds me of my youth tbh, renting a game and spending all night with friends or family and the next day taking a HUGE break because of eye strain. Then going back to it because the games were so good. Nowadays I go in like Riddick.

CatLady

By the Architect, that's dedication! Do you have any eyedrops close at hand? Reminds me of my youth tbh, renting a game and spending all night with friends or family and the next day taking a HUGE break because of eye strain. Then going back to it because the games were so good. Nowadays I go in like Riddick.

I do have some somewhere & need to find them, 'cause we're in the middle of a Santa Ana (for those not in SoCal it's hot, dry, desert wiinds) which make it much worse and I KNOW I'm not going to spend much time away from this game.
Yes , I am video game junkie :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Is the combat tougher on Supernova? I went with hard because I'm not vaguely interested in tedious survival aspects and absolutely detest limitations on fast travel, but I sure wish the combat was more difficult on hard. I'm just out of Edgewater and already feel OP.

I haven't played any other difficulties to know how it compares, but yeah you have to really hit your shots and plan out which enemy you wanna take out first, when to use the time dilation, ect. You can die so quickly that you have to kinda do everything well.

But, if you are speccing yourself to do a specific thing like long guns, you become powerful pretty early in. So I've got a "glass cannon" situation going on now. It's extremely fun to play this way for me.

LostDonkey

Ill be honest im really enjoying it. Been having fun with my first follower, going to bars and completing missions together. Havent had this much fun with the first few hours of a game in a long time. Think im only level 10 or so but cant wait to see what the universe holds. The dialogues are great and some of the options it gives you have had me chuckilng. Ive been playing as a very short tempered sarcastic cunt to put it lightly and I cant wait to jump back in later tonight. Great first impression so far.

dok1or

Playing on Supernova and its hard! Setting companion AI is must on this difficulty!
But I love challenge in games and playing on slow pace...

Some gameplay... That recoil...
And here I forgot to set Parvati AI so she just walk around in fgiht... HAHAHAHA

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm enjoying the game more as I go on. Finished the tutorial planet and was satisfied with the situation I left it in. Took Parvati and the Vicar guy with me as companions and am exploring the space freighter now.

Definitely seems like I made the right choice investing in dialogue attributes and skills, since so much of the important events seem to be determined by conversations.

Also, I feel like some of the gun types are just flat out better than others. Shotgun seemed super weak, while this gatling gun I found is way overpowered.

I'm enjoying the game more as I go on. Finished the tutorial planet and was satisfied with the situation I left it in. Took Parvati and the Vicar guy with me as companions and am exploring the space freighter now.

Definitely seems like I made the right choice investing in dialogue attributes and skills, since so much of the important events seem to be determined by conversations.

Also, I feel like some of the gun types are just flat out better than others. Shotgun seemed super weak, while this gatling gun I found is way overpowered.

you know that shotgun had only 5-25 meters range?
i kill most enemy one shot with the shotgun..[5-10m]. to see and shot the weak points you must activate slow motion....

Anyone else go grab the axe from the front face of the landing platform? It's like a Zaku's Heat Hawk from Gundam.

This game is exactly what I needed. It's fucking cold out and I just wasted the whole day playing it and have zero regrets. Great work Obsidian!

scalman

Game is more like shooter less like fallout rpg's less deep there. Just level up ranged weapons and speach skills and just run and shoot everyone. Its not even as good as new vegas if developers are same they where lost that magic.
But story is good and dialogs are interesting to listen , missions are ok, though first i killed some men randomly and just later i get mission to collect their fingers so just run to them dead bodies and collect it. Ok.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Game is more like shooter less like fallout rpg's less deep there. Just level up ranged weapons and speach skills and just run and shoot everyone. Its not even as good as new vegas if developers are same they where lost that magic.
You aren't wrong, but hopefully this is a stepping stone and gives them breathing room to make Outer Worlds 2 more like New Vegas.

DZ_b_EZ

This is hands down not just the best game of the year for me, but one of the greatest games of this generation. I'm about to head to the Stellar Bay now and I've been playing on normal. Had the awesome experience of buying it at Gamestop early Thursday night and that just made it more hype.

After a few hours into Fallout games (never played Vegas), I tend to stop playing but this game leaves me with an addictive feeling that I haven't had since Elder Scrolls V. Science bless Obsidian.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it's just because I'm not getting super sucked into the world or invested in the characters, but I just got to Monarch (Stellar Bay) and so far it all seems rather shallow and samey and ultimately lacking in ambition. Feels to me like they took some stuff they liked from Fallout, Mass Effect, and Borderlands and mashed it all together in a competently done package that sort of lacks its own identity. I plan to play more, but I'm 6 hours in and already starting to get a bit bored of the core loop.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm on Game Pass PC, and I just successfully created the following characters and went into the actual gameplay portion with:

1. Pontiac Trans Am
2. Tranny Manny
3. Butt Fucker
4. Nigga on Trigga (*nobody give me your sanctimonious bullshit on this, I'm married to a black woman)
---
I wonder what version this is allegedly happening on?

Last edited:

bilderberg

I'm only a few hours in so maybe i'm off base here, but does the writing seem a bit too on the nose? Like theirs an invisible hand nudging the decisions i make and judging me for it. Even the opening with its "only colony owned by corporations..." Oh, so it's that kind of game... You're just going to spell out the themes within the first 30 seconds? I hope theirs some gray and it isn't just "the corporations are evil maaaaan."

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I'm only a few hours in so maybe i'm off base here, but does the writing seem a bit too on the nose? Like theirs an invisible hand nudging the decisions i make and judging me for it. Even the opening with it's "only colony owned by corporations..." Oh, so it's that kind of game... You're just going to spell out the themes within the first 30 seconds? I hope there's some gray and it isn't just "the corporations are evil maaaaan."

It doesn't go away.

I've started making a shitlist of NPCs that will be eating bullets once I've reached max level and can go full murder hobo.

LostDonkey

I'm on Game Pass PC, and I just successfully created the following characters and went into the actual gameplay portion with:

1. Pontiac Trans Am
2. Tranny Manny
3. Butt Fucker
4. Nigga on Trigga (*nobody give me your sanctimonious bullshit on this, I'm married to a black woman)
---

How-To-Be-Racist-and-Have-Black-Friends-at-the-Same-Time.png

😂 😂 😂

Teslerum

I'm only a few hours in so maybe i'm off base here, but does the writing seem a bit too on the nose? Like theirs an invisible hand nudging the decisions i make and judging me for it. Even the opening with its "only colony owned by corporations..." Oh, so it's that kind of game... You're just going to spell out the themes within the first 30 seconds? I hope theirs some gray and it isn't just "the corporations are evil maaaaan."

There is. Or to be more precise. The people themselves working in its confines are a lot more complex than *muh evil*. The corporatism itself is driven to an extreme based on an alternate reality (where robber barons never went away), but for example in the very first quest you get most people in this thread had more sympathies with the corps man.

Likewise *rebel* leaders have skeletons in their closet or are irrationaly driven. The game often has moments where you go into a quest and information you get will change your opinion on it.

Again though, if you approach this game with one mindset only you're just going to confirm your own notion by playing a certain way.

P.S. The corporatism reminds several people actually more of stalinism than capitalism as well.

Last edited:

Teslerum

1. Pontiac Trans Am
2. Tranny Manny
3. Butt Fucker
---

It happens for me on GamePass too. It's pretty dumb. That said it seems to be some sort of a generic filter (Not every word, multiple languages). And some of the words are even spoken inside the game. Leftover?

Does Unreal have a built in filter btw?

We'll see how they respond next week anyway.

Last edited:
It doesn't go away.

I've started making a shitlist of NPCs that will be eating bullets once I've reached max level and can go full murder hobo.

I've been doing the exact same thing :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_beermugs: . It's good to know that I'm in good company with my fellow gamers at NeoGAF. I'm a little bit ahead of you though (my character's hands already have pixels on them).

It's a fantastic game (besides the hilariously unattractive female NPCs).

Last edited:

JangoRain

Digging it. Seems like it’s going to be a nice chunk of a game but not too too long. Really appreciate that considering most big rpgs get backlogged due to their bloated length.

nowhat

Well, I completed the game in 11 hours and 31 minutes. Now to replay it differently. You miss out on a lot of content by picking a certain path it seems, so it's about more about replaying the thing than expecting to get 30 hours out of a single run. Entire communities were pretty much skipped in my board/corporations-run, especially if you "just follow orders" like you're supposed to in that regard.

The sequel-hook is jarring and really has to be experienced by yourself. I'm not even going to put that shit behind spoiler tags, seriously what the hell. "Here something that changes everything, oh and by the way the game's done, see ya next time".
Yeah, the main story can be quite short. Agreed on the ending too - do I want a sequel, sure, but it's quite on the nose.

But liking the game and will roll a new character/do a more completionist run now. It's not without flaws though (no crashes or major bugs thankfully, although one time after combat I kept burning and it wouldn't stop, eventually died from it), the facial models are quite meh and the enemy AI can be quite crap.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
If it doesn't happen on XBOX this really seems like something went wrong.
Xbox:
BimboGif.gif

PC:
TrNgGif.gif
Not that I give a fuck about naming my characters something shitty.

My guess. If this is real it's one of a few possibilities:
1. Based on the country you're in. I'm in the USA.
2. Based on being on PS4
3. Based on being on EGS
---
P.S.- I enjoy this game quite a bit, so I want to avoid fake news or a witch hunt(Gamers are very reactive. They are conditioned like that).

Last edited:

Teslerum

P.S.- I enjoy this game quite a bit, so I want to avoid fake news or a witch hunt(Gamers are very reactive. They are conditioned like that).

Thank you. Yeah, that points to a mistake.

If it is a one, then it will get removed or explained anyway. Until then it is what it is.

I'm finished with Edgewater and i've explored a bit of Groundbreaker. So far, my impressions are overall very positive. I think this is the most polished game Obsidian has ever made, i have yet to encounter a single bug or crash. Performance is rock solid at a mix of Medium/High settings with a resolution of 1080p, even on my sub-standard PC.

The game feels like a mixture of (modern) Fallout and Mass Effect, but with more of a Fallout vibe rather than a Mass Effect vibe. I haven't played New Vegas in years, so i can't exactly recall and properly compare the quest design and writing of that with Outer Worlds, but so far, the writing is decent - to good and the quest design is good. The companions i have so far encountered and enlisted to be part of my crew are developed enough for me to be interested in them (and do their quests). The voice acting is good, no complaints there. I'll have to play more to make a better overall opinion, but right now - It's real good.

The combat is decent. It's much, much better than Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas in this regard. It's above serviceable for sure, and it's mostly fun, which was a pleasant surprise because i didn't expect much of the gunplay. Allthough the enemy AI, specifically human enemies can be a little annoying in how underdeveloped they seem to act. And by underdeveloped, i mean annoyingly stupid. I've found a wide range of fun weapons that i've enjoyed testing out, and i'm sure i'll find more considering i'm still early into the game. Upgrading them with mods and tweaks is satisfying, and i eventually learned that tweaking your weapons is very important because it's essentially the way to level them up for more damage. If i don't tweak them, they begin to be under-leveled and not good.

Overall, i can't really think of anything negative that is worth mentioning. I want to withhold my final judgement on it until i'm completely finished with it, but for now it is by far one of the best games released this year, and one of the best RPGs released in recent years. And much, much better than Bethesda's take on Fallout. It's an incredibly good base as well that i suspect Obsidian will flesh out more with DLCs and hopefully future sequels.

I had the same opinion until i finished the Edgewater area and left for Groundbreaker. But, the writing subverted my expectations concerning the conflict between Reed and Adelaide, and i appreciated that. I don't want to spoil anything, but suffice to say that people on the side of corporatism aren't written as evil cartoons. Overall i think that entire quest line is well done.

TheContact

I played about 3.5 hours of Supernova difficulty. I loved Survival on Fallout 4 so I figured this would be up my alley.

For the most part, it is. But there are some annoyances. Like why can't the cities have inns so you could pay to use the bed to save? Being able to save only in the ship and at no other point ever is really strange.

And the companion AI is pretty bad on top of them dying really fast. I had to keep reloading because of it. As soon as I can dump her off after a quest, I'm going back to solo.

two things: supernova is designed to be used on a second play through when you’re used to the game mechancs

also, you can adjust your companions play style in their options. I suggest turning off aggressive and set to defensive otherwise they’ll just rush in and die

Soltype

The difficulty in this game is weird, I'm playing on the second to the hardest level, and I'm still breezing through it.I have a ton of inhalers and ton of ammo, I thought I'd be scraping by, but I'm sitting pretty.

nowhat

Meant to type this earlier WRT the negative aspects of the game - to my surprise, the perks are quite underwhelming. Sure, there are some genuinely useful perks, but I would have expected more "wackiness".

This also relates to the "flaws" system. Conceptually I think it's intriguing: add a permanent stat debuff in exchange for something beneficial, sure, I could work with that. Just that when the reward is a single perk point, and the perks are what they are, there's really no incentive IMHO to get those flaws unless you want to make the game more difficult.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The difficulty in this game is weird, I'm playing on the second to the hardest level, and I'm still breezing through it.I have a ton of inhalers and ton of ammo, I thought I'd be scraping by, but I'm sitting pretty.

same. I suppose the problem is they want to support different modes of play like melee combat including running straight through bullets to thwack people and the skills don't differentiate enough between different play types

Top Bottom