• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds |OT| Fully Automated Hysterical Killer Galactic Capitalism

Set her distance to far, give her a sniper rifle, get her to hold position far away and use her special ability when they're almost dead

She's more useful than a hindrance after a while
most of the people today are not train to use the brain when playing games.
There is tactical deepness in the game that how i like it.

GymWolf

I want to be an asshole in the game but i fear that my companions can leave me alone if i play like a human turd...

I know it's a possibility but i don't know how much i can push before ruining a relation...

Do you know if you can have companions for an asshole run?

Teslerum

I want to be an asshole in the game but i fear that my companions can leave me alone if i play like a human turd...

I know it's a possibility but i don't know how much i can push before ruining a relation...

Do you know if you can have companions for an asshole run?

Probably not a good idea to put a bullet in someone's brain they have a relationship with.
Otherwise they are pretty forgiving and you can talk them out of it.

They will of course, give you a piece of their mind though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

GymWolf

Probably not a good idea to put a bullet in someone's brain they have a relationship with.
Otherwise they are pretty forgiving and you can talk them out of it.

They will of course, give you a piece of their mind though.
Oh yeah i was talking more as a talkative asshole with maybe the easy trigger sometimez but not a straight up maniac who kill every npc.

Last edited:

spons

Well, I completed the game in 11 hours and 31 minutes. Now to replay it differently. You miss out on a lot of content by picking a certain path it seems, so it's about more about replaying the thing than expecting to get 30 hours out of a single run. Entire communities were pretty much skipped in my board/corporations-run, especially if you "just follow orders" like you're supposed to in that regard.

The sequel-hook is jarring and really has to be experienced by yourself. I'm not even going to put that shit behind spoiler tags, seriously what the hell. "Here something that changes everything, oh and by the way the game's done, see ya next time".

Teslerum

The sequel-hook is jarring and really has to be experienced by yourself. I'm not even going to put that shit behind spoiler tags, seriously what the hell. "Here something that changes everything, oh and by the way the game's done, see ya next time".

Have to agree with that. I mean it was like you were watching a teaser announcing Outer Worlds 2 rather than something you put on the end of a game.

Teslerum

BTW: 1 1/2 playthroughs in the average critic score is fair 85% fits. Good game, great writing (for its style and what it tries to convey of course. It's humorous so that applies even more.), amazing rpg mechancs. That alone secures 80%.

However, as pointed out already, immense room for improvements in so many areas that you objectivly can't give it much higher than that. 5% seems right. It's not a 90%+ game on average at all.

It's going to be a personal favourite of a lot of people (including me), it's going to be a disappointment for some, and it's gonna rub a few people the wrong way. Which honestly doesn't surprise me.

From its setting to its story to its writing to its gameplay.
You're going to have the best time when you just play the game without any preconcived notions.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Supernova starts out brutal almost just because of water, but just like Survival on Fallout 4, you can become pretty powerful after that early phase.

I'd totally recommend playing it on that difficulty. It gives you the sense of tension that pulls the whole experience together.

Stuart360

Well, I completed the game in 11 hours and 31 minutes. Now to replay it differently. You miss out on a lot of content by picking a certain path it seems, so it's about more about replaying the thing than expecting to get 30 hours out of a single run. Entire communities were pretty much skipped in my board/corporations-run, especially if you "just follow orders" like you're supposed to in that regard.

What the.....it took me 7 hours before i finished the first planet. I'm now 9 hours in and have picked up about 10 side quests to do on the space ship Goliath or whatever its called. How the hell did you beat the whole game in 11.5 hours?.
Did you only do the main missions?

Last edited:

imsosleepy

geezus im curently on a planet that I fucking hate and I had to walk a long time to get somewhere for a mission and then when I talked to the guy I had to walk all the way back but that planet is really hard to navigate... takes so much time. not much fun :/

Lanrutcon

Initial thoughts after 8 hours:
- It's very Fallout 3.
- Character progression is kind boring. The traits you unlock with skill points aren't very exciting or game changing.
- Gunplay feels like off. Was hoping this first person rpg would actually have guns that feel good.
- It's super easy. Currently on another planet with huge enemies that can kill me quickly. Doesn't matter. They can't climb on things so you can kill them with any weapon and a little bit of time.
- The AA they force you to use makes the game look like you're viewing it through a dirty lens. Very VERY blurry. Texture quality is fucking terrible. The Unreal Engine needs to die. The game looks great...in stills or if you're sitting a room away. In general the PC visual options are horrible.
- Real lack of variety in loot. I just stopped looting enemies when I had thousands of bullets and cash with nothing to buy. The inventory management isn't worth the time spent.
- Game is at its best when you're exploring the weird natural parts of an alien planet.

It's fun. It's just...Fallout 3 came out in 2008. It's 11 years later. Someone get these guys a budget so they can make a game for this decade. A really solid 7/10, unless the game is going to drastically switch up the pace after the first 8 hours.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

So, is there an underlying theme/agenda of anti-capitalism in the game? Because it would really, really put me off being forced to be like a rebel that takes down "big, evil corporations".
I would say no. I’m near the end of the first planet and there isn’t any real free market capitalism going on. The first planet is run by just one large corporation and there is a corporate town and the corporation controls almost everything, from birth until the day you die, If anything, the rebels are fighting for freedom and more of a free market capitalist society. The corporation is more of an oppressive Stalin style dictatorship.

Kenpachii

Played it for two hours, killed everybody. Works well it seems.

Also weapon are weak as hell.

Also runs pretty well, lowest i saw it go was 90 fps in a town at ultra 1080p, mostly hovers around the 120 fps it seems. Some microstutter issue's after loading for a sec it seems. But that's about it.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Is there anyway to equip a sniper with a silencer? I have a bunch of mods for it but can't seem to equip it on any weapon never mind the one I want. Makes stealth pointless so far.

Is there anyway to equip a sniper with a silencer? I have a bunch of mods for it but can't seem to equip it on any weapon never mind the one I want. Makes stealth pointless so far.
I’ve found a couple mods that reduce the sound of weapons. They can’t be equipped on every weapon, but they seem to do what your asking. I attached it to a rifle, and I think it worked well? Sometimes the AI makes it hard to figure out stealth attacks and enemy notification.

pr0cs

I don't think the new ("new") Xbox app is a frontend for the Store/UWP at all. It's a PWA and it even pings different servers than those of the Store when downloading games.
If you run them at the same time and tell the app to download something you'll see that request get spawned in the store and all management of your games is done by the store.
All of the problems I've had are with the store and my account all fixed outside of the app.

Teslerum

I chose Edgewater with the botanist in charge. It was a compromise I thought would work out. Honestly, they all seemed pretty incompetent.

I said it before, but the most sympathetic charachter in that situation is Reed for me. Yes, he has his flaws too, but he really just wants what's best for the town and the people living in it. Which is funny, because when you initially approach him and he berates Parvati you get an impression like *That guy is evil/a snake*. Meanwhile his rebel counterpart is much less willing to compromise. Mostly for emotional reasons as well.

Shouldn't judge people by their cover.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Playing it atm. So far the weakest Obsidian game gameplay wise.

1. Whole stat system for this game is seriously retarded. Traits are like -3% to specific damage. Skills are in groups, main stats don't make a fucking sense. Perks are just flat bonuses to some stats aka the most boring shit. Literally borderland gass shooter is better game progression wise than this.
2. Company talk shtick gets annoying really really really fast. I just heard maybe like 20 npcs and whenever they open their mouth and start to talk about their companies i want to strangle them.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Skills are in groups
This is only true until the individual skill hits level 50, then it must be raised independently. I actually like this system quite a bit - group similar skills and level them up at once. Your "skill points" go farther in the beginning of the game because 1 point = (up to three) +1 skills. Once a skill hits level 50, you can still level up the group but now you only get +2 to the things that are < 50.

If you were min/maxing the system, the ideal flow of points would be to raise everything up til it's as close to 50 as possible. In practice though, that makes your character a real turd that can't do much of anything well. It means you actually have to think about how and where you want to allocate skill points. Each individual trait only gives a small boost to something (per point) but compounds pretty quickly and has a noticeable difference even between a 10 point spread.

Is it a perfect system? Not by a long shot. Is it "seriously retarded"? I don't think so. It's neat.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Jesus Christ I'm not sure I'm going to make it through this game. The guns do no damage. What's the point of a shotgun that does less than 10% of a target's health at point blank? sniper rifles tickles the enemy. If you aren't using the exact element the enemy is weak to you're fucked, and fuck you if you rolled a character that can't carry 12 guns around.

Edit: Just figured it out. The reason you didn't have this issue in FO games...explosives. This game has no grenades, bombs or mines. In NV I'd go buy some dynamite right about now.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Machines are weak to shock

I think humans are weak to plasma

I have made a massive discovery.

There's some kind of WoW-type level fuckery with the damage calculation. Upgraded my gun, and suddenly it's doing a ton more damage against the enemy. Like, way beyond the additional damage from the upgrade. I think when you're shooting at something, the level of the gun can't be too far from the level of the enemy or you take damage penalties.

There's some kind of WoW-type level fuckery with the damage calculation. Upgraded my gun, and suddenly it's doing a ton more damage against the enemy. Like, way beyond the additional damage from the upgrade. I think when you're shooting at something, the level of the gun can't be too far from the level of the enemy or you take damage penalties.
When I figured out I could tinker with the weapons and level them up, I had a much easier time. The mods are nice additions, but they never changed much for me. I think you really need to level up the weapons you’re using to stay competitive.

Where can I find more inhalers? I’ve had zero for awhile now and have been relying on eating food for health.
I just looted everything I came across and ended up with a huge stash. I have 116 at this point, and I use them less and less each level. Are you searching the game world for containers and being sure to loot bodies?

HotPocket69

Banned
I just looted everything I came across and ended up with a huge stash. I have 116 at this point, and I use them less and less each level. Are you searching the game world for containers and being sure to loot bodies?

Yup I’m searching every NOOK & CRANNY and looting every body like crazy

Teslerum

Saw your first post, left and I just wanted to answer you. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm not surprised though that this isn't common knowledge/wasn't mentioned in reviews, if you upgrade your gun regulary/swap em' for higher levels its not that noticable. And in general most would probably go *Huh, bulletsponges*. That said, this is a mechanic the game should really take note of. Up to that point the number just seems like a miniguide for how good weapons are.

Hopefully someone figures out damage calculation for enemies soon.

Last edited:
So, what are everyone’s thoughts on the perk system? I’m really struggling to care about most of these perks. They’re so mediocre. I mean, companion damage is nice, increased weight is convenient, but there’s nothing exciting. I really wish The Outer Worlds had more Fallout-ish perks. Leveling up in this game isn’t really exciting, and it feels underwhelming to me. Am I missing something?

Lanrutcon

So, what are everyone’s thoughts on the perk system? I’m really struggling to care about most of these perks. They’re so mediocre. I mean, companion damage is nice, increased weight is convenient, but there’s nothing exciting. I really wish The Outer Worlds had more Fallout-ish perks. Leveling up in this game isn’t really exciting, and it feels underwhelming to me. Am I missing something?

Without perks my no-Strength character would be fucked. Thank God for carrying capacity perks.

I also picked up a phobia?

Teslerum

You can break the shit out of this game with some of these perks. But, yeah. On the whole it's a shame it has mostly modifier perks and nothing outlandish. Something I hope they rectify. Lots of missed opportunity too considering the setting.

(That said, late game Fallout has the same problem. At least with me I usually take the more outlandish perks during the first few opportunities.)

Last edited:

Isa

Just finished that part. Sided with Edgewater because Reed had an actual point while the botanist just couldn't let go of a grudge.
That's how I felt about it too, plus like some others here the Ol' Lady came off a bit weird and too me, arrogant and self aggrandized. Reed may have been wrong on a few points but never really struck me as full of himself. He genuinely believed he was doing his best for the town and I ended up having him step down and Adelaide or whatever her name was take over. What surprised me even further is how well he took it, gracefully even, whereas that lady was emotional, it was all about HER, and frequently slipping insults to me. Not once do I recall Reed ever insulting me. I honestly regretted putting her in charge.

Seriously loving the game, really hard to put down. I had to force myself to go to bed. It'll be one of the few games I replay that's for certain. It took me 10+hrs to leave the first planet, and now I'm 13 hrs in.

Teslerum

2nd post on this since I was reminded of something that's good about the system. Skills. More specfically the perks associated with getting them to a certain threshold. That's actually a really nice idea instead of just pumping a massive number up,

Last edited:

spons

Seriously I can’t find any inhalers. The Edgewater vending machines don’t even sell them 🤣

😬
Are you looking for the correct item? It's called Adreno and it's all over the place, I had about 40 just off of the Vale. You need to insert one into the first consumable slot.

Top Bottom