• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds |OT| Fully Automated Hysterical Killer Galactic Capitalism

spons

Gold Member
So on Normal the game is turning out to be too easy - can I bump it up even though I’ve already started?
Only to hard through settings, then gameplay options. Unless you haven't upgraded your weapons, it'll still be quite easy. You can overpower yourself fast in this game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For me its pretty much exactly the type of speech that'd (be) popularize(d) in the setting. There's writing quality differences of course and some lines that are a bit too much of a refrence, but the style is pretty close.

The power of indoctrination.

I felt the same way as you while I was in Edgewater, but as soon as I started going to the other areas, the dialogue started to bother me a bit.

BTW: There's a mod for supernova that reactivates saving and fast travel. IMO, prefered way to play the game.

Ooh, that sounds like the way to go. Is it possible to change difficulty mid-game? It's just insanely easy on Normal.

edit: oops, answered above already. Looks like only switching to Hard is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
BTW: There's a mod for supernova that reactivates saving and fast travel. IMO, prefered way to play the game.

Wish I could use that on Xbox because those are the 2 tedious reasons I won't do Supernova. Definitely would like more challenging combat than what you get in Hard.

scalman

im sure you are only running from one quest marker to another without really exploring the world and without reading the texts..........
oh no far from it , i did so much random exploring at first game areas then after 3 hrs i got missions for those places that i allready cleaned before, and those mission objectives where allready dead , so i just needed to run there and collect stuff from dead bodies. so if you do some too much exploring too early you just made game worse . And they still going with those missions : ohh omg we waited for you to help us shoot bad guys .. you go shoot 5 enemies , mission done ..i mean WHUT ? was that so hard for your army to do , so you just waited until some random dude come to help you with that ?

Shai-Tan

Banned
I felt the same way as you while I was in Edgewater, but as soon as I started going to the other areas, the dialogue started to bother me a bit.

I think it has the same problem as Bioshock Infinite translating the high concept themes into dialogue. They did a decent job in Edgewater but right from the point I heard the cringy attempts at satire in the second area "we interrupt your regularly scheduled commercial" it was all downhill from there. I wouldn't blame it all on bad writing assuming they had to compress various characters and storylines to shrink the zones and quest lines but it's embarassing compared to any well written tv show. Big rpg games are supposed to have room to flesh out the setting and yet the ambitious ones always end up being more like a theme park ride with cardboard cutout characters.

Grinchy

Banned
There is a perk called "The Collector" (tier 2) that highlights dead bodies and other lootable containers at a greater distance.

Oh damn. That sounds like a goodie. I haven't put together 5 perks yet to get to tier 2 but I'll be looking for that one.

I haven't taken any of those Flaw deals yet. Maybe I should have!

Grinchy

Banned
I also discovered last night (and how did it take me that long??) that the game autosaves every time you enter and exit a building that has to load. So, for Supernova, you don't really have to warp back to your ship a million times to save and walk back out to the quests as long as you know of any nearby building that causes a load screen.

Reactions: Isa
On my second playthrough, I've been playing completely solo. It's more difficult than I thought it would be. The companions really make a difference. Their skill stacking is super helpful in the early game. I'm spread thin on dialog and tech, and my combat skills are still whatever they were at level 1. At least this'll feel much different than the first playthough.

Lanrutcon

how many hours?

24 hours. I was thorough, but skipped:
- All Board friendly paths (I chose to oppose them always)
- Some red haired drunk woman who I think was a companion. Never recruited her, so I never got her companion quest.
- Last bit of the game was very combat heavy cause my reputation with the Board was 100% negative. They shot on sight, so I did too.

Azaroth

Question on flaws. When one becomes available, do you have to decide right then and there to take it, or does that just open up the option to accept it whenever you want?

Grinchy

Banned
On my second playthrough, I've been playing completely solo. It's more difficult than I thought it would be. The companions really make a difference. Their skill stacking is super helpful in the early game. I'm spread thin on dialog and tech, and my combat skills are still whatever they were at level 1. At least this'll feel much different than the first playthough.
Damn, I forgot about the Companion bonuses. I played with Parvati for about an hour. I had to keep restarting encounters because of how fast she was dying so I just let her die. I haven't taken anyone out with me since. I did pick the perk that gives you a bonus for playing solo, though.

Lanrutcon

Question on flaws. When one becomes available, do you have to decide right then and there to take it, or does that just open up the option to accept it whenever you want?

Then and there.

No idea of you can re-trigger their conditions to open up the offer again. I only saw 3 during my playthroughs: got mauled by dogs a lot, so I got offered a phobia. Got into fights with corporate security a lot, so got offered a hatred of cops. Got concussed a lot, so got offered a permanent concussion.

• LOL

Azaroth

Then and there.

No idea of you can re-trigger their conditions to open up the offer again. I only saw 3 during my playthroughs: got mauled by dogs a lot, so I got offered a phobia. Got into fights with corporate security a lot, so got offered a hatred of cops. Got concussed a lot, so got offered a permanent concussion.
Got it, thanks for responding.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Everyone down on the flaws system and I totally get it BUT

You want a game like this to have a somewhat random build trajectory. In the actual "role playing" sense, maybe you have a character that's deathly afraid of fire and that's why fire does more damage to them. Either way, I like how the flaw system kinda pops up out of nowhere and is like "you get this bad thing, but you also get an extra perk which is a good thing" - especially since perks are a limited resource (even if they're not all particularly interesting). Trading +25% plasma damage for +50kg carry capacity isn't a particularly interesting tradeoff, but having access to the next tier of perks 2 or more levels before you would have otherwise is kind of a big deal.

Plus, there's an achievement for having three flaws on the same character, which I think is kinda rad.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How has everyone been enjoying it so far? I plan on finally playing this tonight.
Been really digging it, but taking my time. In a few days I'll have some time off work to probably finish it. I'm at 12 hours of play time but I feel like I'm not quite half way through yet. Could be wrong, based on everyone else's play times but I want to stay in the dark. The "you're now a space outlaw" thing is really drawing me in. It's one of my personal fantasies to live the Han Solo lifestyle and this game more or less delivers on the premise.

The stat and perk systems, along with the writing, seem to be the game's biggest points of contention. The humor has been pretty hit and miss as some people really dig it and some people really don't. The game doesn't seem to have any huge amount of bugs or technical issues which is nice to see in this day and age. The chicks in the game all look like lesbians erm I mean "non traditional females" but personally I'm not bothered by that. The writing (especially a few of the companion quests) have a hefty dose of SJW pandering which I'm finding off-putting but it's thankfully not prevalent enough to put me off of playing it.

I'll wait until I've finished playing through it to reserve final judgement, but it's definitely one of only a few games this year that's absolutely sucked me and has consumed a lot of my non-gaming-playtime thoughts.

So I fucked myself in kind of an interesting way that I’m going to have to worm my way out of.

All those scientists that Gladys wanted their info/projects from in Roseway, I didn’t give to her. I ended up siding and helping the scientists instead. Now, I need the 10 grand to get the nav key to Stellar Bay and another (optional)
8k to get the ball rolling on turning in Phineas.

No idea how I’m gonna get that kind of scratch. I can’t persuade the old lady to part with the key either.

I did everything I could on Scyllus (which was only a couple quests) and now I’m on Monarch getting my ass kicked by that Mantis Queen. Hopefully I can scrape this cash together. I need about 9,500.

I have over 8k bits. I want that grand total. My persuasion is at 67 so I have no issues being a coaxing, manipulative bastard and getting higher rewards.

Im hoping that exploring and doing a bunch of stuff around Monarch will get me the dough I need.

Seriously? Are you blowing your money on tinkering or something? I didn't tinker until through the first 2 or 3 areas and I had about $20k on hand at any given time. Didn't hardly sell anything either - mostly broke down old or excess equipment.

20 hours in, I'm enjoying this game very much. The dialogue is really strong so it made sense to go with a verbally focused character. Guns and words, equally powerful depending on circumstance. I'm steering away from the rebels and going pro-corporate. The rebels and indie factions are whiny little weasels with monstrous morals that far exceed in extremity anything the corporations do.

Take the first landing site as an example.
It turns out the hippie corpse composting lady made for a more effective corporate beaurocrat than the corporation's own assignment. The guy even moved along kindly to let her take over when I told him of her efficient soil nutrification depravities.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Seriously? Are you blowing your money on tinkering or something? I didn't tinker until through the first 2 or 3 areas and I had about $20k on hand at any given time. Didn't hardly sell anything either - mostly broke down old or excess equipment.

Buying mods mostly

I had 15k on Groundbreaker at one point early on

Grinchy

Banned
I think the game might actually be way too easy. Even on Supernova, I feel so overpowered already. Just wearing light armor, I can take out every living body in the Groundbreaker and barely even have to heal myself during the encounters.

I guess being on PC and having mouse controls probably makes that easier, but the way I've specced guns just seems almost overpowered. Lots of one shot kills. And it felt that way as early as like level 7 or 8. Now I'm gonna be on Monarch soon and I'll see if the enemies get some kind of buff, but if they don't then it'd be a shame.

I don't even bother using any medical items that boost stats at any point. It's not needed. I just do so much damage anyway.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm mostly enjoying the game for what it is, but the combat is definitely way too easy on Normal and I doubt it would get too much harder on the higher difficulties. I'm level 18 and just obliterating entire towns at this point.

Also, there are way too many consumables with effects that last a few seconds to a minute or something. There are seriously dozens of different effect combinations, some with downsides that it's all just a bit bewildering and feels rather pointless. Does anyone use any of this junk?

20 hours in, I'm enjoying this game very much. The dialogue is really strong so it made sense to go with a verbally focused character. Guns and words, equally powerful depending on circumstance. I'm steering away from the rebels and going pro-corporate. The rebels and indie factions are whiny little weasels with monstrous morals that far exceed in extremity anything the corporations do.

Take the first landing site as an example.
It turns out the hippie corpse composting lady made for a more effective corporate beaurocrat than the corporation's own assignment. The guy even moved along kindly to let her take over when I told him of her efficient soil nutrification depravities.

Yeah, it really does seem to make the rebel factions out to be ideological crazies. Honestly, most NPCs you encounter seem to kind of just suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm mostly enjoying the game for what it is, but the combat is definitely way too easy on Normal and I doubt it would get too much harder on the higher difficulties. I'm level 18 and just obliterating entire towns at this point.

Also, there are way too many consumables with effects that last a few seconds to a minute or something. There are seriously dozens of different effect combinations, some with downsides that it's all just a bit bewildering and feels rather pointless. Does anyone use any of this junk?

Yeah, it really does seem to make the rebel factions out to be ideological crazies. Honestly, most NPCs you encounter seem to kind of just suck.

Well, you'd expect rebels to be acting like angsty, entitled teenagers. 'No taxation without representation!' Well the British living in London didn't have representation either, what makes you so special, colonial? etc. Ideological Rebels are assholes by nature. They're rebelling against their parents basically.

Last edited:
After starting out on a high, about 7-10 hours in i'm growing a little weary of what the game is actually offering. It's actually a very shallow experience and most of the things you pick up or come across are worthless, much of the perks aren't very interesting and combat is just a little boring. I really enjoy the writing and the voice acting is fairly decent, the game itself is just a bit dull. I'd maybe have taken time to just explore the world and take a break, but there isn't anything to explore either.

I should maybe restart the game on Hard or something, just to make it mildly interesting. Having read some comments above and on other sites, i'm starting to think Normal may actually just be a walk in the park.

Dontero

Banned
Doing the Groundbreaker and i am appalled by writing. I hoped that after i will go off from starting location writing will pick up but nope... Everyone pretty much behaves like retard.

I expected much more from Obsidian but i guess i shouldn't expect anything more after Pillars which has same type of sterile boring writing. I also hoped that this company shtick would come off after a while but nope every character characterization commits sepuku when they open their mouths and start to talk about company that or company this.

I think the most atrocious was board guy who hold mu ship. Going to him i was expecting that i would have real trouble, i basically removed company head from one of colonies and replaced him with someone else. But no, it turns out this is just a prank bro. In fact when i informed dude about previous captain death he just leaved completely that and moved on like nothing happened and yet 5 seconds earlier he was talking about previous captain being his agent effectively.

Next one. I am supposed to recovers parts for engineering from below decks. Captain of ship specifically talks about how those people there are remnants of original marines and "it would be great if you wouldn't kill them" but then you go there and head of them is literal psycho who just starts a fight i mopped floor with everyone. OK, maybe i fucked it up no ? Good i go back and captain doesn't even care.

There are choices sure. But there are exactly 0 consequences for your actions. Everything feels sterile. Like you play observer rather than taking part in something. This has nothing to do with lack of predetermined character. IT has everything to do with writing quality. Bloodlines is like several levels above this mediacority. Even Fallout 3 writing is better and Betheda can't write for shit. FNV is godlike compared to this.

I am shocked that bunch of Russian first timers like Owlcat games can completely anihilate obsidian on writing part.

Irony is that The Other Worlds does indeed feel like safe focus tested game that might be working without bugs but there is nothing special about it. So game theme matches actual game i suppose.

I feel like this is some sort of Fallout vault but instead of one short 1 hour quest someone made game out of it.

-------------------
-------------------

Gameplay is whole other can of worms. I already said whole stat system is retarded but i didn't know back then it completely doesn't matter to begin with. I tinkered my plasma rifle few times installed 2 mods and now everything metls in one charged shot or two. (playing on hard atm)

Location damage ? Nope. That is reserved only for that time slowdown garbage that barely works. Either way doesn't matter as everything just melts down.

Gore system is total joke. People get blown to bits and there is 0 blood like some sort of safe product for kids on chinese market.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

I mostly agree with Dontero Dontero . It's too derivative for me to enjoy. There are choices, but my actions are inconsequential for the player character. The setting feels calculated and a safe bet instead of a sign creativity. Non-player characters are too cartoony and wacky for me to form any sort of affection to them. I started resolving quests in the most direct, often violent, way. The game lets be be a space asshole and get away with it. I became one only because I didn't care.

Gameplay-wise it's Bioshock: Infinite as it should have been. It beats FO4 with a superior xp (flaws, perks and skills) system. The shooty bits are fine, but the FPS aspect is mostly wasted bc of limited interactivity. Picking up loot feels like a chore. If all the extra loot lying around could be stuffed into containers, I'd be happy to play this in 3rd person. It almost succeeds as a cutesy Mass Effect -lite. I can't recommend this weird kotor-me-bioshock-fo:nv hybrid over its ancestors.

Last edited:

Helios

I think the most atrocious was board guy who hold mu ship. Going to him i was expecting that i would have real trouble, i basically removed company head from one of colonies and replaced him with
someone else. But no, it turns out this is just a prank bro. In fact when i informed dude about previous captain death he just leaved completely that and moved on like nothing happened and yet 5 seconds earlier he was talking about previous captain being his agent effectively.
The guy wanted the location to the scientist's lab. That's why he was very friendly to Hawkthrone (you can read the messages at your terminal) and than tried to use that angle on you in order make you pity him and give him the information.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Doing the Groundbreaker and i am appalled by writing. I hoped that after i will go off from starting location writing will pick up but nope... Everyone pretty much behaves like retard.

I expected much more from Obsidian but i guess i shouldn't expect anything more after Pillars which has same type of sterile boring writing. I also hoped that this company shtick would come off after a while but nope every character characterization commits sepuku when they open their mouths and start to talk about company that or company this.

I think the most atrocious was board guy who hold mu ship. Going to him i was expecting that i would have real trouble, i basically removed company head from one of colonies and replaced him with someone else. But no, it turns out this is just a prank bro. In fact when i informed dude about previous captain death he just leaved completely that and moved on like nothing happened and yet 5 seconds earlier he was talking about previous captain being his agent effectively.

Next one. I am supposed to recovers parts for engineering from below decks. Captain of ship specifically talks about how those people there are remnants of original marines and "it would be great if you wouldn't kill them" but then you go there and head of them is literal psycho who just starts a fight i mopped floor with everyone. OK, maybe i fucked it up no ? Good i go back and captain doesn't even care.

There are choices sure. But there are exactly 0 consequences for your actions. Everything feels sterile. Like you play observer rather than taking part in something. This has nothing to do with lack of predetermined character. IT has everything to do with writing quality. Bloodlines is like several levels above this mediacority. Even Fallout 3 writing is better and Betheda can't write for shit. FNV is godlike compared to this.

I am shocked that bunch of Russian first timers like Owlcat games can completely anihilate obsidian on writing part.

Irony is that The Other Worlds does indeed feel like safe focus tested game that might be working without bugs but there is nothing special about it. So game theme matches actual game i suppose.

I feel like this is some sort of Fallout vault but instead of one short 1 hour quest someone made game out of it.

-------------------
-------------------

Gameplay is whole other can of worms. I already said whole stat system is retarded but i didn't know back then it completely doesn't matter to begin with. I tinkered my plasma rifle few times installed 2 mods and now everything metls in one charged shot or two. (playing on hard atm)

Location damage ? Nope. That is reserved only for that time slowdown garbage that barely works. Either way doesn't matter as everything just melts down.

Gore system is total joke. People get blown to bits and there is 0 blood like some sort of safe product for kids on chinese market.

I'm still having fun and plan to play it to completion, but yeah, hard to disagree with any of this.

Dontero

Banned
The guy wanted the location to the scientist's lab. That's why he was very friendly to Hawkthrone (you can read the messages at your terminal) and than tried to use that angle on you in order make you pity him and give him the information.

I know that. That is not the part i have trouble with. The part i have trouble with is how exactly my character who clearly stole ship is not red flag for this guy.

thuGG_pl

How to use companions special abilities? I have it assigned to C and V keys, but they are greyed out all the time and nothing happens when pressed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How to use companions special abilities? I have it assigned to C and V keys, but they are greyed out all the time and nothing happens when pressed.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think this ever gets explained very well. I mean, you're told which button to press to trigger abilities, but never really what they do or why you might want to use them.

On Normal difficulty at least, it's completely inconsequential, though. Your companions are pretty meaningless, not to mention brain-dead stupid (running through environment hazards all the time, etc.).

I know that. That is not the part i have trouble with. The part i have trouble with is how exactly my character who clearly stole ship is not red flag for this guy.
You're not wrong. I'm playing through the game a second time, and I'm surprised at how little variation there is between the responses. I'm not as down on it as you are, though, as I'm still enjoying the game and the world. I want to be clear: I really like The Outer Worlds, and I'm having a good time with the game.

That being said, I did expect more from Obsidian. I guess I didn't realize how constrained they were with budget on this game. I wanted another New Vegas-sized game; with all the side quests, locations, items, and play styles that come along with that size of a game. The Outer Worlds is actually small in a number of ways. There really aren't many play styles to the game. You're either melee or ranged. There's not enough weapons to specialize in one sub-type of either, and even if there were five times as many weapons, the stat system doesn't support that. Which leads to another area that feels small. The stat system isn't deep enough to really allow for any roleplaying. You can't really be a cocky gunslinger, or a genius thief. The skills can get you past some obstacles, or get you a couple extra items, but they don't change the way your character interacts with the world. You can hack a terminal, or steal a keycard, or talk your way past a guard, but it doesn't fundamentally change the experience in any way. As I said before, I'm on my second playthrough, and without companions I miss out on a lot of skill checks. The surprising thing was that it didn't really matter. I still went to the same areas, and collected the same items. It's not like I could use my vast engineering skill to fix the Groundbreaker without having to do the associated quests. I couldn't solve any of the more science-based quests on Terra 2 with my science skill. I might be able to squeeze out a few extra rewards, but that's not really meaningful. The level design in most areas is very good about giving you multiple options. You can sneak through a duct, or hack a terminal to force the robots to go dormant. You can blast through everything, or lock pick your way past some guards. It doesn't really change the length or difficulty though. Most quest items are still behind barred doors, and you still need to go through the same areas to get to them.

I think Obsidian has a very good, solid blueprint to build up and improve upon, but I really hope they get the budget and time to vastly increase the scope of the game. People compare this to Fallout and say Bethesda is doomed, but they're missing the size and scope and variety that Bethesda brings to their games. The Outer Worlds is fantastic, in general, but it's closer to the size of one of Fallout 4's DLCs, than Fallout 4 itself. To be frank, it puts into focus how much content Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Oblivion have packed into them.

Dontero

Banned
Honestly speaking i don't think they have good foundation.
I think theme of the game is directly hurting game.

Game completely depends on everyone being absolute moron to exist. Every company in there and characters who run them are bunch of idiots who don't know what they are doing. All feels like a joke which runs dry after you hear it 15 time.

Honestly speaking i had to agree with ADA. Killing everyone at first planet would be mercykilling, because when you will go away they will all die because they will forget to breathe or something.

Isn't that pretty much the case with most video games these days, where hard is like normal, normal = easy and easy is for people that never played a game before or 'just wanna enjoy the story'.

It is true that most of games now are very easy but Outer Worlds take it to new level when you can get plasma rifle tinker it 2-3 times and kill almost everything in 2-3 shots on HARD.

Last edited:

DedEmbryonicCell

Neo Member
Honestly speaking i don't think they have good foundation.
I think theme of the game is directly hurting game.

Game completely depends on everyone being absolute moron to exist. Every company in there and characters who run them are bunch of idiots who don't know what they are doing. All feels like a joke which runs dry after you hear it 15 time.

Honestly speaking i had to agree with ADA. Killing everyone at first planet would be mercykilling, because when you will go away they will all die because they will forget to breathe or something.

It is true that most of games now are very easy but Outer Worlds take it to new level when you can get plasma rifle tinker it 2-3 times and kill almost everything in 2-3 shots on HARD.

You've described EXACTLY what difficulties should be .. playing on hard should not just make every enemy a bullet sponge .. that's a cheap way out ..

Difficulties should only pertain to the player and what happens to the player .. damage and HP to/for enemies should never change ..

Dory16

Banned
Just finished the initial Edgewater quest. Did anyone else manage to make everyone happy, the board, the rebels and still fetch the quest objective?
also I hear people complaining about how easy it is. Am I the only one who's died at least 10 times on Hard in Edgewater?

Dontero

Banned
You've described EXACTLY what difficulties should be .. playing on hard should not just make every enemy a bullet sponge .. that's a cheap way out ..

Difficulties should only pertain to the player and what happens to the player .. damage and HP to/for enemies should never change ..

I never said anything about bullet sponges. I said that killing everything in one changed shot makes everything incredibly easy, easpecially if this isn't Stalker and enemies can't kill you just as fast.

I also detest bullet sponges.

Just finished the initial Edgewater quest. Did anyone else manage to make everyone happy, the board, the rebels and still fetch the quest objective?
also I hear people complaining about how easy it is. Am I the only one who's died at least 10 times on Hard in Edgewater?

Depends on weapon. Take plasma rifle and everything just melts. The first gun is complete garbage that can't kill anything for shit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

In Edgewater, due to limited equipment and money, it's still possible to die in some encounters. Once you get enough money to tinker (basically spend a bit of money to double or triple a weapon's DPS) and get some decent gear, you'll be breezing through everything.

Top Bottom