• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds |OT| Fully Automated Hysterical Killer Galactic Capitalism

I’m still struggling a bit with my second playthrough on Supernova. Is this mode designed for lone wolf builds? Keeping companions alive seems almost impossible unless I’m missing something. I’m pouring all my points into leadership and medical

Reactions: Isa

Otterz4Life

Outer Worlds is overrated just like Death Stranding.

Its not a game for everyone, rite guys?

Althrough I did see people who hated FO4 and loved OW
Cry moar.

OW didnt have a quarter if the hype (or budget) of the latest Kojima masturbation.

Finished up some things on the Groundbreaker and just got to Roseway.

Game is really hitting now.

The Outer Worlds shits all over Fallout 4.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Still plugging away it (11 hours in), but my interest has largely faded. Just too many small niggling things that add up to make me kind of uninterested. I think I'm nearing the end, so I'll see it through, but it's extremely puzzling how this is getting such high reviews. Every system in the game is broken or inconsequential. They put in a whole lot of stuff, but made none of it matter in either gameplay or in how the story plays out, so it just feels extremely shallow. In that sense, enjoyment is going to come down entirely to how much you like the story, characters, and writing. I had my fill of space snark with the first Borderlands, so I'm honestly not all that into it, and the companions I've got all seem really bland, except for maybe Parvati... maybe?

I just had to shake my head at a section I played last night. After aggroing some stuff in a dungeon in Byzantium, I shot my way out and ended up kill-on-sight with The Board faction. I slaughtered the entire town, basically, and went on to progress with the main story only to get a hailing signal from some higher up general lady on The Board. She knew I was in cahoots with the crazy scientist and wanted me to upload something to his computer terminal so they could track him down... First, I just slaughtered their crown jewel city and she wants my help? What? Second, why wouldn't she just track my ship if she can so easily find me and knows I'm going to visit the scientist dude? Weird stuff... Anyway, I progress a bit with her quest and the next thing she wants to do, supposedly in order to "save Halcyon" is to kill the people I installed in the first town because they are dissidents. It just makes zero sense. I ended up blasting her head off, but it's just some dumb ass writing.

Grinchy

Banned
I’m still struggling a bit with my second playthrough on Supernova. Is this mode designed for lone wolf builds? Keeping companions alive seems almost impossible unless I’m missing something. I’m pouring all my points into leadership and medical
Parvati died within a couple hours for me. It was after a bunch of reloads to keep her alive on different missions.

After that I just started purposely letting every new companion die right away so I dont have to get a party select screen. Yeah, companions are worthless on Supernova.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Parvati died within a couple hours for me. It was after a bunch of reloads to keep her alive on different missions.

After that I just started purposely letting every new companion die right away so I dont have to get a party select screen. Yeah, companions are worthless on Supernova.

They barely do anything on normal other than get killed in big fights, so I can't imagine they are anything but a headache on Supernova.

Nydius

They barely do anything on normal other than get killed in big fights, so I can't imagine they are anything but a headache on Supernova.

You can kinda-sorta keep them alive if you outfit them all in heavy armor and good ranged weapons then set them to only engage at range. But even with those changes and spending a fair bit in leadership you'll be reloading saves a lot to keep them around.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You can kinda-sorta keep them alive if you outfit them all in heavy armor and good ranged weapons then set them to only engage at range. But even with those changes and spending a fair bit in leadership you'll be reloading saves a lot to keep them around.

And it's pointless, because they suck and contribute almost nothing. Even with 1200 DPS weapons and 70+ armor equipment, they just get rolled over in big encounters and fail to take out enemies. It's not like they even could make much of a difference since, with the same weapons, I'm killing most enemies in less than 2 seconds.

Dane

Cry moar.

OW didnt have a quarter if the hype (or budget) of the latest Kojima masturbation.

Finished up some things on the Groundbreaker and just got to Roseway.

Game is really hitting now.

The Outer Worlds shits all over Fallout 4.

I've barely played those games, but maybe this is the "just good NV, better than FO3 and 4" as if it was the entry level to better ones.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished. Wow, that was rather abrupt, wasn't it? Had around 12 hours on the clock in the end. I was kind of expecting I was at a mid-way point and there would be some twist in the major showdown I was going into that led me to the remaining planets in the system, but I guess that was it.

I gotta say, the game was ultimately pretty lame. They did a good job with the presentation, but there's really just not much to the game. I didn't think these type of RPGs could get shallower than Fallout 4, but here we are. The combat they came up with is serviceable, but there really aren't any interesting encounters and the game balance completely breaks in your favor really early in the game. Enemy variety is extremely poor and using the time dilation system is pretty much pointless the vast majority of the time.

Also, Evilore pointed it out earlier, but it is kind of hilarious how all of the male characters in the game are both incompetent and pathetic excluding Phineas Welles and maybe Sanjar (MSI boss), sort of. Meanwhile, most of the women are extremely competent and top-notch scientists and engineers, but for some reason Phineas thought they needed to revive the brilliant minds of The Hope to survive? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but whatever, it honestly doesn't feel like a ton of thought was put into the overarching story.

Last edited by a moderator:

w92kp

Neo Member
The game turned out to be pretty mediocre in the end. When I think about it though, it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it failed for me so I'll just put up a list of things that bothered me.
  • Like others, I've noticed the disproportionate number of female characters in leadership positions. This made it difficult to suspend disbelief.
  • Equipment is levelled. Feels very artificial and game-y. No logical in-universe explanation for why a level 30 gun is that much more powerful than a level 1 gun.
  • Light/Heavy/Energy ammo system is convenient for sure, but again feels artificial.
  • Companions weren't very interesting. Finished Max's and Ellie's quest and was left underwhelmed so I didn't bother with the rest.
  • NPCs don't have a day/night schedule as far as I can tell. The world feels very static.
  • Writers were trying a little too hard in making this a quirky space adventure. Hard to take the game's main conflict seriously.
  • Skill checks in dialogue were just win buttons. I liked how there was that one dialogue option in Dead Money that caught everyone off guard because it wasn't just a win button. I was hoping to see more of that so you had to think about what you were saying and how the character you were speaking to might react.
  • Combat AI was very rudimentary. Once NPCs enter combat mode, they just beeline towards you, even when they shouldn't know your exact location. NPCs with ranged weapons felt like they had aimbots sometimes. Breaking out of cover for 1 millisecond was enough for them to start landing shots on you.
  • It's not known how Phineas managed to avoid capture for this long. His lab isn't exactly super stealthy. At the same time, the timing of his capture also feels like too much of a coincidence if you don't give away his location.
  • I don't think the writers put enough emphasis on the poor state of the colony. People are supposedly starving, but I'm not really feeling it. The second battle of Hoover Dam and the conflict between NCR/Legion/House was front and centre in New Vegas.
All of these issues built up to the point where I just stopped caring about the world not long after leaving the Groundbreaker. By the time I got to Byzantium I was just shooting everyone because I just wanted to get it over with. I'm thinking I might just be jaded, but I played Kingdom Come around the same time last year and that game really impressed me, so I don't think that's it.

There is one thing they got right though, and that's TTD. This is how VATS should have worked since Fallout 3.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Also, Evilore pointed it out earlier, but it is kind of hilarious how all of the male characters in the game are both incompetent and pathetic excluding Phineas Welles and maybe Sanjar (MSI boss), sort of. Meanwhile, most of the women are extremely competent and top-notch scientists and engineers, but for some reason Phineas thought they needed to revive the brilliant minds of The Hope to survive? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but whatever, it honestly doesn't feel like a ton of thought was put into the overarching story.
This guy was like the epitome of what EviLore EviLore was talking about though. He literally has a female companion next to him going "calm down sir" and "well you know what the board is going to think about that". I really got the impression that this guy was a fucking idiot and the only reason he was able to get to a position of power (as it is) because he had a female assistant that was cleaning up his fuck ups and keeping him on task.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
  • I don't think the writers put enough emphasis on the poor state of the colony. People are supposedly starving, but I'm not really feeling it. The second battle of Hoover Dam and the conflict between NCR/Legion/House was front and centre in New Vegas.

Yeah, the whole "actually the entire colony is on the verge of collapse and total starvation" is not shown to the player over the course of the game, well, at all... Compared to Fallout, most of the towns look like they're doing pretty damn good, actually. The whole crisis just pops up as a given near the end of the game and is rather unbelievable.

This guy was like the epitome of what EviLore EviLore was talking about though. He literally has a female companion next to him going "calm down sir" and "well you know what the board is going to think about that". I really got the impression that this guy was a fucking idiot and the only reason he was able to get to a position of power (as it is) because he had a female assistant that was cleaning up his fuck ups and keeping him on task.

There was definitely an aspect of that, which is why I kind of hedged my appraisal of him. Anyway, every other male NPC was just a bumbling incompetent fool, or completely crazy.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been trying to avoid the "SJW" stuff and only focus on talking about the more objective issues with the game, but it really is painfully obvious that every guy is a moron and every character that isn't a complete moron is a pixie-haired woman. If someone tells you that a character leads a group of any kind, you already know it's a short-haired woman.

Man I see a-lot of random complete times here. I really like to take my time and absorb everything I think it will take me around 35-40hrs

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've been trying to avoid the "SJW" stuff and only focus on talking about the more objective issues with the game, but it really is painfully obvious that every guy is a moron and every character that isn't a complete moron is a pixie-haired woman. If someone tells you that a character leads a group of any kind, you already know it's a short-haired woman.

Well... Junlei had long hair.

Man I see a-lot of random complete times here. I really like to take my time and absorb everything I think it will take me around 35-40hrs

Yeah, there are a lot of side quests that I just didn't do as I lost interest. If the world manages to suck you in, you could probably get over 40 hours out of a playthrough. I definitely recommend starting on Hard, though.

I think the first planet was by far the best part of the game. I think I spent around 5 ~ 6 hours there and I finished the game at 12ish hours, so it was half of play time.

I’ve noticed this too. Someone said they competed the game in about half the time it took me and they were on Supernova when I was on Hard. Guess it’s just one of those kinda games

Isa

Just finished it myself recently, at about 35+hrs. It was a fun time, especially during the beginning. The luster does indeed wear off and I feel that is largely the fault of the budget and thus overall potential scope. It has some stellar ideas, but I can't help but notice the inconsistencies in writing which in turn impacts the characters and story. In the beginning an npc noticed the gear I was wearing, cool. But it rarely if ever comes up again. I think better party characters, quests, and side stories, as most certainly rewards, enemy and loot variety would have helped to better the experience.

Its still a pretty good game in my mind, and I hope for better results in the future. There are many ideas that can and should be expanded upon. At times I couldn't help myself from thinking why isn't this game more like Bioshock or Dishonored? I think the more focused nature of those engines could have helped many of the more mundane aspects here, such as better stealth and combat, and perhaps a more streamlined experience to tell their story which could still offer variations as chosen by the player. I just feel that overall the experience could have been better served and felt less drawn out, as I too grew wary of it all, particularly all of the loading. I guess my hope is that for future titles they are given and better budget as well as being up to the task to really capitalize on the work and worlds they've created.

And finally I don't like being cock-teased by the other planets. I suspect they were scrapped or for future dlc, which would be nice.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just finished the game.

The Outer Worlds was... interesting. The beginning of the game, maybe the first 8 hours or so, was absolutely ace and I loved everything about it. The last half-ish of the game (it took me 21 hours to complete) really fell apart. There's a certain "I want to believe" aspect of the beginning of the game, where I was having so much fun that I didn't really notice the downsides like all the loot being basically worthless, and the difficulty being way too easy. Dialog choices matter, but ultimately... not really. There were some interesting characters, but it's obvious that whoever wrote the script really had a chip on their shoulders about men. All in all, I'd say this game was "OK".

Just finished. Wow, that was rather abrupt, wasn't it? Had around 12 hours on the clock in the end. I was kind of expecting I was at a mid-way point and there would be some twist in the major showdown I was going into that led me to the remaining planets in the system, but I guess that was it.

I gotta say, the game was ultimately pretty lame. They did a good job with the presentation, but there's really just not much to the game. I didn't think these type of RPGs could get shallower than Fallout 4, but here we are. The combat they came up with is serviceable, but there really aren't any interesting encounters and the game balance completely breaks in your favor really early in the game. Enemy variety is extremely poor and using the time dilation system is pretty much pointless the vast majority of the time.

Yeah, there are a lot of side quests that I just didn't do as I lost interest. If the world manages to suck you in, you could probably get over 40 hours out of a playthrough. I definitely recommend starting on Hard, though.

I think the first planet was by far the best part of the game. I think I spent around 5 ~ 6 hours there and I finished the game at 12ish hours, so it was half of play time.

The main story/quest is very underdeveloped and poorly written, and i don't think the companion side quests are good either; Vicar's quest had potential, but that led to a disappointing conclusion. Having them in your party is worth it though because the banter between them and the dialogue they produce throughout quests is decently written, allthough the quality of that ranges. And i'll assume the main quest is incredibly short judging from your playtime of 12 hours and from other people that have invested similar amounts.

I'm 21 hours into the game and have just finished the Monarch section and am on my way to Byzantium. I think it's unfortunate that you haven't spent more time on the side quests, though you have said that they didn't grab your attention and that is fair enough.

I have been spending time on side quests and completing the areas as i like to get the most out of the content of this game, and i have been pleased that most of them have been at least interesting to do. I wouldn't call the writing good, but some aspects of them are decent and provide further information for the characters and lead to satisfying conclusions and allow multiple choices for that satisfaction to appear. For example, the main quest involving the MSI (Sanjar) and the Iconoclasts (Graham) splits into a side quest that is also tied to another side quest (Zora's), and which offers multiple completion routes. I enjoyed that side quest. I don't want to spoil anything, but you don't have to side with any of them if you don't want to. Another interesting side-quest is Lilya Hagen's (Sublight faction), which may seem like an errand run at first, but it's more than that. I haven't completed it yet because i need to go to Byzantium for that, but the result of that which i won't spoil will lead to something i may not expect.

I completely agree that the first area is the best part of the game. Reed and Adelaide were memorable because the quest line involving them fleshed the characters a bit, i did not expect the subversion concerning them (Reed actually tried to do the best he could and thus demolishing that cartoony "bad guy because he's a corporate dog" persona, and Adelaide which i thought i would side with turned out to be bat shit insane in comparison to Reed). It wasn't great writing, but it was definitely decent.

BigBooper

I had something funny happen with the Iconoclasts. I had enough of the story, so I just decided I would kill everyone for a while. I had the quest to bring back the mommas boy who'd run off to join the Iconoclasts and I convinced him to go talk to his momma. When he left, I wiped out the Iconoclasts. I went back to his mother and they were on the front porch talking. He was highlighted as an enemy, but I was able to finish the mom's questline. Then I blew him away. She kept sitting there thanking me for bringing her son home, and no one reacted to the execution at all. Then I uninstalled it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I had something funny happen with the Iconoclasts. I had enough of the story, so I just decided I would kill everyone for a while. I had the quest to bring back the mommas boy who'd run off to join the Iconoclasts and I convinced him to go talk to his momma. When he left, I wiped out the Iconoclasts. I went back to his mother and they were on the front porch talking. He was highlighted as an enemy, but I was able to finish the mom's questline. Then I blew him away. She kept sitting there thanking me for bringing her son home, and no one reacted to the execution at all. Then I uninstalled it.

Sounds about right. I had killed the Iconoclasts through one of the main story quests before ever talking to Sanjar of MSI and despite them being his top rivals on the planet and their living just down the street a bit, he had no idea of what had happened and still talked as if they were a big thorn in his side or something.

bender

What time is it?
Just finished. While the shooting mechanics are solid, the experienced is dragged down by the limited loot, lack of enemy variety and dull encounter design. How you distribute skill points is a neat idea and I really like the idea of flaws, but the Perk system seemed uninteresting, so much so that I finished the game with unused perk points. Outside of a few companions, I didn't really care for any of the characters or the story beats as a whole. Maybe I've just outgrown this style of writing. My excitement for the game took a nose dive half way through the Monarch quest lines. I went from wanting to do everything to wanting to see the credits ASAP. Speaking of credits, I'm really not a fan of the narrated slideshow approach to given these style of games an obscene number of endings. I hit the level cap without seeing a few of the planets so I'm sure I missed out on some side content though I'm not sure you can visit all of the planets as some are listed as uninhibited. That's probably for the best as I started to grow tired of the load times as I was fast traveling more to get to the finish line.

Roufianos

Picked it back up after initially giving up on it. Definitely growning on me but I'm still really struggling to give a shit about any of the characters or storyline.

Also, I made a character but somehow ended up as a short haired black woman, does that make me woke?

I have to make a confession. At first, I saw the negative opinions in this thread and I thought you were a bunch of naysayers possibly paid off by Bethesda Spacer's Choice to drag down the hype around this game. Well, I'm now around 14h, just finished Monarch and beat all the sidequests I've found, and I have to say this:

You were right. Warning: long, uninteresting rant.

I can see how this game got such glowing reviews. TOW has a shining, fantastic initial 2-3 hours where everything is new and promising. Ooh, stat points! CHOICES BASED ON STAT POINTS! Ooh, I have to decide between two factions! And this choice has actual, factual consequences!. Then after Emerald Vale you get to the Groundbreaker and it's hard not to let out a small "ooh" when you get to the hangars and see the shiny lights and find the guy with the moon hat. That's the high point of the game and then it's all the way down. That's when you realize that instead of a new Fallout, this is actually a dry, unintentional parody of Mass Effect, with some Borderlands-like systems.

Firstly, stat-based choices are mostly inconsequential. I think they only accelerate the development of some questlines. If Fallout 4 was "A - Yes, B - No, X - Yes (sarcastic) and Y - Talk to you later", then TOW is:

"1) Open the door
2) [Intelligence] You should let us in, you need help with the radis!
3) [Medicine] You are probably dehydrated; open the door and we'll give you supplies
4) [Intimidation] Open the door before I kick it down, asshole"

This extends to the skills that directly affect combat. There's actually quite a bit of weapon variety, but once you get a couple strong Plasma weapons that you can tinker with, you are not going to use anything else apart from maybe the Prismatic Hammer for the lols. This also applies to the perks: in Fallout, they were fun and helped you build your character: you could be a Lady Killer, an unlucky person or somebody who found the weirdest shit in the desert. Here, you get +10 to damage, +100 to load or +25% to time dilation. Woo fucking hoo.

The storytelling also works like this. There's a lot of illusion of choice, but apart from Emerald Vale, nothing you do seems to do much. The factions are there to look pretty in your journal and give you some absolutely useless discounts. The questline-related choices boil down to either help the heroic space anarchists fight the evil evil space corporations, or be a tool for the system. There's no gray areas, and it's pretty obvious what the game wants you to do. I feel there will only be a "winning" scenario at the end and if you deviate from this the game will call you out on being an asshole corporative shill.

It's hard to be heroic in this game, though, because I couldn't care less about the NPCs. Save for a couple exceptions (like Parvati or Max) they don't seem to have a "voice" of their own. After a decade, I still remember Vulpes Inculta, Benny, Caesar, or Mr. House. Hell, I remember Piper, Curie, Dez, Hancock and Deacon. I have no fucking idea of the names of most of the NPCs of this game. When I think about it, I can only think "gruff but reasonable, a tad sarcastic, more than a tad condescending, frontierwoman". Think about Fire Emblem Three Houses - close your eyes and imagine Edelgard, or Rhea, or Judith, or Leonie. They all have an unique voice. I can't tell Zora apart from Nyoka or the Groundbreaker engineer lady or the Mercenary Leader lady. They're all the same fucking character with an extra trait (alcoholism? lesbianism? being the level-headed companion of an angrier NPC?) clumsily added on top like parmesan cheese.

Because all the fucking faction leaders, all the fucking questgivers, all the fucking NPCs that matter, are tough, down-to-earth, warrior genius women. Really. If you see a male NPC, he's probably useless, sinister, inconsequential or comedic relief. Or all of them put together I dubbed their NPC creative process the "M.A.L.E System: if he's not a woman, he's either a Moron, overly Aggresive, Laughable or literally Evil". This is so blatant that I reject that it's an accident. It's either done on purpose from the get-go or a lot of those NPCs were white males at the beggining and were woke'd during development. They only skipped Rick Sanchez because it would be too on the nose. It's not only the fact that they're all women - but also the fact that they're al the fucking same character.

Am I salty? Hell fucking yes I am. I wanted a new Fallout New Vegas and I got Diet Mass Effect. I'm going to finish it because that's how I roll (and because it's shaping like a 20h game instead of the sprawling 80h epic I expected) but I'm so replaying all the fucking Fallouts after this.

Sorry for the wall of text - rant over.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have to make a confession. At first, I saw the negative opinions in this thread and I thought you were a bunch of naysayers possibly paid off by Bethesda Spacer's Choice to drag down the hype around this game. Well, I'm now around 14h, just finished Monarch and beat all the sidequests I've found, and I have to say this:

You were right. Warning: long, uninteresting rant.

I can see how this game got such glowing reviews. TOW has a shining, fantastic initial 2-3 hours where everything is new and promising. Ooh, stat points! CHOICES BASED ON STAT POINTS! Ooh, I have to decide between two factions! And this choice has actual, factual consequences!. Then after Emerald Vale you get to the Groundbreaker and it's hard not to let out a small "ooh" when you get to the hangars and see the shiny lights and find the guy with the moon hat. That's the high point of the game and then it's all the way down. That's when you realize that instead of a new Fallout, this is actually a dry, unintentional parody of Mass Effect, with some Borderlands-like systems.

Firstly, stat-based choices are mostly inconsequential. I think they only accelerate the development of some questlines. If Fallout 4 was "A - Yes, B - No, X - Yes (sarcastic) and Y - Talk to you later", then TOW is:

"1) Open the door
2) [Intelligence] You should let us in, you need help with the radis!
3) [Medicine] You are probably dehydrated; open the door and we'll give you supplies
4) [Intimidation] Open the door before I kick it down, asshole"

This extends to the skills that directly affect combat. There's actually quite a bit of weapon variety, but once you get a couple strong Plasma weapons that you can tinker with, you are not going to use anything else apart from maybe the Prismatic Hammer for the lols. This also applies to the perks: in Fallout, they were fun and helped you build your character: you could be a Lady Killer, an unlucky person or somebody who found the weirdest shit in the desert. Here, you get +10 to damage, +100 to load or +25% to time dilation. Woo fucking hoo.

The storytelling also works like this. There's a lot of illusion of choice, but apart from Emerald Vale, nothing you do seems to do much. The factions are there to look pretty in your journal and give you some absolutely useless discounts. The questline-related choices boil down to either help the heroic space anarchists fight the evil evil space corporations, or be a tool for the system. There's no gray areas, and it's pretty obvious what the game wants you to do. I feel there will only be a "winning" scenario at the end and if you deviate from this the game will call you out on being an asshole corporative shill.

It's hard to be heroic in this game, though, because I couldn't care less about the NPCs. Save for a couple exceptions (like Parvati or Max) they don't seem to have a "voice" of their own. After a decade, I still remember Vulpes Inculta, Benny, Caesar, or Mr. House. Hell, I remember Piper, Curie, Dez, Hancock and Deacon. I have no fucking idea of the names of most of the NPCs of this game. When I think about it, I can only think "gruff but reasonable, a tad sarcastic, more than a tad condescending, frontierwoman". Think about Fire Emblem Fates - close your eyes and imagine Edelgard, or Rhea, or Judith, or Leonie. They all have an unique voice. I can't tell Zora apart from Nyoka or the Groundbreaker engineer lady or the Mercenary Leader lady. They're all the same fucking character with an extra trait (alcoholism? lesbianism? being the level-headed companion of an angrier NPC?) clumsily added on top like parmesan cheese.

Because all the fucking faction leaders, all the fucking questgivers, all the fucking NPCs that matter, are tough, down-to-earth, warrior genius women. Really. If you see a male NPC, he's probably useless, sinister, inconsequential or comedic relief. Or all of them put together I dubbed their NPC creative process the "M.A.L.E System: if he's not a woman, he's either a Moron, overly Aggresive, Laughable or literally Evil". This is so blatant that I reject that it's an accident. It's either done on purpose from the get-go or a lot of those NPCs were white males at the beggining and were woke'd during development. They only skipped Rick Sanchez because it would be too on the nose. It's not only the fact that they're all women - but also the fact that they're al the fucking same character.

Am I salty? Hell fucking yes I am. I wanted a new Fallout New Vegas and I got Diet Mass Effect. I'm going to finish it because that's how I roll (and because it's shaping like a 20h game instead of the sprawling 80h epic I expected) but I'm so replaying all the fucking Fallouts after this.

Sorry for the wall of text - rant over.

Totally on point. It really is a shallow Mass Effect clone with Borderlands themes/writing/humor injected and only a veneer of Fallout-like systems, since they are actually completely inconsequential.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I’d describe it as a shit Mass Effect with Fallout memberberries. The Force Awakens to Fallout’s Star Wars. I’m currently giving New Vegas a play through instead.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah, I was going through the "Oh, shit, this isn't a better version of Fallout at all!" phase right before getting to Monarch. I had to really readjust my expectations of the game to continue playing it.

That strong initial few hours is very convincing. You really think you're playing this amazing take on the New Vegas formula and then it just all unravels.

Dane

Just to remember, most of Obsidian former devs on NV left the company.

And honestly, was even NV that good? Played it for 20 minutes and could see a dated game, and Obsidian was know for being responsible for the worst sequels. Its a one hit wonder studio, not even sure why Microsoft bought it when InXile sounds a much better studio with Wasteland 3.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just to remember, most of Obsidian former devs on NV left the company.

And honestly, was even NV that good? Played it for 20 minutes and could see a dated game, and Obsidian was know for being responsible for the worst sequels. Its a one hit wonder studio, not even sure why Microsoft bought it when InXile sounds a much better studio with Wasteland 3.

It was buggy at release, but I think it was a far better take on Fallout than anything Bethesda did. Lots of memorable characters and storylines.

Hinedorf

Banned
I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!!!!! I'm going pretty crazy 100% completion style but I think you need to in order to get the most out of this game

I'm 14 hours played, just got to Monarch, I've completed almost every sub quest prior to getting to Monarch. I'm level 15 with 100 Science skills.

I play with Max and Parvati who both have the first 2 melee science weapons and I use the shrink gun. I run around shrinking everything and let those 2 hit it like a standing pinata, it's very entertaining.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It was buggy at release, but I think it was a far better take on Fallout than anything Bethesda did. Lots of memorable characters and storylines.

I’m currently ball deep in New Vegas and you know what? It’s damn good. D Dane is right though that the Obsidian we have today is not the Obsidian of New Vegas. That ship has sailed.

Dane

I’m currently ball deep in New Vegas and you know what? It’s damn good. D Dane is right though that the Obsidian we have today is not the Obsidian of New Vegas. That ship has sailed.

Honestly, I don't care what the heck the studio is doing, could care less if their new game was a comedy FPSRPG rather than a serious one, as long it is good, its worth.

But the thing is, most of the studios doesn't retain the majority of the staff, and Obsidian was a studio that relied on licenses to keep alive because they were always on the verge of bankruptcy, ironically, the sequel to the very original IP that relieved them (Pillars of Eternity) failed commercially and they were again on the verge of bankruptcy, maybe that's why OW wasn't that good as critics say.

I see, but the thing is, NV is not underrated, maybe FO3 at the time was a bit overrated, but its visuals and gameplay didn't age well.

I see, but the thing is, NV is not underrated, maybe FO3 at the time was a bit overrated, but its visuals and gameplay didn't age well.

Technically they're outdated, and the combat mechanics were never good to begin with in 2008 and that hasn't changed. What makes Fallout: New Vegas worth playing today, unlike Fallout 3, (besides that it does improve on the mechanics in Fallout 3) is that the quest design (main quests/side quests) and overall writing (characters, story, lore, world building) is genuinely great, which is something very rare to find in a video game and worth pursuing by being lenient towards its shortcomings and adapting to them. The role playing mechanics are very well designed and malleable, making replayability remarkably something that is one of the most brilliant aspects of Fallout: New Vegas. Basically there's an incredible amount of depth and creativity poured into this video game that is impossible to notice at a first glance, which makes it very satisfying to peel one layer at a time.

The overwhelming mod support can significantly alleviate the shortcomings of the mechanics by applying said mods and making the combat serviceable and the graphics good.

And...

yPvBQKb.gif

I just can't bring myself to play anymore. I'm 18 hours in and this game is just far too "woke" for me. I'm going to have to drop this, sadly. I'm frustrated because I really like the world design and the core gameplay loop.

Everything EviLore EviLore and others have mentioned in this thread rings true.

The wiki page for the game says that Leonard Boyarsky was the writer (well one of them)? I'll be avoiding all games by the team and the associated writers going forwards. The content they produce now is just not for me.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
And...

yPvBQKb.gif

I just can't bring myself to play anymore. I'm 18 hours in and this game is just far too "woke" for me. I'm going to have to drop this, sadly. I'm frustrated because I really like the world design and the core gameplay loop.

Everything EviLore EviLore and others have mentioned in this thread rings true.

The wiki page for the game says that Leonard Boyarsky was the writer (well one of them)? I'll be avoiding all games by the team and the associated writers going forwards. The content they produce now is just not for me.

I'm clearly way behind you, I can't imagine what could possibly lead me to the point you're at with as much fun as I'm having. I'm waiting to run into whatever the hell it is you're reacting to.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm clearly way behind you, I can't imagine what could possibly lead me to the point you're at with as much fun as I'm having. I'm waiting to run into whatever the hell it is you're reacting to.

Don't let anyone's opinions get in the way of your enjoyment! You may very well just feel differently about the same things and more power to you if that lets you have a great time.

drganon

I'm several hours in and I'm really digging it. It doesn't have the sprawl or wanderlust of a fallout or elder scrolls, but it hasn't crashed, bugged out, made a quest to impossible to finish, or had a single digit frame rate at times, so it had that going for it among others.

Zeypher

Game is good no doubt even with all the bs politics involved BUT it is not old Obsidian good. The game lacks a quality in its writing which was generally assumed to be a part of Obsidian games atleast until New vegas. The game also suffers from lack of lore. We got a diet mass effect without the codex. For the next game in this series they need writers to actually flesh out their game which will help in solidifying their ideas for the series going forward. I will say though a modded fallout 4 can give you more fun that this IF you can stand the loading screen BS in fallout 4.

I think I’m done. About 20 hrs in and I think I saw everything it has to offer.

Gave it a good shake but the game is just way too boring, has some of the most blandly written companions I have ever seen and the agenda the game is constantly trying to push ....Its just not worth wasting my time any longer.

Komatsu

Finished the game myself the day before yesterday, clocking about 18h.

I have usually play every new Fallout game 3 to 5 times, exploring every nook and cranny, doing sidequests, etc.

In this particular case, I just ran out of patience. The plot did not grip me, most of the interactions were boring. The "woke" stuff never bothered me - the old Fallout were really progressive in outlook if you dive deep into it - but surely they could have a couple more male characters who are not complete buffoons?

Also, what the frick was the Chairman doing in that prison? Broadcasting from a meteor?

IKSTUGA

Wow, what a disappointment of a game. For the first 6-7 hours I was fucking ecstatic about the game, everything just seemed to click, after that, not so much... The woke garbage just kills the immersion for me. There is a reason, why guys are usually at the top of the food chain. If the ladies in the game were aliens, I could have let it go, but our species just doesn't produce ambitious, aggressive and competitive wamen at this rate, sorry. Unbelievable feminist poop. Pretty fun to play while listening to a podcast, just remember to kill everything and everyone.

Just beat it and thought it was great, BUT 2 things really bring it down for me: the ending, and the crew.
SPOILERS
the whole game there's a buildup to a standoff with the board but I randomly bumped into the chairman in a room with 1 sentry bot and have a chat where I could just walk away for some reason? Instant murdered of course but was so insignificant!

REALLY though, the crew. Sam is the only one I liked, but he's still just a robot and doesn't make real conversation. Parvati was okay at first but shes so naive and the forced romance that took foreverr to prepare for sucked. And really just made me realize as I played the game that there's no romance for the player, like not even flirtatious quips with other characters. Nyoka's just a lush with "damaged" tattooed on her forehead. Ellie's just an edgy byzantium kid, slightly redeemed by actually going out and adventuring but is such a try hard. Max could have been a badass ex vicar but goes a step too far for 'enlightenment' idgaf about. Aand felix I admit I let him on the ship and never talked to him again, he reminded me too much of eric foreman from that 70s show

Last edited:
Top Bottom