• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Path To Die - Hotline Japan, top-down feudal samurai action, Kickstarter soon

Just discovered this today
r7ujtqX.gif
http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-path-to-die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9PO6lFh4Yc
For PC, Mac, Linux

Travel to Feudal Japan as one of the most lethal Samurai warriors. Immerse yourself in a story of action and intrigue, exploring the vast lands surrounding the Imperial Palace in a detailed 2D pixel art adventure.

w6CJTw5.png

In the game we will travel to Feudal Japan, during a period of change in which we become a Samurai without work, whose only aim is to once again be useful. In this adventure we will visit different areas of a large Imperial Palace with its huge gardens, pagodas, cemeteries, villas and lakes where we have to infiltrate and face a large number of enemies guarding it in search of something impossible that is believed to be lost.

The artwork of the Path To Die is characterized by the influence of beautiful traditional Japanese art and its peculiar way of illustrating battles and characters.
CoU9TcPWYAAUcuH.jpg
CoPGVlyWYAABh0t.jpg

04QUykm.jpg

The combat system is one of the most important aspects of the Path To Die and is designed to be played with a gamepad, because unlike other games in which we attack by pressing buttons, here the various attacks are performed by moving the right hand stick.For this they have developed specific controls designed so that, in an intuitive and fun way, the player can attack in different ways according to the movement that the stick makes. Thus if the player, for example, takes a semicircle from left to right, they will attack in that way.
13647128_10210285409434307_1863821094_o.jpg

FRBiCvi.png

Zukkoyaki

Looks really cool! Though using the analog stick for combat has me a tad concerned. That could be amazing and intuitive or infuriating.

Zubz

Banned
EDIT: Oh! Hotline Japan was just a nickname. My bad!

Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for Hotline Miami, but I can see myself having fun with this. Looks great, and I definitely hope it has an OST to match!

I really don't like that name. Hotline Miami worked as a title because its story heavily involved phones.
"Hotline Japan" is my description, not the devs. Quick shorthand to get across the idea of gory top-down combat and of the setting

This is supposed to be story-driven adventure across an open map
jZUHDjE.jpg

I really don't like that name. Hotline Miami worked as a title because its story heavily involved phones. This is all first-impression stuff, but it looks like Hotline Japan is just called that because it looks like Hotline Miami, but in feudal Japan. Before there were Hotlines.

That said, the fact that it looks so much like Hotline Miami makes it seem interesting otherwise! Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for HM, but I can see myself having fun with this.
What? Its called The Path To Die.

Ah, saw the edit!

The combat looks very slow paced compared to Hotline Miami. Not sure about this one.
Hotline Miami comparison was mainly for the gory combat, pixel art, and perspective. Probably a poor comparison on my part

===

Got some more details from the devs

- An open adventure through the Imperial Palace: different gardens, houses, lakes, pagodas, cemeteries
- You have limited stamina so which attacks to use when and where, and when to defend is crucial to defeating enemies. Fighting in a tight interior vs open exterior requires different attacks
- You have two weapons, the Katana and Bow
- Compared to old-school Zelda or Resident Evil, as you need to find and use keys and other items to unlock new areas, solve puzzles, and defeat bosses. For example, collecting a shovel to dig up something in the cemetery
- Team is focusing on accurately portraying the era's buildings, weapons, samurai attack movements, etc.
- Enemies attack with different weapons and skills

xzeldax3

I love everything about Hotline Miami's gameplay, so if this game can be as fast paced and brutal as HM, then I'm in!

Randomizer

"Hotline Japan" is my description, not the devs. Quick shorthand to get across the idea of gory top-down combat and of the setting

This is supposed to be story-driven adventure across an open map
jZUHDjE.jpg
So it's a big open world 2D action adventure game? I am getting Legacy of Kain vibes for some reason.

Top Bottom