• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The people have spoken: Remakes/Remasters > Backwards Compatibility

onQ123

With GameCube , PS3 /Xbox 360 remakes taking up prime dead space in the charts this month & saying you haven't seen the last of us it's clear that people would rather have games remade to take advantage of the new hardware than to get small BC enhancements.

xHmSPAM.jpg

Last edited:

Aenima

BC is amazing especially for last gen games, but personaly, I dont use it for older games. Back in my PS3 that had full BC, i just played FF7 and Silent Hill (PS1 games) and i bought them, sinse my original FF7 i own is for PC. And Shadow of the Colossus was the only PS2 games i played, and was more to try the BC of the console. Thats it, i used BC on that console for 3 games.

I think console manufactors should always aim to make they consoles as retrocompatible as possible, but if theres a remake of a game i already own, I will want to play the Remake version more than booting the original.

feynoob

You kind have to buy some of these remakes on PS5, while Xbox have some sort of BC list, while PC is full BC system.

The issue however is the graphics. Most people won't tolerate old graphics. They want new graphics.

Flabagast

OP seems to be logically deficient, that could be explained by a lack of education or low IQ. Probably both.

How can you compare BC with sales of remakes as the point of BC it to replay your previous games for free (and thus they cannot appear in the charts, duh) ?

Recommendation would be to block this thread, and potentially ban OP.

MarkMe2525

?? I don't see how one could come to this conclusion as that is not what the data speaks too. All this shows is nostalgia is powerful and people are willing to invest in a "sure thing" product they already have positive feelings about. This info doesn't speak to the general gaming populations feelings on BC in any capacity.

I have to say while I rarely agree with O onQ123 , he usually presents better arguments than what is being presented here. The claim is based on a fallacy, and OP should consider this one a clear L. In saying that, we have all had a bad take or two at some point.

Last edited:

dezzy8

OP seems to be logically deficient, that could be explained by a lack of education or low IQ. Probably both.

How can you compare BC with sales of remakes as the point of BC it to replay your previous games for free (and thus they cannot appear in the charts, duh) ?

Recommendation would be to block this thread, and potentially ban OP.
You don’t have to insult dude and call for him being banned. I get his point. The original RE4 is a game that is easily obtainable on damn near any console if you want to play it and the remake is at the top of the charts.

oji-san

Banned
I think it depends. On games from two or more generations ago, I'd rather have a remaster. For games from last gen, BC with upscaling is fine.
I agree, it depends on the game, i would never played RE4 again with the way it controls, and the remake looks awesome so that great for me, never played Silent Hill so would love to played a modern remake, but for games like The Last of Us part 2.. it looks and play wonderfully after getting a 60fps patch and i was very satisfied when played, like it i think a game like RDR 2 would be amazing with 60fps patch and no more needed but if we didn't get one yet then we won't get one probably.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
We need both because some game will never get remake or remaster, I mean I can still play games like Gravity Rush 2 and Sekiro on my PS5 thanks to Backwards Compatibility.

onQ123

?? I don't see how one could come to this conclusion as that is not what the data speaks too. All this shows is nostalgia is powerful and people are willing to invest in a "sure thing" product they already have positive feelings about. This info doesn't speak to the general gaming populations feelings on BC in any capacity.

I have to say while I rarely agree with O onQ123 , he usually presents better arguments than what is being presented here. The claim is based on a fallacy, and OP should consider this one a clear L. In saying that, we have all had a bad take or two at some point.
You & most people in this thread missed the forest for the trees 😂

The thread is really about all the remakes / remasters taking over the charts

oji-san

Banned
What exactly aren't we being given a choice of? I seem to be able to play my original games on my original console just fine. BC is a privilege, not a right.

People could play RE4HD on Series S/X for the last few years now.
Yeah i agree, without a remake i would never played RE4 again or play for the first time Silent Hill 2 so for me there's definitely a room for remakes.

j.k.2021

Banned
Stupid Apple to oranges comparison.People wants Backwards Compatibility so they can keep the game they paid for on newer platforms.

MarkMe2525

You & most people in this thread missed the forest for the trees 😂

The thread is really about all the remakes / remasters taking over the charts
No, that is apparent. "What's old is new". The claim that this fact has anything to do with the ability to play an older version of game is misguided.

If I'm interpreting your stance incorrectly, I apologize. I could agree with the claim that for someone who has never played the original RE4, that the new release would be a more enjoyable experience in most cases. That though does not change the fact that the OG RE4 was one of the best games if it's era, and personally I value the ability to play the greats of their time very highly.

These remakes, while based on a previous game, are in many cases brand new creations. Even when they are not (TLoU1), like you stated earlier, they are built to take advantage of "Next Gen" features that the community has been clamoring for. The fact that they are selling phenomenally well has no bearing on the implied preference, of BC enhancements or Remake, by the consumer. The fact of the matter is that, in many cases, gamers can have both.

One last point, if we look at the movie industry, it has been going down a similar path for the past decade+. Studios have found great financial success in remaking or reimagining an existing property. In many cases, the new incarnation of the property will be viewed by many more people and make more money than the original, but I don't think many would agree that movie goers prefer the remakes over the originals.

However, there is a flaw in this analogy as it can be argued that the manner in which movies are presented has had the luxury of being standardized for more than a half a century, which can't be said for video games that were made 20 years ago. (If this doesn't make sense, I understand as I had a hard time articulating what I wanted to say due to my screaming baby)

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I have only bought one remaster I think.. maybe 2. Metroid prime is one recent.

I Really dont care for them.

cireza

Just bought Metroid Prime Remastered. Booted the original on CRT after a couple hours, it was instantly better. More playable, less dark, no motion blur, and 4/3 is simply much more adapted to the level layout overall, as there is a lot of verticality.

And this is supposed to be one of the best remaster evaaaa. It certainly is fine, but it is pointless as well. BC is always good enough. Make new games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom