• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The people have spoken: Remakes/Remasters > Backwards Compatibility

Wooxsvan

as fortold by the messiah

giphy.gif
pretty much. he wasnt looking at fake data when he said this.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Just bought Metroid Prime Remastered. Booted the original on CRT after a couple hours, it was instantly better. More playable, less dark, no motion blur, and 4/3 is simply much more adapted to the level layout overall, as there is a lot of verticality.

And this is supposed to be one of the best remaster evaaaa. It certainly is fine, but it is pointless as well. BC is always good enough. Make new games.

I agree. I have zero interest in buying the same game over and over. Instead of rehashing Skyrim or TLOU for the 100th time I want new games.

I've replayed tons of games, the Mass Effect trilogy, Dead Space trilogy, Alan Wake, Bioshock 1&2 and lots more. They've all held up really well. The only game I'd like a remake is TES Morrowind with modern QL conveniences.

onQ123

No, that is apparent. "What's old is new". The claim that this fact has anything to do with the ability to play an older version of game is misguided.

If I'm interpreting your stance incorrectly, I apologize. I could agree with the claim that for someone who has never played the original RE4, that the new release would be a more enjoyable experience in most cases. That though does not change the fact that the OG RE4 was one of the best games if it's era, and personally I value the ability to play the greats of their time very highly.

These remakes, while based on a previous game, are in many cases brand new creations. Even when they are not (TLoU1), like you stated earlier, they are built to take advantage of "Next Gen" features that the community has been clamoring for. The fact that they are selling phenomenally well has no bearing on the implied preference, of BC enhancements or Remake, by the consumer. The fact of the matter is that, in many cases, gamers can have both.

One last point, if we look at the movie industry, it has been going down a similar path for the past decade+. Studios have found great financial success in remaking or reimagining an existing property. In many cases, the new incarnation of the property will be viewed by many more people and make more money than the original, but I don't think many would agree that movie goers prefer the remakes over the originals.

However, there is a flaw in this analogy as it can be argued that the manner in which movies are presented has had the luxury of being standardized for more than a half a century, which can't be said for video games that were made 20 years ago. (If this doesn't make sense, I understand as I had a hard time articulating what I wanted to say due to my screaming baby)
What I'm saying is that this isn't actually a Remake vs BC thread but more about the fact that remakes / remasters are doing really well despite these games being playable using BC for years.

The Last Of Us even has a remaster that can be played on PS5 through BC yet the $70 Remake is at the top 5 of the charts

MarkMe2525

What I'm saying is that this isn't actually a Remake vs BC thread but more about the fact that remakes / remasters are doing really well despite these games being playable using BC for years.

The Last Of Us even has a remaster that can be played on PS5 through BC yet the $70 Remake is at the top 5 of the charts
Begs the question, would things be the same if we weren't starved of content with meaningful differences in visual quality from last gen. You have a handful of games on PS5 and only two I can think of on Xbox that fit this description. This gen sure hasn't panned out the way I was expecting thus far.

onQ123

Begs the question, would things be the same if we weren't starved of content with meaningful differences in visual quality from last gen. You have a handful of games on PS5 and only two I can think of on Xbox that fit this description. This gen sure hasn't panned out the way I was expecting thus far.
I think Hogwarts Legacy changed things a little because from a Dev / Publisher view making games that can be sold across PS4 , PS5, Xbox One , Xbox Series & run on lower end PCs was just the smartest choice to make up until this point.

How did Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart , The Medium & other current gen only games do up until now?

Right now PS5 is selling enough to carry current gen only games & Hogwarts Legacy showed this without being an current gen exclusive.

StueyDuck

Banned
Well if done properly it makes old games new again where the other is just old games...

BC is awesome and should be done by every publisher. But I doubt many people are diving into older games compared to those playing remakes (also newer fans for the game)

onQ123

lol spoken like someone with only 1 option
You're like the 4th person I seen talking this no other choice stuff 😂

You can play The Last Of Us on PS5 through BC , You can play Dead Space & RE4 on Xbox Series X/S & PC through BC, you could play Metroid Prime on Switch through the subscription.

Fox Mulder

New remasters and remakes will always chart with people buying them at release. BC lets you play games you already have or pick up cheap used.

I don’t really see the relevance.

jayj

Banned
Well obviously remakes are going to sell better than games that can be bought easily and cheaply used.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Here is the problem, if there was no backwards compatibility how could I able to play games like Sakura Wars (PS4) on my PS5? This game is too niche and not popular enough ever get a remaster.

Usually only well known games might get remaster/remake, there are very rare case niche gets remaster like Grimgrimoire and Ghost Trick but that doesn't always happen.

I like remaster/remakes but backwards compatibility is a must.

Last edited:

Loxus

Gamers are so confusing at times.

They talk about wanting to play BC games (PS1,2&3 gen) but yet complain about a games releasing on PS5/XBSX at 1080p, 30fps or with PS4 graphics.

Hurts my head sometimes.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
With GameCube , PS3 /Xbox 360 remakes taking up prime dead space in the charts this month & saying you haven't seen the last of us it's clear that people would rather have games remade to take advantage of the new hardware than to get small BC enhancements.

I mean, you can have both, but Remakes aren't just about tarting up the old version of the game or its controls. Sometimes it is about outright changing the game in ways that weren't possible when the game first came out (FF7R for a pitch perfect example of this).

. . .but yes, I would say the chorus of people who would rather have a remake or a remaster (not sure why that one is being lumped in; why wouldn't you want to play the game in its best state - if you want original state, shouldn't you also be playing on the original hardware for purities sake).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Where do you have stats for backwards compatibility or emulation? Until then fake news and ur g...alright

Naked Lunch

Have fun re-buying the stuff you purchased years ago - over and over again.
Its Nintendo's and Sony's entire business model these days. WiiU's library was dried up - now its on to GC.

As for all the remasters - its funny but they almost always end up worse than the original in one way or another.

For me personally, the past few years ive restored all my old consoles - got a quality upscaler. I already bought all this stuff years ago.
And on Xbox, Im able to still play most of the stuff I bought dating back to 2001 on my new Series console.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Considering all the forever broken “remasters” plus all the games that are forever de-listed (SSX3 and Sonic 3 with OG music), we at least need both.

angrod14

You can't remake/remaster everything. And we're in a context where most of the consumer base have been building large digital libraries (most of the sales are digital now), and it's bad business to shit on that by suddenly not allowing the transition of those games to the new plataform.

Also, remakes/remasters don't necessarily replace the OG versions, they're just a modern take. People would still want to have access to the originals.

Last edited:

LRKD

Xbox is king for having the best backwards compatibility rn. PC can't be topped there though. I don't mind ports if console makers refuse to do backwards compatibility, but I sure as hell don't want remakes, remasters, or anything of the kind. Just port the damn game, if retard zoomers can't handle the classics, that's their problem. Save the money for a new game don't waste it on already fun and playable games.
Game devs really do want to just be Hollywood with endless sequels and remakes smh.

Top Bottom